Role of Social Media in Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you currently use social media as an adjunct educational tool?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

kirby28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, long time member, first time poster since deciding on applying to ophthalmology in the upcoming match.

I'm currently doing an away ophtho clinical and research rotation. This is my first dedicated experience with ophtho and in the past month, I've became interested in social media as a venue for medical education, particularly in ophthalmology.

As many of you know, or find out once you get dedicated experience in ophthalmology (like me), ophtho as a field relies heavily on visual recognition. There currently many photo galleries such as eyewiki, eyerounds, and DJO which are great resources when actively trying to look up information, but I think passively learning can also be effective in adjunct to this.

The way I'm using it now is through facebook, instagram, and twitter (I know I sound like a teenager), and just casually glancing at interesting eyeball pictures along with their descriptions when I'm checking my new feeds. If something really strikes me, then I might look it up, maybe...;) But I think over the long term, the images that were really impressive will stick somewhere in the mess that is my brain.

I would really encourage everyone to at least check it out, regardless of the field.

For those who are interested, ones that I enjoy for ophthalmology are OftalmologiaBrasil (gen ophtho, great variety), Cornea_academy (current fav since they take daily clinical pics with short descriptions), EyeTubeNet (a lot of tweets with links to ophtho related information), and then of course AAO and JAMAophthalmology.

I know there are a lot of physicians and medical students that are already on board. So what are your thoughts of social media as a educational tool? And if you're using it regularly, what is your method of using it? Thanks in advance for the feedback and good luck to those applying for the upcoming cycle!

Members don't see this ad.