Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Ketchum and another female PhD who's name escapes me. Liked them both.
Her last name was Pate

Members don't see this ad.

Since most of the faculty is female, that isn't helpful ;)
Kathryn Pate...Anyway the interview went a lot better than I was expecting. The school is actually a lot bigger than it looks. It was clean and open, and I was impressed with the students there. They require both the MD and DO boards which is a plus in my opinion. They claimed to have a 100% pass rate for the step one boards this last year, and that they were the #1 DO school for scores on the DO boards. However, other interviewees I talked to said other schools claimed the same thing and when I was in my interview, they told me that actually one person did not pass so it is more like 99.9% passed-which is still good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Kathryn Pate...Anyway the interview went a lot better than I was expecting. The school is actually a lot bigger than it looks. It was clean and open, and I was impressed with the students there. They require both the MD and DO boards which is a plus in my opinion. They claimed to have a 100% pass rate for the step one boards this last year, and that they were the #1 DO school for scores on the DO boards. However, other interviewees I talked to said other schools claimed the same thing and when I was in my interview, they told me that actually one person did not pass so it is more like 99.9% passed-which is still good.

I think what they said was #1 school overall based on pass rate of COMLEX (99%), and #2 school overall based on COMLEX score. (unless I heard wrong, this was my understanding)

Vikings, you are correct. I am not aware of anyone who didn't pass, but I can't promise that no one did... I know we had someone score over 780 on COMLEX...

For those of you who were recently offered interviews, when was your application marked complete?

I knew it was Pate. Was she recently married because I had trouble finding her in be faculty directory and thought I made her name up.

Dumped pre-interview. OOS. Strong stats. Good luck to all in the running!

I interviewed at this school last week. Absolutely loved it, if anyone has any interview questions let me know! Supposed to find out on Monday if I got in...

Enrolled students: Any word on if you have access to forums in your MyVista if that means whether you are in or not? Admissions committee was supposed to meet today to decide...

I interviewed at this school last week. Absolutely loved it, if anyone has any interview questions let me know! Supposed to find out on Monday if I got in...

Enrolled students: Any word on if you have access to forums in your MyVista if that means whether you are in or not? Admissions committee was supposed to meet today to decide...

Talked to Julie at admissions today, the first list of acceptances go out monday morning. The list has already been certified. Good luck all. Hope you all get the phone call and not the email.

Reactions: 1 users
Talked to Julie at admissions today, the first list of acceptances go out monday morning. The list has already been certified. Good luck all. Hope you all get the phone call and not the email.

Did they have a chance to look at this week interviews?

What day did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they have a chance to look at this week interviews?
Sorry I have been working and haven't been able to respond but I am not sure how far down the pile they got, I know the first week people should know.

Hi all, currently filling out a secondary here. I am just wondering if there is anything that makes RVU stands out? I am trying to make my essay why RVU not to sound so generic. Thanks!

Hi all, currently filling out a secondary here. I am just wondering if there is anything that makes RVU stands out? I am trying to make my essay why RVU not to sound so generic. Thanks!

Why apply here if you don't know what stands out? RVUCOM wants students that genuinely would like to be there. I don't think anyone is gonna help you type your essay. We all had to do it, you can too.

Well im not asking you or anyone else to type my essay. I've been digging up old threads myself..I was thinking maybe current students have some insights that I can't find on RVU's website or that I havent come across in old threads.

Well im not asking you or anyone else to type my essay. I've been digging up old threads myself..I was thinking maybe current students have some insights that I can't find on RVU's website or that I havent come across in old threads.

What kinds of insights do you need that you can't find in old threads or Google searches? What do YOU want in a medical school? If nothing you find matches what you want, then go ahead and ask what youre looking for specfically.

If your essay is sounding generic, then it sounds like you have some more research to do. Remember RVUCOM screens their secondaries very heavily since they accept such a large number of interviewees. If you don't have a genuine reason for attending this school, it's going to be very evident in your essays and your chance isn't gonna be too high.

What kinds of insights do you need that you can't find in old threads or Google searches? What do YOU want in a medical school? If nothing you find matches what you want, then go ahead and ask what youre looking for specfically.

If your essay is sounding generic, then it sounds like you have some more research to do. Remember RVUCOM screens their secondaries very heavily since they accept such a large number of interviewees. If you don't have a genuine reason for attending this school, it's going to be very evident in your essays and your chance isn't gonna be too high.
Agreed. The school is asking you to describe what stands out to you as an applicant. The whole point is to personalize the essay, and taking others' ideas will not reflect your own sentiments. Take 20 minutes and explore the website... Not too hard datbbq

Agreed. The school is asking you to describe what stands out to you as an applicant. The whole point is to personalize the essay, and taking others' ideas will not reflect your own sentiments. Take 20 minutes and explore the website... Not too hard datbbq
I meant royfan*

Thanks @datbbq and @TampaPride55, i've been exploring and will make the essay personal as to why RVU :)
Seems like people got pretty nasty here fast. On other threads I've seen , current students seem to be willing to share observations and perspectives that you don't find on marcom generated web-sites. Some of the things that I think are different about Rocky Vista: it's in Colorado (otherwise CO only has one other medical school...); other than USUHS it's the only US med school I've seen that has a military med specialty (lots of HPSP scholarship holders here) and also has rural/wilderness med. It's for profit.---not typical of US med schools. But they do some great volunteer work: if you look at the on-line magazine on their alumni Facebook site, you'll see info on their visits in 2014 to Nepal and Guatemala. For a little history, check out the Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0929/060.html In any case, good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Time to change the tone of this discussion!
Accepted!!!!!!!! Woo Woo!!

Super excited! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 9 users
I actually found out on Friday from the director of admissions (Julie Rosenthal) but didn't say anything until the official notifications started going out this morning. I had been working really hard to improve my application after I got rejected after the interview in April. With out the support of the admissions staff and their suggestions I am sure that I would not be as successful as I have been this round. They have made me part of the RVU family even though I was only an outsider. She actually called me personally because she knew how hard I was working at this goal. It is the family atmosphere and lack of competition that makes RVU so attractive to me besides being close to home, getting an awesome education, and excelling so quickly in such a short period of time. I am 98% positive that this is where I am going for medical school. Although I am still going to interview at two more schools and I have already interviewed at DMU I want to be 100% positive. Those other schools are going to have to really impress me to change my mind.

Seems like people got pretty nasty here fast. On other threads I've seen , current students seem to be willing to share observations and perspectives that you don't find on marcom generated web-sites. Some of the things that I think are different about Rocky Vista: it's in Colorado (otherwise CO only has one other medical school...); other than USUHS it's the only US med school I've seen that has a military med specialty (lots of HPSP scholarship holders here) and also has rural/wilderness med. It's for profit.---not typical of US med schools. But they do some great volunteer work: if you look at the on-line magazine on their alumni Facebook site, you'll see info on their visits in 2014 to Nepal and Guatemala. For a little history, check out the Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0929/060.html In any case, good luck!

Thank you @VanEman , I really appreciate it!

For those who are wondering I also got my official call this morning (945) and my portal has not changed. Also got an email saying I am on the wait list at DMU so one less school to have to consider in the mix of positives and negatives when making a final decision.

royfan, I loved the fact that the anatomy lab looks out on the rocky mountains and the cut suit technology is a pretty high-speed way to learn surgery, etc. They were the first with cut suit and there are only 3 schools with it now, to include Harvard.

Wow they're quick! Interviewed 9/16 - accepted today!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 9/16 and accepted today while I was ordering a sandwich.

Time to cancel my other IIs! Good luck to all of the other applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call at 10:25, accepted!!! I acted like a complete idiot on the phone. A little too much coffee this morning, perchance? Anyway, super, super excited. It's my top choice, great location for my family and awesome atmosphere. Whee!

Reactions: 4 users
Got the call at 10:25, accepted!!! I acted like a complete idiot on the phone. A little too much coffee this morning, perchance? Anyway, super, super excited. It's my top choice, great location for my family and awesome atmosphere. Whee!

That's okay. I started crying at a deli counter in the middle of the supermarket. So yeah, at least that didn't happen to you.

Oh wow, I'm so glad I wasn't in public. :) Too funny!

Accepted this morning! Congratulations everybody.

For those who are wondering I also got my official call this morning (945) and my portal has not changed. Also got an email saying I am on the wait list at DMU so one less school to have to consider in the mix of positives and negatives when making a final decision.

Wow they're quick! Interviewed 9/16 - accepted today!

That's okay. I started crying at a deli counter in the middle of the supermarket. So yeah, at least that didn't happen to you.

my phone didn't show that i had missed any calls but with all the posts from people at my interview day i called my my voicemail....

I AM ACCEPTED!!!!!

Congrats everyone! Interviewing in a couple weeks and pretty excited to head out there, this is my top choice. Those with acceptances and have been on other interviews, where is RVU falling in your ranks?

Portal just changed, no loner shows the applicant tab and under interview tab has all the matriculation materials.

Congrats everyone! I'm excited to see you around next year! :)

Note for those who are not biology majors. Rocky Vista requires 12 semester units of biology, unlike the 8 required at most schools, and 3 units of biochemistry before matriculation. No big deal for bio majors, but could be a decision factor for applicants who get accepted but would then have to take two more required classes before matriculation.

Hey for anyone who has been accepted, have you gotten your official email letter and forms yet?

ACCEPTED! Canceling all of my interviews and looking forward to meeting all of you next summer!​

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED! Canceling all of my interviews and looking forward to meeting all of you next summer!​
Yep, got mine too. Just two more trips to make 100% certain to make sure this is the place for me, although I am already 98% positive.

I got accepted too!!! Can't wait to meet all of you and hang next year :)

Accepted!! I've still got one interview this week but plan on canceling my out of state interviews. Definitely leaning towards Rocky Vista... so excited!!

I did not include Rocky Vista on my list of schools for the AACOMAS. I really do like the area because I have always been in the southeast and really am not a big fan. I am concerned that it is a for-profit school though. I am afraid that the school is more worried about making money off of me than seeing me as a student. I don't want a school that cuts corners to make profit. It makes me nervous to apply to a place that I know is there to make profit first because that's why they started the school.

Can anyone explain how this school is about students in general and about the quality, etc?

I did not include Rocky Vista on my list of schools for the AACOMAS. I really do like the area because I have always been in the southeast and really am not a big fan. I am concerned that it is a for-profit school though. I am afraid that the school is more worried about making money off of me than seeing me as a student. I don't want a school that cuts corners to make profit. It makes me nervous to apply to a place that I know is there to make profit first because that's why they started the school.

Can anyone explain how this school is about students in general and about the quality, etc?
I'm a first year here. I was worried slightly about that too, but it's COMPLETELY unfounded. We're treated super well here, and our money is put back into the school, not pocketed. :)