Role Models

Heiwa143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an American minority and the recent rape allegations against Bill Cosby what other role models can anybody recommend? I'm sorry if this thread may be disrespectful or violate any forum rules that was not my intention.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking for a minority role model in the medical field, check out this movie on Ben Carson:

But in general, try and find people in your real life to look up to as they can give you more direction and inspiration every day, and might actually want to serve this role for you vs. celebrities who couldn't care less...

Reactions: 2 users
If you're looking for a minority role model in the medical field, check out this movie on Ben Carson:

But in general, try and find people in your real life to look up to as they can give you more direction and inspiration every day, and might actually want to serve this role for you vs. celebrities who couldn't care less...

I second Ben Carson. He has a few books out, all of which I highly recommend. Two are political which might not be your thing but I found them very interesting. His autobiography "Gifted Hands" is excellent though. I personally admire him.

Although I do agree that you should find someone in real life to be your mentor or role model.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sanjay Gupta and Atul Gawande are also amazing journalists, check out their work.

Reactions: 1 user
Although it is somewhat of a canned answer, I would also highly encourage you to seek out role models in real life. This person can be a teacher, person from your church, relative, etc.

Don't limit your role models to minorities. And I'm not saying that with the intention of offending, but people of all ethnic backgrounds do amazing things.

Ben Carson would be great if you're considering neurosurgery, Dr. Lown would be great if you're considering cardiology...the list could go on, but the common denominators would be innovators of their field, great moral compass, enormous achievement, but not skin color.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the response. The reason why I kind of preferred a minority role model is because in my neighborhood during early childhood we never had doctors or lawyers. We never had someone who had a rags to riches story, or one who said that it's okay to be smart and not athletic. If we did they certainly weren't an ethnic minority. I hope that I'm not coming off as racist, Bill Cosby was one of the only famous blacks I could identify with. I have plenty of role models who are women and come from races including Caucasians. What he also did was tell it how was now all I see when I look at him is a cloud of hypocrisy.

Thank you for the response. The reason why I kind of preferred a minority role model is because in my neighborhood during early childhood we never had doctors or lawyers. We never had someone who had a rags to riches story, or one who said that it's okay to be smart and not athletic. If we did they certainly weren't an ethnic minority. I hope that I'm not coming off as racist, Bill Cosby was one of the only famous blacks I could identify with. I have plenty of role models who are women and come from races including Caucasians. What he also did was tell it how was now all I see when I look at him is a cloud of hypocrisy.

Then I definitely recommend Ben Carson.

Rags to riches should not be the goal.

From cultural oppression (both extrinsic and intrinsic in nature) to becoming sought after because you possess something no one can buy should be the goal.

If you can't find a story from which to glean inspiration, become that story and write it.

Reactions: 1 users
I second Ben Carson. He has a few books out, all of which I highly recommend. Two are political which might not be your thing but I found them very interesting. His autobiography "Gifted Hands" is excellent though. I personally admire him.

Although I do agree that you should find someone in real life to be your mentor or role model.

I was going to say Ben Carson, but then I saw others have already recommend him. Ben Carson for the win!!!

Reactions: 1 user