Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How important is a simulation center at medical school? I realize RVUCOM is lacking in this area, and my current acceptance has a wonderful simulation center which almost exactly mimics a hospital/or/emergency room. I am just not sure how much this should factor in my decision if I am given an acceptance to RVU? Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is a simulation center at medical school? I realize RVUCOM is lacking in this area, and my current acceptance has a wonderful simulation center which almost exactly mimics a hospital/or/emergency room. I am just not sure how much this should factor in my decision if I am given an acceptance to RVU? Advice?

I wouldn't let a schools simulation center determine your final decision (unless all other factors are equal). I interviewed at a school that has a top notch simulation center and was surprised when I talked to some second years who said it (the simulation center) was more of a hassle than something to be desired. They noted that most the times they get exhausted residents teaching their simulation sessions. They also didn't like the fact that it added 4-8 hours of extra required class time a week as well as the associated studying, as it took away from other valuable study time.

That being said, a surgical simulation center, for example may still be valuable to someone wanting to get into surgery; however, at the end of the day I don't think it will make or break your chances of getting into your field of choice.

Although RVU does not have a full on simulation center I believe they have a birthing simulator as well as some surgical simulations (cut suit). They also have plenty of exam rooms for standardized patients.

Hope this helps.

From what I understand, the cut suit is only for military track students at this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't let a schools simulation center determine your final decision (unless all other factors are equal). I interviewed at a school that has a top notch simulation center and was surprised when I talked to some second years who said it (the simulation center) was more of a hassle than something to be desired. They noted that most the times they get exhausted residents teaching their simulation sessions. They also didn't like the fact that it added 4-8 hours of extra required class time a week as well as the associated studying, as it took away from other valuable study time.

That being said, a surgical simulation center, for example may still be valuable to someone wanting to get into surgery; however, at the end of the day I don't think it will make or break your chances of getting into your field of choice.

Although RVU does not have a full on simulation center I believe they have a birthing simulator as well as some surgical simulations (cut suit). They also have plenty of exam rooms for standardized patients.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, it does help. I am more worried about being ill prepared for rotations than it effecting my chances of getting the proper residency. Is this a valid concern?

Thank you, it does help. I am more worried about being ill prepared for rotations than it effecting my chances of getting the proper residency. Is this a valid concern?

Valid concern. I really liked the idea of a surgical simulation center to learn basic techniques and handling of equipment. It can definitely help prepare you for rotations but I don't see it having a huge impact on residency. I would imagine by the time you get to audition rotations in your 4th year, you'll be well prepared.

Not really. No degree of realism in any surg center or cut suit will will give you even a twentieth of the experience you'll get from a real experience in an actual hospital. Surgical simulations are nice, expensive toys but add no substance to the actual education. I include our own cut suit in that assessment.

Reactions: 1 user

I too liked and was accepted at the same school you most likely were. In my interview I was able to watch a code simulation in their ER and I felt as a paramedic for 21 years it didn't really seem as realistic or as important to the standardized patient interactions that you get in both places and maybe a little more at RVU.
In the end it came down to where I felt the most at home. I also liked that we will not have all the other programs like the PAs and others in the lecture halls with us the first year.
My advice is look at location, as it pertains to your support. The location as it pertains to the little off time you will get (Denver has more sunny days then SoCal) and options. And finally weigh the cost, which if I am guessing right they are really close when everything is factored in.
I get it though I really like the dean there too. In the end you will get the training you need at both places, because both do well in average board scores and residency placements.

Interviewing on Tuesday, super excited

I too liked and was accepted at the same school you most likely were. In my interview I was able to watch a code simulation in their ER and I felt as a paramedic for 21 years it didn't really seem as realistic or as important to the standardized patient interactions that you get in both places and maybe a little more at RVU.
In the end it came down to where I felt the most at home. I also liked that we will not have all the other programs like the PAs and others in the lecture halls with us the first year.
My advice is look at location, as it pertains to your support. The location as it pertains to the little off time you will get (Denver has more sunny days then SoCal) and options. And finally weigh the cost, which if I am guessing right they are really close when everything is factored in.
I get it though I really like the dean there too. In the end you will get the training you need at both places, because both do well in average board scores and residency placements.

I have always leaned towards RVU. I decided if I get an acceptance to attend here. :)

Reactions: 1 users
How was the shuttle service from the radisson to campus? I just booked my night there and it sucks that I had to pay for a two queen room. Hoping the shuttle service makes it worth it.

Not a valid concern. Most students aren't expected to know how to perform surgery before they're a resident. Most residents don't know how to perform surgery. The simulation isn't going to make or break your rotation, your attitude and hard work are what make or break a rotation. A great attitude and hard work will go further than having used a cut suit or simulator. Promise.

How was the shuttle service from the radisson to campus? I just booked my night there and it sucks that I had to pay for a two queen room. Hoping the shuttle service makes it worth it.

The agreed upon rate for guests of RVU is $85. You shouldn't have to pay more for a 2 queen room; you just have to ask for the RVU rate.

I want to go here. Hurry up and send me an invite, RVU adcom!

Does RVU accept pre-interview updates?

I have some questions about the RVU interview selection process for princessbuttercup or any RVU student/adcom:
- RVU likes upper-level bio classes, yes? Having many of those and doing well in them will help me even if my GPA is below their average?
- Does RVU weigh GPA heavier than MCAT? I know AZCOM loves me because of my MCAT, will RVU love me just as much or a little less if my MCAT is stronger than my GPA?
-Does being a non-trad help me at RVU? Non-trad, as in I had a viable career, not that I was a street hobo.
-Does being a late applicant (complete end of December) mean that I'm competing for wait list spots at this point?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

EDIT: Sorry not sure, there were several school that did and I thought RVU was one. I will try calling again to see (wasn't able to reach them). My apologies.

EDIT: Sorry not sure, there were several school that did and I thought RVU was one. I will try calling again to see (wasn't able to reach them). My apologies.

Appreciate the effort!

I have some questions about the RVU interview selection process for princessbuttercup or any RVU student/adcom:
- RVU likes upper-level bio classes, yes? Having many of those and doing well in them will help me even if my GPA is below their average?
- Does RVU weigh GPA heavier than MCAT? I know AZCOM loves me because of my MCAT, will RVU love me just as much or a little less if my MCAT is stronger than my GPA?
-Does being a non-trad help me at RVU? Non-trad, as in I had a viable career, not that I was a street hobo.
-Does being a late applicant (complete end of December) mean that I'm competing for wait list spots at this point?

RVU does accept pre-interview updates. There are still seats available, however it is even more competitive at this late stage. Candidates invited for an interview at this time typically have science and cumulative GPAs 3.6 or higher with higher division courses, MCAT of 28 or better, excellent LORs, strong clinical exposure as well as evidence of a high level of leadership and service. Each completed file is read cover to cover in an attempt to identify those candidates who are the best fit for the RVUCOM program.

Does anyone know if biochem through UC Berkely Extension is accepted for the pre-req?

RVU does accept pre-interview updates. There are still seats available, however it is even more competitive at this late stage. Candidates invited for an interview at this time typically have science and cumulative GPAs 3.6 or higher with higher division courses, MCAT of 28 or better, excellent LORs, strong clinical exposure as well as evidence of a high level of leadership and service. Each completed file is read cover to cover in an attempt to identify those candidates who are the best fit for the RVUCOM program.

Thanks for the detailed responses, alijen!

Apart from GPA, which is a few points below 3.6, I exceed all the other categories (at least in my and people who've seen my application's opinion), so I'll hope for the best. I should hopefully have another LOR soon from my PI who told me she'd be happy to write me a great letter!

Thanks for the detailed responses, alijen!

Apart from GPA, which is a few points below 3.6, I exceed all the other categories (at least in my and people who've seen my application's opinion), so I'll hope for the best. I should hopefully have another LOR soon from my PI who told me she'd be happy to write me a great letter!
Great! Best of luck to you in the process!

Had my interview January 8th. RVU's interview day was very informative and well structured, unlike some other schools. I really liked how staff members would come and sit with us just to chit chat. The actual interview was relaxed (just like everyone says) and really just a discussion. At one point my interviewers even started talking to themselves.

Should be hearing back next week! Im very excited as well as nervous. Best wishes to all those who interviewed the 8th. It was nice to meet all of you :)

Last edited:
Has anyone (particularly non-trads) have difficulty with the COA for RVU? I was just comparing between schools, and RVU does not allow for much room for additional expenses (dogs, car payment, auto insurance, etc?) I believe the max COA for this year was ~77k? Is it true that this is the maximum you can request? I was hoping to be able to pay back moving expenses I will have to put on credit cards. Please tell me I am reading this wrong and the max is like 80-85k.
Instead of asking the folks on SDN, call Fran in RVU's Student Financial Services Dept. She will be able to answer any questions you may have.

Does anyone know how full the class is? Or how many more interviews they plan to give out?

Hey guys, I'm a little late to the party but I am debating whether or not to submit my secondary here. My stats aren't the best and it seems like this school is very selective for ii's. 3.2sGPA, 3.45cGPA, very good non-science GPA, 26 MCAT. Applying straight out of undergrad with good EC's.

You should do it man! I actually submitted my secondary right around the same time your talking about, ended up getting an ii in early Feb, and fell in love with the school and now I'm here at RVU. You never know, in a sense it kinda can work to your advantage if you've got a good file cause they'll see a new face on the list of applications and can respond back pretty quickly

Accepted!!! Wow! Interviewed yesterday and received the phone call today. This school really impressed me

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted as well! Very happy to have the opportunity. Going to look into ways to afford to move out there.

Also accepted, very excited. Now have to decide between here and KCUMB

Also accepted, very excited. Now have to decide between here and KCUMB
Considering I have worked with the faculty at both places, because some of our faculty followed Dr. Dubin, I'd pick RVU. The new dean and the new directors of 1st and 2nd year are absolutely phenomenal. They truly help and care about the students, and do not just pay lip-service to their titles.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Interviewed January 8th and got the call the 16th!!! Very excited about attending here and even more excited about befriending all of you :)

Hi all! I interviewed on 1/14 and got the acceptance call on 1/16 in the evening. They told us we wouldn't hear until this week but they decided to give out calls that evening.

As far as staying at the Radisson in Parker... I would highly recommend it! The shuttle was great and they have it really organized. The food there was not so great but the shuttle will take you to restaurants to pick up food so that's not a huge worry. I ordered pizza one night :D

I thought RVU was great for a few reasons:
-Fellowship options
-Global track
-Colorado, duh
-REQUIRE USMLE and COMLEX
-Great COMLEX scores

Anyone know how many people get in off of the Alternate List? And/or how many people are on it?

Can any current non-sciences majors tell me about how their first semester went? Tips? Private message me if you like.

You should do it man! I actually submitted my secondary right around the same time your talking about, ended up getting an ii in early Feb, and fell in love with the school and now I'm here at RVU. You never know, in a sense it kinda can work to your advantage if you've got a good file cause they'll see a new face on the list of applications and can respond back pretty quickly

Thanks for the support. I submitted it the next day and am hoping for a response soon!

Yes; it's RVUCOM Class of 2019.

Interview jan 15th, got the call jan 16th. Almost cried while answering. I cant wait to meet you all!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
did anyone get an itinerary for their interview? I never received anything and don't know where to go once I get to the school for the interview. Any help would be much appreciated!

did anyone get an itinerary for their interview? I never received anything and don't know where to go once I get to the school for the interview. Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm afraid it's been long enough that I forgot if you're meant to have itinerary at this point. But if you just walk through the front door there will be a security guy, and he will tell you where to go. Do you know when you're supposed to be there?

There is no specific itinerary. I recommend showing up to the school 10-15 minutes before your listed start time. As the above poster said, enter through the front door and security will point you in the right direction. Best of luck!

On the "travel information" handout it says "When you arrive, please report to the main reception desk. You will be directed to the Admissions Office where the staff will be waiting to welcome you. Although guests are welcome to visit with you, they may want to explore the area or make other arrangements while you are interviewing. Also, we regret that we will not be able to accommodate guests for lunch."

Hey guys, do you happen to know when they look at the alternate list?
-cedarjet

anyone know how full the class is? im interviewing feb 12 and im worried its just for an alternate spot :p then again i heard they accept 80% of those they interview so i guess im just stressing for nothing...

anyone know how full the class is? im interviewing feb 12 and im worried its just for an alternate spot :p then again i heard they accept 80% of those they interview so i guess im just stressing for nothing...
I know for a fact there are still open spots. Good luck!

For the hopefuls, they are still handing out II's, received one today.

Just got the acceptance call! Never thought I could cry from happiness.

Reactions: 5 users