Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Call or email admissions

Members don't see this ad.

out of curiosity what's the average wait time for a replay from the school? This school looks amazing and the anticipation is killing me

They called me a whole week early with the unofficial acceptance. But that was very early in the cycle, so I would expect a larger wait time.

Reactions: 1 user
For weeks now, my portal has said, "The Admissions portal is currently down for maintenance. It will be back up soon."

Is this a problem exclusive to me? I want to see my status this is killing me haha

Nope. I've heard the same from some recent interviewees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Need advice. Supposed to interview 12/11, but some things came up that would make it difficult for me to get there. If I rescheduled for January 13 (or next available one), do you think it would impact my chances on getting in? Seeing as there are no interviews in between those dates, I would guess not.. but would like others' advice. Thank you.

Can someone tell me more about the curriculum? And, is there time off like 9 weeks on 1 week off? Or is it straight through? How long are summers for 1st and 2nd year? Thanks!

Need advice. Supposed to interview 12/11, but some things came up that would make it difficult for me to get there. If I rescheduled for January 13 (or next available one), do you think it would impact my chances on getting in? Seeing as there are no interviews in between those dates, I would guess not.. but would like others' advice. Thank you.
Resolved

Reactions: 3 users
I havent been on here in a while but I am accepted! I fell in love with the school and I am canceling all my future interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
Just declined my acceptance and I hope that it goes to one of you!!!!

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure this has already been brought up but I am coming from out of state for an interview and would like to know the best way to get from Denver to Parker without renting a car. Are there shuttle services that anyone is aware of that have been in the same position as me? thanks!

Red Lion has a shuttle, and several others are available at the local hotels. You just have to stay there to use them.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone who has been accepted noticed their site has been down for maintenance for a while? Also has anyone started financial aid processes such as FAFSA?

The applicants portion in general has been down for 4 weeks or so

Red Lion has a shuttle, and several others are available at the local hotels. You just have to stay there to use them.

Yeah, I'm going to have to find one of those others that have shuttles, Red Lion is doing construction or something during my interview period unfortunately.

I'm sure this has already been brought up but I am coming from out of state for an interview and would like to know the best way to get from Denver to Parker without renting a car. Are there shuttle services that anyone is aware of that have been in the same position as me? thanks!

Yeah, I'm going to have to find one of those others that have shuttles, Red Lion is doing construction or something during my interview period unfortunately.

red lion is connected to the radison hotel. they are sort of the same. i booked under red lion and had to check in at the radison front desk. they are aware of the consturction. radisson staff was very helpful and nice. they offered free shuttle service to and from the airport, to and from the school, and to restaurants within a 5 mile radius. i stayed for 1 night and it was only about 115.

red lion is connected to the radison hotel. they are sort of the same. i booked under red lion and had to check in at the radison front desk. they are aware of the consturction. radisson staff was very helpful and nice. they offered free shuttle service to and from the airport, to and from the school, and to restaurants within a 5 mile radius. i stayed for 1 night and it was only about 115.

You rule! I'll give them a call later today!

Hope you didn't pay $115, because the rate was $72. If you paid more, please call the hotel at 303-306-3309 to request a refund. For anyone else interviewing after the first of the year, rates are going up to $85 per night. The cost includes the free shuttle service as well as breakfast. To get the discount, you have to tell them you want the Rocky Vista University rate. Also, the Red Lion is no more, everything is booked under the Radisson name.

Hey first time poster here. First off I have to thank all the current RVU students for their insider knowledge, and also every other applicant for helping to ease my own tensions seeing that all of you are going through the same thing.

Where I stand: was marked complete on Nov. 26th because of a late LOR. Anyone know of the likelyhood of getting an ii?

Hey first time poster here. First off I have to thank all the current RVU students for their insider knowledge, and also every other applicant for helping to ease my own tensions seeing that all of you are going through the same thing.

Where I stand: was marked complete on Nov. 26th because of a late LOR. Anyone know of the likelyhood of getting an ii?

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. My letter went in sometime in February and then interviewed later that month and got in a week later. I think it mainly depends on how good of a candidate you are at this point.

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago. My letter went in sometime in February and then interviewed later that month and got in a week later. I think it mainly depends on how good of a candidate you are at this point.

Thank you! That helps relieve some of the anxiety.

Hmm i was complete around the same time, i hope to hear news soon. This school does straight rejection right ? no silent treatment ?

II today!! just checked my email! I was complete sometime end of october

Hope you didn't pay $115, because the rate was $72. If you paid more, please call the hotel at 303-306-3309 to request a refund. For anyone else interviewing after the first of the year, rates are going up to $85 per night. The cost includes the free shuttle service as well as breakfast. To get the discount, you have to tell them you want the Rocky Vista University rate. Also, the Red Lion is no more, everything is booked under the Radisson name.

wow thanks! i just called and they gave me a refund! weird they said i never mentioned the RVU discount. when i called to make the reservation and asked about the shuttles to and from the school... nonetheless they were really friendly and the conversation was less than a minute

interview on 01/28!!!!! So excited, so much to do!

Last edited:
has anyone who has been accepted noticed their site has been down for maintenance for a while? Also has anyone started financial aid processes such as FAFSA?

You can't start your FAFSA yet. You won't be starting school until the 2015-2016 calendar year, so you won't be able to complete the FAFSA until next year, usually after January.

Anyone live in Stone Canyon apartments in Parker? Reviews? Or other condos/apartments with dog park facilities? Thanks! I want to visit some when I interview just in case I get accepted. :)

Does anyone know how rvu compares to MD schools on usmle scores?

I don't know specific numbers but when I interviewed last year they told me that we're above average nationwide. Also, It's mandatory to take USMLE here, which points to the fact that they will prepare us well for both tests. :)

There used to be some source that showed average rocky vista usmle scores by year, but now I can't find it.

Here (http://www.rvu.edu/PDFs/Vista-View_August2012.pdf) under "a message from the president" he talks about the usmle, which was 220 for the 103 students who took it (class of 2014). That year the average usmle score was 227 with a std deviation of 22. I believe the average is for USMD and Canadian schools.

So, some things to keep in mind about where that puts RVU's scores in the future- back then, people only took the USMLE if they chose to, which is the normal setup for osteopathic schools. From here on, everyone takes the USMLE at RVU. Hopefully that wouldn't hurt the USMLE scores, but it might. However, the current classes at RVU have better entering stats than class of 2014 did. So, use your best judgement in deciding if you think the average usmle scores will go up. I think they will. Also, I've been told that some aspects of my class's curriculum is different because now it's presented to cover both usmle and comlex topics, while previous classes' board relevant material were focused entirely on the comlex.

For comparison's sake, here's CU, our local MD school:
http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...tration/evaluation/default/Pages/default.aspx

Those scores were basically the national average at the time, and CU probably scores similar to the average now.

Hopefully you wanted a long answer with links....

Rejected via portal. Make sure you check that thing every day

End of October I believe. I just checked it today and instead of "portal is down" it says "...we regret to offer you an interview..."
Im sorry to hear that brother but look at it this way, you're still in some where and who knows we may both get into MSUCOM and laugh about this later. Always be appreciative of what you have earned or received.

Im sorry to hear that brother but look at it this way, you're still in some where and who knows we may both get into MSUCOM and laugh about this later. Always be appreciative of what you have earned or received.

Oh it's fine. I'm not too worried about it, happy with my current acceptance, but hope to remain in-state lol.

Placed on the alternate list. I'm a bit bummed, but it was expected. It was easily the worst interview I had. Not sure what happened. Maybe I was too relaxed or something, but I sure didn't do well and I kinda figured I'd be either waitlisted or rejected.

Hello all,
I submitted my secondary on 9/21, but I have not heard anything from them. Is this relatively normal or am I just lucky?

Placed on the alternate list. I'm a bit bummed, but it was expected. It was easily the worst interview I had. Not sure what happened. Maybe I was too relaxed or something, but I sure didn't do well and I kinda figured I'd be either waitlisted or rejected.

At least you weren't rejected. Can I ask when did you interview?

Hello all,
I submitted my secondary on 9/21, but I have not heard anything from them. Is this relatively normal or am I just lucky?
If you haven't heard anything that means you are still in the running. No news is good news, although its painful waiting for any news.

I bumped my interview date to 1/08! And this makes me worry considering it is a "stress free" interview.

You are not alone! It was by far the hardest interview I had as well. My interviewers were intimidating and asked a lot of hard questions, mostly about me being out of state and why wouldnt I go somewhere else. I was pretty frazzled during the whole thing and thought I would be rejected as well because of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Alternate list. Congrats to all those accepted!! Best of luck to everyone else