Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Gettin ready for the interview! Good luck everyone and enjoy the day!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted more than the required LORs.

The windows are nice in both the OMM/PCM lab and the anatomy lab. Especially when you get to see coyotes chasing rabbits or prairie dogs, or the cows that are frequently outside... or the other animals (birds, hawks, etc)... it's nice... the auditoriums are actually the dungeons... all the library study rooms have windows, and the 3rd floor study rooms have sky lights...

ii yesterday. Complete 9/3-ish

31, Un- 3.4, Gr- 3.7

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my interview this morning. I thought that I was excited about this school before the interview, but my excitement has skyrocketed. Felt that the interview went well. Can't wait to hear back. The school is VERY nice and the students/faculty are some of the nicest people.

Had my interview this morning. I thought that I was excited about this school before the interview, but my excitement has skyrocketed. Felt that the interview went well. Can't wait to hear back. The school is VERY nice and the students/faculty are some of the nicest people.

I'm so glad it went well for you! Best of luck- I'm sure you'll get good news soon! :)

First rejection here. Oh well, already have acceptances!

If we interviewed last Thursday should we be hearing from them sometime this week? And if its rejection it's a letter?

No, if you're rejected you won't be able to log into the portal, and they'll send you an email.

No, if you're rejected you won't be able to log into the portal, and they'll send you an email.

But don't freak out if you can't log in temporarily. I couldn't log into the portal right around the time of my acceptance. I'd just wait for the email or phone call so you don't needlessly worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
But don't freak out if you can't log in temporarily. I couldn't log into the portal right around the time of my acceptance. I'd just wait for the email or phone call so you don't needlessly worry.

Ok good to know, otherwise I would've definitely freaked! Thank you!

Interviewed here on 10/9. Hoping to hear back this week!

Accepted!! I feel very honored, I know this year has been pretty competitive and it makes me feel humbled they would like me to attend.

I was placed on Alternate List, Interviewed 10/17, OOS GPA 3.7 MCAT 29. I liked the school and students. The guy that interviewed me looked not happy to be there, but not a big deal. What are my chances of getting in? How long is the wait?

Interviewing here on Nov. 5 in the afternoon, on my very first visit to Colorado. Is there anything that I need to be aware of that is specific to the interview process at RVU? This will be my third interview, so I am familiar with the generic interview day information. I will also be in town before and after the interview, so does anyone have a suggestion for things to see and do? Or places to eat, I really like good food.

Interviewing here on Nov. 5 in the afternoon, on my very first visit to Colorado. Is there anything that I need to be aware of that is specific to the interview process at RVU? This will be my third interview, so I am familiar with the generic interview day information. I will also be in town before and after the interview, so does anyone have a suggestion for things to see and do? Or places to eat, I really like good food.
This interview for me was very conversational and low stress. If you have the generic questions down like, why do you want to be a physician? Why Osteopathic medicine? Why RVU? Then you will be fine. I'm not from Colorado so I can't answer specific questions about restaurants and such but I'm sure Denver has everything. Maybe I'll see you next year as I just paid my first deposit. Good luck!

What kind of food? How much time do you have the days before/after?

The food isn't the greatest but if you want to try something different, give casa bonita a chance.

Hickory house has decent BBQ, Real De Minas has great Mexican, Crave burgers, there are more if you let me know what you're looking for!

Is there a facebook group or forum yet for accepted students?

If you would like to set one up or have one set up, contact the department of student services...

Hickory house has decent BBQ, Real De Minas has great Mexican, Crave burgers, there are more if you let me know what you're looking for!
I love anything ethnic! Hispanic, Indian, Mediterranean foods are all delicious in my mind. In Minneapolis, we have a lot of variety and I like to try new things. I've been eating a lot of burgers recently... so I should probably shy away from those, although that BBQ sounds tasty. I'll be flying in the day before, landing in DEN at about 3pm and leaving either Nov. 5 or Nov. 6.
I'm also a big outdoors person; hiking, camping, fishing, skiing all float my boat.

Hey people, I forgot to mention, if you're renting a car, make sure to ask the school for the housing list for your interview. People like me have spare rooms and allow interviewees to stay for free!

Interviewing here in two weeks, I am from Utah and have been attending a masters program in PA. Very excited to get back out west! I am interested in staying with a current student if possible. I plan on sending an e-mail to the address they gave in the interview packet. If anyone has any tips on this they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Hope everyone is having a good weekend :)

Yeah, send the email, they'll give you a list of people to contact, and you contact the people yourself...

Just withdrew from my interview- hope it goes to one of you great candidates!

gl

Just withdrew my acceptance from here. My wife and I decided it's just not for us, it's a great school though. I hope this goes out to someone very deserving! Good luck everyone :)

Hi everyone,

I am going to be interviewing at this school on 12/4 and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on where I should stay and the modes of transportation to get to the school. I am from CA and will be going to CO via airplane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I am going to be interviewing at this school on 12/4 and was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on where I should stay and the modes of transportation to get to the school. I am from CA and will be going to CO via airplane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
DIA is 30+ miles from Parker, so a cab would likely be $$. If you aren't renting a car, maybe try the Super Shuttle? I have no personal experience with it but have heard it is a lot cheaper. Parker is really safe and suburban, no "bad area" to worry about if you stay near the school.

There is the RTD Sky Ride http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyride.shtml, and it is not expensive ~$10. If you stay at Red Lion Hotel, I believe they will pick you up from the airport, bring you to the school, and possibly bring you back to the airport... That is my understanding, so you should check on it. Also, as I said before, talk to the school there are students, like myself, who offer our extra space to people, and a rental car is generally cheaper than a hotel... Just sayin... :)

There is the RTD Sky Ride http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyride.shtml, and it is not expensive ~$10. If you stay at Red Lion Hotel, I believe they will pick you up from the airport, bring you to the school, and possibly bring you back to the airport... That is my understanding, so you should check on it. Also, as I said before, talk to the school there are students, like myself, who offer our extra space to people, and a rental car is generally cheaper than a hotel... Just sayin... :)

Ah thank you for the tips! I received a list of names of people who may be willing to offer a space to sleep, but I am nervous about contacting them via phone >.>. This is my first interview and I feel overwhelmed. I just don't want to screw up anything because RVUCOM is one of my top choices.

Yes, they do! Free transportation round trip to and from the school on interview day and to and from the airport whenever you fly in/out. Free breakfast and wifi too. I did it early October and it went very smoothly. Just PM'd you. Let me know if you have any questions!
Edit: i think it was about 75-80$ for the night which was more than the rental car since I'm under 25.

I don't know how full the slots are, but I'm about to withdraw my a.m. interview spot for next Wednesday (11/13/2013) if anyone is interested.

Had my interview Monday, 11/4 with Drs. Kruse and Choudhury. Here's to hoping for a call next week sometime!

(3.75cGPA, 3.5sGPA, 29/26 MCAT, 800+ volunteer hours, 1500+ direct care hours)

Just got the call! Officially accepted into the class of 2018 at my #1 choice! I'll see you in the fall! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Ah thank you for the tips! I received a list of names of people who may be willing to offer a space to sleep, but I am nervous about contacting them via phone >.>. This is my first interview and I feel overwhelmed. I just don't want to screw up anything because RVUCOM is one of my top choices.
I was nervous just like you. The truth is, the students and families are friendly and extra helpful. The people on that list volunteered because we all know how tight of a budget we are all on as students. Don't sweat it, just call them up, tell them when your interview is and ask if they would have space for you to stay while you visit.

Congrats to all those acceptances! I look forward to meeting you all next fall. For those interviewing this week, I'm sure I see you around while you take your tour. Just remember to relax and enjoy the day. Yeah, yeah, I know that's way easier said than done.

I don't bite, heck, my house has a hot tub! I also have 3 dogs, how bad can I be?? I know there's a bunch of students that host, & I do it for the reasons jas cited... You guys don't have money, and I have a spare bedroom!

Interviewed on 11/06. Accepted 11/11. 3.46 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA and 30 MCAT. I almost turned down the interview, but I'm glad I didn't! I was impressed with the school and surrounding area.