Role of T and B memory cells?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any T and B memory cells typically eliminate antigens on their own, or if they just recruit other cells to eliminate antigens?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if any T and B memory cells typically eliminate antigens on their own, or if they just recruit other cells to eliminate antigens?

T-Helper cells do not, T-cytotoxic and T-Natural killer cells can eliminate antigens on their own. As far as I remember B-cells only regulate immune response and recruit.

B Cells have a specific immune response, in having a receptor that will bind to the antigen. B cells are to make the antibodies that go against the antigen in the role of APC. After the activation, they can form into memory B cells. Remembering that B cells have cytokine in which in return that is used for signaling the immune response.

Pretty much what @EParker37 said, but I'm studying now, so I just wanted to type it out for my purposes as well.

Thanks, but I was asking about memory cells.

I should probably clarify, that by my understanding, memory cells release antibodies like plasma cells do, and possibly release chemicals as well. Does anyone know if they do anything else?

And, what are the differences between a B memory cell and a T memory cell?

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest difference is that memory B cells, like B cells in general, secrete antibodies. Memory T cells, on the other hand, mainly release cytokines, interleukins, and other factors that "alert" other cells of the immune system to the invader.

It's hard to find a lot of information on memory cells, because in many ways, their actions aren't different from regular plasma cells. The difference is that plasma cells die off quickly following an infection, while memory cells can persist for years or decades. As far as the immune response goes, this is incredibly important. Consider the first time your body is ever exposed to some antigen. At that point, none of your cells are specific for that antigen (they're known as "naive cells" at that point). Naive B cells, for example, can't secrete any antibodies because they have never identified their specific antigen. After your primary exposure to this antigen, some B and T cells become antigen-specific. Though this first response can take a long time (I've heard two weeks, though not sure about that), you're left with a few of these antigen-specific cells that never die off. After each subsequent exposure, you'll have more and more memory cells that are specific for this antigen, and the time of immune system response will be cut down to hours.

Here's a few articles I found - pretty dense but could be fun if you're interested. Plus, dense reading is always good verbal practice!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2679806/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK26884/

Reactions: 2 users
One thing that I cannot grasp is in another scenario. When a pregnant woman with Rh negative have a Rh positive baby, it's different for the first baby and 2nd baby. For the first baby, the woman's antibodies won't affect. On the 2nd baby, it'd take affect. Then they need to take Rhogram. From what you're saying here is the body produce antibodies to respone really fast. Why is this case any different??

2 assumptions I make :
1/ blood antibodies and forgein antibodies are different.
2/ the effective dosage antibodies are different.
If anybody can explain to me, I'd be appreciated