Roosevelt CoP (& Other new programs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jWill90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN,

I am currently a student at Roosevelt CoP in Illinois. Roosevelt is one of the many new schools recently opened, and is on a 3 year plan with yearly class sizes ~70 people. My applications stats were 93 PCAT, 3.06 GPA, and minimal experience in terms of pharm tech/volunteer work. I would like to think my low GPA was due to a combination of boredom/lack of effort, as opposed to lack of ability; my final 2 years my average GPA was ~3.9.

I applied to Roosevelt CoP after predicting my rejection from much better schools (UIC namely), and still wanting to pursue a PharmD I decided to go for it. These are some facts that I have noticed:

- The quality of students here is *much* lower than the quality of students while working on my undergraduate (in EE, + all the Org. Chem and Bio I needed). They have a listed minimum PCAT of 40 (lol). Needless to say there are students here with PCAT scores under 40; the minimums stated are likely closer to the 15th or 20th percentile than hard minimums.

- I cannot stress this enough. Most of the students are absolute *****s who have zero business pursuing (what I thought was) a prestigious PharmD. Courses are a joke. The oft repeated benefit of Roosevelt CoP over other schools is the friendly and personal relationship between students and teachers. This is a 'benefit' in the sense that students are being pushed through with lower and lower standards, instructors telling students exactly what will be on an exam, etc. It is a goddamn shame, and the whole thing feels more and more like a circle-jerk of kids who couldn't hack it in a 'real' school by each passing day. I would not be surprised if the school had some sort of attrition requirement (i.e. max attrition of 5% or something), to keep the $ flowing. The whole operation stinks.

- Quality of equipment/labs/etc. is very good (from what I have seen). This does not make up for anything, and hell...every school in the nation could have better labs and I would be none the wiser. (i.e. I have nothing to compare to)

- Do NOT go to any of these new ****holes. I will be graduating in a year with six figures of debt and will likely resort to returning to my previous job as my prospects as a Roosevelt grad are nil. Every respectable pharmacist/manager/etc. knows that Roosevelt is a joke, so you will either have to move far enough away where the name is not recognized, or find something else to do.

These are my 2c. Do not follow in my footsteps; if you did not do well enough in Ugrad to get into a top tier program maybe think of doing something else.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has it been difficult for your school to find rotation sites with so many schools in the Chicago area?

SDN,

I am currently a student at Roosevelt CoP in Illinois. Roosevelt is one of the many new schools recently opened, and is on a 3 year plan with yearly class sizes ~70 people. My applications stats were 93 PCAT, 3.06 GPA, and minimal experience in terms of pharm tech/volunteer work. I would like to think my low GPA was due to a combination of boredom/lack of effort, as opposed to lack of ability; my final 2 years my average GPA was ~3.9.

I applied to Roosevelt CoP after predicting my rejection from much better schools (UIC namely), and still wanting to pursue a PharmD I decided to go for it. These are some facts that I have noticed:

- The quality of students here is *much* lower than the quality of students while working on my undergraduate (in EE, + all the Org. Chem and Bio I needed). They have a listed minimum PCAT of 40 (lol). Needless to say there are students here with PCAT scores under 40; the minimums stated are likely closer to the 15th or 20th percentile than hard minimums.

- I cannot stress this enough. Most of the students are absolute *****s who have zero business pursuing (what I thought was) a prestigious PharmD. Courses are a joke. The oft repeated benefit of Roosevelt CoP over other schools is the friendly and personal relationship between students and teachers. This is a 'benefit' in the sense that students are being pushed through with lower and lower standards, instructors telling students exactly what will be on an exam, etc. It is a goddamn shame, and the whole thing feels more and more like a circle-jerk of kids who couldn't hack it in a 'real' school by each passing day. I would not be surprised if the school had some sort of attrition requirement (i.e. max attrition of 5% or something), to keep the $ flowing. The whole operation stinks.

- Quality of equipment/labs/etc. is very good (from what I have seen). This does not make up for anything, and hell...every school in the nation could have better labs and I would be none the wiser. (i.e. I have nothing to compare to)

- Do NOT go to any of these new ****holes. I will be graduating in a year with six figures of debt and will likely resort to returning to my previous job as my prospects as a Roosevelt grad are nil. Every respectable pharmacist/manager/etc. knows that Roosevelt is a joke, so you will either have to move far enough away where the name is not recognized, or find something else to do.

These are my 2c. Do not follow in my footsteps; if you did not do well enough in Ugrad to get into a top tier program maybe think of doing something else.

Did you even try applying to UIC or MWU? I would say you had a good chance of getting in. Maybe your GPA was below average but PCAT score was outstanding.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would reckon so, I have seen ads myself looking for preceptors, and as far as I am aware quite a bit of our tuition is going into securing rotation sites. Again, as I have no clue of how the broad picture works (maybe paying/hunting for preceptors in the norm?), but I can only imagine that the opportunities presented to UIC students w/ the Medical District being next door that Roosevelt is again in the dust.

The worst part is the 'fakeness' of everyone there. There are a handful of students and only a single professor who seems to be well grounded; the others either have lied to themselves until they believe that Roosevelt is and par with UIC and MWU or are simply bottom feeders.

The shame and guilt I carry from this decision to attend a few years ago is insurmountable. If you are a 'hard-charger' (which I would like to think I am; my mediocre GPA now-withstanding) avoid places like this at all costs. I believe (and my only 'real' professor agrees with me, of course he could never say so in public or would be promptly ostracized and fired....gotta drink the kool-aid to teach in this school.) that this school is essentially a degree mill. I can't wait to see the NAPLEX pass rate for this school.

Last edited:
Did you even try applying to UIC or MWU? I would say you had a good chance of getting in. Maybe your GPA was below average but PCAT score was outstanding.

I have applied and was rejected. An aquaintance of mine got in with slightly higher GPA and lower PCAT; the average GPA is much higher than my 3; it was not surprising (unfortunately).

I understand that this is all my doing, and my decision at 17/18 and later at 24 have come back to haunt me. I am simply hoping that others do not go down the same path I have, as they may be in for a rude awakening when it is already too late, with debt piling up.

I should have gotten out after my first year, but I was enamored with pharmacy school (puppy love, almost) and thought that most underperformers would be attrited.

WO WO OWOOO WOOOOO WTF is the FKING problem!??!

You go to a 3 years program, you learn the material, you graduate, and you obtain the knowledge necessary to do doctoral level work in retail, hospital, or research, pursuing necessary PGY study when it is necessary so WTF is the problem?!?!?

It don't matter how the program work, the program is merely a QA process to make sure you know the knowledge. So what if the other kid sux? as long as you study, ace the test, which measure how well you will practice in the real world then what is the problem?

Are you not liscense? have you tried to apply for job in retail, hospital, or industry? WHY are you going back to a 35,000 job AFTER getting a doctorate degree? whate the FK is going on here? Jesus none of this sht make any sense.

The AACP made sure every institution achieve a HIGH QUALITIED MINIMUM, and with that alone, you should be prepared for the professional setting. Chrst this whole thread is frustrating.

Subpar PCAT don't mean sht if you graduate and achieve the Doctorate degree.

You go to a 3 years program, you learn the material, you graduate, and you obtain the knowledge necessary to do doctoral level work in retail, hospital, or research, pursuing necessary PGY study when it is necessary so WTF is the problem?!?!?

It don't matter how the program work, the program is merely a QA process to make sure you know the knowledge. So what if the other kid sux? as long as you study, ace the test, which measure how well you will practice in the real world then what is the problem?

Are you not liscense? have you tried to apply for job in retail, hospital, or industry? WHY are you going back to a 35,000 job AFTER getting a doctorate degree? whate the FK is going on here? Jesus none of this sht make any sense.

The AACP made sure every institution achieve a HIGH QUALITIED MINIMUM, and with that alone, you should be prepared for the professional setting. Chrst this whole thread is frustrating.

Because its pride. He thought he was going to a good school, surrounded with people who can encourage him and help him out. But in reality these students are depressing, when I surround myself with smart people i learn a lot as well. he is hoping that the students in his class who graduate in the new program are able to make a name for themselves, but instead only drags the schools name down. When he comes out, and people realizes he comes out from such a program the amount of respect for him deceases a bit.

Of course not everyone thinks like him, some people just want the pharmD. I would say people in the pharmd program are smart, but some just lack motivation.

I told you so?

This school is bad, not many of the hospitals will take their students...better off at Chicago State or RFU for new schools in Chicago.

lol what? :laugh:

i think so, you should be prepared for the professional setting. Chrst this whole thread is frustrating. good info to me
7.gif

WOW! I thought the school was far better than this...I guess judging from the interview alone is not reasonable...

so for those who are attending Roosevelt right now..giving a choice to go to a four year school thats been around a little longer...would you still choose Roosevelt, why or why not?

I am in the process of deciding between a few schools and Roosevelt is one of them...

thank you in advance!!

"Jesus none of this sht make any sense."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

can any current students comment here? this seems like a harsh statement for a school that seemed to be developing well...

As a current student at Roosevelt University and a member of the college of pharmacy the experience is what you make it to be. All universities, established or new, have students at a variety of levels but it is what you make of it that distingusihes you from other candidates. For the classmate who felt the need to vent about their issues with the university, maybe the issue is not your grades and the "lack" of education you feel you are receiving, it may be the attitude you posses.It is such a shame that you would speak so horribly about your classmates and faculty. The experience you get, is like we mentioned previously, what you make of it. We are not at the "bottom of the barrel" as you make it seem. Many of us were accepted into multiple colleges of pharmacy and actually chose to come here. It was not our only option. Also, do you know that classmates were scoring in the 15 to 20th percentile? Did you really score in the 92nd percentile? Don't judge others and we wont judge you on the rude comments you made.
As for students who are currently thinking about attending, please do not let one students remarks change your mind about attending this school. My experience at RU has been a wonderful one. If you are committed to this profession, you understand that studying will consume your life. We have a ton of resources available to us and its just how you decide to use them. The staff does care about us and does work with us to help us do our best.
We all work very hard to do good, however, i can not speak for all. Please dont call your classmates *****s...how do we know you are not the *****. Instead of bashing the school you were accepted into, you should be thankful you even got accepted considering all your other options rejected you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I told you so?

This school is bad, not many of the hospitals will take their students...better off at Chicago State or RFU for new schools in Chicago.

I think the only thing that will prevent schools like this from opening is a lack of rotation sites. The ACPE standards are pretty explicit about having ample quality sites.

I am also a pharmacy student at Roosevelt University as a P3. Not sure who you are jwill90 but sorry that you do not feel like Roosevelt is good enough for you. I would love to know who you are and feel free to let me know as you already know who I am from my name. I will tell others my opinion of our program. The good and the bad in my honest opinion and address some concerns that I see here.

"The quality of students here is *much* lower than the quality of students while working on my undergraduate. Every respectable pharmacist/manager/etc. knows that Roosevelt is a joke"
There are a bunch of bright students in my class. Maybe not as bright as you may think we are jwill90 but we are quite bright. In every IPPE rotation I have been at whether by myself or a group of other Roosevelt students, each preceptor has enjoyed having us and was interested in having us again as an APPE student. Not sure what impression you are leaving your preceptors but mine have all respected me as a student and as a future pharmacist. It's also amazing how at one of my hospital IPPE as a P2, I knew more information than some P4's from other programs but hey jwill90 maybe their program is just as bad... who knows right? (being slightly sarcastic)

"The shame and guilt I carry from this decision to attend a few years ago is insurmountable"
There's always the option of just leaving the program. Would hate to see someone go but hey if your not happy, why not just try to get into another program and compare the two schools and then give us an analysis of the two schools. Not sure how good your p-value will be but its worth a shot right?

"WO WO OWOOO WOOOOO WTF is the FKING problem!??!
It don't matter how the program work, the program is merely a QA process to make sure you know the knowledge. So what if the other kid sux? as long as you study, ace the test, which measure how well you will practice in the real world then what is the problem?"

Exactly, everything is available for you. There's textbooks, online resources, practitioners, quiz banks, even a school. Pretty much everything you need to pass the NAPLEX at your fingertips. Not everyone likes every program. I bet there is probably at least 1 person in each pharmacy school who hates their school. (as in roosevelt this is probably jwill90) but hey you do what you need to do to pass the NAPLEX and become a practitioner. There's no excuses nowadays.

nycrxdream
I understand that that you believe jwill90 is getting cheated out of his/her education because there is no support around him/her. Let me tell you from another perspective at roosevelt, there is more than enough support for him/her. Even if this person is the top student in our class (don't think this person complaining is but I can be wrong), there is faculty support where each and every one of our faculty is available sometime throughout the week in person or by email. There is student support as people are studying together all the time. There is even emotional support if he/she wants to see a counselor that we have available. It would be much easier knowing who this person is so someone can help this person out with whatever problems they are facing but they may choose to be anonymous in which this situation would not resolve.

So what is in my opinion, the good and the bad to answer your question ormanyhills.
Would I go to a 4 year program instead of this? For me no. Is the quarter system tough? sure if you cannot organize your time. If you can organize your time then it isn't a problem at all. That is entirely up to you. A 3 year program anywhere you go is going to be tough, fast-pace, and when finals come a pain in the apples (not sure if sdn likes foul language). But hey it's a graduate program and you should expect to be studying a lot. From speaking with other pharm students from other programs, most students are afraid of the real practice (unless you have been a tech or working somewhere health-care related) and even their APPE. Almost all have told me that APPE is where everything comes together. I haven't been on APPE yet but IPPE have done a sufficient enough job that I feel somewhat prepared for APPE (still have two more terms before those). Hope that answers your question

So the bad of the school:
It's new so things happen. The faculty and administration makes changes to better our program and that is that. Our class has seen changes happen and the new class has had many positive changes from things that happened within my class. It's not big changes such as material that is taught because those address what we need to know to practice but changes that make the program more efficient and smoother.
We don't have a med school associated with us. That is true. There are also a handful of other programs that have been well established that do not have med schools. Instead we have a pharmacy school. A school where our faculty are pharmacists who graduated from great programs and have been practicing and still practicing. Where they are accessible to us if we need them. Most of them will respond within 24 hours. A med school would be great to get some opinions from med students but we have faculty who have been in plenty of situations.
Not sure of any other bads I can think of. Feel free to ask questions and I will give my honest opinion.

So the good of the school:
It's a small class size. I personally like that kind of setting (went to a small HS and loved it, went to a big University and found it eh) We have group settings and presentations to where I feel most of my class has developed well in the public speaking category. This becomes essential in our practice because have you seen how many pharmacist at a community location look timid and intimidated to talk to a patient? Our program is use to speaking in front of people now. How does this play into the hospital setting? We need to speak in that setting also.
We don't have all the organizations but we have enough for our class sizes and the main ones out there. We have APhA-ASP, SSHP, AMCP, Kappa Psi, and other religious/ethnic organizations . Definitely enough for the 70 students per class setting.
Pretty much felt like I wrote an essay on this. I respect that jwill90 has problems with our program but not everyone here feels that way. It is almost impossible to please everyone. This school really is not a bad program. If a prospective student has questions about my input feel free to ask me and I will answer it to the best of my ability. Yes I seem quite bias towards this program because I feel it is a great program. I'm highly involved in organizations we have here. I do my best to host events here such as an end of the year banquet. And I do my best to represent a program that I am proud to put on my CV.

jWill90

Shame on you! As a fellow classmate I feel insulted by your comments. If this is the attitude that you have you definitely are not fit to be a pharmacist. Insulting other people that you know nothing about is just showing your character, which you might be lacking. Of course there are times that we are all frustrated with the program but that is the choice we made so now we have to make the best of it.

jWill90

Shame on you! As a fellow classmate I feel insulted by your comments. If this is the attitude that you have you definitely are not fit to be a pharmacist. Insulting other people that you know nothing about is just showing your character, which you might be lacking. Of course there are times that we are all frustrated with the program but that is the choice we made so now we have to make the best of it.

Berating someone for sharing their opinion on an anonymous forum is probably not good either.

It's important for prospective students to know as much as possible about a school before they spend the time/effort/money in applying there.

Berating someone for sharing their opinion on an anonymous forum is probably not good either.

It's important for prospective students to know as much as possible about a school before they spend the time/effort/money in applying there.

Oh really? Did you know s/he called his/her entire class a pack of "*****s?" I'm sure the other students in class thinks the same of him/her.The eyes can be deceiving and what you see cannot be translated into hard facts. I know people who I thought were bright but ended up failing exams. Sharing opinions is fine,but when its a subjective bias mess then people have the right to fire back.

I am all for voicing your opinion.Say whatever you want I do not care about that but it can be done without insulting others and making assumptions/name-calling.....totally uncalled for.

Why didn't you berate the OP for berating his class? j/w. If your reasons was that he was providing much valuable information for other candidates... then your judgement might be a little bit off.

If I told a person who doesn't know much that 1+1 = 3. Is this valuable information? if in the context that there was two other people there who said 1+1 = 2 then chances are the OP is not providing valuable information for other potential learner.

How many people are in the AACP? are they experts in the field of pharmacy? if they got together and decided that this school's pharmacy program met a high quality minimum that would train accomplished pharmacists then what is the weight of their judgements against a person who has a judgement/opinion against the program?

All of the AACP members vs 1 person? There could be potential candidates who enrolled in the OP's program and enjoyed it but did not express his or her opinion here...

So the OP's opinion is no way universal reality. It could just be his own personal perception of the program, his own reality, and it alone should not have any say in helping other students ASSESS the program.

He could have just been a weak and if not weak then an unmotivated student. I can see another students who went there worked hard, got experiences outside of his/her course work, and built a strong resume so that his or her chances are high at being hired to work after graduation.

Last edited:
Why didn't you berate the OP for berating his class? j/w. If your reasons was that he was providing much valuable information for other candidates... then your judgement might be a little bit off.

If I told a person who doesn't know much that 1+1 = 3. Is this valuable information? if in the context that there was two other people there who said 1+1 = 2 then chances are the OP is not providing valuable information for other potential learner.

How many people are in the AACP? are they experts in the field of pharmacy? if they got together and decided that this school's pharmacy program met a high quality minimum that would train accomplished pharmacists then what is the weight of their judgements against a person who has a judgement/opinion against the program?

All of the AACP members vs 1 person? There could be potential candidates who enrolled in the OP's program and enjoyed it but did not express his or her opinion here...

So the OP's opinion is no way universal reality. It could just be his own personal perception of the program, his own reality, and it alone should not have any say in helping other students ASSESS the program.

He could have just been a weak and if not weak then an unmotivated student. I can see another students who went there worked hard, got experiences outside of his/her course work, and built a strong resume so that his or her chances are high at being hired to work after graduation.

tl;dr

I am all for voicing your opinion.Say whatever you want I do not care about that but it can be done without insulting others and making assumptions/name-calling.....totally uncalled for.

Telling someone they aren't fit to be a pharmacist is pretty much the same thing, wouldn't you say ?

Oh really? Did you know s/he called his/her entire class a pack of "*****s?" I'm sure the other students in class thinks the same of him/her.The eyes can be deceiving and what you see cannot be translated into hard facts. I know people who I thought were bright but ended up failing exams. Sharing opinions is fine,but when its a subjective bias mess then people have the right to fire back.

:rolleyes:

I literally have not been on the SDN since starting school at RU-COP, who has the time in a 3-year program. I know alot of students in both classes are upset about what was posted. I think in general we all agree that there are definitely pluses and minuses. No program is perfect especially a new program. I know many of the students in both classes are happy with classes (for the most part), have good relationships with teachers, enjoy their rotation sites and know that in the end they will be prepared for what is down the road.
Sure we get stressed out, over worked, faculty switch assignment due dates the night before but WHO HASN'T HAD THAT EXPERIENCE! Just move on to the next thing.
The original poster to this thread clearly is having a negative experience and has just been rubbed the wrong way. I'm sure he/she will get a job after graduation... probably working in some corner drugstore being miserable and dispensing pills for the next 30 years... Maybe it's time for that student to do something else... I heard from one of the staff members that they get plenty of Med and Dent students applying... maybe the poster would be happy doing something else. Move on to the next thing!
Whereas other students will take advantage of research, relationship building, preceptors, internships, and APPEs and become good pharmacist who enjoy what they do.
I take issue with someone calling my school a "bad school" or whatever the other comment was. It's not at all bad whatever you mean by that. We have plenty of rotations. I've been at to two university medical centers, two community, and I am in a hospice setting now. If you go to RFU you hope students enjoy hauling out to Milwaukee for a rotation or being worried that CSU as a univeristy is close to losing its accreditation... buh bye COP!
Perhaps hold your judgement and come check RU-COP out or precept some of my classmates (none of which are *****s... well maybe one or two :p)
I know that many of us will come out of Ru-Cop prepared and ready and will have jobs offered to us... and others won't be and that;s their own damn fault for letting perceived slights, insults, a few bad teachers, and not being motivated to do the important work... get in their way.
Well I just needed to say my piece... I've got bigger fish to fry, mountains to climb, and med-chem to study. Move on to the next thing.

I completely agree with you, WannaPharmD.

Last edited:
Please trust the pre-pharms/students instead of those who are in practice....

To the comment about RFU sending students to MKE...RFU is located in North Chicago, and is the same driving time from MKE as it is from Chicago.... If anything it gives their students more options for rotations.

Chicago State's accreditation was reaffirmed in 2010 - the story about the institution losing accrediation was back in 2009. The pharmacy school is fully accreditated as of 6/2012. Plus CSU sends a lot of their students to Univ of Chicago for rotations, which is one of the best hospitals in the country.

Get your facts straight!

I have a feeling that someone is making multiple accounts lol

Perhaps....

Either way, newer schools have an uphill climb and it seems this one is off to a bad start.

Speaking of which, did anyone see the post to one of AACP's SIGs yesterday from West Coast University regarding Spanish courses?

Another new school in California...in Los Angeles...

Replying to many of the points brought up:

- I have not been having any trouble at RU either academically/etc and am not on track to being working in some small corner pharmacy for 30 years. However I believe that my average classmate likely might. This is not a 'I'm failing so its your fault and you suck' thread', as I am not and am still weighing my options whether I should continue or not. I have not been a failure in my previous endeavors (very good EE job paying not much less than what pharmacists make now). I have tried to remain as unbiased as possible (however re-reading my posts I can clearly make out some bias).

- Yes, I may have been unduly harsh towards my fellow classmates, and there ARE quality students and staff at the University. However these are in the minority, the median student at RU likely does not hang around on SDN/etc.

- We are not being 'decieved' of a degree. RU is accredited and we will be recieving PharmDs. And as some say, a PharmD is a PharmD is a PharmD.

- As several RU students have posted the benefits are 'small class sizes + the instructors really care about you' as the only benefits of RU. Small class sizes can be a benefit, but seems very subjective. The notion that the instructors really care about the students does have substance, however, as I mentioned before, this usually manifests itself as the instructor just giving out 'hints' (or as I like to call them, facts) of what will be on upcoming exams.

- I am certain there will be highly succesful students from RU CoP, as from any program, just as I am sure that RU will have its share of underachievers. RU will simply have a much higher percentage of underachievers than many other colleges, and the RU name will be a negative on any resume for some time to come.

- In response to: "you should be thankful you even got accepted considering all your other options rejected you. ". Please. I should be thankful? Give me a break. This attitude is absolutely perverse.

- As others have pointed out, this is merely one disgruntled students opinion. There are others who share my views, many who are very successful at RU and on track to have lucrative careers. Unfortunately I will not be divulging my identity as there could be consequences that I am not prepared to face.

- I would also like to say that many students, who drop tonnes of $ on whatever school(s) they decide to attend, feel obligated to defend their school/choice tooth and nail, and see any criticism of the University as a personal attack. This was not meant as such, it was simply meant to have potential applicants think one last time before likely taking on six figures of debt and the next 3+ years of their lives.

Last edited: