Roommates in Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the best living arrangement while in med school?(Assuming you're single)

• Living on your own (finally! no roommates!)

Votes: 166 42.7%
  • Sharing a house/apt with a med school classmate (super fun late night study sessions anyone?)

Votes: 163 41.9%
  • Sharing a house/apt with a random, non med friend (a nice escape from med school when possible..)

Votes: 60 15.4%

• Total voters

WildcatS11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think... if current med students vote in the poll, could u explain why u voted the way u did? (especially between living w/ med roommate and living w/ random roommate)

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering what you guys think... if current med students vote in the poll, could u explain why u voted the way u did? (especially between living w/ med roommate and living w/ random roommate)

Add a living in dorm option, because I am (its a single).

I live myself because: 1. I'm used to it 2. didn't want to go with a random roommate I don't know well. 3. Like my home to be zen-like, roommates bring the risk of drama.

If I did go with a roommate I would not go with one of my classmates. While I do like my classmates, when med students get together the conversation often wanders to medical stuff and I get enough of that at school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thought of living alone scares me :eek:

i pick having a roommate anyday. But not really sure if i would want them to also be a med student.

I'm not sure yet. Depends on a lot of things, I'm either living with some random person, A non-med person, A medical school person, Or both the medical school person and the non-med person.

:laugh:

I live myself because: 1. I'm used to it 2. didn't want to go with a random roommate I don't know well. 3. Like my home to be zen-like, roommates bring the risk of drama.

If I did go with a roommate I would not go with one of my classmates. While I do like my classmates, when med students get together the conversation often wanders to medical stuff and I get enough of that at school.

While I wouldn't choose these EXACT words, I pretty much completely agree. My world is crazy/busy/hectic enough; I don't need to go home to a crazy house. Also, nothing better than having a day of exams and going home to enjoy a cup of tea watching TV or reading a novel or playing COD MW2.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I've lived alone before and it was...lonely. I have a roommate now and it's nice to have someone to complain to. Don't worry, she complains to me too.

I'm living by myself and love it so far. I can blast whatever music I want, make my own messes, walk around in only my underwear, etc. I also work on a different schedule than the rest of my class since I don't go to class and study on my own. The only negative that I've seen so far is it gets lonely sometimes. I think living alone works best if you're one of those introverted types.

I'm living by myself and love it so far. I can blast whatever music I want, make my own messes, walk around in only my underwear, etc. I also work on a different schedule than the rest of my class since I don't go to class and study on my own. The only negative that I've seen so far is it gets lonely sometimes. I think living alone works best if you're one of those introverted types.

I've heard this from multiple people as a reason to live alone. How common is this? A poll definitely needs to be made. Now how to make it premed-related...

Lonliness often defeats me. It's nice at times just to have human-human interaction.

I've heard this from multiple people as a reason to live alone. How common is this? A poll definitely needs to be made. Now how to make it premed-related...

"Would Walking Around in Underwear Improve My Chances?"

There's one idea. :D

:laugh:

Many times i've needed my roomie to wake me up for labs/exams/class etc, so thats one plus to having one. And yea, if your car breaks down, need a buddy to go to a party with, or random stuff like that, a roomie comes in handy.

I do miss not being woken up when he is loud, or not being alone when you wanna.

Members don't see this ad :)

am i the only one who has roommates and still walks around in my underwear? you guys are prudes :p

Lonliness often defeats me. It's nice at times just to have human-human interaction.

agreed. i will never live alone.

I don't think I would wanna have roommates in med school. I had roommates in college and the whole apartment was always trashed. You can't really control other people's behavior (loud music, dirty dishes, loud guests etc). Med school is a lot of stress and I wanna come back to a peaceful clean home.

Having a cat or dog is a good way to overcome loneliness. Or better yet, get a boyfriend/girlfriend :thumbup:.

Med school is a stressful time. Dealing with roommate drama at the same time is not fun. I'm living with a roommate right now for purely financial reasons and I'm moving out the first chance I get. It sucks.

I want quiet when I want quiet and I want my apartment to be clean. Neither of which happens currently.

If you need to be around people, study at school.

I live with a classmate.

I couldn't do living alone - it's just too much for me. I like living with another med student because he's a great resource (i.e. if I've forgotten where I need to be at a specific time, or when something is, or clarification on material). I've woken him up for exams/classes, so that's good for him. We have an apartment where our rooms are on opposite ends of the living room which is great, because it can feel like living alone sometimes (i.e. I generally can't hear him when he's in his room and I'm in mine).
We found each other on facebook, which can be a risk, but it's turning out fine for us. We happen to be pretty similar.

Oh, and no, I don't walk around in my underwear, but that's more because of the gender difference (I'm female with a male roommate), not just because I have a roommate :)

Med school is a stressful time. Dealing with roommate drama at the same time is not fun. I'm living with a roommate right now for purely financial reasons and I'm moving out the first chance I get. It sucks.

I want quiet when I want quiet and I want my apartment to be clean. Neither of which happens currently.

If you need to be around people, study at school.

I thought that you were married and living with your husband??

Personally, I live with three other third year med students - all guys. We live in university owned housing that is actually pretty nice. I have lived with these guys since the beginning of my second year. We hand picked each other after becoming good friends during our first year of med school, It has worked out fine. Everyone has their own bedroom. It is quiet because we are all so busy.

Something I have considered is the fact that medical school is smaller in number of attending students than pretty much every undergraduate institution. Since I'll be seeing the same people every day anyway in lectures/labs/activities, I don't know if I can handle also coming home to them! And this goes double for the neurotic, type-A students.

Still, living alone sounds too lonely for me sometimes. But I doubt I'll have to worry about that with the sheer amount of studying required in medical school! But it'll probably turn me into some sort of hermit without roommates to keep me sane. Ahhhh, the decisions. Guess it'll end up being a financial decision anyway, if I ever have that luxury.

What about: "Would you walk around in your underwear in public for an acceptance?"

Never mind...that's too easy.

Oh, and no, I don't walk around in my underwear, but that's more because of the gender difference (I'm female with a male roommate), not just because I have a roommate :)

You should pick up the habit.

I need to have a roommate, I would get way to lonely....

And I want a med student. My college roommates were all non-premed and they partied too much as their school work was way easier. So I need someone who has it more "together". Not that I don't mind a bit of fun :D

I will be living alone with my dog!!

I like complete control over my house and being able to walk around in my birthday suit!! ;)

Do you worry about your dog's well-being when you hit 3rd year? I do sometimes, but if all else fails she can live with my mom for a while.

I am not single, but if I was I would definitely live alone. For all the aforementioned reasons . . . coming home to a quiet space, being able to walk around in whatever you want, etc. But also because I don't want to inflict my living situation on anyone else- I am kind of a slob, I have a dog and I like to be alone a lot. No one in their right mind would want to live with me :) And my dog is cute, but she does poo on the floor occasionally. I don't want to have to deal with dog poo guilt.

i'm gonna be living with my boyfriend (he's non-med). i plan to do most of my studying on campus and keep home time JUST for relaxing. i wouldn't want to live with another student who is freaking out all the time about tests or studying at home and making me feel like i should be studying lol

i'm gonna be living with my boyfriend (he's non-med). i plan to do most of my studying on campus and keep home time JUST for relaxing. i wouldn't want to live with another student who is freaking out all the time about tests or studying at home and making me feel like i should be studying lol

this is my plan too. are you guys moving together to wherever you decide to go, or have you gotten into a school where you already live?

so far i have only gotten into school in Milwaukee (we live in chicago) but I have had two interviews in chicago so far too. if i could stay it would be great because we wouldn't have to deal with either trying the long distance thing, or him having to find a new job. plus i just really loved Rush so i hope they accept me :)

If you're worried about living with other med students, but don't want to live alone and want roommates who are serious students, think about veterinary or law students as roommates. They'll be more mature, around your age and will have to study, unlike undergrads or grad students in easier fields. I know lots of people who live with vet students, and they seem to really enjoy it.

this is my plan too. are you guys moving together to wherever you decide to go, or have you gotten into a school where you already live?

so far i have only gotten into school in Milwaukee (we live in chicago) but I have had two interviews in chicago so far too. if i could stay it would be great because we wouldn't have to deal with either trying the long distance thing, or him having to find a new job. plus i just really loved Rush so i hope they accept me :)

he's coming with me wherever i get in :) and actually there is no medical school where we currently live so we're moving no matter what. bummer because i hate moving but we don't really like where we're living now so at least we'll end up somewhere new. once we know for sure where we're going, he's gonna look at jobs and/or school in the area.

If you're worried about living with other med students, but don't want to live alone and want roommates who are serious students, think about veterinary or law students as roommates. They'll be more mature, around your age and will have to study, unlike undergrads or grad students in easier fields. I know lots of people who live with vet students, and they seem to really enjoy it.

That's an awesome idea; I never thought of that. I hope I can get a sublet.

I live on my own, and wouldn't have it any other way. I like playing the music I want, the TV at the volume I like (especially when sports are on), and not having to worry about much around the house when exam weeks roll around. Plus, if I ever want to chat w/ someone, I can always walk over to the school in ~10 minutes, and there's always someone around in the student common areas.

I live with two guys in my class, and life is good. I wouldn't suggest running the risk of living with someone not in med school or a similarly demanding professional program unless you know the person really, really well.

I don't think I would wanna have roommates in med school. I had roommates in college and the whole apartment was always trashed. You can't really control other people's behavior (loud music, dirty dishes, loud guests etc). Med school is a lot of stress and I wanna come back to a peaceful clean home.

Having a cat or dog is a good way to overcome loneliness. Or better yet, get a boyfriend/girlfriend :thumbup:.

If you guys live together, make sure he/she's not a med student. Cos when you break up, its gonna suckkkkkkkk. Well either way, its gonna suck cos of moving out drama et al

I'm thinking of living alone. I have bad luck with roommates and it seems every other one i have is a complete psycho. Since i have a great roommate right now, the next one is bound to be bat **** crazy.

I'll probably live alone (and have a large dog) until i move in with my bf a couple years down the road.

Maybe it's an only child thing, but I love living alone. I like and need my own space. Also, I'm a neat freak and have had horridly messy, dirty roomies in the past. I just can't do it again... Plus, I hate having a "visitor" over and people getting all nosey. Bleh.

But, if I did decide on a roomie, I'd probably go for a law or dent student. I don't know about those vet people...they're a little "off" to me...

I live with a law student right now, and I think it's just about the best deal I could have asked for. I have class during the morning and afternoon, and she has class at night so we each have the place to ourselves quite often. More than that, we both understand when the other person needs it to be quiet, and we can vent to each other about school without causing any drama.

Plus, try having a beer or two and then talking about classic malpractice suits...it's far more fun than it sounds...

I thought that you were married and living with your husband??

Personally, I live with three other third year med students - all guys. We live in university owned housing that is actually pretty nice. I have lived with these guys since the beginning of my second year. We hand picked each other after becoming good friends during our first year of med school, It has worked out fine. Everyone has their own bedroom. It is quiet because we are all so busy.

I am married, but he's doing a graduate program out of state unfortunately.

Ideally, I would like to live alone...And have my next-door neighbor be another med student that lives alone. That way, we have eachother's company when we want it, and we can be alone when we need alone time. But of course, that's just my little day dream, I'm sure things probably won't work out so ideally. :rolleyes:

I'm going to live alone. I won't have to worry about being a nice-guy in my own apartment.

I live alone. I've found that I'm a bad roomate. I like my space too much. Plus, this allows me to have my dog...and I love my dog. :)

Living alone sounds great (and is great in a lot of ways), but it can get suffocatingly lonely, even if you're the introverted type.

I'd want a roommate who was introverted and considerate yet could have a fun time when duty calls.

Ideally though, I'd live at my own place but have lots of friends and fellow med school students living near me, and maybe a little kitty to help me during those long, lonely study nights. :oops:

Living alone sounds great (and is great in a lot of ways), but it can get suffocatingly lonely, even if you're the introverted type.

I'd want a roommate who was introverted and considerate yet could have a fun time when duty calls.

Ideally though, I'd live at my own place but have lots of friends and fellow med school students living near me, and maybe a little kitty to help me during those long, lonely study nights. :oops:

I wouldn't mind having some "kitty" in between study sessions, either. /lame, bad, awful, obvious pun. (don't blacklist me adcomms!)

I think I will try to live alone. Depends on loan amounts, COL, if I meet anyone cool before moving out there, etc. Any of those factors could make a room mate a better choice or a necessity.

I have a question:

Can you have a room to yourself in medical school? Do you have to share a room with others if you aren't living on your own?

I have never lived alone and cannot imagine ever living alone! I also could not afford it
For those med students who had roomies first year in med school, how/where did you find them?

Last edited:
I have a question:

Can you have a room to yourself in medical school? Do you have to share a room with others if you aren't living on your own?

If I get into the school I want, I'll be moving into a 3 bedroom condo. I can rent out the other two rooms and still have plenty of space to myself. You certainly can share a room with someone (some people at various med schools do this to cut costs), but I can't imagine actually doing it. I've had my own room forever, except my first year in college.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a non-med student, as long as the person is still a professional student. And introverted. I get too lonely when I'm at home by myself, but I'm too introverted to really go all out when it comes to roommates. I like my time, I just also like knowing that my roommates are close by. And the last two years I shared an apartment, my roommates had the same basic mentality as me, so it's doable.

I have a question:

what? You are an adult, you can do whatever you want.

To answer the original poll, I live with two other med students (an MS1 and and MS2) and a friend who is an undergrad. I love the living situation and think it has worked out perfectly. Its nice to have the 2nd year to ask advice if need be, i like having the classmate MS1 there too (we study well together), and the non med student is nice to have just to talk to someone outside of med school. Beyond whether or not they are in med school or not (i dont think that really matters much) is that my roomates are all really cool and chill to live with and i think thats the most important thing to try and get if you are goign to live with other people. I guess I just got kinda lucky b/c i didny really know them before, but its worked out well.