Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Completed 8/30; rejected post secondary.
Pretty sad, I heard a lot of great things about this school and it's community from rotating students (even those from other schools! azcom/touro/western) and am really jealous of the people who got accepted/II's! But my stats weren't the best so it's not too big a surprise.

To the people who submitted earlier than me and haven't heard anything yet, I think it's a better sign than getting rejected, so keep your heads up and be optimistic! :)

3.3/3.2s balanced 30; 2k research, 300 clinical (200 was from 4 years ago though), 200 shadowing DO, 100 community.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else not heard anything back from RVU? I interviewed on 9/10 and haven't heard anything since then.

Minimum of 3.0 science and cumulative GPA, MCAT scores within past 3 years with no individual section score below a 6 or cumulative score of at least 500 for the new exam.

What about section scores for the new MCAT? Should we assume 123? I'm 505 w/ Subsections : 130/122/127/126

Members don't see this ad :)
What about section scores for the new MCAT? Should we assume 123? I'm 505 w/ Subsections : 130/122/127/126
Only the minimum cumulative score of 500 is required this year to receive a supplemental application. Minimum scores for the sections may be added next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't apply here but want to say that after reviewing programs and schools I am very impressed with this school. These guys shot up into premier DO ranks in a few years. People questioned it when it started, but they all sound silly now

This is quite a delayed response, but work has been extra busy!

I am honored to have received an acceptance! :clap:I had a truly wonderful trip to Colorado, and a surreal experience at RVUCOM. I still feel overwhelmed by the friendly, positive students I met and interacted with. They made me feel right at home. I submitted my matriculation agreement earlier this week, and I will start planning another trip back to Colorado. You guys can't imagine how elated I am. A big congrats to everyone who received acceptances!

And a big shout-out to Haxx, who has been all kinds of helpful! Thanks for being such a great resource for applicants and incoming students. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

I am honored to have received an acceptance! :clap:I had a truly wonderful trip to Colorado, and a surreal experience at RVUCOM. I still feel overwhelmed by the friendly, positive students I met and interacted with. They made me feel right at home. I submitted my matriculation agreement earlier this week, and I will start planning another trip back to Colorado. You guys can't imagine how elated I am. A big congrats to everyone who received acceptances!

And a big shout-out to Haxx, who has been all kinds of helpful! Thanks for being such a great resource for applicants and incoming students. :D

You were given a matriculation agreement? I have yet to receive one in email, although I've also been accepted. Did yours pop up in the portal, or did they email it to you?

I'm interviewing here soon. Can anyone provide any insight from their experience interviewing at RVU?

I'm interviewing here soon. Can anyone provide any insight from their experience interviewing at RVU?

The interview was pretty low stress. Very conversational. Just make sure you are comfortable talking about your application and be ready to say why RVUCOM and/or DO. Also, make sure you try those brownies offered at lunch, they are amazing ! As far as I know if they you have an interview you have around 70% chance to get in. So just be your self and have fun !

No problem @tdc, congrats! :)

The interview was pretty low stress. Very conversational. Just make sure you are comfortable talking about your application and be ready to say why RVUCOM and/or DO. Also, make sure you try those brownies offered at lunch, they are amazing ! As far as I know if they you have an interview you have around 70% chance to get in. So just be your self and have fun !
Great thanks! How many people do you interview with? Professors, dean?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick tip for future interviewees. I stayed at the Radisson hotel and it was very pleasant. They will shuttle you to the airport and to the school (both ways), which helped a lot as I did not have a car rental. However, when I called to make a reservation, they told me that all the rooms for RVU were already booked. The next option was quite pricey ($140/night for a room /w 2 queen beds). I asked for the manager (Marlene) and after explaining the situation, I politely asked if she would match the RVU rate ($85/night) for that room. She said Yes! So if you find yourself in my predicament, just remember to be kind to everyone and it will work out! Last but not least, have fun on your trip to Colorado!! :)

You were given a matriculation agreement? I have yet to receive one in email, although I've also been accepted. Did yours pop up in the portal, or did they email it to you?

I was sent the agreement earlier in the week. I think they are taking a bit of time to reach everyone.

Last edited:
My file has been complete since late August but my application status has yet to change. What's the typical timetable been for those who have heard back? I'm getting pretty antsy here!

My file has been complete since late August but my application status has yet to change. What's the typical timetable been for those who have heard back? I'm getting pretty antsy here!

+1

I'm just grateful for every day that my applicant tab hasn't disappeared...

Reactions: 1 users
My file has been complete since 8/10 and I am in the same position! I guess no news is good news at this point!

I think the matriculation agreements were sent out last Wednesday or so, but I still haven't received mine yet. I just don't want to miss that 2 week deadline >.<

Last edited:
Rejected pre-interview today. Oh well, looks like a great school, but I know I don't quite fit their ideal applicant profile. One less school to obsess over, right? :p

Best of luck to all of you!

Rejected pre-interview today. Oh well, looks like a great school, but I know I don't quite fit their ideal applicant profile. One less school to obsess over, right? :p

Best of luck to all of you!

When were you complete?

Does anyone know any details about the ultrasound program? Dr. Told said it was something they were starting for all students? Just curious. Also how Good are the rotations in the Denver and can most people stay in Denver if they prefer? Maybe @Haxx?

Does anyone know any details about the ultrasound program? Dr. Told said it was something they were starting for all students? Just curious. Also how Good are the rotations in the Denver and can most people stay in Denver if they prefer? Maybe @Haxx?
The ultrasound program is a lab we have about once a month in order to learn the nuts and bolts before we go out into the real world.

From what I've heard, rotations in Denver are great and for any of the sites, I think something like 90% of students get their first choice!

The ultrasound program is a lab we have about once a month in order to learn the nuts and bolts before we go out into the real world.

From what I've heard, rotations in Denver are great and for any of the sites, I think something like 90% of students get their first choice!
Awesome thank you!

How are my chances here? I decided to apply to this school a bit late. I'm gonna submit my secondary either today or tomorrow. Stats are 3.7 cGPA 3.6 sGPA and 508 MCAT

Rejected pre-interview via portal today :/. Good luck to everyone else!

Can current students share recommendations for apartments nearby the school or within the surrounding neighborhoods (Aurora, Centennial, etc)? I called a few places on the housing list supplied by RVU, but I am hoping for some recommendations based on personal experience. A place close to groceries and a trail would be awesome! Also, if any current students know of a faculty member or friend who rents out their home/townhouse/apartment, please let me know! I'm looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom and I would like to move in June or July 2016!

Thank you!! :happy:

rejected pre interview, complete by early sept
good luck to all!

How are my chances here? I decided to apply to this school a bit late. I'm gonna submit my secondary either today or tomorrow. Stats are 3.7 cGPA 3.6 sGPA and 508 MCAT
You're MCAT is above average for last year's class, GPA is good.....obviously can't really say without knowing ECs, letters, etc but I would say worth a shot for sure!! You're stats are better than mine and they took me... :)

Completed 8/10. Applicant tab is still there on the portal so hopes are still high!

Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone get an email today requesting another secondary application? I am sure it is a mistake.

Did anyone get an email today requesting another secondary application? I am sure it is a mistake.

I called them about it. It was a mistake. I'm hoping they meant to click the "Send Interview Invite" button, but they clicked the "Send Secondary" button.

rejected pre interview, complete by early sept
good luck to all!

Sorry to hear that. Did it show up on portal? Mine says FILE COMPLETE and i have been done since early September as well.

You're MCAT is above average for last year's class, GPA is good.....obviously can't really say without knowing ECs, letters, etc but I would say worth a shot for sure!! You're stats are better than mine and they took me... :)

Thanks! I'm really hoping for a chance here. Submitted on October 8th so hoping for the best.

Trying to gain a little perspective here. I've been complete since 8/10 as well and my application is still marked as file complete. I've seen several people that were complete after that date post about being rejected. What should we make of this at this point?

Trying to gain a little perspective here. I've been complete since 8/10 as well and my application is still marked as file complete. I've seen several people that were complete after that date post about being rejected. What should we make of this at this point?
I am in the exact same position as you

I am in the exact same position as you

Same here

Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send them an email at this point? This is without a doubt my first choice and I have a few notable additions to my resume since submitting my secondary application. Thoughts?

Do you guys think it would be appropriate to send them an email at this point? This is without a doubt my first choice and I have a few notable additions to my resume since submitting my secondary application. Thoughts?

Yes you can send email updates. They just tell me that they will print off the page with the email and add it to my file for review.

Yes you can send email updates. They just tell me that they will print off the page with the email and add it to my file for review.
Awesome thanks for the help. What email address are you sending to? Just the regular admissions address?

Awesome thanks for the help. What email address are you sending to? Just the regular admissions address?

That was based off my communication from last year. I was emailing Katy Hunsburger directly. However, this year it would probably be just the [email protected]

Good luck to you! Everybody wants to go to this school!

That was based off my communication from last year. I was emailing Katy Hunsburger directly. However, this year it would probably be just the [email protected]

Good luck to you! Everybody wants to go to this school!
Yeah tell me about it. I appreciate the well wishes though! Do you have any thoughts on writing them a letter of intent? I feel it may be viewed as desperate if I send it pre-interview but wanted to get others thoughts on the idea.

Yeah tell me about it. I appreciate the well wishes though! Do you have any thoughts on writing them a letter of intent? I feel it may be viewed as desperate if I send it pre-interview but wanted to get others thoughts on the idea.

Ahh man I feel like update letters pre-interview might not be a great idea UNLESS they were significant. Like GPA, MCAT, or a huge EC or publication. But I only feel that way because I know how slammed all admissions are right now. Maybe someone else could give some insight.

mine said file complete in the initial weeks and then my admissions tab disappeared
Sorry to hear that. Did it show up on portal? Mine says FILE COMPLETE and i have been done since early September as well.

Interviewed 10/15. Hoping for an acceptance!