Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello young bloods! I am a current first year (almost second, woo!) and an ambassador at school, and I just want to post here again this year to let you all know that I'd love to answer any questions you may have! Feel free to post them here if they could be helpful to others, otherwise you could PM me as well. Good luck to all of you! :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello young bloods! I am a current first year (almost second, woo!) and an ambassador at school, and I just want to post here again this year to let you all know that I'd love to answer any questions you may have! Feel free to post them here if they could be helpful to others, otherwise you could PM me as well. Good luck to all of you! :banana:
Hello there! I'm new to posting to SDN but a long time lurker. Rocky vista is definitely my number one choice school after I toured in January! Katy was super nice and extremely supportive of students who want to attend RVU. As an accepted student, what do you think represents the student body at RVU? What types of students do they like to bring in for interviews? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad :)
RVU seeks students who epitomize the qualities that all of us look for when selecting our own personal physician or someone we would entrust to care for our family. Successful candidates have a strong service orientation, leadership, great communication skills and personal qualities. The admissions committee also looks for recent full time course work, higher division science courses, and strong MCAT scores. Pay attention to the essay questions on the supplemental application. Be sure not to be overly generic. Provide a glimpse into who you are and why you would be a good fit for RVU. Completed applications are screened very carefully by the Executive Director of Admissions and as a result, over 70% of candidates who are invited in for an interview are accepted.

RVU seeks students who epitomize the qualities that all of us look for when selecting our own personal physician or someone we would entrust to care for our family. Successful candidates have a strong service orientation, leadership, great communication skills and personal qualities. The admissions committee also looks for recent full time course work, higher division science courses, and strong MCAT scores. Pay attention to the essay questions on the supplemental application. Be sure not to be overly generic. Provide a glimpse into who you are and why you would be a good fit for RVU. Completed applications are screened very carefully by the Executive Director of Admissions and as a result, over 70% of candidates who are invited in for an interview are accepted.
Well I was going to come on here and answer this today, but that was very well put. Show admissions why you're unique through your app and it will get you a long way! :)

I am having a hard time finding recent secondary essays for this school. I would like to prewrite them if I could. Can anyone help me out on this?

@Gandy741 These were the questions last year and seem to be the same ones I had 2 years ago. Good luck!

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to include a resume.

2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician? * *Required

4. Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine? * *Required

5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic profession? * *Required

6. Have you ever been charged with a criminal offense? All information regarding offenses must be disclosed regardless of adjudication (including juvenile offenses, sealed, expunged or dismissed charges; any charges that are pending; any charges regardless of how much time has elapsed since the incident, etc.). Failure to disclose could result in the revocation of your acceptance to RVU. Further, any incidences occurring after acceptance and prior to matriculation must also be brought immediately to the attention of the Executive Director of Admissions and Marketing. Any incident occurring while you are a student at RVU must be reported immediately to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. An additional background check will be run prior to starting clinical rotations at the end of your second year. Any blemish on the background check may result in dismissal from RVU, failure to be accepted for clinical rotations, not being considered for a residency program, or failure to receive a license to practice medicine. RVU reserves the right to request additional information as needed regarding anything appearing on the background check and is not responsible for consequences occurring as a result of any information contained on any background check.

Select One Yes No *Required
7. If yes, explain completely

8. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

@Gandy741 These were the questions last year and seem to be the same ones I had 2 years ago. Good luck!

1. If not currently in school, describe present activity and activity since you were last a full time student. Feel free to include a resume.

2. Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?

3. Why do you want to become an Osteopathic Physician? * *Required

4. Why do you wish to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine? * *Required

5. What unique characteristics, abilities, or skill will you bring to the college and to the Osteopathic profession? * *Required

6. Have you ever been charged with a criminal offense? All information regarding offenses must be disclosed regardless of adjudication (including juvenile offenses, sealed, expunged or dismissed charges; any charges that are pending; any charges regardless of how much time has elapsed since the incident, etc.). Failure to disclose could result in the revocation of your acceptance to RVU. Further, any incidences occurring after acceptance and prior to matriculation must also be brought immediately to the attention of the Executive Director of Admissions and Marketing. Any incident occurring while you are a student at RVU must be reported immediately to the Associate Dean for Student Affairs. An additional background check will be run prior to starting clinical rotations at the end of your second year. Any blemish on the background check may result in dismissal from RVU, failure to be accepted for clinical rotations, not being considered for a residency program, or failure to receive a license to practice medicine. RVU reserves the right to request additional information as needed regarding anything appearing on the background check and is not responsible for consequences occurring as a result of any information contained on any background check.

Select One Yes No *Required
7. If yes, explain completely

8. Add any additional information that you consider pertinent or that you feel will be of benefit as a student or as an osteopathic physician.

Ok Cool thanks!

Top choice school as I am a Colorado native. Hopefully this cycle brings me some love! Thanks @Haxx for posting last years secondaries so we can pre-write!

@Haxx or does anyone knows the avg matriculating GPA and MCAT?

@Haxx or does anyone knows the avg matriculating GPA and MCAT?
For our class, the stats are all listed in our Vista View newsletter. sGPA: 3.59 cGPA 3.63 MCAT: 28.11 Here's a screencap I took:

NWTeoBz.png

Source: http://issuu.com/rvucom/docs/vista-view_september2014_final Page 4

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for the info!! Good to know. Is there a character count limit on secondary essays? If not, is there a general guideline that people seem to follow in terms of an acceptable length?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In need of some advice everyone! I don't know if I should follow through with the secondary application.
I have a strong application besides my MCAT score. 3,86c 3.86s 25 MCAT about 500 hours of total volunteer experience and about 200 hours of clinical experience.
What do you all think?

Thanks for the info!! Good to know. Is there a character count limit on secondary essays? If not, is there a general guideline that people seem to follow in terms of an acceptable length?
Have you received a secondary yet?

In need of some advice everyone! I don't know if I should follow through with the secondary application.
I have a strong application besides my MCAT score. 3,86c 3.86s 25 MCAT about 500 hours of total volunteer experience and about 200 hours of clinical experience.
What do you all think?

Go for it! When I toured Katy said they take a comprehensive look at applicants. Also, it's early in the cycle, so keep that in mind. You've got nothing to lose.

Secondary just now. Starting to get swamped!

Reactions: 1 users
Under the early decision program, when it says you have to agree to only apply to RVUCOM, does that mean you can only apply to them? or you can only do the early decision program with them? because lets be honest, I'm applying to way more than just them. But I would do the early decision program with them if I could.

Under the early decision program, when it says you have to agree to only apply to RVUCOM, does that mean you can only apply to them? or you can only do the early decision program with them? because lets be honest, I'm applying to way more than just them. But I would do the early decision program with them if I could.

As I understand it, it means you only apply to RVUCOM. Then, if you don't get in EDP, you can apply to other schools.

Edit: Never mind!

Last edited:
Do you know if they're sending secondaries in waves? I have yet to receive mine. Do they not send supplementals to everyone?

Do you know if they're sending secondaries in waves? I have yet to receive mine. Do they not send supplementals to everyone?

I assume they probably send them in waves. I didn't get one either but it seems that I've been getting secondaries later than everyone on here.

I got CCOM, NSU, and DMU about 1 week later than I've seen. Still "under close review" at CUSOM. The only exception was PCOM which I got yesterday. No word from LECOM-E/B or RVU.

I assume they probably send them in waves. I didn't get one either but it seems that I've been getting secondaries later than everyone on here.

I got CCOM, NSU, and DMU about 1 week later than I've seen. Still "under close review" at CUSOM. The only exception was PCOM which I got yesterday. No word from LECOM-E/B or RVU.

I got CCOM on time personally. I'm hoping RVUCOM sends secondaries to everyone! It's my in-state school, so I'd really like to go here!

RVUCOM only sends supplemental applications to those candidates who meet the minimum requirements. All supplementals have been sent out to verified candidates today.

RVUCOM only sends supplemental applications to those candidates who meet the minimum requirements. All supplementals have been sent out to verified candidates today.
I exceed the minimum requirements based on their website. Have all supplemental applications been sent that will be sent? Thank you.

Have you guys started doing this one yet? The form is so buggy and glitchy. SIgh

Have you guys started doing this one yet? The form is so buggy and glitchy. SIgh

I was just coming here to vent about it. I don't think I can continue until they fix it lol every time I do anything it refreshes the page and sends me an email. So frustrating.

I had to complete all in one go. I had issues with entering the e-mails of my LOR writers, but that was fixed once I started a new form.

I exceed the minimum requirements based on their website. Have all supplemental applications been sent that will be sent? Thank you.

Yes, supplemental applications have been sent out to everyone who was verified as of yesterday. The next group will be sent out on Friday. If you have questions about your application, please send me a PM.

Argh this is the party I wanna be at. HURRY UP AND VERIFY AACOMAS.

what are the minimum requirements?

haven't received a secondary. I am assuming its because my mcat score isn't verified.

what are the minimum requirements?

Minimum of 3.0 science and cumulative GPA, MCAT scores within past 3 years with no individual section score below a 6 or cumulative score of at least 500 for the new exam.

haven't received a secondary. I am assuming its because my mcat score isn't verified.

That will do it. Only those applications with official scores can move forward in the process.

Also you can complete the page once you hit send by pulling it back up through the email they send you. There is an edit button on the left upper side of the email.

1. I read on another thread that some students complain about the lengthy school year. Can you comment on that? Do you get like 1 week break between 1st and 2nd year? lol
2. What is cost of living like in the area? (what's rent for a decent 1 bedroom apt)
3. PBL structured or nah?
4. I'm considering HPSP. Can you comment more about the military medicine track. All i could find online was this link which sounds really cool. Also, could you do the track if not in HPSP?
http://searchparker.com/military-friendly-medical-school-in-our-own-backyard/

Last edited:
1. I read on another thread that some students complain about the lengthy school year. Can you comment on that? Do you get like 1 week break between 1st and 2nd year? lol
2. What is cost of living like in the area? (what's rent for a decent 1 bedroom apt)
3. PBL structured or nah?
4. I'm considering HPSP. Can you comment more about the military medicine track. All i could find online was this link which sounds really cool. Also, could you do the track if not in HPSP?
http://searchparker.com/military-friendly-medical-school-in-our-own-backyard/

I can't comment as to the second two questions, but as a Colorado native and someone with friends at RVUCOM, I can answer the first two.

1) There is a 6 week gap between the first and the second year, which is a bit shorter on average than most.
2) The cost of living in Parker itself is a little high. You're going to pay at very least $1200 for a decent 1 bedroom. If you venture into one of the surrounding cities that isn't terribly close to Denver, you might get away for $950. Most people have roommates for this reason.

First Rejection of the season! I'll take it...lol

Same here -- although I don't totally understand it. I got an email stating that I did not meet the minimum requirements to move forward in the application process. However, I understand that their minimum c/sGPA is 3.0 and minimum MCAT is a 6 on each section, each of which I surpass. I sent an email to admissions inquiring if there was something else about my application that disqualified me. If I don't hear back I'll probably call tomorrow.

Same here -- although I don't totally understand it. I got an email stating that I did not meet the minimum requirements to move forward in the application process. However, I understand that their minimum c/sGPA is 3.0 and minimum MCAT is a 6 on each section, each of which I surpass. I sent an email to admissions inquiring if there was something else about my application that disqualified me. If I don't hear back I'll probably call tomorrow.

Hmmm....really? Yea I meet those requirements too. Ill call them

Last edited:
Well,, I got the "rejection" too. My mcat is a 10/8/10 so I assume I meet the criteria. However, I was wondering if someone can give me some help. I couldn't reach RVUCOM admissions but I called a couple other DO schools and they said they haven't received my MCAT scores even though they have my AACOMAS. One school said that they simply dont have my MCAT while another offered an explanation. Apparently, AACOMAS had some problems inputting MCAT scores with the primary and that is causing some delay with MCAT scores.

My question is...as far as MCAT scores, all I have to do is send the MCAT scores to AACOMAS and submit the application right? On the AACOMAS, my MCAT scores have a green "check mark" next to them so I assume it means that they received my scores. Do I have to do anything else?

EDIT: So I got a call from RVU. They were returning my call. Apparently, the MCAT scores havent been verified. They said that its a common problem that happens to many students. If you got an email saying that they are not moving forward at this time and you meet the minimum requirements, I think its because the MCAT scores haven't been verified yet. We just have to be patient.

I can't comment as to the second two questions, but as a Colorado native and someone with friends at RVUCOM, I can answer the first two.

1) There is a 6 week gap between the first and the second year, which is a bit shorter on average than most.
2) The cost of living in Parker itself is a little high. You're going to pay at very least $1200 for a decent 1 bedroom. If you venture into one of the surrounding cities that isn't terribly close to Denver, you might get away for $950. Most people have roommates for this reason.
From the website, i see that RVU is big on serving both locally and internationally. Do students volunteer at clinics often

From the website, i see that RVU is big on serving both locally and internationally. Do students volunteer at clinics often
Yes! And in fact, as of next year a student run free clinic should be up and running at RVU as well! :)