Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't say you shouldn't come to this school. I would say that there are issues, but every school has issues.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received my secondary on Monday.

Anyone else having trouble submitting secondary during payment process using credit card? I click submit and nothing happens.

Edit:nvm it works now

Last edited:
For the question on the secondary "Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate school?", are we supposed to say just yes or no, or should we give the details of our employment?

Submitted!

It is sort of confusing, is there any easy way to see your status? Is it where mine currently lists "payment pending?"

Hey all, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on length for secondary responses. Right now I have a range from just a few sentences (for the working in undergrad question), to almost 1000 words for why do you want to be a DO.....I'm feeling like I should edit the long one down, but just thought I'd put it out here for some feedback first! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Hey all, I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on length for secondary responses. Right now I have a range from just a few sentences (for the working in undergrad question), to almost 1000 words for why do you want to be a DO.....I'm feeling like I should edit the long one down, but just thought I'd put it out here for some feedback first! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

My essays were around 250 - 400 words. I just kept them the general length of most essays I have been writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary finally submitted.

I did the same thing. A few essays were about 500 words and then why DO, why RVU and personal qualities were ~1000 words. Hope it doesnt hurt me but I doubt it would prevent me from an II.

Did anyone else get a rejection e-mail?

Post-secondary. I submitted 07/08.
Do you meet their minimum gpa/mcat requirements? A couple people on this thread were rejected pre-secondary by mistake and called RVU to straighten things out.

Do you meet their minimum gpa/mcat requirements? A couple people on this thread were rejected pre-secondary by mistake and called RVU to straighten things out.
I believe I do. 3.61 science, 3.64 overall with 27 MCAT (8,9,10).

Post-secondary. I submitted 07/08.

What did it say? My non-SDNer friend said he got one hours after submitting but the email said something like "we regret to inform you, that you have been declined for interview for the matriculating class in July 2015"

Wonder if they got the date incorrect or if they are talking about his app last year (he applied the previous cycle)..

Also sorry....

What did it say? My non-SDNer friend said he got one hours after submitting but the email said something like "we regret to inform you, that you have been declined for interview for the matriculating class in July 2015"

Wonder if they got the date incorrect or if they are talking about his app last year (he applied the previous cycle)..

Also sorry....
It's mentions July 2016, so it might be genuine. I'm more surprised than anything, because I wasn't expecting to hear about interviews/rejections until August at the least. Regardless, no application processes are complete without rejections! Good luck everyone!

It's mentions July 2016, so it might be genuine. I'm more surprised than anything, because I wasn't expecting to hear about interviews/rejections until August at the least. Regardless, no application processes are complete without rejections! Good luck everyone!
It might be worth it to call the admissions and ask why. I can think of two positive outcomes that would happen #1 they realize it was a mistake #2 They tell you "We hated your PS, Secondary, you didn't have enough volunteering/clinical or your stats weren't high enough" Then you can adapt accordingly.

Reactions: 1 users
While working through some application issues, I got an email saying that they are going to be reviewing files later this week. So hopefully good news is coming... ?

Reactions: 1 user
While working through some application issues, I got an email saying that they are going to be reviewing files later this week. So hopefully good news is coming... ?

Reviewing completed files for II? ( ie. supplement already submitted)

It might be worth it to call the admissions and ask why. I can think of two positive outcomes that would happen #1 they realize it was a mistake #2 They tell you "We hated your PS, Secondary, you didn't have enough volunteering/clinical or your stats weren't high enough" Then you can adapt accordingly.
Turns out you were right about #1. I e-mailed them about it and I was told that there was a glitch where re-applicants were sent rejection e-mails.

Yup. So make sure to get in your secondary before they start the reviews.

Already submitted, however I'm nervous if there really is a issue they are having with incorrectly rejecting re-applicants.....

I just submitted the secondary and got my acknowledgement of the application received email. This secondary was very frustrating because every time I would click to the next screen, it seemed like all my info would erase. I entered it numerous times until I just decided to submit the application and see what happened. When I pulled up the report, thankfully it was all there, but holy cow this secondary online app program is not right.

Review of completed applications will start the week of August 17th. Unfortunately there have been some hiccups with a new IT process. If you have any questions regarding your status, please contact the admissions office at [email protected]. Nobody has been denied post-secondary at this time.

Reactions: 6 users
Submitted!

It is sort of confusing, is there any easy way to see your status? Is it where mine currently lists "payment pending?"
My application status says "Applicant" Where do you see the "payment pending" status? Applicant status or File status?

My application status says "Applicant" Where do you see the "payment pending" status? Applicant status or File status?

Not sure anymore as now I am listed as an "Applicant" like you.

I guess it just needed to clear before I got swapped over.

Hopefully we hear something soon!

Could anyone describe their experiences with year 3/4 rotations, or what they know/have heard?

edit-Just read the stuff on page 2, still open to more wisdom though

Last edited:
Has anyone received a complete email or are we just supposed to assume our file is complete?

how are my chances applying here as an Illinois resident specifically Chicago with mcat 27 (9/9/9) 3.6/3.55? also, how does this school being a for profit effect us?

why do you want to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

after reading the forum and getting a negative vibe about the school I dont. but seriously what are some positive things about this school?

why do you want to attend Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

after reading the forum and getting a negative vibe about the school I dont. but seriously what are some positive things about this school?

They just changed the graduation date for our class and pushed it back a week. Many students already had plans to use the 2 weeks before residency to move, travel, vacation or honeymoon. I am now out 2 very expensive plane tickets. They just keep changing everything too late in the game.

We had an email last year which designated the graduation date, so people made plans around that. Now we just got another email changing the graduation date.

This is in addition to changing the graduation requirements 2 weeks before the last year of school after most sub-internships were planned and scheduled.

I would never come to a school that puts their students through this and frankly I wish I hadn't come to RVU.

Last edited:
If all of this stuff is true then I think RVU might have shot all the way down to the bottom of my list. Unfortunate because I had such a good impression of the school before.

If all of this stuff is true then I think RVU might have shot all the way down to the bottom of my list. Unfortunate because I had such a good impression of the school before.

Same here. RVU was pretty high on my osteopathic list but I'm still holding onto the secondary and not sure if I even want to submit at this point.

I think there is a pretty negative tone in this thread right now which isn't entirely deserved. Yes I was one to complain about the "dress code" that is being implemented and I still think it is lame but certainly not a reason not to attend this school. Basically you would lose out on sandals and shorts :/. I am just entering my third year so I can't speak too much from my experience with clerkships but I honestly am still very happy to be a student at this school. The first two years prepare you very well for boards (mid 240's on step 1 for me) and this is a HUGE factor for residency applications. It sounds like there were some decisions made that negatively impacted some of the students a year or two above me like soondoc and it sounds like it sucks. This is still a pretty new school so there is still some settling in to do and we have come really far for a school so new. Changes are expected and most of them are for the better. The student body here is fantastic and I think we have some really good rotation sites since there are only 2 medical schools in the state (ymmv). In the end every school has it's own set of problems and some decisions will be made by the school that will piss off some students but overall I still think RVU is an excellent choice for prospective DO students and I certainly would not cross this school off your list because of some things said by disgruntled students in this thread. At least come visit and decide for yourself...

Reactions: 6 users
I think there is a pretty negative tone in this thread right now which isn't entirely deserved. Yes I was one to complain about the "dress code" that is being implemented and I still think it is lame but certainly not a reason not to attend this school. Basically you would lose out on sandals and shorts :/. I am just entering my third year so I can't speak too much from my experience with clerkships but I honestly am still very happy to be a student at this school. The first two years prepare you very well for boards (mid 240's on step 1 for me) and this is a HUGE factor for residency applications. It sounds like there were some decisions made that negatively impacted some of the students a year or two above me like soondoc and it sounds like it sucks. This is still a pretty new school so there is still some settling in to do and we have come really far for a school so new. Changes are expected and most of them are for the better. The student body here is fantastic and I think we have some really good rotation sites since there are only 2 medical schools in the state (ymmv). In the end every school has it's own set of problems and some decisions will be made by the school that will piss off some students but overall I still think RVU is an excellent choice for prospective DO students and I certainly would not cross this school off your list because of some things said by disgruntled students in this thread. At least come visit and decide for yourself...

I agree with most of this and thanks for posting. But students applying need to know that this school is not what is was advertised to be for my class. Expect big, sporadic changes, frustration and to lose a lot of money along the way if you want to graduate from this school (http://news.doximity.com/entries/1756412?user_id=6330993).

I agree with most of this and thanks for posting. But students applying need to know that this school is not what is was advertised to be for my class. Expect big, sporadic changes, frustration and to lose a lot of money along the way if you want to graduate from this school (http://news.doximity.com/entries/1756412?user_id=6330993).

I just want to say thank you for both taking the time to answer our questions and give your candid experiences at RVUCOM.

As a pre-med, I've found it very difficult to get first-hand information about what a specific medical school is like, and I appreciate you both taking the time to post on here.

Last edited:
Has anyone else been having a problem with the "school info" portion of the secondary? For the past week or two my information in that tab hasnt been getting saved.

Is the school LGBT friendly? Would it hurt me if I mentioned that I am LGBT in my secondaries? Thanks

Is the school LGBT friendly? Would it hurt me if I mentioned that I am LGBT in my secondaries? Thanks
The school is definitely LGBTQ friendly. I have classmates all over the spectrum. Good luck with the app!

Is anyone else having problems submitting and paying for the II? I fill out everything and get to the payment page, but nothing happens after I click continue..

Is anyone else having problems submitting and paying for the II? I fill out everything and get to the payment page, but nothing happens after I click continue..
Which browser are you using? I could not get it to work with Chrome but it worked for me on Firefox.

You have to pay for II?