Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted and attending here class of 2018- If anyone has any questions about the process when it gets to that point, let me know! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard it's tough to get an interview here but they also accept a crazy 70-80% of their interviewees. Is this true? What were your stats if you don't mind? Also, my undergrad major was Athletic Training, heavily patient-centered. Do you think RVU is compatible? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes as far as I know that's true regarding their high post-interview acceptance rate! I really enjoyed that they didn't waste our time and money by asking everyone for an interview. I had a 3.6 sGPA, 3.7 cGPA, and a 29 MCAT. Yeah I think as long as you took a few higher level science courses, AT should be totally fine! If there's anything else, let me know, or feel free to PM me as well!

Accepted and attending here class of 2018- If anyone has any questions about the process when it gets to that point, let me know! :)

For the secondary essay prompt "Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician," would you suggest putting something in particular, or is this prompt mainly to explain application deficiencies, troubles, etc?

I'm a post-bac student who went back to school to take pre-reqs. I have zero upper level biology classes though, but I want to apply here. I've heard not having those classes hurts.

For the secondary essay prompt "Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician," would you suggest putting something in particular, or is this prompt mainly to explain application deficiencies, troubles, etc?
I used that space to update them on any changes that had taken place since I submitted the primary. I had just started a new job, so I talked about that. But I honestly don't know what answer fits there best. I would wait to write that one until you get to that point!

I'm a post-bac student who went back to school to take pre-reqs. I have zero upper level biology classes though, but I want to apply here. I've heard not having those classes hurts.
They do like upper level classes, but that doesn't mean they don't take people who don't have them. I know of a couple of non-science majors that took the prereqs and were accepted, so it is possible.

They do like upper level classes, but that doesn't mean they don't take people who don't have them. I know of a couple of non-science majors that took the prereqs and were accepted, so it is possible.

Cool! I will definitely be applying here then

I'm taking the tour of campus on July 17th with transcript review. Anyone else going to be there?

Also, should I dress like for an interview? They just said to wear comfortable shoes.

Nope, the event is very relaxed. Just dress comfortable.

Does anybody know how this school looks at grad school. I graduated from Tulane's masters of pharmacology with a 3.94 gpa but my undergrad was only a 3.2 science and non science.

just received the secondary invite

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you guys mind posting the secondary prompts?

Note: There is no character limit for the essay responses. If copying text from Microsoft Office, please paste your response using the icon that looks like a clipboard with a “W” (located on the far right of the toolbar above each response field). This will retain the original formatting.

Feel free to include a resume’. You may cut and paste it into the space below, or if you are having formatting issues you may email the resume’ to[email protected].

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to include a resume.
2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?
3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician? * *Required
4. Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine? * *Required
5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic profession? * *Required
Have you ever been charged with a criminal offense? All information regarding offenses must be disclosed regardless of adjudication (including juvenile offenses, sealed, expunged or dismissed charges; any charges that are pending; any charges regardless of how much time has elapsed since the incident, etc.). Failure to disclose could result in the revocation of your acceptance to RVU. Further, any incidences occurring after acceptance and prior to matriculation must also be brought immediately to the attention of the Executive Director of Admissions and Marketing. Any incident occurring while you are a student at RVU must be reported immediately to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. An additional background check will be run prior to starting clinical rotations at the end of your second year. Any blemish on the background check may result in dismissal from RVU, failure to be accepted for clinical rotations, not being considered for a residency program, or failure to receive a license to practice medicine. RVU reserves the right to request additional information as needed regarding anything appearing on the background check and is not responsible for consequences occurring as a result of any information contained on any background check.

Select One Yes No *Required
7. If yes, explain completely

8. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

I know they said we don't have a restriction, but what do you guys think is a good length? I'm trying to make mine 300-500 words.

My answers last year varied from 100-400. Answer completely, but don't be wordy just to be wordy.

Does being employed during the school year include an unpaid internship in a research lab or nah?

When did you guys submit your applications? I submitted mine on opening day (June 3rd) but still don't have any secondaries. Is that fairly typical? Or do they just not want me around? lol

Hi all applying! I'm a 2nd year at RVU and happy to answer any individual questions, just PM me!

To answer some in the forum

I would suggest upper level Biology but RVU has definitely accepted students without it. However, your first year may be very difficult so be prepared but they'll tell you all about how to do that when you get in.

We have several PhD's in our class and a licensed chiropractor, and an RN. That kind of experience is not required or expected but they absolutely do not look negatively on it. It adds to the diversity of the class.

What RVU looks for is people who are team players. People who will adapt well to the community feel of RVU.

It's a great school. VERY challenging. I had trouble my first semester but rocked it after that. I don't have anything bad to say about my experience, my trouble came from personal life and a longer time to adjust to the difference in medical school studying vs. undergrad studying(which I never did), but once I got it...I got it...and you will too so don't worry about that right now.

If you like a smaller school where you get a chance to get to know faculty and enjoy being in a tight knit class then this is the place for you. The entire faculty and staff takes a lot of pride in the school and they are really focused in making sure we are ready to not only take and pass board exams, but to excel in our 3rd and 4th year rotations and beyond. They really do listen to the student's opinions and needs. I've seen curriculum changes made based off student feedback. I feel comfortable going up to many of the faculty and talking to them about ideas. Most are open to that kind of talk as long as it's respectful(just like talking to a boss at a job...you get listened to unless you are an a** about it).

The only downside is the cost of living by RVU is very high. However, it's a nice area and if you don't mind commuting there are some more affordable areas within a 20min drive. Living with roommates is the best option so keep that in mind. Then there is all the recreation Colorado has to offer...hiking, biking, skiing/snowboarding, running, and plenty of community festivals, concerts, etc. This is not a boring place to live...but that also means lots of distraction so keep that in mind. From what I know the distraction of being in such an awesome state hasn't been what's caused anyone to have problems.

Be yourself in your application...show a team spirit and as long as your basic stats pan out you have a really great chance of getting in no matter what your background is. I was accepted with a low MCAT...but high GPA and very high science GPA. I had a lot of research experience, lots of upper level Biology, but not much shadowing or community volunteering. I know a classmate who was accepted with just the opposite so there really is no formula. They look for diversity and at personality.

Does being employed during the school year include an unpaid internship in a research lab or nah?

To answer that directly, they don't want you employed in a health field...treating patients, etc. However I worked in a research lab most of my first year, although that did cause me some problems academically. I was trying to stay devoted to my research and trying to study...and there just wasn't enough time for most of the year. I would suggest if you are doing research that you take off the first few months of medical school so you can get your bearings and figure out how long it takes you to study. It's different for everyone but it will be at least triple what you had to do in undergrad.

Also with anatomy, clinical medicine, and osteopathic manipulative medicine labs your time for studying will be very limited in first semester so unless you plan on 5 hours a week of half hearted research I would give it a rest until you have gotten through most of 1st year unless you are just finishing up a project or something. It was nice this summer to go back into the lab and be able to actually think about what I was doing rather then be hurried because I was panicked about having enough time to study for my exams. I had completely underestimated the time I would need to study. That's normal though...no one really gets it until you are in the midst of it. You will have plenty of time for research in the summer between 1st and 2nd year so if at all possible I would talk to your PI and see if you can finish what you are doing then.

Also...at the end of first year in the PBD courses you will also have more free time. That's when I went back to the lab. A lot of people took their Robbin's book on vacation and did other things...but I started getting in 10 hours a week at the lab during that time. I stopped working in the lab after October of first year until the PBD course...especially when you have muscle-skeletal course and then Nuero...there won't be time to breathe let alone do research.

Does anyone know if they have a strong regional bias? Im applying from norcal

Edit: their website states: The College is dedicated to recruiting, supporting and providing an osteopathic medical education for students from Colorado and the Mountain West region, yet welcomes students from across the country to join us in the shadow of the magnificent Rocky Mountains.

Soo norcal=\= Mtn west. Bummer

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they have a strong regional bias? Im applying from norcal

Edit: their website states: The College is dedicated to recruiting, supporting and providing an osteopathic medical education for students from Colorado and the Mountain West region, yet welcomes students from across the country to join us in the shadow of the magnificent Rocky Mountains.

Soo norcal=\= Mtn west. Bummer
RVUCOM does not have a regional bias; only a commitment to matriculating the students who will be the best fit for their program.

Applying here as an Oregon resident, good luck to all!

I did not work during college, mostly because I was a varsity athlete and considered that my full time job, should i say that on the secondary or just leave the "did you work" question blank?

I did not work during college, mostly because I was a varsity athlete and considered that my full time job, should i say that on the secondary or just leave the "did you work" question blank?

I wouldn't leave it blank. Providing a brief description of that commitment, like the avg. number of hours spent playing/practicing per week, will show that you still had other significant commitments during your studies and that you're able to juggle multiple responsibilities.

Do we have an idea when the admissions committee is going to start looking at secondary apps, and when the first set or two of interviews are going out? I emailed Katie earlier in the month about some other questions I had but haven't heard anything, except for some tech issues I had. Since this is my number 1 school and all.

Do we have an idea when the admissions committee is going to start looking at secondary apps, and when the first set or two of interviews are going out? I emailed Katie earlier in the month about some other questions I had but haven't heard anything, except for some tech issues I had. Since this is my number 1 school and all.

I talked to Katy today and she told me they will begin looking at secondaries in late July. This is my number 1 school as well. So excited to hear something back!

For those of you who are on the fence about RVCOM don't be. This school is awesome. I was one of those 20-30% who got an interview but didn't get accepted because of some silly mistakes in my app and being very nervous during the interview last year. In fact I liked this school so much that I deferred at another school for the opportunity to reapply and hopefully be accepted this round now that I have fixed my mistakes and know what to expect on the interview. This school is totally different then any of the other schools I have visited and interviewed at. That said good luck to you all.
I talked to Katy today and she told me they will begin looking at secondaries in late July. This is my number 1 school as well. So excited to hear something back!
Thanks, I hope to hear back soon as well.

Thanks for the input! May I ask what kind of mistakes you're refering to on your app?
For those of you who are on the fence about RVCOM don't be. This school is awesome. I was one of those 20-30% who got an interview but didn't get accepted because of some silly mistakes in my app and being very nervous during the interview last year. In fact I liked this school so much that I deferred at another school for the opportunity to reapply and hopefully be accepted this round now that I have fixed my mistakes and know what to expect on the interview. This school is totally different then any of the other schools I have visited and interviewed at. That said good luck to you all.

Thanks, I hope to hear back soon as well.

Thanks for the input! May I ask what kind of mistakes you're refering to on your app?
I did not put all my shadowing down, ( I work as a paramedic (20 years) and have had a bunch of shadowing, just didn't list it all). I had some grammatical errors that were missed by several proof readers. Then I didn't list any recent volunteer work even though I had documented 5000+ hours ending four or five years ago. Also, they said they would like to have seen family medical shadowing. So since my interview I added about 150 hours of volunteer work and 40 hours of job shadowing in family medicine in a rural clinic . I hope that helps. I know it seems like I have done a lot, but I failed out of school in 90s, and have had to work really hard to make up for those lower grades. I have a cGPA of 3.4, sGPA 3.3, and an MCAT of 27. I am deferred to SGU but want to stay here in the States, and really want to go to Rocky Vista.

I seriously feel giddy reading about this school. I hope they don't favor the region too heavily being from IL, but this school represents everything I want in a med school. Submitting the secondary today and crossing my fingers!

Also, what a luxury to not have a word or character limit... I don't feel like I have to ramble or cut out anything I wanted to say. Overall good vibes!

2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in
undergraduate school?
I was never employed, but held different leadership positions throughout my time at my school. Do I just say that or leave it blank. The first question is pretty much asking for a resume

I would say just what you said. Shows that you took extra time for commitments and were still successful. So go for it.

MN, CA, TX are the largest feeder states besides CO/Mtn states

Hey everyone! Soon to be OMS-1 here. For those considering Rocky Vista, this is definitely the place to be! Of all the places I interviewed at last year, this was by far the most motivated student body, friendliest faculty, and structured curriculum to help prepare for BOTH COMLEX and USMLE. I'd without a doubt encourage anyone interested to apply, I honestly didn't know about the program this time a year ago, I applied late in January and when I came for the interview I was blown away with RVU and declined all other offers. Even though the AACOMAS and secondaries seem pretty daunting to complete very early, just wanted to encourage you that you definitely have a great chance at getting accepted if you apply now. If you have any questions about RVU, the application, or anything else feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to be of any assistance. Best of luck!!!

Also, if any of you applicants are coming from a 'not-so-rich-&-famous' background, and need help with places to stay, the school maintains a list of student hosts. I am a host, I have a guest room and guest bathroom that I allow people who are interviewing to crash in (for free) if needed. PM me if you need any help!

Reactions: 6 users
Hey guys. So I think I just submitted my application and paid. I got a receipt saying I paid but no confirmation about whether the application has been sent. When I go to view application all my essays are showing up blank. Did anyone else have this problem?

Hey guys. So I think I just submitted my application and paid. I got a receipt saying I paid but no confirmation about whether the application has been sent. When I go to view application all my essays are showing up blank. Did anyone else have this problem?
Not for RVU, but the same thing happened for me for the LMU-COM secondary. Basically I paid and submitted, when I re logged in, my essays were blank. I called the school and the person told me to email her a copy of my essays and she will add them in manually. So give the school a call!

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this week. I emailed them, and Janelle emailed me and told me it was a display error, and that they received anything. I was so shocked after I submitted! Haha...I thought I had to start all over again.

I can't apply until November due to some issues, so do you guys think it will be too late.

GPA-3.5
MCAT-36

No
I can't apply until November due to some issues, so do you guys think it will be too late.

GPA-3.5
MCAT-36
November isn't too late. Last year my application wasn't complete until January 4th. I still got in with one of the last interview groups. Even though I didn't get accepted. I think it is harder the later the year you turn in applications to get II and acceptances but not impossible.

my portal says im complete! woot. im feeling a rejection coming on in my bones.... fingers crossed for a ii tho

Last edited:
Does anyone know when they will start notification for ii?

Do any of the recent matriculants for this fall know what the average MCAT score was for the class of 2018? Thanks!

Does anyone know when they will start notification for ii?
Katy from admissions told me yesterday that they will begin reviewing files either next week, or the week after. Let's hope some IIs can trickle out after that.

Reactions: 2 users