Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
was there even a student host option advertised?
If I remember right it was on the ii email. Being that I live here I skimmed over that part. But it was definitely posted here.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewing on Tuesday. Almost forgot to print out my waiver and all that stuff! Super excited. Does anyone know how long it takes to find out the interview results?

Reactions: 1 user
If you are interested in staying with a student email admissions. They have a list of students and what accommodations each student has available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing on Tuesday. Almost forgot to print out my waiver and all that stuff! Super excited. Does anyone know how long it takes to find out the interview results?
I found out within 5 days, but I think they say you'll know for sure within 2 weeks. :)

The AACOMAS Waiver? Do you print it out if it passes the 45 days where it's active? Because you pretty much pass 45 days just to get verified lol. I am curious because I had one for the primary and am very interested in having it for secondaries if I am ever verified. :)

I found out within 5 days, but I think they say you'll know for sure within 2 weeks. :)
It goes in batches I believe, so some people find out sooner, and some later... Like if there is two weeks of interviews, the first week of that batch will find out in ~2wks, and the 2nd week will find out in a week... That is just my understanding...

So I read an article from a couple of years ago saying that because RVU was new and not fully accredited, it was not possible to get federally subsidized loans. Is that still true? Does it matter?

That is not true. RVU is fully accredited and has federal loans. FYI, NO medical school can get subsidized loans because they are only for UG education.

Reactions: 1 users
do you need to have taken biochem prior to submitting apps? i never took it but would be willing to in order to satisfy the requirement before i start. didnt know schools were starting to require it. what should i do?

I've been seeing a lot of interview tips to research your interviewer... is there a way to know who will be interviewing us or do we find out the day of?

Anybody else interviewing this Monday?

Super excited that tomorrow is the date!!! Looking forward to meeting several of you and hoping good vibes for he rest of you!
I've been seeing a lot of interview tips to research your interviewer... is there a way to know who will be interviewing us or do we find out the day of?
As for your question, nope. They assign you two interviewers and a time slot in the morning to interview with (three groups of 4 if they have all 12 slots filled). So unless you want to be rude and search the internet while different heads of departments come and meet with those that are waiting to interview then you are SOL. But on the other hand it is way low key, so relax.

Hey erebear6,

My II is for the 15th. I rented a car for the weekend for $130, but my friends who lived in Denver suggested that I use car2go if I wanted to save money. It's a smartcar sharing service kind of like a rental bike service. Maybe check that out if you want ot save money?

Good luck! I am super excited to interview here as well. It's my 1st choice school, and this early in the app cycle I would love to kick back a little and relax.

When are you flying in? and when do you leave?

Members don't see this ad :)
Super excited that tomorrow is the date!!! Looking forward to meeting several of you and hoping good vibes for he rest of you!

As for your question, nope. They assign you two interviewers and a time slot in the morning to interview with (three groups of 4 if they have all 12 slots filled). So unless you want to be rude and search the internet while different heads of departments come and meet with those that are waiting to interview then you are SOL. But on the other hand it is way low key, so relax.
So is the interview with a group of other students? Or just you and a panel of interviewers?

The interview is just you with two staff members interviewing you. Pretty low-key, not usually intense, they usually don't have access to your grades or MCAT...

GOOD LUCK! I go in monday for mine and I am super-dooper excited.

Good luck to everyone with interviews today and in the next couple of weeks! I just wanted to put out there to feel free to ask any students, not just your tour guides, questions you may have about the school/curriculum/etc. We'd all be happy to take a study break to tell you about how awesome this place is! I'll be dressed down for OPP lab today, so I'll be in navy blue bball shorts and a grey "Bethel" half-zip if you see me around specifically. I'll answer to haxx, so feel free to yell at me if you've got a burning question you want answered! If I can't figure it out, I'll find someone who can! Again, good luck, and relax! It won't be as bad as your mind is building it up to be, I promise! :)

Thanks again to all you current RVU students, you guys make the day great, besides Katy's brownies. As for those who are wondering they told us today we should know about the results of our interview on or slightly after the 19th of September.

Thanks again to all you current RVU students, you guys make the day great, besides Katy's brownies. As for those who are wondering they told us today we should know about the results of our interview on or slightly after the 19th of September.
Those brownies are amazing. The interview day was very nice. Very relaxed.

Are II's still be sent out? I am so bummed that I have't gotten one yet.

Are II's still be sent out? I am so bummed that I have't gotten one yet.
They give out II through April. They are on the other hand very selective who they invite. Of all the II they accept like 70-75%. So no word is good means you are still in the running.

Last edited:
anyone going to be there on the 15th with me!!?? if so where are you staying? (hahaha that sounds creepy)

anyone going to be there on the 15th with me!!?? if so where are you staying? (hahaha that sounds creepy)

I'll be there! Where r u stayin? Are you renting a car? I'm getting there around 6:30pm on Sunday. You?

I'll be there! Where r u stayin? Are you renting a car? I'm getting there around 6:30pm on Sunday. You?
I'm staying at red lion. so allegedly they have a shuttle to the interview but when i talked to the hotel people they didn't think there was one...... id rather not have to rent a car (under 25 fees make it ridiculous!!) my flight arrives at 10:30pm sunday.

It would be a recent change if there was not a shuttle. You should probably call and make sure one way or the other. If you're worried about fees for a rental car, try Fox because their fees are pretty low comparatively.

There is a shuttle to the school, I'm staying at Red Lion tonight.

I'll be in the afternoon group. Staying with friends in town. I rented a car so if you guys want ot get together or need a ride anywhere Sunday or Monday (after the interviews) you could throw me some gas money in exchange for transport.

I'll be in the afternoon group. Staying with friends in town. I rented a car so if you guys want ot get together or need a ride anywhere Sunday or Monday (after the interviews) you could throw me some gas money in exchange for transport.

When do you fly in on Sunday?

Hey guys, I had my interview today at Rocky Vista, so interview day is fresh in my mind. It was a very unique and thrilling experience. If anyone has any questions about what the schedule is like or anything regarding the day, feel free to shoot me a message.

I'm coming in Saturday evening. Sunday I'm going to a Buffalo Bills backer bar for squish the fish.

Interviewing Oct. 10. Just curious for those that interviewed, did the mention recent board scores? I know they jumped way up when they did a curriculum change when the previous dean was there, wondering if they mentioned what this year's scores were?

From the new dean (this is the 3rd dean, not the dean who changed the curriculum):
"We received the final statistics from the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners for this past academic cycle and I am proud to announce that Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine is NUMBER ONE among all Osteopathic Medical schools on first time pass rate for the COMLEX-USA-1. Our mean scores are only 2 points off first place for the highest mean scores among all the colleges of osteopathic medicine. This is a tribute to you our students, to the dedication of the Board and Staff and Faculty, and to an outstanding curriculum. I could not be prouder, but it is not time to rest on our laurels we must maintain that position and bring up performance in other areas as well."

Reactions: 8 users
I would totally be willing to chip in! Im in the afternoon group as well!

Good luck to everyone interviewing today! Don't forget to print and sign the additional documents on the webpage.

Note to future interviewees. Don't bring a parent with you to interview day. Just don't.

Reactions: 2 users
Note to future interviewees. Don't bring a parent with you to interview day. Just don't.

At first I thought he was a member of the faculty trying to gauge how the interviewees would react when first placed together.

Hey guys. Flew into Denver and stayed with my friend downtown. First time to Colorado and I'm in love with this state.

I had my interview today, and it was very laid back. My interviewers made small talk with me, then reviewed the most important parts of my file. They do not have grades or transcripts in front of them, and I'm told that they don't know any of this information. So don't panic that the interviewer is going to pick you apart if you have any blemishes to your prereqs. My interview was more of a conversation than question and response, and the interviewers made jokes and laughed. Yours might be different, but that was the style of my interview.

The facilities are modern and new, but the campus is not huge. It's very close to Denver (25 minutes from downtown without traffic, 50 with), but there are many new housing developments that have been built a few miles from campus. You can see the Rockies from the school on a clear day, and it seems like there are a lot of clubs that do wilderness/snow sports. There's a student lounge with foozeball and ping pong, which, if you're like me, is a deal breaker.

Don't moderate your intake of Katy's brownies, students/professors will finish them before you get back from lunch.

As always, good luck.

Who have all of you interviewed with so far?

Just got my II 45 minutes ago (9:00 pm MST). I'm trying to work out a Utah --> Denver --> Mesa trip with interviews at RVUCOM and ATSU SOMA back to back. If it weren't for SOMA's "social" the night before the interview, it would work perfectly. But if I can get it to work, it will save me some $$$. :)

Just got my II 45 minutes ago (9:00 pm MST). I'm trying to work out a Utah --> Denver --> Mesa trip with interviews at RVUCOM and ATSU SOMA back to back. If it weren't for SOMA's "social" the night before the interview, it would work perfectly. But if I can get it to work, it will save me some $$$. :)

I couldn't attend the social at AT still and it didn't seem to hurt me at all. I asked them about it before I went and they said it was completely optional. So its up to you!

Interviewed yesterday, really liked it a lot!

Do people actually bring their parent's? This is a serious question. I did not know that prospective med students did that, apparently they do.

There was one at the interview group on monday. F'realz.

There was one at the interview group on monday. F'realz.
That is hilarious. Definitely had me laughing. Sorry for anyone who brought parents. If you bring your parents maybe try and show them the campus after you are done with the interview. Just a thought.

That is hilarious. Definitely had me laughing. Sorry for anyone who brought parents. If you bring your parents maybe try and show them the campus after you are done with the interview. Just a thought.
Or just wait until family day in the fall after you're accepted and make decisions for yourself now. Y'know, like a grown up would.

Dr. Ketchum and another female PhD who's name escapes me. Liked them both.

Last edited:
Since most of the faculty is female, that isn't helpful ;)