Role of Hypokalemia in Hepatic Encephalopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondemed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My attending asked about hypokalemia in encephalopathy today during rounds. I know that it favors cellular uptake of ammonia and increases renal production of ammonia - does anyone know of the specific renal mechanism in which hypokalemia upregulates renal ammoniagenesis? I can't seem to find any relevant literature on it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Titratable acid excretion is an advanced renal phys topic...and this "pimp question" itself is pretty esoteric.

Potassium balance is best understood in relation to the collecting tubule. This is where the last 5% of K+ is handled and is most important in terms of Hyper/Hypokalemia. (Think of Hypokalemia in Hyperaldosteronism, the excess aldosterone acts solely at the level of the collecting tubule and is responsible for the low serum K+ levels). Further, distal Potassium handling is best understood in terms of distal H+ secretion, and therefore in terms of titratable acid excretion.

Nevertheless, there are 3 titratable, excreted acids and are best remembered in their base form [BECAUSE THIS IS HOW THEY ARE ACTIVELY TRANSPORTED ACROSS THE CELL MEMBRANE]:
1) Carbonic acid (remember as HCO3)
2) Ammonium (remember as NH3)
3) Phosphoric acid (remember as PO4)

Obviously, HCO3 titration is a proximal phenomenon. I will ignore the handling of HCO3 in the PCT as it is not pertinent in this situation since 2/3 of all K+ is reabsorbed here and is static regardless of physiologic plasma K+ levels. Furthermore, PO4 plays a much more minor role in urinary acidification and acid base titration and can, for the most part, be ignored when thinking of renal H+ excretion.

Remember in the collecting tubule, the Intercalated Cell has a K+/H+ exchanger in its lumenal membrane. This pump is prinicpally acitivated by:

increased intracellular [H+] --> avid K+ reabsorption into the tubular cell, increased H+ secretion into the lumen (and thus urinary excretion)

(it is essential that you're able to distiguish lumenal vs.intracellular in order to understand renal solute handling)

Both Aldosterone and Hypokalemia result in ammoniagenesis, the mechanism is not completely elucidated. But, if you ascribe to Guyton's dogma, then you accept most titratable acid excretion occurs within the collecting tubule under the direction of the intercalated cell. This is a gross oversimplification, but it(urinary proton excretion) is easy to understand in this manner and will stand up to arguement.

If pimped, this would be my response: "Both Hypokalemia and Hyperaldosteronism are known to increase renal ammonia production in humans and animals, however the etiology is unclear{FACT}. A possible explanation would be that by decreasing lumenal K+ there is less H+ exchange out of the tubular cell...therefore, intracellular <thus plasma> pH decreases{ASSUMPTION}. Ammonia is produced to counteract the resultant "metabolic acidosis" via ammoniagenesis."

If you're unimpressed with my arguement, here is some further reading.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dp...X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPA209,M1

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v40/n4/pdf/ki1991274a.pdf

Last edited:
Oddly this double posted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool! :cool:
Another reason why spironolactone is a good diuretic for patients with liver cirrhosis, isn't it?

1.in hypokalemic alkalosis there will be systemic alkalosis that causes an increase in the amount of nonionic ammonia (NH3) relative to ammonium ions NH4+). Only nonionic (uncharged) ammonia readily crosses the blood-brain barrier and accumulates in the CNS. 2.Hypokalemia also directly stimulates renal ammonia production..
3. Potassium competes with NH4+ for absorption by the NKCC2 transporter at the thick ascending limb of loop of henle so in case of decrease potassium, nh4 only gets absorbed.,