Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection email just now pre interview.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Would you share when you were complete?

Members don't see this ad.

This wait is killing me....completed secondary 9/16...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to update everyone on major policy changes, as of this week there are now ZERO required lectures at RVU!
:highfive:

Reactions: 6 users
Just to update everyone on major policy changes, as of this week there are now ZERO required lectures at RVU!
:highfive:
Wait what did I miss, Does this refer to CSI and BSC sessions?

Wait what did I miss, Does this refer to CSI and BSC sessions?
It does! They are no longer mandatory. Which is awesome.

Just got an II from here this evening!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received an II after being rejected? Glitch in the system maybe? I was rejected in early September and then received an II yesterday morning.

Hey, my portal changed today and the applicant tab disappeared. Did any one else's change? What tabs are normally there? All I remember is the applicant tab haha

When I got an II, the interview tab appeared and the applicant tab remained.

When accepted, the applicant tab and interview tab disappeared, and the accepted tab appeared.

Hey, my portal changed today and the applicant tab disappeared. Did any one else's change? What tabs are normally there? All I remember is the applicant tab haha

Previous individuals have noticed that when they were rejected, their applicant tab disappeared.

I interviewed 10/7, and they mentioned that they would take about two weeks to get back to us. Has anybody interviewed the week of october 5-9 and heard back from them yet?

I interviewed 10/7, and they mentioned that they would take about two weeks to get back to us. Has anybody interviewed the week of october 5-9 and heard back from them yet?
Hi, I did not interview then but I was interviewed 10/15, and they told me they were having a committee meeting today. Also, I will know Monday or Tuesday next week. Did you check your portal?

Last edited:
Just got the call. ACCEPTED!! :clap:

Reactions: 2 users
Also just got the acceptance call from Katy! Email forthcoming on Tuesday.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking for some advice on how I should be feeling about this process, particularly from people that got in/are currently matriculating.
App is currently being verified by AACOMAS. Non-traditional student. 507 MCAT, 3.97 undergrad (but not pre-med), 3.92 Science, currently shadowing a D.O. with another lined up (But that is not on the formal app as I didn't want to wait any later to submit.) but I do have a solid chunk of clinical hours (200ish) and am a Denver local that is ONLY interested in D.O. LORs from 3 chiros, a D.O., 5 profs, another local D.O. who wants to CALL the school once the app is officially going through and am a solid writer with professional writers to review my personal statement, so I am feeling OK(?) on that.
But...reading the CVs of some of the people that have been rejected on this thread is making me...not feel very hopeful. I am totally an out-of-the-box kind of candidate, which, conveniently, lends itself more to the D.O. path than the allopathic but I am concerned that I am TOO far out of that box...

Looking for some advice on how I should be feeling about this process, particularly from people that got in/are currently matriculating.
App is currently being verified by AACOMAS. Non-traditional student. 507 MCAT, 3.97 undergrad (but not pre-med), 3.92 Science, currently shadowing a D.O. with another lined up (But that is not on the formal app as I didn't want to wait any later to submit.) but I do have a solid chunk of clinical hours (200ish) and am a Denver local that is ONLY interested in D.O. LORs from 3 chiros, a D.O., 5 profs, another local D.O. who wants to CALL the school once the app is officially going through and am a solid writer with professional writers to review my personal statement, so I am feeling OK(?) on that.
But...reading the CVs of some of the people that have been rejected on this thread is making me...not feel very hopeful. I am totally an out-of-the-box kind of candidate, which, conveniently, lends itself more to the D.O. path than the allopathic but I am concerned that I am TOO far out of that box...
You're sold in my opinion. When were you complete?

Thank you for that.
Well, I completed the application about a week ago, it is awaiting some professional transcript entry, which I paid for on two schools, and is in the verification process on the rest, though everything is listed as received. I had AAMC release my score the day it came out, which seems like it only sometimes gets to AACOMAS. So, nothing is even at RVU yet, as far as I know. My other complication is that 4 of my LORs are in hard copy, due to a relocation in the middle of school. RVU wants me to have them mailed or hand delivered on the day that it goes through. I also should say that I am a little light on bio but am taking another 5 credit hours now and planning on another 9 in the spring...so, that's a concern.

Thank you for that.
Well, I completed the application about a week ago, it is awaiting some professional transcript entry, which I paid for on two schools, and is in the verification process on the rest, though everything is listed as received. I had AAMC release my score the day it came out, which seems like it only sometimes gets to AACOMAS. So, nothing is even at RVU yet, as far as I know. My other complication is that 4 of my LORs are in hard copy, due to a relocation in the middle of school. RVU wants me to have them mailed or hand delivered on the day that it goes through. I also should say that I am a little light on bio but am taking another 5 credit hours now and planning on another 9 in the spring...so, that's a concern.
Your stats are great, for sure. One thing I would change if it were my app (accepted here just fyi) is to limit the number of LORs you submit. AACOMAS only accepts 6, and I've hard that having more than that is not beneficial. I'd specifically limit it to one chiro rec, as this isn't exactly a clinically relevant evaluation, probably more like a character reference. And maybe only 3 professors? Letters can be hugely beneficial, but I think overkill can go the other way. Best of luck!!

Your stats are great, for sure. One thing I would change if it were my app (accepted here just fyi) is to limit the number of LORs you submit. AACOMAS only accepts 6, and I've hard that having more than that is not beneficial. I'd specifically limit it to one chiro rec, as this isn't exactly a clinically relevant evaluation, probably more like a character reference. And maybe only 3 professors? Letters can be hugely beneficial, but I think overkill can go the other way. Best of luck!!
Thanks for the feedback and the compliment. Much appreciated. I guess my concern was that some people with great stats are getting rejected this year. I am mystified by this process! Congrats to those that were accepted, btw! It is great to see your excitement and relief.

I also got an acceptance call yesterday (Friday). Tough choices going forward!

Alright! Got the phone call! I really like rvu, but I'm also trying to decide between AZCOM and rvucom. Anybody have any input by chance?

Alright! Got the phone call! I really like rvu, but I'm also trying to decide between AZCOM and rvucom. Anybody have any input by chance?

You'll get a competent education either way but AZCOM's tuition is already over 60k

AZCOM is not only more expensive, but they also have lower board scores and pass rates than RVU. You should also take in account the location and rotation hospitals, etc. Their curriculum are different too, see which one you like more :)

RVU also has a much higher COL than AZCOM.

Cost of attendance for AZCOM is still roughly $12,000/year more. So it will cost close to $50,000 more over the 4 years to attend AZCOM, which is a significant chunk of money.

As far as academics is concerned, What do you guys think? With a higher COL in Colorado, it's probably close to even as far as money goes

As far as academics is concerned, What do you guys think? With a higher COL in Colorado, it's probably close to even as far as money goes
Academics wise RVU wins hands down. they have 100% pass rates on their boards last year and 2nd highest score on the boards out of all DO schools. The only other school that uses the same curriculum is KCU. And if you go to AZCOM's website, it seems like their graduation rate is decreasing too..not sure why that is.

The COL is higher, but in the long run you still do save a few thousand a year. If you pay 1k for rent (avg for Parker) and 500 for Glendale, that's only 6k extra. Even if the grocery prices are a little bit higher, it still won't be as much as 6k more than Glendale. Also, Parker is in a really nice area (safe, etc) and it's gorgeous in Colorado! :D
Not sure about AZCOM's location, but there's so many outdoor activities in Colorado (hiking, skiing, mountain biking, etc) and you're close to Denver, so you get to enjoy the city life too if that's what you're into.

On top of the great location, you also get a better education. So RVU wins :)

Another plug for Colorado. If you're able and willing to live 20-30 minutes from campus and have a roommate, rent is really reasonable here. I live in Denver currently (which is great!) and pay $500 with one roommate. And, honestly, who didn't want to live in Colorado?? Hope to see you next summer ☺

Congrats! When were you complete? Also, was it via Email or Portal?
Thank you! My file was complete 08/20 and I was invited via email

Last edited:
I've been put on interview wait list according to my portal..complete late August

I've been put on interview wait list according to my portal..complete late August
I've been complete around the same time as you and my portal says "File Complete". What exactly does your portal say? Is the Applicant tab still available on your portal?

I've been complete around the same time as you and my portal says "File Complete". What exactly does your portal say? Is the Applicant tab still available on your portal?
It says "interview wait list" under the status and my applicant tab is still there. I actually just got an email from them this morning saying that my application is still being considered and will be re-evaluated

II this morning. Been complete for 2-3 months.

What airport does RVU recommend?

Last edited:
It was a real easy trip down the freeway to get there from DEN.