Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I appreciate the info very much, thank you Acapnial! RVU is my 2nd choice behind TCOM. just want to make sure I am putting myself in the best possible situation for success.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I appreciate the info very much, thank you Acapnial! RVU is my 2nd choice behind TCOM. just want to make sure I am putting myself in the best possible situation for success.

With RVU and TCOM (I hear it's a very nice school too) you will be!

so I know that it is kind of late to apply here BUT would you guys say that I MIGHT have a chance??

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete last year in mid to late January, got an interview, but didn't get accepted. So maybe. Definitely put yourself at a little disadvantage because you are competing for less spots. Just for example this round I was complete June something and interviewed on the first day and was accepted. So hope that helps.

so I know that it is kind of late to apply here BUT would you guys say that I MIGHT have a chance??
How are your stats? At this point in the game, I would imagine above average stats/EC's are needed.

How are your stats? At this point in the game, I would imagine above average stats/EC's are needed.

My MCAT is somewhat average, but I would say my GPA is above average and I EC are good.

Last edited:
@Haxx actually I just found the same link haha
but thanks you anyway.
Do you know by any chance if the school interview a lot of people? Until when do they conduct interview?

I live in the Eastern US and so I was looking mainly at schools there. Yet recently I read a lot of positive things about the school, did some more research and I really like what the school has to offer. I wish I could have an interview here...too bad I did not realize it sooner :/ oh well...

P.S. I read your description of RVU...it was great! Very helpful, thanks!

Last edited:
@Haxx actually I just found the same link haha
but thanks you anyway.
Do you know by any chance if the school interview a lot of people? Until when do they conduct interview?

I live in the Eastern US and so I was looking mainly at schools there. Yet recently I read a lot of positive things about the school, did some more research and I really like what the school has to offer. I wish I could have an interview here...too bad I did not realize it sooner :/ oh well...

P.S. I read your description of RVU...it was great! Very helpful, thanks!

Exactly in the same boat!

But those stats posted above are on the high end for DO schools, not sure if I have a shot. I guess it's worth a try... At least I'll have essays ready for next year :)

But those stats posted above are on the high end for DO schools, not sure if I have a shot. I guess it's worth a try... At least I'll have essays ready for next year :)
Remember that those are averages. They really take a global look at the student. So as long as you meet the minimums then apply, the worse case they could say is no thanks. But they could always take a shot at you and you end up in the boat for the ride. So I would say never give up hope based on averages and what is said in other forums.

Remember that those are averages. They really take a global look at the student. So as long as you meet the minimums then apply, the worse case they could say is no thanks. But they could always take a shot at you and you end up in the boat for the ride. So I would say never give up hope based on averages and what is said in other forums.

Thanks, it's definitely worth a shot, sounds like a really great school. I guess at this point in the game I'd need to be a really good fit or contribute something special to the diversity of the class. Ugh, tough job. Do you think RVU has a specific "type" of applicant they like? Things they particularly like to see in your application?

I can't say. I feel like I am different from my other fellow students that I have meet so far. I am not sure what they saw in me except for being driven. So be yourself and present yourself well, as well as show why you want to be there is my advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that many medical schools try to fill their classes by December. Anyone heard that about RVU? I have a January interview here, and am a little worried I might just be interviewing for a wait-list spot. Really hoping I'm not interviewing too late in the season :/

I heard that many medical schools try to fill their classes by December. Anyone heard that about RVU? I have a January interview here, and am a little worried I might just be interviewing for a wait-list spot. Really hoping I'm not interviewing too late in the season :/
RVU is highly selective for who the choose to interview. You will hear this again but if you got an interview that is really really good. They accept around 75% of those they interview. So relax, you are showing them that you are a good fit and visa versa for the school. Be yourself and have fun it will be the most laid back interview you go to, knowing that as long as you are not a jerk or unenthusiastic you are good to go.

Reactions: 2 users
As far as I know people are accepted into April...

@PlasticBag Good luck! ;) Did you already submit your secondary?
I recently added the school to AACOMAA but I am guessing they are closed for Christmas so no secondary for now...

@PlasticBag Good luck! ;) Did you already submit your secondary?
I recently added the school to AACOMAA but I am guessing they are closed for Christmas so no secondary for now...

I just added it as well. I think they release our apps every Tuesday? So hopefully it will happen tomorrow! Fingers crossed for us :)

You are not alone! It was by far the hardest interview I had as well. My interviewers were intimidating and asked a lot of hard questions, mostly about me being out of state and why wouldnt I go somewhere else. I was pretty frazzled during the whole thing and thought I would be rejected as well because of it.

That sounds tough. In mine we mainly talked about football and hiking. Then a little about my previous research. I'm glad I got the "good cop" treatment.

Apply as early as possible. I had a low GPA and a high MCAT, and got rejected first time without an II (applied in September). Applied last cycle in June, secondaries were ready to go the first day available, got into the first round of IIs and was accepted two weeks later.

I just added it as well. I think they release our apps every Tuesday? So hopefully it will happen tomorrow! Fingers crossed for us :)

Yes! I do wish we could get the secondaries before the New Year...and if not than right after the New Year! ;)

Anyway, Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

just scheduled my flight for my interview february 12! any advice for me for those of you who interviewed? i have an interview at campbell in january and then this one...idk if i should be nervous or what cuz its only my second II so far this cycle and i have 0 acceptances...anyone else interviewing on the 12 of feb?

OOS 3.7 cum GPA 3.64 sGPA 3.85 non science GPA bio major chem minor 26/25 MCAT (9/9/8B) and (9P/8V/8B the MCAT just wasnt my thing i guess) with ECs in a hospital, tutoring iraqi refugees english and tutoring genetics at my undergrad school for anyone interested...

scheduled interview for Feb. 10 8 am!! Anyone else scheduled for this day? If so where are you staying? would like to try and find least expensive option (ballin on a budget here), would be down to split a room or anything!

Can anyone tell me what the computer specifications are for this school? Or what you personally recommend for computers? I see they recommend Windows, but will a Macbook Air or Pro be acceptable? (Not accepted yet to RV, just preparing while I have time right now.) Thanks!

scheduled interview for Feb. 10 8 am!! Anyone else scheduled for this day? If so where are you staying? would like to try and find least expensive option (ballin on a budget here), would be down to split a room or anything!
Generally the red lion inn (now called something else, maybe the radisson) has cheapish rooms, and a free shuttle service that has an established deal with the school.

Can anyone tell me what the computer specifications are for this school? Or what you personally recommend for computers? I see they recommend Windows, but will a Macbook Air or Pro be acceptable? (Not accepted yet to RV, just preparing while I have time right now.) Thanks!
As long as its a laptop, it's totally fine and used by many of my classmates. Tablets (with the exception of the surface pro 3) are not compatible with our testing software, however. A MacBook will work great.

I have had several interviewees stay with me, but you would have to rent a car, so check out your options that way! I have used almost every major car rental company and the only one to truly avoid is Advantage. If you're under 25, the cheapest option for additional fees is usually Fox, and then there are some car sharing options like 'relay rides' that can be cost effective!

I have had several interviewees stay with me, but you would have to rent a car, so check out your options that way! I have used almost every major car rental company and the only one to truly avoid is Advantage. If you're under 25, the cheapest option for additional fees is usually Fox, and then there are some car sharing options like 'relay rides' that can be cost effective!

I actually had a good experience with Advantage, but a terrible one with Thrifty.

Last edited:
I missed a flight out of DIA because advantage wouldn't bring me to the airport for 30mns because the driver didn't want to go with only 4 people. Don't ever risk using them at Denver!

ii for Jan 26th!!! I am in the afternoon session, anyone know what time those end? I couldn't find it anywhere, and I need to leave enough time to catch my return flight. thanks...

ii for Jan 26th!!! I am in the afternoon session, anyone know what time those end? I couldn't find it anywhere, and I need to leave enough time to catch my return flight. thanks...
If I remember correctly, I was done by about 4 or 4:30pm.

Hello Everyone!
I am excited to say that i scheduled my interview for january 27th! i am in the process of preparing and stumbled across something that may be upsetting. As an undergraduate student i majored in physics with a minor in biology, and i have not taken biochemistry, with this information will they deny an acceptance? i really like this school and was hoping someone could shed some light on the topic. Hopefully only good news. Thanks

Anybody have a list of the rotation sites?

You should be ok, I was in your position at this time last year bc I hadn't taken biochem or anatomy. I ended up getting accepted on the condition that I took those courses over the summer and I was able to take them in a June-semester start RVU with the rest of the class. Good luck on your interview! By the way your username is awesome

Thanks!
Kinda a physics nerd. And did you take the couses at any institution? because i'm a year out of college so i don't really know where i should take the course. Thanks for your help!

Anybody have a list of the rotation sites?
Denver
Boulder
C. Springs
Greeley
Fort Collins
Pueblo
Cheyenne, WY
Grand Junction
Casper, WY
Provo, UT
Show Low, AZ
Blackfoot, ID
Somewhere in SD
Somewhere in KS

I may be forgetting some, but those are the bulk of them

Generally the red lion inn (now called something else, maybe the radisson) has cheapish rooms, and a free shuttle service that has an established deal with the school.
replied to the wrong person see below lol :p

Last edited:
whoops i replied to the wrong person. I did radisson cuz from what i understand it is what the red lion was. i think i paid 85 bucks for the night with free shuttle service so it worked out.

Thanks!
Kinda a physics nerd. And did you take the couses at any institution? because i'm a year out of college so i don't really know where i should take the course. Thanks for your help!

Apparently some students take online science prerequisites at either University of New England (http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/) or UC Berkeley Extension (http://extension.berkeley.edu/static/online/). I'm a few years out of college too, and was looking for some refreshers, and those two online programs were recommended by a couple schools at which I interviewed.

On my way to Denver tomorrow early morning! So excited! :soexcited:

Hello Everyone!
I am excited to say that i scheduled my interview for january 27th! i am in the process of preparing and stumbled across something that may be upsetting. As an undergraduate student i majored in physics with a minor in biology, and i have not taken biochemistry, with this information will they deny an acceptance? i really like this school and was hoping someone could shed some light on the topic. Hopefully only good news. Thanks

Your interviewers will not have access to your courses or grades, so it will not impact the admissions decision. However biochem is a requirement for matriculation, so you will have to take it.

Hi all. I'm in DENVER! Interviewing tomorrow am. STOKED! And/or terrified... I'm staying at Ramada. Anyone else?

Does anyone know if online biochemistry, from either UC Berkley or UNE, fulfill the requirement?

Have my interview on the 9th, anyone have any tips?

Hey everyone, interviewing tomorrow morning! Very excited about the day and getting to meet all my fellow RVU medical students (hopefully). Class of 2019!

For those of you that have interviewed/been accepted: What specific aspects of RVUCOM attracted you to their program?

For those of you that have interviewed/been accepted: What specific aspects of RVUCOM attracted you to their program?
So for me the biggest thing that attracted me to the school was the community. I know that at the other schools that I interviewed at the student and staff were friendly but it was even better at RVU. The staff appeared that they want everyone to succeed and go out of their way to make every experience t the school comfortable and enjoyable. I also really like the way the teach everyone to be doctors. I feel that the system of first learning the "well" body builds a good foundation for the abnormal or disease processes that we learn in the second year. I also feel that system of teaching has proven successful in terms of average board scores and the match. The last factor for me was the cost, location, and location. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party but I am debating whether or not to submit my secondary here. My stats aren't the best and it seems like this school is very selective for ii's. 3.2sGPA, 3.45cGPA, very good non-science GPA, 26 MCAT. Applying straight out of undergrad with good EC's.

Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party but I am debating whether or not to submit my secondary here. My stats aren't the best and it seems like this school is very selective for ii's. 3.2sGPA, 3.45cGPA, very good non-science GPA, 26 MCAT. Applying straight out of undergrad with good EC's.
You are late the the game but it never hurts anything but your pocket book. The worse thing is that you will see what you need to do for next round, best case scenario is you get in. You will not know unless you apply.

Those stats are not deal breakers, but you may need to have above average clinical experiences, ECs, LORs, and interview to balance your application. Like jsmith522 said- worst case scenario, you will learn how to improve your application for next cycle.