Rosalind Franklin BMS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RingRoadMarket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I figure now might be a good time to start a new RFU BMS thread for those of us applying for fall 2012 admission.

Have any of you sent in your applications yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my app in before Christmas. Hopefully applying early will improve my chances...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty much finished with my application... I just need to obtain all my transcripts from the schools I have attended.

Does anybody know what length requirement is for the personal statement essay? Mine is 1.5-2 pages long [single spaced]. How long are the fill in the box portions [volunteer/research experience] supposed to be? The font just gets smaller the more you type into the box.

Also, I have many strong letters of rec... except that they were for med school. Do you guys know if RFU will accept them for the BMS program?

I am going to give them a call on Tuesday to figure out some of this stuff.

Last edited:
I'm sending mine in this week- any of you applying to the scholarship?

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

I'm sending mine in this week- any of you applying to the scholarship?

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

I think I might even though I probably wont be considered. I completed the personal statement for it.

Also, does anybody know if we can use letters of rec that were intended for medical school?

I attended the open house for Rosalind Franklin and they said that there no length requirement for the personal statement.

For the extracurricular part of the application, are we suppose to just list are activities?? Or do we need to include dates and a small description.

I am pretty much finished with my application... I just need to obtain all my transcripts from the schools I have attended.

Does anybody know what length requirement is for the personal statement essay? Mine is 1.5-2 pages long [single spaced]. How long are the fill in the box portions [volunteer/research experience] supposed to be? The font just gets smaller the more you type into the box.

Also, I have many strong letters of rec... except that they were for med school. Do you guys know if RFU will accept them for the BMS program?

I am going to give them a call on Tuesday to figure out some of this stuff.

Hey, I'm currently a BMS student. My essay was about 1 page double spaced, and I used my medical school LORs.

Regarding the activities section, I'm not too sure... I don't recall that section being on the app when I applied.

Good luck everyone :)

^awesome- how are you liking the program so far? Do you think it was worth it? Are there students in your class that have other career goals than MD/DO? Like PA?

Hey, I'm currently a BMS student. My essay was about 1 page double spaced, and I used my medical school LORs.

Regarding the activities section, I'm not too sure... I don't recall that section being on the app when I applied.

Good luck everyone :)

Thank you so much for responding to my question. It has been driving me crazy haha

How are your experiences so far?

Hey all, I too am in BMS. Just had my interview to CMS, and so far getting a 4.0 in BMS. So far everyone in the program has been really, really good to each other, there is no feeling of competition (because, unlike east coast schools, there's no quota) and the professors for the most part are really helpful. Please let me know if anyone has questions, and I'll try to get back to you in a timely manner.

Good luck!

Hey all, I too am in BMS. Just had my interview to CMS, and so far getting a 4.0 in BMS. So far everyone in the program has been really, really good to each other, there is no feeling of competition (because, unlike east coast schools, there's no quota) and the professors for the most part are really helpful. Please let me know if anyone has questions, and I'll try to get back to you in a timely manner.

Good luck!

That is really nice to hear! Though a competitive environment might motivate some... I think that being collaborative is a lot nicer :)
Also, great job with having a 4.0! That is great.
I had a question... When you applied to BMS did you send in your application materials [transcripts, LORs, etc] as you got them or all in one packet with your official app?

thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a question... When you applied to BMS did you send in your application materials [transcripts, LORs, etc] as you got them or all in one packet with your official app?

thank you!

I sent my letters separate from my app. I used interfolio.com for my letters, which I highly recommend to anyone applying. So, if i remember correctly, I sent In my app and picture, had interfolio send in my four letters of rec, and then had my undergrad university forward my transcripts. The admissions office has a checklist for everyone and will send you reminders if you've forgotten anything.

^awesome- how are you liking the program so far? Do you think it was worth it? Are there students in your class that have other career goals than MD/DO? Like PA?

Pretty good so far. Not too intense, lot of work but not too crazy. I'll say its worth it if I get accepted, which we probably won't find out until June :)

As far as our class goals, I think there are about 100 students remaining in the program and like 97 want to go med. I think the remaining 3 were dentistry and PA or something, can't remember. The program is good for pretty much any program (especially for programs that RFU offers, since BMS students are guaranteed an interview to any RFU program, not just medicine). But naturally pre-meds are more likely to attend programs like this

Im thinking about applying to RFU BMS Program and due to location it is my number one choice.. my stats are cGPA 3.45 and sGPA 3.0 and MCAT 24 and planning on retaking in April (stupid verbal!) anyone know my chances of getting in before I retake the MCAT or should I wait? Also any other ideas of where else to apply? Thanks! :)

hey guys, do you guys know if we could use letters that were written for medical school? or do we have to get letters separately for SMPs. i have not gotten my letters yet but i am wondering if i should ask my writers for two separate letters :confused:

hey guys, do you guys know if we could use letters that were written for medical school? or do we have to get letters separately for SMPs. i have not gotten my letters yet but i am wondering if i should ask my writers for two separate letters :confused:

Same letters are fine. I actually used my same ones for RFU BMS program, then used it for my medical school application this cycle.

Like everyone else said, the program is not super intense - the M1's have almost double the work that we do. But it does take getting used to - I was a non-science major and for the first two months I was having a lot of trouble (C averages). After speaking to advisors (steve and allegra) I changed up my studying style and I have been doing much better. I think it's a great opportunity to prepare yourself for medical school as well as getting in - I will be much more prepared next year when I am an M1.

For the essays, Do we include the statement about the online courses within our personal statement. Or is it a separate essays??

I am just wondering but did anyone have a problem with the highlighted fields for the credit hours for the pre req classes?? If I fill in one number, it will autofill the rest of the columns, but wont let me make any changes.

I am just wondering but did anyone have a problem with the highlighted fields for the credit hours for the pre req classes?? If I fill in one number, it will autofill the rest of the columns, but wont let me make any changes.

I came across the same problem. I just printed out the application when it was completed and filled in the credits by hand.

I'll also be sending my application in this month! Just graduated last May and have been working part time to save up some money...gotta help out paying for my future studies (real world problems)!! I was wondering what kind of health-related experiences everyone has/had on their apps just to have a better idea. I'm volunteering at a hospital in the ER department and hoping that it will give me a decent chance of getting accepted...thanks!

I am just curious, but anyone mind sharing how long the length of their personal statement is. Mine is about a page and half single spaced with the online components essay included

I'll also be sending my application in this month! Just graduated last May and have been working part time to save up some money...gotta help out paying for my future studies (real world problems)!! I was wondering what kind of health-related experiences everyone has/had on their apps just to have a better idea. I'm volunteering at a hospital in the ER department and hoping that it will give me a decent chance of getting accepted...thanks!

The ER gig is a great move. I shadowed in an ER, on the ICU, and in a cardiology department. I also volunteered weekly doing hospice, just visiting patients and chatting. I also worked at several health-related jobs and in research.

The ER gig is a great move. I shadowed in an ER, on the ICU, and in a cardiology department. I also volunteered weekly doing hospice, just visiting patients and chatting. I also worked at several health-related jobs and in research.

Thank you! If you don't mind sharing, what path have you taken (SMP/Med school/Dental)?

Thank you! If you don't mind sharing, what path have you taken (SMP/Med school/Dental)?

Med school. I think nearly all of the BMSers this year are aiming for CMS. I think there were about three out of the hundred or so that were aiming for dental school or other graduate programs.

Im thinking about applying to RFU BMS Program and due to location it is my number one choice.. my stats are cGPA 3.45 and sGPA 3.0 and MCAT 24 and planning on retaking in April (stupid verbal!) anyone know my chances of getting in before I retake the MCAT or should I wait? Also any other ideas of where else to apply? Thanks! :)

Hey Science, sorry for the late reply.

You stand a decent chance of getting in with your current stats, although a retake on the MCAT would be a good idea in general just so you have more backup options. Go ahead and apply to BMS ASAP and retake the MCAT later this spring. You will be glad you did if you don't end up getting into CMS/BMS. The only other SMP I would recommend other than BMS is the one at EVMS, due to the similarly high linkage. That program is a bit harder to get into, as there is a significantly smaller number of seats. Don't waste your time with Georgetown, Drexel, or others like it because they are gunner programs and have a historically low linkage. After all, the aim is to actually get into med school, right?

Last edited:
I am just curious, but anyone mind sharing how long the length of their personal statement is. Mine is about a page and half single spaced with the online components essay included

Hey! My personal statement was 1.5 pages single-spaced and my essay for the scholarship was about 1 page long. I'm not exactly sure about the online component that you all are speaking of.....I guess I need to go re-read the application.

In the application, it asks to include a statement in regards to the online component. Dont forget to include that!

Hey Science, sorry for the late reply.

You stand a decent chance of getting in with your current stats, although a retake on the MCAT would be a good idea in general just so you have more backup options. Go ahead and apply to BMS ASAP and retake the MCAT later this spring. You will be glad you did if you don't end up getting into CMS/BMS. The only other SMP I would recommend other than BMS is the one at EVMS, due to the similarly high linkage. That program is a bit harder to get into, as there is a significantly smaller number of seats. Don't waste your time with Georgetown, Drexel, or others like it because they are gunner programs and have a historically low linkage. After all, the aim is to actually get into med school, right?
Thanks for the reply! I am finishing up my application and applying by the end of the month! Fingers crossed! I do hope to get into med school after the BMS program and plan on retaking the MCAT in April... How do I go about stating in my application that I plan on retaking the MCAT in the Spring? Also I will look into EVMS thanks for the advice! Do you by any chance know anything about the masters program that Loyola has to offer?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the reply! I am finishing up my application and applying by the end of the month! Fingers crossed! I do hope to get into med school after the BMS program and plan on retaking the MCAT in April... How do I go about stating in my application that I plan on retaking the MCAT in the Spring? Also I will look into EVMS thanks for the advice! Do you by any chance know anything about the masters program that Loyola has to offer?

Thanks!!

On your application, there should be a place to fill in when you took/ plan on taking your MCAT. If you plan on taking it again, just indicate when you plan on retaking it. If your current scores are what are keeping you out, the BMS admissions office will wait for your new scores before they make a decision. I think as long as you apply early, it'll be okay- you probably don't need to retake your MCAT for BMS; you need to retake it in case you need to apply elsewhere. Once you get in to BMS, you need to apply for CMS the following year, and a shiny new MCAT score will go onto your app then.

I don't know too much about MAMS (I think that's the one you mean). I looked into it last year, but the way I understand it, it doesn't have a good linkage to the medical school at Loyola, and I believe you need to take a glide year after the masters program. i.e. after you take MAMS, you get your grades in the spring and then apply for the following year. I don't want to talk too much smack about any postbacc/SMP program, but in my humble opinion, spending 40+ grand on a masters degree is pretty risky if the linkage is low. And I'm not sure how a MAMS degree will help you if you end up not making the cut. Similarly, a Master's in Biomedical Sciences may not do too much for you if you don't get in to CMS, but at least the chances are significantly higher that doing BMS will land you a seat in Chicago Med. SMPs are all no doubt a big investment and therefore big risk. You should do everything in your power to tip the odds in your favor. This means studying really, really hard, and getting into a program that has the highest chance of getting you where you want to be.

On your application, there should be a place to fill in when you took/ plan on taking your MCAT. If you plan on taking it again, just indicate when you plan on retaking it. If your current scores are what are keeping you out, the BMS admissions office will wait for your new scores before they make a decision. I think as long as you apply early, it'll be okay- you probably don't need to retake your MCAT for BMS; you need to retake it in case you need to apply elsewhere. Once you get in to BMS, you need to apply for CMS the following year, and a shiny new MCAT score will go onto your app then.

I don't know too much about MAMS (I think that's the one you mean). I looked into it last year, but the way I understand it, it doesn't have a good linkage to the medical school at Loyola, and I believe you need to take a glide year after the masters program. i.e. after you take MAMS, you get your grades in the spring and then apply for the following year. I don't want to talk too much smack about any postbacc/SMP program, but in my humble opinion, spending 40+ grand on a masters degree is pretty risky if the linkage is low. And I'm not sure how a MAMS degree will help you if you end up not making the cut. Similarly, a Master's in Biomedical Sciences may not do too much for you if you don't get in to CMS, but at least the chances are significantly higher that doing BMS will land you a seat in Chicago Med. SMPs are all no doubt a big investment and therefore big risk. You should do everything in your power to tip the odds in your favor. This means studying really, really hard, and getting into a program that has the highest chance of getting you where you want to be.
Thanks for the great advice I really appreciate it! Hopefully everything works out!

Hi I am applying to this program too. I really hope I get in! Just wondering if there is an online application somewhere or if we need to mail in all of our supporting documents (CV, Statement, etc) I have already mailed my transcripts and letters.

Hi I am applying to this program too. I really hope I get in! Just wondering if there is an online application somewhere or if we need to mail in all of our supporting documents (CV, Statement, etc) I have already mailed my transcripts and letters.

You have to mail it in I believe. But what address did you send your transcripts to? I've been looking for the address but I guess I can't find it.

Hey all I am thinking about apply to RFU BMS program. I have a 3.1 cGPA and a 3.1 BCMP GPA and a 26MCAT. I am retaking the MCAT on Jan 28. Should I go ahead and apply to this program or should I wait for my score? What are my chances if I apply now? Can I update the program once I get my scores in?
Thanks.

Hey all I am thinking about apply to RFU BMS program. I have a 3.1 cGPA and a 3.1 BCMP GPA and a 26MCAT. I am retaking the MCAT on Jan 28. Should I go ahead and apply to this program or should I wait for my score? What are my chances if I apply now? Can I update the program once I get my scores in?
Thanks.

To answer your last question, I called their admissions office and the advisor I talked to told me that once you submit your application, they will no longer review any updates you send...

Thanks.

I would just wait for the new score which you should receive early March. I applied around May and I got accepted.

Did anyone have an issue with the font formatting in the healthcare experience section.? The font gets all messed up and it looks tacky if you add more in one line.

Did anyone have an issue with the font formatting in the healthcare experience section.? The font gets all messed up and it looks tacky if you add more in one line.

Yes I had the same issue. I just struggled with it and tried to get the lines to match as close as possible.

Hey guys! I was wondering if any of you can help me out. Do you submit the application online or do you print out the PDF file and submit it via snail mail? I've been looking for a way to submit an application but I can't seem to figure it out :( anyone please help

Oops nevermind... I read the previous posts and I guess it's snail mail!

Has anybody heard back from the program yet?

I submitted my app almost a month ago and have not heard back yet. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Has anybody heard back from the program yet?

I submitted my app almost a month ago and have not heard back yet. Maybe I am just being paranoid.

I submitted early January, shot them an Email, and they confirmed that they had all of my material and that it was in the screening process. I didn't receive any other emails outside of the response to my question. From previous years, it seems as though acceptances start to be sent out at the beginning of March.

Did you just ask the admissions if they had all the material required for the application ??

for 2012, BMS students will be given their admissions decisions in early april, as opposed to late may/early june like it was in 2011. this means that by the first exam block of neuroscience in the spring, many of us will know if we are in, out, or on the wait list. I do believe the letters will go out in waves, so not everyone with an acceptance or rejection will know their status at the same time.

i'm excited and terrified at the same time...

for 2012, BMS students will be given their admissions decisions in early april, as opposed to late may/early june like it was in 2011. this means that by the first exam block of neuroscience in the spring, many of us will know if we are in, out, or on the wait list. I do believe the letters will go out in waves, so not everyone with an acceptance or rejection will know their status at the same time.

i'm excited and terrified at the same time...

Is this for admissions into the Medical School from the BMS program, or for potential incoming BMS people?

Unz was referring to being accepted into the medical school. Good luck unzbuzzled. I received the automated email today stating my application is under review for those interested.