Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Roller coaster ride

Discussion in 'Osteopathic' started by GenusTide, 07.22.12.

1. GenusTide

GenusTide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Well ladies and gentlemen, I feel as though I am on the first peak of a fun and scary ride know as medschool :eek:. I no longer feel the clicks of the track lifting me up to the top and I am peaking over the other side with my stomach in knots not knowing what it is going to be like and the fear of the unknown. While I have dedicated many years now and given up a former career, I certainly feel the excitement of my dreams and dedication have laid in front of me. I understand that this journey will have its many ups and downs but I look forward to hi-fiving on the ups while learning from the downs. For all of you out there in the same boat as me in the sea of the class of 2016, I congratulate you on all the hard work it took to get here. I raise my glass and toast to you and wish you all the best in your future studies and career paths!
  2. costales

costales

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Take it one exam at a time, get enough sleep, watch your beer intake, don't ever, ever procrastinate, and you'll amaze yourself.
  3. DrMaximus

DrMaximus OMS-III

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ditto, my friend. We'll blow med school wide open! :D

And thanks for the advice! I'm sure we'll need a ton of that to get us through. :thumbup:
  4. Mbeas

Mbeas Hi I'm Kate

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yep, two more days until I move into my new apartment and a few more weeks until classes start. Crazy stuff. But no worries, we'll dominate. Just stay focused and enjoy the ride!
  5. Cinclus

Cinclus =^..^= Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm starting tomorrow! I can't believe it! :eek:
  6. Mbeas

Mbeas Hi I'm Kate

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Really? Its so early though. Are you starting fresh with some 8am Anatomy?
  7. DrMaximus

DrMaximus OMS-III

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm only a day behind you, bro!! :D

Orientation on Tuesday with intro to anatomy on Friday. :scared:
  8. Cinclus

Cinclus =^..^= Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Nah, we're starting fresh with a retreat to this place: https://www.artesianlakes.com/default.aspx :D

Classes don't start until next Monday. This is orientation week.
  9. Mbeas

Mbeas Hi I'm Kate

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  10. GenusTide

GenusTide

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank's for the advice! Don't worry, I have already amazed myself in just getting to this point :D!!

Wow, I thought we were starting early with the the start of orientation this Friday. Good luck :thumbup:
  11. TeamZissou

TeamZissou PGY1

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In the beginning instead of making thousands of flashcards and studying like you did in undergrad instead focus on learning how to learn efficiently.

Know that feeling your brain gets when you've been studying hardcore and it turns to mush from the effort you're putting forward to associate what you're learning with what you already know? Well this is the type of learning you have to do in med school all the time. You may start out only being able to really get yourself in the zone for a couple hours at a time, but by the time you take Step I staying in the zone for 8 hrs won't be a problem.

There is far to much info in med school to make flashcards and study guides for everything. Instead only use those tools to help you polish off details you may be struggling with.

In short, it will be very painful initially to make yourself learn the right way but it will pay off in the end. Just like bodybuilders working their muscles you're working your brain, make sure you have good form in the beginning.
  12. thepoopologist

thepoopologist Ph.D in Clinical Meconium

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal