Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The call came at 3:34 PM...ACCEPTED! So excited about RVUCOM and to meet all of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as well today. Absolutely ecstatic! :soexcited:

Interviewed 1/7, accepted 1/16. So stoked! Also looking for roommate(s) but I'm not on facebook. Hit me up if you're interested!

Reactions: 1 user
I received an interview invite Friday night (30 Jan) at 9:45 pm. I was surprised since it was so late in the day and I've been complete since 5 Nov. The email did say they typically accept 75% of the folks they interview. They had openings for Feb 18, 19, 20 and Mar 11, 12, 13.

Interviewed 1/7, accepted 1/16. So stoked! Also looking for roommate(s) but I'm not on facebook. Hit me up if you're interested!
You should really get on facebook, if only for the class page. There is so much helpful stuff on our class' (2018) page.

Recieved II via email on 1/30!! Confirmed 2/11 AM Interview. Super excited!! I will be staying at the Radisson as well. Any suggestions for places (stores, restaurants, etc.) within walking distance? I have some time to kill before the 3PM check-in...

Recieved II via email on 1/30!! Confirmed 2/11 AM Interview. Super excited!! I will be staying at the Radisson as well. Any suggestions for places (stores, restaurants, etc.) within walking distance? I have some time to kill before the 3PM check-in...
When were you complete?

Worst interview experience ever here. I had the misfortune of having my interviewer changed to Mr. Schwartz because the original interviewer got sick. The man has no business interviewing students and really turned me off to the school. If I'd already had my current acceptance when I walked in for that interview, I would have got up and walked out. Another guy, Dr. Martin gave a short talk in the beginning and he just wanted to stress how rigorous it is there, and not much else.

If it weren't for the students there, the day would have been a miserable experience overall.

Worst interview experience ever here. I had the misfortune of having my interviewer changed to Mr. Schwartz because the original interviewer got sick. The man has no business interviewing students and really turned me off to the school. If I'd already had my current acceptance when I walked in for that interview, I would have got up and walked out. Another guy, Dr. Martin gave a short talk in the beginning and he just wanted to stress how rigorous it is there, and not much else.

If it weren't for the students there, the day would have been a miserable experience overall.

WOW! I'm sorry to hear this. Complete opposite of my experience - I felt like this was the only school that was truly interested in meeting me...and dare I say it, excited to meet me! I had two very wonderful female interviewers though.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm really sorry you had that experience. I promise you the view of the faculty you got was not what we actually experience here. Our faculty are amazingly approachable and caring, and I hope that you can look past the bad experience you had and see just how wonderful the vast majority of them are. Feel free to PM me if you have any concerns that I can address for you.

I am sorry to hear that! It must have been that particular interviewer. I had a male and female who asked me really interesting, conversational questions. I hope you find the right school for you!

I'm really sorry you had that experience. I promise you the view of the faculty you got was not what we actually experience here. Our faculty are amazingly approachable and caring, and I hope that you can look past the bad experience you had and see just how wonderful the vast majority of them are. Feel free to PM me if you have any concerns that I can address for you.
I appreciate that but things are kinda beyond that point now. I got an acceptance at a school that I feel will be a better fit for me. I regret only that I forgot to e-mail them a withdrawal from consideration before they rejected me.

I had never encountered somebody who was already looking off into outer space before I got started answering the first question just asked of me. The guy either didn't want to be there or had already made up his mind before I walked in the door.

I appreciate that but things are kinda beyond that point now. I got an acceptance at a school that I feel will be a better fit for me. I regret only that I forgot to e-mail them a withdrawal from consideration before they rejected me.

I had never encountered somebody who was already looking off into outer space before I got started answering the first question just asked of me. The guy either didn't want to be there or had already made up his mind before I walked in the door.
Glad to hear you've been accepted elsewhere that will be a better fit. I've also had an interview experience where the interviewer seemed to want to be anywhere but interviewing me. It sucks. Good luck!

Do they still have seats open here? Waiting to hear back still.

Has anybody done their drug screen/background check yet? Is it just a regular ol' urine test?

Has anybody done their drug screen/background check yet? Is it just a regular ol' urine test?
Did mine the 26th. Yep, very straightforward. Regular urine test.

I'm about to decline an II after being accepted to KCOM. Hope it goes out to one of you that are still waiting!!

any Pakistani or Muslim students going here next year, class of 2019? looking for a roommate, PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
so this is very early but does anyone know when we find out what textbooks we need for the fall?

so this is very early but does anyone know when we find out what textbooks we need for the fall?

None of them. Seriously. The only books you really need are Robbins and clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple. Only buy the other ones if you really need additional resources during a course (you won't).

None of them. Seriously. The only books you really need are Robbins and clinical microbiology made ridiculously simple. Only buy the other ones if you really need additional resources during a course (you won't).
The only other one I would add would be the OPP manual, but yeah, otherwise I totally agree.

Hey guys I'm torn between RVUCOM and TouroCOM-NY (Middletown). They are both excellent programs but I am leaning toward RVUCOM. I have a few questions for any current medical students willing to share their two cents!

1) Does RVUCOM feel like a commuter campus? Since there is no on-campus housing, I just wanted to get a feel for how many people tend to stick around and study in groups in breakout rooms or the library after class? I'm trying to

2) I don't remember whether or not there was a cafeteria on-campus? May seem silly but I'm pretty limited in my culinary capacity and this would limit my daily burden of having to cook and clean while trying to study. If not, are there good cafe's/restaurants nearby?

3) Comparatively I felt that RVUCOM was lacking a bit in simulation technology. The cut suit seemed to be more geared towards military and 3rd year students and I only recall seeing an OB/GYN mannequin on my interview day. How do current students feel this has impacted their education if at all?

4) Can any 3rd or 4th year students talk about the logistics of clerkship rotations? Is housing provided at away sites and are they driving crazy distances to fulfill their rotation requirements?

Thanks guys, any input is very helpful and greatly appreciated. Honestly my day at RVUCOM was the most welcoming experience I have ever had on any interview day and I am very drawn to this program.

Hey guys I'm torn between RVUCOM and TouroCOM-NY (Middletown). They are both excellent programs but I am leaning toward RVUCOM. I have a few questions for any current medical students willing to share their two cents!

1) Does RVUCOM feel like a commuter campus? Since there is no on-campus housing, I just wanted to get a feel for how many people tend to stick around and study in groups in breakout rooms or the library after class? I'm trying to

2) I don't remember whether or not there was a cafeteria on-campus? May seem silly but I'm pretty limited in my culinary capacity and this would limit my daily burden of having to cook and clean while trying to study. If not, are there good cafe's/restaurants nearby?

3) Comparatively I felt that RVUCOM was lacking a bit in simulation technology. The cut suit seemed to be more geared towards military and 3rd year students and I only recall seeing an OB/GYN mannequin on my interview day. How do current students feel this has impacted their education if at all?

4) Can any 3rd or 4th year students talk about the logistics of clerkship rotations? Is housing provided at away sites and are they driving crazy distances to fulfill their rotation requirements?

Thanks guys, any input is very helpful and greatly appreciated. Honestly my day at RVUCOM was the most welcoming experience I have ever had on any interview day and I am very drawn to this program.

1) People do stick around and study on campus, basically unless everyone just had a test or if it's very late at night. Especially in first year. The trick is trying to get rid of them! It's very easy to get a study group together.

2) No cafeteria. There is a sort of snack bar but it really is better for snacks. I wouldn't count on it as a long term meal source. There are restaurants around, but whether they're good depends very much on your taste... During first year on weekends before tests I frequently got the ready made food from costco or king soopers so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking and cleaning was minimal. Pretty inexpensive and pretty good as far as food quality. I'm a terrible cook too, but I've found I enjoy it anyway. It's nice to have 30-60 or so minutes where i can focus on something simple and not school related. There is a local coffee shop that it's easy to find students at during the day. I have absolutely no doubt that the food in new york is better, but the stuff around here is adequate, I think.

3) I know schools love to talk up simulators, but I'm yet to meet anyone with clinical experience (and isn't a school administrator) who says it's really worth anything. I personally don't feel like any amount of simulators or cut suits would alter my education in anyway. I am a second year, so of course I can't tell you from personal experience that it's not very valuable. Just what I've heard.

any Pakistani or Muslim students going here next year, class of 2019? looking for a roommate, PM me!
I'll let u know if I get accepted after my interview on Thursday haha

1) People do stick around and study on campus, basically unless everyone just had a test or if it's very late at night. Especially in first year. The trick is trying to get rid of them! It's very easy to get a study group together.

2) No cafeteria. There is a sort of snack bar but it really is better for snacks. I wouldn't count on it as a long term meal source. There are restaurants around, but whether they're good depends very much on your taste... During first year on weekends before tests I frequently got the ready made food from costco or king soopers so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking and cleaning was minimal. Pretty inexpensive and pretty good as far as food quality. I'm a terrible cook too, but I've found I enjoy it anyway. It's nice to have 30-60 or so minutes where i can focus on something simple and not school related. There is a local coffee shop that it's easy to find students at during the day. I have absolutely no doubt that the food in new york is better, but the stuff around here is adequate, I think.

3) I know schools love to talk up simulators, but I'm yet to meet anyone with clinical experience (and isn't a school administrator) who says it's really worth anything. I personally don't feel like any amount of simulators or cut suits would alter my education in anyway. I am a second year, so of course I can't tell you from personal experience that it's not very valuable. Just what I've heard.

Thanks for asking. I had similar concerns.

You're better off asking in the FB group. This will be a huge resource in your search for a roommate.

OPP, Robbins, CMMRS, AND you will need 2 anatomy texts, usually people get netters and rohen, and the neuroanatomy atlas. The rest are not usually useful, and are just expensive. DO NOT buy them. See if you can get used ones from upperclassmen or used ones on amazon. Additionally, if you're crafty you can find a lot of them as PDFs or CHMs...

1: people study on campus a lot, sometimes it's hard to find space
2: there is not a cafeteria, Acapnial's suggestion is a decent one. or get a lot of frozen pizzas or similar...
3: sim stuff is usually not that helpful. I've never had a complaint from a doc about my abilities
4: Rotations: there are several sites, you will be at those sites your entire third year, so you will have to get your own housing. If you are doing an away rotation for some reason, you will have to look into housing, some places DO have housing and some do NOT have housing. The only people who probably drive 'crazy distances' are those who choose to, or are in Denver. I think the furthest rotation from me would be 35mi in the Denver area. The rest of the areas would be fine.

So I am still sitting on my hands waiting for an II (or rejection) after being complete in late September. Should I call admissions sometime soon?

For those of you who have already interviewed, can you tell me what the interview day schedule is like? I have not received and have not been able to locate any sort of itinerary. I am cutting it really close with my departing flight for tomorrow and am trying to schedule transportation to get me to the airport on time. Do they keep us until 1:30pm? Is breakfast/lunch provided or should I try to eat before hand? Thanks!

For those of you who have already interviewed, can you tell me what the interview day schedule is like? I have not received and have not been able to locate any sort of itinerary. I am cutting it really close with my departing flight for tomorrow and am trying to schedule transportation to get me to the airport on time. Do they keep us until 1:30pm? Is breakfast/lunch provided or should I try to eat before hand? Thanks!
Do you have a morning or afternoon interview? If you're in the morning, they will not provide breakfast, but lunch is definitely included. (That's when you'll get to talk to students without any scrutiny.) The day will consist of your 2 on 1 interview, talks from faculty, the dean and other important staff, a tour with a couple of student ambassadors, and lunch. If I remember correctly, the morning interviews finish after lunch with a short talk and then are done, but if they tell you you'll get out at 1:30, they will respect your time. Good luck!

Do you have a morning or afternoon interview? If you're in the morning, they will not provide breakfast, but lunch is definitely included. (That's when you'll get to talk to students without any scrutiny.) The day will consist of your 2 on 1 interview, talks from faculty, the dean and other important staff, a tour with a couple of student ambassadors, and lunch. If I remember correctly, the morning interviews finish after lunch with a short talk and then are done, but if they tell you you'll get out at 1:30, they will respect your time. Good luck!

Thank you for the response! It is the morning session. Complimentary breakfast is offered at the hotel so I didn't know if I should take advantage of it or just wait until I got to RVU. Looks like I'll be grabbing something on the way out the door.

Are the interviews early in the day or saved for the end? I had a bad experience with the free shuttle today, so I arranged for a taxi service to pick me up from RVU at 1:30p and rush me to the airport. Fingers crossed that I make it to my flight on time.

I'm super excited about the interview and learning more about Rocky Vista and how I might fit there! From everything I've seen so far, I am anticipating being very impressed.

Thank you for the response! It is the morning session. Complimentary breakfast is offered at the hotel so I didn't know if I should take advantage of it or just wait until I got to RVU. Looks like I'll be grabbing something on the way out the door.

Are the interviews early in the day or saved for the end? I had a bad experience with the free shuttle today, so I arranged for a taxi service to pick me up from RVU at 1:30p and rush me to the airport. Fingers crossed that I make it to my flight on time.

I'm super excited about the interview and learning more about Rocky Vista and how I might fit there! From everything I've seen so far, I am anticipating being very impressed.
I love it here! Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you! I think the interviews are mid morning. :)

The interviews went from 9:00am - 12:00pm. I bet you could leave a little early too if you let them know your situation. After the interview you'll have a tour/lunch (12:00-1:00pm) and then a brief wrap up (1:00-1:30pm). I made it from the school to the airport in about 30 minutes taking E-470 (the toll road).

So I am still sitting on my hands waiting for an II (or rejection) after being complete in late September. Should I call admissions sometime soon?

Were you on the interview waitlist? Everyone from 2014 has been reviewed, so you should have heard something. Send admissions an email at [email protected]. They will respond promptly.

Were you on the interview waitlist? Everyone from 2014 has been reviewed, so you should have heard something. Send admissions an email at [email protected]. They will respond promptly.
What if you put in your secondary in the last two months? Or do you mean everyone from the 2014 application has already been reviewed?

I have an interview scheduled for next week...Still have to book a flight out d:
Anyone know if they are still filling seats, or if it would likely be for a spot on the alt. list?

I was blown away at the interview. I have never seen so many happy and energetic students! Every faculty member was super friendly and welcoming as well. I was nervous about the 2-on-1 format, but it was very relaxed and conversational. It is definitely going to be a long 1-2 weeks waiting to hear their decision.

I have a few questions for some of the current RVU students:
1. We've heard about what you love about the school, program, and area. What are some of the things you do NOT like?
2. What does your typical daily schedule during the first year look like? Second year?
3. How do you feel the school and curriculum have allowed you to explore your specific interests in medicine?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have an interview scheduled for next week...Still have to book a flight out d:
Anyone know if they are still filling seats, or if it would likely be for a spot on the alt. list?

The admissions office said they are still filling seats (as of Tuesday, 10 Feb). They said that if it gets to the point where they are interviewing people for wait list spots only, they will definitely let applicants know. Good luck!

Last edited:
So is there a facebook group yet for class of 2019? I couldn't find it, so if there is one, could someone post a link? Thanks peeps

On average, how long does your file sit at "Complete" before they say interview or "Thank you for playing, but no"?

Looking for some advice from current RVU students. I am about a 20 hour drive from RVU, so looking at apartments is going to be a real pain for me. The websites for apartments in the Parker area are all pretty pricey, and I was wondering if there are more affordable apartments that are still close to the school and not too shady. I essentially just want a place to sleep, so I do not need a fireplace, balcony, kitchen island, etc that all these sites are offering. If there are any students who came from afar and found that a particular strategy for apartment hunting worked for them, I would appreciate any input. Would finding a roommate through facebook that already lives in CO be a good idea, so I can have another person who could do the majority of scoping out apartments?

Not sure if anyone has ever seen this information before, but I found it wandering around on google. It has details about the past RVU board scores and averages compared to the current. Includes info for USMLE and COMLEX.

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...urriculum-reorganization_s-kruse.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Great, I have been looking for this for quite some time. Interesting though why COMLEX averages are higher than national, and USMLE averages are lower than national. Perhaps students are just burned out from taking both exams?

Not sure if anyone has ever seen this information before, but I found it wandering around on google. It has details about the past RVU board scores and averages compared to the current. Includes info for USMLE and COMLEX.

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...urriculum-reorganization_s-kruse.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Oh man, I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am they made the listed curriculum changes. 8 hours of orthopedic surgery in MSK?! Jeesh. I should buy someone from class of 2012 a beer.

Excellent link, anyway.

Great, I have been looking for this for quite some time. Interesting though why COMLEX averages are higher than national, and USMLE averages are lower than national. Perhaps students are just burned out from taking both exams?

Nah, it's probably not burnout. Most students take the USMLE first anyway. Here's my thinking.

1) The COMLEX mean is representative of only osteopathic students, while the USMLE is representative of all MD students and however many osteopathic students take it. Probably at least a 5:1 ratio anyway, so in COMLEX your only competition is other osteopathic students while in the USMLE your competition is mostly MD students. The typical MD student is probably better at handling giant standardized tests like the USMLE than the typical DO student.

2) Some of your education is geared towards the board exam, and some of your education is geared toward real-life clinical stuff. For DO schools, in the past, the boards part of the education has been taught towards COMLEX, while the USMLE has been kind of ignored. RVU is now trying to put some degree of USMLE emphasis into the boards portion of our education. I think some other schools like TCOM and KCUMB are as well. In fact, I suspect the reason they're requiring everyone to take the USMLE is to get good quality data to see if the new emphasis is working.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to dismiss any of that that you think is stupid.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh man, I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am they made the listed curriculum changes. 8 hours of orthopedic surgery in MSK?! Jeesh. I should buy someone from class of 2012 a beer.

Excellent link, anyway.

Nah, it's probably not burnout. Most students take the USMLE first anyway. Here's my thinking.

1) The COMLEX mean is representative of only osteopathic students, while the USMLE is representative of all MD students and however many osteopathic students take it. Probably at least a 5:1 ratio anyway, so in COMLEX your only competition is other osteopathic students while in the USMLE your competition is mostly MD students. The typical MD student is probably better at handling giant standardized tests like the USMLE than the typical DO student.

2) Some of your education is geared towards the board exam, and some of your education is geared toward real-life clinical stuff. For DO schools, in the past, the boards part of the education has been taught towards COMLEX, while the USMLE has been kind of ignored. RVU is now trying to put some degree of USMLE emphasis into the boards portion of our education. I think some other schools like TCOM and KCUMB are as well. In fact, I suspect the reason they're requiring everyone to take the USMLE is to get good quality data to see if the new emphasis is working.

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to dismiss any of that that you think is stupid.

Interesting thoughts, your second point makes a lot of sense. Im sure averages will come up with when more curriculum is geared towards USMLE. Do you know how RVU compares to other DO schools on USMLE?