Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got rejected today too... 28, 3.7 (undergrad) 4.0 (graduate). I was really looking forward to this school as well. What a bummer.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is everybody staying that received II's here? They say the Red Lion Inn has shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from campus. I have never stayed at one though.

I have college buddies in Denver, so I'm crashing their couch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Crazy I just check too, and there was nothing there, five minutes later bamm!!! II. Congrats to all who got invites this first round. Look forward to meeting some of you soon!
See you there. I'll be interviewing with you on the same day (saw it on II thread).

Secondary complete 8/13. Praying I get in here....I've heard such good things about this school, I'd love to attend.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! Excited to get an ii and I'm planning to come to campus on 9/16!! Anyone else?

So I'm flying into Denver from Kansas City just for the day (arrive at 8am leave at 8:30pm...yikes) but am having no luck finding shuttles or rental cars that aren't upwards of $70-80. Anyone else doing something similar and want to save money splitting a shuttle or rental car? People keep saying this Red Lion shuttle but idk if I can use it if I'm not actually staying at the hotel....

BTW for others interested, 29 mcat, 3.8 overall, 3.6 science a little non-traditional in that I majored in Spanish in college while taking all the pre-med classes.

Hey guys! Excited to get an ii and I'm planning to come to campus on 9/16!! Anyone else?

So I'm flying into Denver from Kansas City just for the day (arrive at 8am leave at 8:30pm...yikes) but am having no luck finding shuttles or rental cars that aren't upwards of $70-80. Anyone else doing something similar and want to save money splitting a shuttle or rental car? People keep saying this Red Lion shuttle but idk if I can use it if I'm not actually staying at the hotel....

BTW for others interested, 29 mcat, 3.8 overall, 3.6 science a little non-traditional in that I majored in Spanish in college while taking all the pre-med classes.

Hey erebear6,

My II is for the 15th. I rented a car for the weekend for $130, but my friends who lived in Denver suggested that I use car2go if I wanted to save money. It's a smartcar sharing service kind of like a rental bike service. Maybe check that out if you want ot save money?

Good luck! I am super excited to interview here as well. It's my 1st choice school, and this early in the app cycle I would love to kick back a little and relax.

Let me ask the all neurotic question, when were you marked complete?

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hey erebear6,

My II is for the 15th. I rented a car for the weekend for $130, but my friends who lived in Denver suggested that I use car2go if I wanted to save money. It's a smartcar sharing service kind of like a rental bike service. Maybe check that out if you want ot save money?

Good luck! I am super excited to interview here as well. It's my 1st choice school, and this early in the app cycle I would love to kick back a little and relax.

Awesome! I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the tip. Good luck on your interview, hopefully it does go well so you can relax :]

Let me ask the all neurotic question, when were you marked complete?

Posted using SDN Mobile

haha yeah my bad. Marked complete on June 26th and was just sent the ii on August 20th. Just updated the official DO interview thread too with this info!

If you are under 25 renting a car is going to be more expensive. If you're 25+ I found rental cars for <$40. Usually rental car places tack on $20-$30/day for people who are under 25, but not all do. In order to use the Red Lion shuttle you have to be staying at the hotel. Since you're not staying overnight $50 for a rental car is getting by pretty cheaply!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey erebear6,

If you are under 25 renting a car is going to be more expensive. If you're 25+ I found rental cars for <$40. Usually rental car places tack on $20-$30/day for people who are under 25, but not all do. In order to use the Red Lion shuttle you have to be staying at the hotel. Since you're not staying overnight $50 for a rental car is getting by pretty cheaply!

Which rental service are you using? My car is going to be about $400 for 2 days (and I checked multiple places, they're all in that ballpark unless I go with a company I've never heard of before. One place had cheap cars, but online reviews show very dissatisfied customers where they return the car and get a $1000 damage bill for something unnecessary). It's $300 and then the fine print says they tack on an additional $27 per day if <25 (this is in addition to the already added < 25 surcharge). My car is costing me the same as airfare and hotel, ha ha.

Last edited:
Again, not sure if you guys are under 25, if so, expect to pay a bit more. I am not sure how you're paying $400 for 2 days, I've used numerous rental places and the only one that you absolutely should avoid is Advantage rental car, they suck, every other one I've used has been fine. Payless, which is a national rental company has a 2 day rental for $70 total. To me, $330 is a lot of money. Also, that wasn't even searching with discounts or last minute deals...
Another option is to do a super shuttle especially if it's only for a day... that would be $40...

Again, not sure if you guys are under 25, if so, expect to pay a bit more. I am not sure how you're paying $400 for 2 days, I've used numerous rental places and the only one that you absolutely should avoid is Advantage rental car, they suck, every other one I've used has been fine. Payless, which is a national rental company has a 2 day rental for $70 total. To me, $330 is a lot of money. Also, that wasn't even searching with discounts or last minute deals...
Another option is to do a super shuttle especially if it's only for a day... that would be $40...

I browsed through the various companies on the Denver airport website. I decided to check again. I clicked on Alamo and the price shows approximately $50 per day. So I decide to give them a call to request for a price total when all is said and done. For two days, it would have been $433 for an economy or free upgrade to compact size. I really don't know how the price jumps so high from the values online. The lady on the phone said the underage surcharge was $25 per day.

FWIW, my rental from Budget said $212 which then will jump to about $400 when all fees are attached. The one from Alamo showed $196 online, but fees make it over $400.

Edit: I wonder if it has anything to do with the broncos colts game.

Last edited:
Try Kayak.com, they listed a full sized car in Denver for 38 per day from a Denver company, and 40 from payless for the 16th of Sept.

I went to payless' site, and it still says $70 total for 16-17th, not sure what your exact days are. 15-16th is even cheaper at $43 total. I use travelocity and kayak to find the cheapest places, then go to neotravel to find any discounts possible, and then book... I also looked at Fox and it's about the same $70 but for a fusion instead of a yaris... Also, Fox only charges $14/day as an underage charge, so it may be the way to go for you...

Another option that I used frequently while interviewing was priceline, I was able to get cars VERY cheaply, like $40 for 3-4 days... and I always used a debit card and still didn't have a problem, I just had to have money in my account for a hold, or show them my return flight info.

Yes, I am a travel guru, I find things cheaply, and I have NEVER had any problems with any rental companies except advantage.... I used priceline A LOT during my interviews and found it helpful, I was able to get hotels in the area I needed for cheaper, and another option that I found helpful was posting on here that I was traveling to whatever school on whichever dates and finding people to split stuff... made a friend that way... You'd be surprised how many students are going on the same day, and need to cost-split... Unless your family has a ton of money and you're able to throw out tons of cash, it's helpful to spend time digging for deals...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.48.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.48.04 AM.png
    210 KB · Views: 62
I have no idea how I got this deal. My grandmother expended some sort of "points" to get me a discount. I am over 25, so that also helped.

I found stuff for $145 for a midsized for Fri-Mon, so hopefully it wasn't too many points!

Does RVU send out a complete email? My status has been "supplemental application received" for the past few days.

II! So happy, I've heard great things about this school. I'm slotted for 10/10. Complete 8/7.
cGPA 3.66, sGPA 3.63, gGPA 4.00, 26 MCAT. 4 years of research in organic synthesis, biochemistry, and molecular biology. Thesis Master's in Biochemistry from OU, due to complete May this year. I have volunteering at a free clinic, lots of primary care and specialty shadowing, I helped start a non-profit for my brother, and have done many other volunteer activities. Three years teaching experience as a gen chem TA, biochemistry tutor, biology tutor, and a lab mentor. Worked several part-time jobs during undergrad and so on and so forth.

II!!!! I'm wigging out right now. I applied to MD only last year, no interviews. This is my first feedback from this cycle and I am so stoked. OOS, MCAT 26, ~3.4 c/sgpa, MD only LORs, ER medical scribe 2.5 years at a Big Ten University hospital. Top choice for sure. Complete 08/11. II 08/25. Interview 10/10.

Saw on my portal I got the axe today. RVU looks cool but I can't even be mad.
Direct Rejection>>>Silent Rejection​
Good luck, everybody else!

I have been complete at rvu since July 17 and all my portal says is File Complete under the Applicant--> default page tab. Am I missing something that shows if I am rejected or anything else?

I have been complete at rvu since July 17 and all my portal says is File Complete under the Applicant--> default page tab. Am I missing something that shows if I am rejected or anything else?
I think if the "withdraw" button isnt gone..you're still in the running...

If you can log in, you're still in the running.

I noticed a status change on my portal saying I was rejected and I got an email today to confirm. If you're out you'll know.

I have always wondered, can you get a school to un-reject you? Perhaps maybe to call the school and to find out why you were rejected and then send them updates if those things were improved recently, asking them for reconsideration? Do people do that?

Uncertain if that would be wise. I could see some people in authority viewing it as you thinking you're smarter than they are and their decision to reject you would be you viewing them as stupid. That said, you can always ask how you could improve your application for the next cycle or something along those lines and reapply then with those suggestions under your belt.....

I applied to RVU last year and was rejected after secondary. I called admissions and talked about why they rejected me, then asked what I could do to be more competitive. I took their advice and got offered an II. It's possible to improve a few grades or an MCAT score, or the quality of your essays, your ECs for next cycle.

You can defiintely work with RVU to see what you can do for next year, but they're a school that doesn't offer a lot of IIs relative to their acceptances, so I doubt they will change their mind for this year.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Y
I applied to RVU last year and was rejected after secondary. I called admissions and talked about why they rejected me, then asked what I could do to be more competitive. I took their advice and got offered an II. It's possible to improve a few grades or an MCAT score, or the quality of your essays, your ECs for next cycle.

You can defiintely work with RVU to see what you can do for next year, but they're a school that doesn't offer a lot of IIs relative to their acceptances, so I doubt they will change their mind for this year.

Good luck!
You can always write a very professional letter asking for reconsideration. In that letter you need to include why RVU is so appealing to you and why you would make a good candidate. Also one page max.

I have always wondered, can you get a school to un-reject you? Perhaps maybe to call the school and to find out why you were rejected and then send them updates if those things were improved recently, asking them for reconsideration? Do people do that?
I'm sorry, but no. No matter how carefully you word it, you will come off as entitled and presumptuous.

If word got out that they un-rejected people, they would get buried in appeals. No way anyone would ever do that. But good to get advice for future cycles.

You can always write a very professional letter asking for reconsideration. In that letter you need to include why RVU is so appealing to you and why you would make a good candidate. Also one page max.

From what I've read in the forums it is relatively common to send a letter of intent if wait-listed after an interview, but I don't think that schools will reconsider you if rejected post-secondary. If you contact them and do what they have suggest to become a stronger applicant next year, and then apply immediately after AACOMAS apps are open, it will significantly increase your chances.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, and I've been in your position before. Best of luck on your current and future apps.

Rejected today.....so disappointed....

3.5 sgpa/3.3 cgpa/3.9 post-bacc/30 MCAT/good ECs....

If you have already been rejected, while highly unlikely, it is possible to be unrejected. It just doesn't happen very often, but remember a school can do what their admin feels is right. Most likely you can improve and reapply if you're unsuccessful anywhere else...

I thought being a re applicant was the kiss of death at a school that previously rejected you .. no?

If you have already been rejected, while highly unlikely, it is possible to be unrejected. It just doesn't happen very often, but remember a school can do what their admin feels is right. Most likely you can improve and reapply if you're unsuccessful anywhere else...
I got the axe today but have been in touch with admissions since July. I am currently in a masters at KCUMB and the admissions coordinator said if I got waitlisted or rejected that I can send in an update of my semester grades to be reconsidered. I have it in a previous email but don't want to email her back and mention it so I don't sound desperate.

I thought being a re applicant was the kiss of death at a school that previously rejected you .. no?
If they give you feedback of where to improve, and you make significant improvement in those areas, it shows commitment and ability to follow directions. I'm a reapplicant to two schools this year and for one of the two I received specific feedback. I've improved in 6 of the seven (very picky) areas and I feel confident that I'll get accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the axe today but have been in touch with admissions since July. I am currently in a masters at KCUMB and the admissions coordinator said if I got waitlisted or rejected that I can send in an update of my semester grades to be reconsidered. I have it in a previous email but don't want to email her back and mention it so I don't sound desperate.

I would encourage you to call and talk with the admissions director (the person who reviews the files and makes the decisions) to determine the reason for the rejection. Typically if you are a reapplicant and are currently in a masters program, you would be placed on the interview wait list pending your fall grades. There is most likely another reason for the denial.

Absolutely not. You will want to address the steps you have taken to strengthen your application from the previous cycle and reaffirm your interest in attending the school.

How would anyone ever get in if no one ever took reapplicants?? It's better to get in the first time, but nothing wrong with changing stuff & reapplying

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely not. You will want to address the steps you have taken to strengthen your application from the previous cycle and reaffirm your interest in attending the school.
That is my situation as well. I am a re-applicant as well. Last time I was on of the last interview dates. Did not get in because of some mistakes in my application, a little nervous with the interview (which was stupid) and didn't document my ECs well. I asked for a reconsideration and again was denied but they offered to go over my application to make it stronger for this round. This round II on the first day, and have meet and completed all the items that I needed to do to make my application stronger. It also helped with my other applications as well because I have two other first round II and my stats still are on the low end. So those of you that got denials, hang in there. Contact the school and work with people to make your application stronger next round.

congrats to those who've received interview invites! i just submitted my secondary and was browsing this thread. I wanted to ask aside from having state ties/geographical location what are some reasons for people from previous posts about the "Good/great things," "looking forward to going to this school," "top choice," and reasons for attending RVU?

also, is RVU the only "for-profit" school still?

To those of you interviewing, are you all staying at Red Lion Inn or with a student?

To those of you interviewing, are you all staying at Red Lion Inn or with a student?
I am a student host, and have had several students stay with me, always willing to host if you can get yourself to my house!