Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting thoughts, your second point makes a lot of sense. Im sure averages will come up with when more curriculum is geared towards USMLE. Do you know how RVU compares to other DO schools on USMLE?

I don't

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys!

I have been placed on the alternate list since October and still did not hear anything back. Did anyone on the alternate list hear anything?

Thanks
Cedarjet

Hey cedarjet,
I too have been placed on the waitlist and was informed that we will not hear anything back until mid may, which seems rather excessive if you ask me.

I am in the process of emailing admissions to inform them of my acceptance elsewhere, and that I would without a doubt choose Rocky Vista above others. Hopefully this proves beneficial.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the acceptance call from Katy today at 4:21 EST. She said emails would be going out tomorrow morning. OOS, LizzyM of 64, interviewed 2/20.

First acceptance. Needless to say I am ecstatic

Reactions: 4 users
Acceptance call yesterday interviewed 2/11. OOS non-trad student 1st acceptance 29MCAT 3.3GPA undergrad 3.8 gradschool. I plan to do ARMY medicine and RVU is perfect place for it!

Reactions: 1 users
Still anxiously waiting on the results of my interview (2/11). Seriously hoping all the acceptances didn't go out yesterday and that I'm just waiting on a rejection now... I absolutely loved this school and really felt like I found my perfect fit on interview day.

Congratulations, Walbridge20 and Dynastar24! If the interview group on 2/11 was any indication of what the class will be like, you both will be joined by some pretty amazing future physicians.

I'm with you..still waiting. Kinda resigned myself to a rejection at this point, because IK my interview didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked (if anyone has any suggestions on interview prep/how not to get caught up in nerves hmu...).
Hopefully, we'll hear something soon- for the sake of our sanity alone d:
Best of luck. And congrats to all accepted.

Great, I have been looking for this for quite some time. Interesting though why COMLEX averages are higher than national, and USMLE averages are lower than national. Perhaps students are just burned out from taking both exams?

I found the following explanation on how the tests differ. Maybe this will provide some insight as to why this is the case for the averages.

Honestly, they're just different. I never really heard much about USMLE from upperclassmen, but rumors about the COMLEX always centered around how vague and poorly-written the questions were. After taking them both, the COMLEX is less of a poorly-written test and instead is vague and tests concepts generally regarded as low-yield; I actually felt the questions were better written than I was anticipating. The USMLE is detail-oriented and tests mechanisms. I do personally feel that the USMLE is better written and is an overall better gauge of a second year medical student's knowledge.

USMLE:
It is more detailed than the COMLEX. The questions will give you all of the information necessary to make the correct diagnosis or may actually give you the diagnosis. For example, the USMLE may give you a few pertinent lab findings, an important historical fact, and two classic physical exam findings for a certain disease. Some of the questions will ask for a straight-up diagnosis, as there are plenty of first-order questions. The more difficult questions will then ask about the disease in a way you have never thought of or will attempt to make you think about the disease in a different context. In order to do well on USMLE you need to understand mechanisms and retain knowledge of details. It also stresses more biochemistry and molecular biology/genetics than COMLEX. The answer choices are also much different than the COMLEX. With USMLE, the answer choices are often very similar or worded in a strange manner such that it makes picking between two choices more difficult because they may essentially seem the exact same. Unless you really understand mechanisms or details it may be tough to get those "hinge" questions correct.

Bottom line for the USMLE: work on understanding mechanisms and, while studying, attempt to think about how (and why) certain disease process will affect other (seemingly unrelated) organ systems. Also don't forget about those esoteric details that may possibly show up (although rather rare).

COMLEX:
It is less detailed than USMLE and asks that you see the "big picture" (although seeing the big picture should be your goal for both exams). In my example above where the USMLE question gave you the lab findings, the historical fact and the two PE findings, the COMLEX may give you one historical fact and a single PE finding. As a result, you have to know the disease process very, very well in order to narrow down the answer choices. The answer choices also differ wildly from each other. In fact, many of the answer choices will be completely unrelated (again, this is in stark contrast to the USMLE answer choices). This is one of the reasons why many students say the COMLEX is so vague: they give you little data and answer choices are completely unrelated. It is possible, however, to get those questions correct if you really know the material well (seeing the "big picture") because you can so easily rule out the wrong answer choices. The questions asking about mechanisms or diseases in different contexts were pretty rare. There are still a good amount of first-order questions.

Bottom line for the COMLEX: work on understanding each disease in a larger scope and be comfortable differentiating between two diseases that present similarly (when only given a small amount of information). Also, be very comfortable with microbiology and organism classification. You can even go out on a limb and study the rare bugs if you have time.

How to study for both:
I personally feel that all you need to study (and do well) is First Aid, UWorld, and a pathology review source (Goljan RR [the source I used and my personal recommendation] or Pathoma). I felt very well-prepared for both exams while studying with these resources. I found USMLE to be more difficult (it has a few more 2nd- and 3rd-order questions) than COMLEX. I actually felt over-prepared for COMLEX using only the above three resources. The best thing you can do for yourself is study hard for your two preclinical years, as a strong foundation is the best resource of all. You will, of course, need to supplement your COMLEX studies with Savarese and a source for Chapman's points, but other than that, they both test the same material, just in a slightly different way.

I hope this gives you and future test takers a little insight in to the two exams. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the acceptance call from Katy today at 4:21 EST. She said emails would be going out tomorrow morning. OOS, LizzyM of 64, interviewed 2/20.

First acceptance. Needless to say I am ecstatic

Hey Walbridge20, what do you mean by emails? In looking back through the thread, I saw the mention of interviewees receiving either an acceptance call or a rejection email. Is this the case? Or do all interviewees get contacted by phone?

Hey Walbridge20, what do you mean by emails? In looking back through the thread, I saw the mention of interviewees receiving either an acceptance call or a rejection email. Is this the case? Or do all interviewees get contacted by phone?
Well if you got accepted they do call you and you will get an email with some forms to fill out.

Well if you got accepted they do call you and you will get an email with some forms to fill out.

But do they call you if you get rejected? I wasn't suse if walbridge20 was referring to an email with official acceptance info or if he was referring to the rejection emails (if it is an either/or situation).

But do they call you if you get rejected? I wasn't suse if walbridge20 was referring to an email with official acceptance info or if he was referring to the rejection emails (if it is an either/or situation).
I am not 100% sure about rejections but, I believe they mail you a letter notifying you about rejection. Not sure about the email or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
@dgbmonkey From what I understand, if you get rejected, it will show on your portal from what previous people in this thread have said.

I still haven't heard anything either. I did not interview well and am expecting a rejection. I have three more late cycle interviews but I'm feeling hopeless at this point. My mcat is not great and I don't interview well. Hope we are at least notified today. Have they told anyone who interviewed if they waitlisted yet?

Ahh, finally, the portal changed.
I'm on the alternate list...At this point it was a bit of a relief because I was sure after all this time it was a reject.
Well, here's to hoping!

I still haven't heard anything either. I did not interview well and am expecting a rejection. I have three more late cycle interviews but I'm feeling hopeless at this point. My mcat is not great and I don't interview well. Hope we are at least notified today. Have they told anyone who interviewed if they waitlisted yet?

I haven't been contacted yet, but I logged on to the portal this morning. The status was changed from applicant to alternate list... Pretty disappointed right now as past threads have shown little movement in RVU's list.

Now I have to start coming up with the next plan of attack. (1) Start doing as much as possible and preparing my app to apply as early as possible June 2015. (2) take a year off to fix any concerns/weaknesses in my app and then reapply June 2016.

Regardless, I am confident this is going to happen. Just maybe not this year...

Also Waitlisted. That is disappointing but better than a rejection right guys?

I haven't been contacted yet, but I logged on to the portal this morning. The status was changed from applicant to alternate list... Pretty disappointed right now as past threads have shown little movement in RVU's list.

Now I have to start coming up with the next plan of attack. (1) Start doing as much as possible and preparing my app to apply as early as possible June 2015. (2) take a year off to fix any concerns/weaknesses in my app and then reapply June 2016.

I know what you're saying about potentially having to take a year off from the application cycle to make a tangible difference in your application, however, I actually thought through this for quite some time (because I thought I might be in the same boat too). I think it's a good idea to still apply in June 2015, even though it's only a couple months away. If you have an idea about concerns/weaknesses in your application, obviously you want to address those, but I think there are a few things you could do that won't necessarily take years to accomplish. In my case, I've been out of school for quite some time, so enrolling in an online science course (even if it was one I already took in the past) was a good option and can be completed in a few weeks/months. Going on some type of medical mission trip in the US or overseas is definitely good, although can be expensive. I spent 10 days in Peru doing this and it gave me so much more perspective and impactful things to write about. Of course, shadowing a variety of healthcare providers always helps to bolster an application and becoming a Red Cross Volunteer is a great way to accomplish this.

I hope that helps to give you some ideas! Good luck!

I know what you're saying about potentially having to take a year off from the application cycle to make a tangible difference in your application, however, I actually thought through this for quite some time (because I thought I might be in the same boat too). I think it's a good idea to still apply in June 2015, even though it's only a couple months away. If you have an idea about concerns/weaknesses in your application, obviously you want to address those, but I think there are a few things you could do that won't necessarily take years to accomplish. In my case, I've been out of school for quite some time, so enrolling in an online science course (even if it was one I already took in the past) was a good option and can be completed in a few weeks/months. Going on some type of medical mission trip in the US or overseas is definitely good, although can be expensive. I spent 10 days in Peru doing this and it gave me so much more perspective and impactful things to write about. Of course, shadowing a variety of healthcare providers always helps to bolster an application and becoming a Red Cross Volunteer is a great way to accomplish this.

I hope that helps to give you some ideas! Good luck!

Thank you for your advice! There is still a chance I could be somewhere in the Fall, but I think it is good to start thinking about my options. I have been out of school for quite some time as well and I believe that is the committee's primary concern. (I had an admissions person from another school tell me I needed to go get my Masters first). But I was concerned about being enrolled in courses during the application cycle as they most likely will hold my app until grades are posted. I like your idea of something quick like an online course and will definitely look into that. I already contacted my advisor and mentor at my Undergrad school and we are planning on meeting next week to brainstorm opportunities. Hopefully I will have some sort of plan in place by this time next week.

Can any current students comment on the Research/Physician Scientist Track? I know this is a new addition, but I thought maybe someone here might know more. Thanks!

Do you know what the movement on the alternate list is like for RVU? I cant find any past posts for acceptance from it. Do you know of anyone that has been accepted from it this year?

Do you know what the movement on the alternate list is like for RVU? I cant find any past posts for acceptance from it. Do you know of anyone that has been accepted from it this year?

At my interview they said that they took 20 or so off the waitlist last year. And as far as I know no one has moved yet this year. I think they start sometime in late April to May

Does anyone know where I can find a list of all the current rotation sites?

Wow flat out rejected just now. This is the most shocked I have been in this God awful process to date. 33 MCAT and 3.8 from Georgetown SMP. 2 years each of clinical and research work full time. I have to say that I wasn't impressed by the personalities or accomplishments (there were none, one was a librarian?) of my interviewers. But the school seemed nice. And I thought the interview actually went okay despite how boring they were. Moving forward...

Wow flat out rejected just now. This is the most shocked I have been in this God awful process to date. 33 MCAT and 3.8 from Georgetown SMP. 2 years each of clinical and research work full time. I have to say that I wasn't impressed by the personalities or accomplishments (there were none, one was a librarian?) of my interviewers. But the school seemed nice. And I thought the interview actually went okay despite how boring they were. Moving forward...
I'm sorry! Why do you think they rejected you? They said they would be sending letters in the mail to all those that interviewed and rejected with details.

I'm sorry! Why do you think they rejected you? They said they would be sending letters in the mail to all those that interviewed and rejected with details.
Can't be completed sure. I've never shadowed a DO but I did work with a couple at one point. When asked why osteopathic I basically just mentioned holistic stuff etc. truthfully I think the differences are blurring. I don't think an MD school would ever diss me if my only clinical experience came from a DO. After applying 3 times I'm getting sick of not getting in given the numbers I have and the blood sweat and tears I have put into this BS

With regards to the letter- I got an email with three paragraphs of vague nonsense that every other med school writes.

Can't be completed sure. I've never shadowed a DO but I did work with a couple at one point. When asked why osteopathic I basically just mentioned holistic stuff etc. truthfully I think the differences are blurring. I don't think an MD school would ever diss me if my only clinical experience came from a DO. After applying 3 times I'm getting sick of not getting in given the numbers I have and the blood sweat and tears I have put into this BS
sorry again! Just hang in there and follow your dream.

I can promise you your rejection wasn't based on not having experience with or shadowing a DO. Otherwise, who knows.

They invited me for an interview with a 28 and when I told them I had just got back my mcat and busted my butt to get a 33- they weren't into it. I guess less is more at Rocky Vista.

They invited me for an interview with a 28 and when I told them I had just got back my mcat and busted my butt to get a 33- they weren't into it. I guess less is more at Rocky Vista.
I'm sorry you got such a surprising rejection. I would guess that most of us here have had a similar experience at least once. In regards to your "less is more" comment, obviously that is not the case at RVU. They clearly did not base their opinion solely on your good MCAT score and instead on the other things you had (or didn't have) to bring to the table. They didn't take the less is more approach or they certainly would've let you in just based on your score and never looked at anything else. Sometims, the hardest part of this process is internal reflection and self-evaluation.

Yea good call. I've had plenty of that over the past three years. And if you're thinking about my clinical experience or research or volunteer I have way way more than the average applicant. I've been at this for 3 cycles. Maybe I should hit up the CEO or the librarian I interviewed with for some life coaching. Give me a break.

Yea good call. I've had plenty of that over the past three years. And if you're thinking about my clinical experience or research or volunteer I have way way more than the average applicant. I've been at this for 3 cycles. Maybe I should hit up the CEO or the librarian I interviewed with for some life coaching. Give me a break.
I'm not normally one to call someone out on this, but you have good stats, so maybe it's an attitude thing? You have mentioned that a librarian interviewed you. Who cares? Why should that matter one bit? Admissions at RVU is very up front on that they're looking for how you fit into the atmosphere here once you make it to the interview stage, not just how perfect your app is. Maybe you should focus a little less on how you're an above average applicant and do some introspection on what makes a good doc. Patient surveys have shown time and time again that being relatable and empathetic is more important in feeling cared for than being a perfect diagnostician. I say these things not to hate on you as a person, but hopefully so you can identify some things that you might be able to work on in the future. I'm sorry that you got such a negative impression of RVU, but I love it here and there isn't another school, MD or DO I would rather be at.

I'm not normally one to call someone out on this, but you have good stats, so maybe it's an attitude thing? You have mentioned that a librarian interviewed you. Who cares? Why should that matter one bit? Admissions at RVU is very up front on that they're looking for how you fit into the atmosphere here once you make it to the interview stage, not just how perfect your app is. Maybe you should focus a little less on how you're an above average applicant and do some introspection on what makes a good doc. Patient surveys have shown time and time again that being relatable and empathetic is more important in feeling cared for than being a perfect diagnostician. I say these things not to hate on you as a person, but hopefully so you can identify some things that you might be able to work on in the future. I'm sorry that you got such a negative impression of RVU, but I love it here and there isn't another school, MD or DO I would rather be at.
I'm sure the CEO would be happy you said that. Im sorry I don't fit in at RVU maybe I should grow my hair out a little more and not shave.

I'm sure the CEO would be happy you said that. Im sorry I don't fit in at RVU maybe I should grow my hair out a little more and not shave.
Since when is a librarian qualified to judge who would make a good doctor or medical student??? I asked my interviewers about how they came to rocky vista and they both said they "just applied". Wow. Cookie cutter med schools popping up all around the country. 1-800-rocky-vista and you can be a doctor too! Sweet. I'm outa here.

Not quite sure why this school felt the need to email me two rejection letters weeks apart. Zero class at all from this university...which is a shame because all the students and faculty I met seemed very nice. Oh well...

I understand your frustration--I've had several unsuccessful cycles in the past. In my experience I've learned that humility goes a long way in this journey--and interviewers can sense the difference between being humble vs. being self-entitled. In this game, a LOT of students have similar stats on paper. I'm sorry about your frustration--I've definitely been there--just hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
I have heard that librarians are especially adept at sensing these personality flaws. Especially at schools where the stacks look like the children's section at your local public library. The fed is raising interest rates this year so expect a tuition hike the CEO wants a new car.

I have heard that librarians are especially adept at sensing these personality flaws. Especially at schools where the stacks look like the children's section at your local public library. The fed is raising interest rates this year so expect a tuition hike the CEO wants a new car.
Oh boy. I'm not even gonna go there. I had a long answer all typed up about what medical informatics in modern practice looks like, but I am not going to argue with you or entertain your lashing out in frustration. Sorry you didn't get in. You have some maturing to do if you're going to be the head of a team in the hospital that includes CNA's and secretaries that are integral members, but are not as trained as you are. Unless you want to clean up poop and do paperwork all day, it will serve you well to learn to respect other people.

Your post is contradictory. Are you defending CNAs and secretaries? those who clean up poop and do paper work all day, or reducing what they do to said activities? Sounds like someone who had the critical thinking skills necessary to get into rocky vista and pay the CEO. I simply don't think a librarian is qualified to judge clinical acumen or the ability of a medical student. I was told that all of the DOs were in Las Vegas for the week.

Also puhhh-lease with the medical informatics. I don't need someone to help me search pubmed. I hsve 4 papers and I have yet to consult a librarian to help me find a resource.

:troll:

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Guys!
I really need your help. I was recently placed on the Alternate List for the 2015 incoming class and from what I've been reading it sounds like us "Alternate Listers" will not be notified until around Mid-May of a final decision. So, my question is: does anyone have any advice on what ACTUALLY happens from this point on and how to increase chances for further review of my application/reconsideration? Should I contact admissions? Maybe contact my interviewers?
I interviewed mid March and I feel I must exemplify some qualities that RVU really really likes to be considered for admission at this point in the cycle. It's hard for me to believe that the best advice at this point in time is to just stand idly by waiting for a decision. Any thoughts would be really really appreciated.
Thank you

You obviously looked very good on paper to receive an interview at RVU - especially this late in the cycle. Obviously you didn't do well in the interview. Your "librarian" interviewer is an Associate Professor of Medical Informatics and works very closely with our students. She has excellent insights regarding what we are looking for in our students. Your other interviewer is a PharmD on faculty.

You stated that you applied to medical schools 3 times without success. From what I see, you applied to RVU only this year. You might want to consider working on your interview skills. If you would like some constructive feedback, please feel free to contact the admissions department.

Reactions: 3 users
Your post is contradictory. Are you defending CNAs and secretaries? those who clean up poop and do paper work all day, or reducing what they do to said activities? Sounds like someone who had the critical thinking skills necessary to get into rocky vista and pay the CEO. I simply don't think a librarian is qualified to judge clinical acumen or the ability of a medical student. I was told that all of the DOs were in Las Vegas for the week.

Fyi, you've clearly put enough info in this post for admin to figure out who you are. People have been accepted & rejected from schools based on their attitudes on SDN.

Your attitude speaks volumes. I get you're bitter, but as others have said, if you want to get in you have to do some soul searching because based on these posts I'd reject you also, & I'm a student.

Reactions: 5 users
Before I stop posting in this vein of comments, I just want to make it very clear that you absolutely knew what I meant. I was a CNA in college. I was using one of the less enjoyable sides of the job to illustrate a point, and you chose to nitpick and strawman. Ok, now I'm done.

Reactions: 1 users