Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So orientation week is July 18-23 but classes don't start until Aug 25. What do we do in the inbetween time? :welcome::zip:

Members don't see this ad.

Does class start on July 25th?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also, does anyone know what grades I need to get in my classes to maintain my acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know what grades I need to get in my classes to maintain my acceptance?
Well.... I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule, but... don't fail them I guess. I'd imagine there won't be trouble unless you can't graduate when you're supposed to.

So orientation week is July 18-23 but classes don't start until Aug 25. What do we do in the inbetween time? :welcome::zip:
When I started there, class started in late July. I'd definitely make sure you've got the start date right before planning trips or anything because it probably is right after orientation.

Reactions: 1 user
Well.... I don't know if there's a hard and fast rule, but... don't fail them I guess. I'd imagine there won't be trouble unless you can't graduate when you're supposed to.

When I started there, class started in late July. I'd definitely make sure you've got the start date right before planning trips or anything because it probably is right after orientation.

Whoops, you are correct. It is July 25th! I got the wrong info. haha

Does anyone know if there is a lot of movement on the waitlist and if it is ranked?

Made my deposit today

:=|:-):

Reactions: 2 users
Fwiw, When I was interviewing a student said about 80% got off the waitlist the year he applied, and he got off the waitlist himself.

Fwiw, When I was interviewing a student said about 80% got off the waitlist the year he applied, and he got off the waitlist himself.
The student was misinformed regarding the high percentage of alternates being admitted. There have been years when no alternates were pulled. The maximum number of alternates admitted in any class was 17. There is always hope though...

Reactions: 3 users
@Mandypremed48

I haven't been on since responding to your question about updates but how'd your interview go? That's awesome they got back so quick after your update, they're pretty on top of it I got my acceptance 4 days after my interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
gave up my spot here! hope it goes to one of you guys!

Joined the applicant pool very late. My secondary was complete last Tuesday and I received an interview invite today. Will be there on March 9th! Any tips would be much appreciated :)

Any current students out there want to comment on the housing situation? I am curious what the average rent costs are, where students live, etc? Also what is the name of the apartments next to the school?
Thanks!

Any current students out there want to comment on the housing situation? I am curious what the average rent costs are, where students live, etc? Also what is the name of the apartments next to the school?
Thanks!
Not a current student, but once I was accepted I went to go check out housing. I don't know how a single person would find a roommate, but a 1 bedroom apartment will run 1000-1200. There are various places close to campus such as Coyote Ranch and Courtney Downs. Those places next to the school are condos and not apartments (pretty sure).

Yeah, housing in Denver is expensive as hell.

I'm sure I'll be able to find something reasonable, I just don't want to spend all of my living expenses on rent.

II just now. Sent primary maybe 2 weeks ago, got secondary a few days later. 3.6 cGPA 3.85 sGPA 506. CA resident.

Pretty freakin' happy.

Reactions: 2 users
I combed through this thread but there wasn't much information about what the interview day is like. Can someone share some info about what the day is like and what we should expect?
Also, if we are interviewing in March, are we basically interviewing for the alternate list? I remember when RVUCOM visited my school they mentioned that most students that are offered an II are accepted because they are very selective with who they invite for interviews. Don't sugarcoat, just be honest haha

I combed through this thread but there wasn't much information about what the interview day is like. Can someone share some info about what the day is like and what we should expect?
Also, if we are interviewing in March, are we basically interviewing for the alternate list? I remember when RVUCOM visited my school they mentioned that most students that are offered an II are accepted because they are very selective with who they invite for interviews. Don't sugarcoat, just be honest haha

I'd believe what they said in the email in that 75% of those interviewed are accepted. The people at this school (faculty and students) and the people in my interview group were wonderful. Given that the administrative people are so nice, I find it difficult to believe they'd interview you for waitlist without telling you. My interview group had 8 people in it including myself so you should expect about that many people. You'll get a tour of the school, the dean will talk to you about the curriculum, and have lunch with the students. They will give you a sheet telling you about your interviewers. Your interview with faculty is one of the last things you do and its super relaxed. I didn't think it was my best interview, but it was my first and one thing I know for sure the entire day + the interviewers made me feel at ease. There's a pleasant feel good surprise that I'm not gonna spoil for you (it doesn't have anything to do with your admissions status). Good luck!!!

I'd believe what they said in the email in that 75% of those interviewed are accepted. The people at this school (faculty and students) and the people in my interview group were wonderful. Given that the administrative people are so nice, I find it difficult to believe they'd interview you for waitlist without telling you. My interview group had 8 people in it including myself so you should expect about that many people. You'll get a tour of the school, the dean will talk to you about the curriculum, and have lunch with the students. They will give you a sheet telling you about your interviewers. Your interview with faculty is one of the last things you do and its super relaxed. I didn't think it was my best interview, but it was my first and one thing I know for sure the entire day + the interviewers made me feel at ease. There's a pleasant feel good surprise that I'm not gonna spoil for you (it doesn't have anything to do with your admissions status). Good luck!!!
Just a heads up. My interview was before everything else. It was a morning interview if that makes a difference.

Just a heads up. My interview was before everything else. It was a morning interview if that makes a difference.

Ah yah that's probably the difference mine was scheduled as an 11AM-4:30PM I believe.

I just got my II here just a few days ago! Literally the night before my first med school interview, so I was pretty excited! :)
I actually submitted my secondary literally months ago... so it was a big, but pleasant surprise. GPAs: 3.55, MCAT: 27, GPAc: 3.65

How did everyone feel about the school itself? The other school I interviewed at was Midwestern, which was awesome, but the biggest turn off is its 60K tuition ><

I just got my II here just a few days ago! Literally the night before my first med school interview, so I was pretty excited! :)
I actually submitted my secondary literally months ago... so it was a big, but pleasant surprise. GPAs: 3.55, MCAT: 27, GPAc: 3.65

How did everyone feel about the school itself? The other school I interviewed at was Midwestern, which was awesome, but the biggest turn off is its 60K tuition ><
I had a really good feeling about the school. The curriculum is excellent and all, but I really tried to gauge the happiness level of the students. Let me tell you, they all looked like they were happy to be there. The area is great too.

Had to give up my spot here yesterday. It was a really sad moment because I really did love the feel of this school and was looking forward to making friends with all of you. Being honest with myself I think the school I chose is the better option for me personally. Hope it goes to one of you lovely folks that just got your interview invites! Good luck!

QUESTION: If I have an AM interview, could I be back at Denver International by 2:30?

Just be sure to not take the toll roads! The rental car companies don't tell you about it.

I was planning on ubering. Or is that nonexistant outside LA..
Uber does exist in Colorado. Not sure of how much it would cost as I've never used it. I think you can look up cost estimates within the app maybe?

I was planning on ubering. Or is that nonexistant outside LA..

I just looked up a fare estimate from DEN to RVUCOM and there must be some price adjustment for the airport. It says it will cost $44-$56 to get to the school! If you were to walk 10 minutes outside of the airport, the fare drops to $27-$34.

I looked through last year's forum and noticed that RVUCOM didn't interview at all in March. Are those of us that are interviewing in March doing it just for the alternate list? RVU doesn't have a large class size and it's a very popular school. I couldn't see why they haven't filled up their class yet. Do ya'll think the 75% admission statistic post-interview applies to us too?
Sorry, I just really like this school and I'm really nervous. Im ready to drop my deposit to the other school I got into if I get in here.

I looked through last year's forum and noticed that RVUCOM didn't interview at all in March. Are those of us that are interviewing in March doing it just for the alternate list? RVU doesn't have a large class size and it's a very popular school. I couldn't see why they haven't filled up their class yet. Do ya'll think the 75% admission statistic post-interview applies to us too?
Sorry, I just really like this school and I'm really nervous. Im ready to drop my deposit to the other school I got into if I get in here.

I think this might go for a lot of other schools as well. I could be wrong, but I've been suspecting the new MCAT is caused some delays that put schools behind earlier in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
The whole cycle was pushed back MINIMUM 1 month and pushed back 2 months for some schools. Combination of letters through AACOMAS and new MCAT.

The whole cycle was pushed back MINIMUM 1 month and pushed back 2 months for some schools. Combination of letters through AACOMAS and new MCAT.
hmmm interesting.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can find the policies that the waivers are referring to? I read the catalogue but nothing was mentioned there. I don't like signing waivers/contracts without reading all the fine print haha

hmmm interesting.

In the meantime, does anyone know where I can find the policies that the waivers are referring to? I read the catalogue but nothing was mentioned there. I don't like signing waivers/contracts without reading all the fine print haha
There was something about death eaters, but I just skimmed that part and signed it.

Also, for Enterprise car rental, I used the corporate code that Rocky Vista gave with their "Hotel Information" sheet, but did not see any discount from the original prices at all (on any of the cars). All the cars are still around $80 and up, which doesn't seem right.

Was anyone else able to get actual discounts on Enterprise car rentals?

RVUCOM did interview last March. Candidates who interviewed well were placed on the "Accepted Pending Space" list. All who received that status were accepted for class that matriculated last year. Given that the final deposit isn't due until May 2nd, candidates interviewing this month will most likely also receive the APS status. The policy is that anyone who can't be accommodated for the class matriculating this year will receive an early acceptance for next year.

Interviewing tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone that already interviewed been placed on the Accepted Pending Space list? Trying to get a feel on whether or not there are any spots left.

Has anyone that already interviewed been placed on the Accepted Pending Space list? Trying to get a feel on whether or not there are any spots left.

No, the APS status is only for those candidates interviewing this month.

Did anyone else notice how deposit 3 is now missing under the file status checklist?