Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I have above average stats for both their gpas and MCAT, and yes I do have EC's. In fact, I think my EC's are the strongest part of my application.

However as you guys can probably tell after reading the first sentence, I got a rejection email.

I guess I should have climbed more mountains or something? idk

I know that upper level science courses beyond the pre-reqs are highly favored. My buddy had done the basic pre-reqs and had above average stats for the school but was told to take 18 more credits of science classes to be considered. That is the only thing I can think of. That or maybe you didn't come across that you really wanted to be at RVU in your essays. Sorry about the bummer news - good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that upper level science courses beyond the pre-reqs are highly favored. My buddy had done the basic pre-reqs and had above average stats for the school but was told to take 18 more credits of science classes to be considered. That is the only thing I can think of. That or maybe you didn't come across that you really wanted to be at RVU in your essays. Sorry about the bummer news - good luck!

My transcript is littered with upper level courses so I am at a loss there as well. Oh well, its just 1 rejection. I got 2 other interviews today from DO schools. This application process is a roller coaster of emotions.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is a great resource. Do you know if there are any volunteer programs at RVU where current students can get involved?

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you an RVU student or prospective student? What are you wanting to get involved in? Sorry just kinda confused by what you are asking...

Rejected today :(
Reapplicant 34/3.65, strong ECs, clinical experience, and DO letter. I worked really hard to improve my app for this cycle so not sure what's holding me back. I sent them an email asking for feedback and I'll update you guys when I hear back.

What the hell. 34 and a 3.65? Your stats run laps around this school and they still rejected you. Not worth your time

I'm not really sure what you are asking. Are you an RVU student or prospective student? What are you wanting to get involved in? Sorry just kinda confused by what you are asking...
I'm a prospective student. Just trying to learn more about RVU to get a better feel for this school. I know RVU is focused on providing service to the community just wondering what specific type of programs they have for that.

I tried getting feedback about my recent rejection from here and haven't heard anything back from them (its been a bit over a week).
Oh well though, I received two MD IIs to ease the pain since then.

Reactions: 1 user
What the hell. 34 and a 3.65? Your stats run laps around this school and they still rejected you. Not worth your time

People like this get rejected every year... I think a lot of it has to do with essays as well. When you are a strong candidate I think it is even more important to show that you really want to go to a DO school and that it isn't a backup to MD schools. In an earlier post in this thread the admissions SDN account said that they read every word of the essays and that they are important in whether you get an interview or not. They are picky with interviews because 80% of people interviewed get accepted. Anyway it is definitely a frustrating process and I'm sorry to all those who have gotten rejections.

I'm a prospective student. Just trying to learn more about RVU to get a better feel for this school. I know RVU is focused on providing service to the community just wondering what specific type of programs they have for that.

Ok I see. Do you live in CO? I am not personally aware of volunteer opportunities for prospective students but you could email admissions and ask them how you could get involved. That would probably be the best route. I know they also do transcript reviews with prospective students so that would be another opportunity to get some face time with admissions and help your chances. Good luck!

Ok I see. Do you live in CO? I am not personally aware of volunteer opportunities for prospective students but you could email admissions and ask them how you could get involved. That would probably be the best route. I know they also do transcript reviews with prospective students so that would be another opportunity to get some face time with admissions and help your chances. Good luck!
Thanks for your help but I'm not asking about volunteering as a prospective student. I am trying to find what volunteering opportunities are available to current medical students at RVU. I'm just looking for general information about this program to determine whether this school will be the right fit for me.

Thanks for your help but I'm not asking about volunteering as a prospective student. I am trying to find what volunteering opportunities are available to current medical students at RVU. I'm just looking for general information about this program to determine whether this school will be the right fit for me.

Oh ok - sorry. Yeah there are TONS of opportunities for volunteering as an RVU student. I have personally been involved with Project Cure, food, fun, and fitness, Parker rotary club, and countless others.

Oh ok - sorry. Yeah there are TONS of opportunities for volunteering as an RVU student. I have personally been involved with Project Cure, food, fun, and fitness, Parker rotary club, and countless others.
Thanks, that really helps

Does anyone have any insight into the early decision program? I checked this option on the supplementary application. My file was marked complete 7/13, and it looks like people who completed around this time have already heard feedback. On the RVU website it says EDP files must be completed by September 20. Does this mean they won't even begin reviewing them until then? It also says that applications not accepted for early decision will be considered with the rest of the applicant pool. I am just concerned that I may have done myself a disservice if my application is not reviewed until later, and then if not accepted for EDP reviewed much later. All that work in getting it in early just for this to set me back!

Thanks for any answers/insight!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any insight into the early decision program? I checked this option on the supplementary application. My file was marked complete 7/13, and it looks like people who completed around this time have already heard feedback. On the RVU website it says EDP files must be completed by September 20. Does this mean they won't even begin reviewing them until then? It also says that applications not accepted for early decision will be considered with the rest of the applicant pool. I am just concerned that I may have done myself a disservice if my application is not reviewed until later, and then if not accepted for EDP reviewed much later. All that work in getting it in early just for this to set me back!

Thanks for any answers/insight!!

It's a bad idea. I did not do early decision and got accepted earlier than the early decision acceptance date. There's no benefit to the EDP at all that I can think of.

My transcript is littered with upper level courses so I am at a loss there as well. Oh well, its just 1 rejection. I got 2 other interviews today from DO schools. This application process is a roller coaster of emotions.

Rejections are part of life in the application process. Sorry.

I tried getting feedback about my recent rejection from here and haven't heard anything back from them (its been a bit over a week).
Oh well though, I received two MD IIs to ease the pain since then.

Once you're in school you'll barely remember the schools that rejected you. But things are looking up for you! Keep moving forward and keep positive!

Those stats are competitive but not as good as you think

It will be very relaxed! Depending on if you have a morning or afternoon slot, you'll have some meetings with the dean, other faculty, etc. where you can ask questions about the school/curriculum/etc., you'll have a tour with an ambassador (second year student) that you'll eat lunch with as well, and you'll have your interview, which will be with two faculty members of the school. Being uptight and coming up with a bunch of fabricated answers is the easiest way to have a bad interview, IMHO. Just be sincere, because our school has a very laid-back atmosphere that lends itself to being real in your interview. If anyone is interviewing 9/15, 11/11, or 12/4, I'll be one of the ambassadors hanging out with you at lunch, just so you know.

Good luck everyone! :)
I am interviewing on 9/15!! I'm looking forward to meeting you! :)

Reactions: 1 users
My little applicant tab is still up so my hope is still alive for an II:clap:

Currently working on the secondary essays for this school- would you guys say it would do more harm than good to write about 800 words for the "why RVU?" question? I'm really attracted to this school for a lot of reasons, therefore I have a lot to say especially given there isn't a word limit! Don't want to overkill though

Currently working on the secondary essays for this school- would you guys say it would do more harm than good to write about 800 words for the "why RVU?" question? I'm really attracted to this school for a lot of reasons, therefore I have a lot to say especially given there isn't a word limit! Don't want to overkill though
I think 800 words isn't unreasonably long.

II just now!!! SOOO excited, this is my first choice school!! Also, I'm local in Denver, if anyone has logistical questions I'm happy to help if I can.

When were you marked complete? Mind sharing your stats?
I'm not sure exactly when I was complete, I submitted the secondary 7/18 but there was a minor issue with one of my LORs, I think that was cleared up last week.
MCAT 29/cGPA 3.54/sGPA 3.52.
Good luck to everyone!!

II!!!! does anyone have any tips for the interview?! :D so excited!!! My top choice!

Reactions: 3 users
Probably writing this a bit prematurely but figured the earlier the better when it comes to valuable information.

No MCAT yet, will be taking it in May 2016 in order to (hopefully) begin medical school in Fall 2017.

Been to three separate Universities due to moving across the country, I now reside in Colorado though.

APPROXIMATE GPA when combining the 3 schools (and with grade replacement) is probably a 3.7 with a sGPA probably around 3.5 (again these are approximations)

ECs are fairly cookie-cutter:
Shadowing an Internist,
Observing 36 surgeries with a Vascular Surgeon,
200 hrs volunteering in the ER, about
5 months volunteer in the Surgical pre-admission testing dept.
Certified English tutor
Former peer mentor (gave tours of school)
Psych club
Bio club
Taught kids to surf at free surf clinic.
Was home-schooled throughout high school and traveled and competed as a pro surfer (obviously before moving to Colorado)
Looking to get into research before applying

Nothing outstanding though; no 1000s of hours doing anything, no setting up clinics in 3rd world countries or donating a kidney to a random dying person like pre-meds claim they do.

I want RVU mainly because of its location, moving across the country I realized how hard it is to leave family friends etc. Now my whole family is here in Colorado so I don't want to leave them for a school in the other side of the country. We are also not super well of financially and if I attend RVU I could live at home.

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions would be very appreciated!!!!

Make sure you go to the interview feedback area. It will have questions you may be asked. The interview is usually pretty casual.

Oh, there is a dress code thing going on now...

And by casual I mean relaxed, not that you should show up in jeans

Last edited:
If we want to visit the school, do we just show up? Should we make an appointment? It doesn't seem like RVUCOM is having an open house anytime soon

If we want to visit the school, do we just show up? Should we make an appointment? It doesn't seem like RVUCOM is having an open house anytime soon
Call the admissions department and I'm sure they will be happy to set something up!

Check the web site for T & T (tour and transcript review) dates. Also an open house will be held on November 19th.

Anyone know how long they review your file once the portal online says "FILEC. File Complete"?

Anyone else fee rather put off by the clunky, antiquated seeming applicant portal? Perhaps it is an anomaly in an otherwise stellar program, but for now it's the only exposure I've had, and it's not made for a great first impression..

The Office of Admissions is working on completing candidate files at this time. All files that are complete (contain AACOMAS application, supplemental application and all required letters of recommendation) by August 14 will be reviewed to award interviews starting the week of August 17th and will continue on a rolling basis. You can check your status on the myVista portal. Good luck everyone!

Hi Office of Admissions, can you possibly give us an update for those of us complete by Aug. 14th?

Hi Office of Admissions, can you possibly give us an update for those of us complete by Aug. 14th?

Yes tdc. The admissions office began their review of files on August 17th and will continue reviewing files on a rolling basis. There are hundreds of files to read, so please be patient.

Hey guys! I'm so excited to report I received an II to here a few days ago! I will be interviewing in just over a week, on 9/10. Is anyone else interviewing this day? I have an afternoon interview and would love to meet other prospective students!

Rejected and my stats were way higher than averages. Already had interviews at top DO schools so oh well. You win and you lose some

No just don't understand how each school screens out

Each school has different qualities they look for (some like a lot of volunteering, others may want experience in rural areas, etc.). Many DO schools are not as stats driven as MD schools.

Can anyone comment on how long it took between File Complete status and any news on II (either disappearing tab/rejection or invite?) Thanks--good luck everyone!

Just cancelled my II. Hope it goes to one of you guys.

Rejected yesterday; look at my mdapps for stats and things
Saw it going either way with this school

Has anyone else had trouble submitting payment? I've tried safari and chrome to no avail. I called the admissions office and they were pretty unhelpful.