Rosalind Franklin BMS 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you guys find out that you are on the waiting list for on-campus housing? All i received was an application confirmation.

Members don't see this ad.

How did you guys find out that you are on the waiting list for on-campus housing? All i received was an application confirmation.

That's all you have to do. I called the housing office just to confirm, though. I was also told that the student housing waitlist tends to move sometime in mid-June.

I got accepted today too and will most likely be attending!!! I'm currently looking for a roommate so please message me!1 =]

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted!!

Can someone tell us about housing?...any advice, inside info, good/bad spots to live, where to get furniture, anything we should know or expect, etc.?

Thanks and congrats to all who got in!

Last edited:
Wow a ton of people go accepted today! Hopefully there are still more spots to fill!

Could I ask what stats you guys had?

Also - how long did it take for your transcripts to be collected.... I live 2 zipcodes away from RFU, but they still haven't received my transcript.

Wow a ton of people go accepted today! Hopefully there are still more spots to fill!

Could I ask what stats you guys had?

Also - how long did it take for your transcripts to be collected.... I live 2 zipcodes away from RFU, but they still haven't received my transcript.

I had my transcripts sent from both coasts and they took somewhere between 3-7 days to arrive and get processed. If you're only 2 zip codes away and it's taken longer than this, you'll need to call the school and ask them to re-send it.

I don't know why, but while applying to SMPs I've had 3 incidences where a transcript wasn't received and I had to request them to be re-sent.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I can be of any help, but I collected all my transcripts and sent all of them in at once via Express Mail. It should be noticed that all those transcripts were enclosed and sealed by each institution, and all I did was putting them altogether in one big envelope and sending it though. The advantage of this is that you can arrange all your application materials as you want and review all of them before sending those in.

For each transcript, it took about three days to be sent to me, and Express Mail delivered them on the next day from TN, though its cost was ridiculous.

Last edited:
I had my transcripts sent from both CA and NY, and they took somewhere between 3-7 days to arrive and get processed. If you're only 2 zip codes away and it's taken longer than this, you'll need to call the school and ask them to re-send it.

I don't know why, but while applying to SMPs I've had 3 incidences where a transcript wasn't received and I had to request them to be re-sent.

Oh sorry, I may have misinterpreted your original message. It sounds like you did what YJ2010 (the poster above me) did - you received your transcripts and sent them yourself to Rosalind Franklin. I did something different - I had every institution I've attended send the transcripts on their own.

But yeah if you life 2 zipcodes away and it hasn't been received after 3-5 days by RFU, then you have a problem. If you have some sort of shipping or confirmation number that might be a helpful way to check what's going on.

Has anyone who applied for the scholarship heard back yet? I haven't heard anything....

Has anyone who applied for the scholarship heard back yet? I haven't heard anything....

I'm dying to find it out too, though I'm just assuming that no one would be given scholarship at least until the application deadline. Please correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm just "assuming" without any real information...

I'm dying to find it out too, though I'm just assuming that no one would be given scholarship at least until the application deadline. Please correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm just "assuming" without any real information...

I actually called and inquired and they said decisions won't be made until all the applications have been submitted. Additionally, they also mentioned that the amount that will be awarded will only be enough to cover expenses for books LOL but I guess some scholarship is better than no scholarship

I'm still waiting on other SMPs before I decide to go to RFU. I'm already on the waiting list for Woodlands and student housing. Do you guys think it will be too late for me to get an apartment if I wait until mid-June to try to secure one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still unsure about attending RFU BMS because of the cost. RFU isn't really a highly ranked medical school either... Does anyone have a good explanation as to whether the program is worth going to?

I'm still unsure about attending RFU BMS because of the cost. RFU isn't really a highly ranked medical school either... Does anyone have a good explanation as to whether the program is worth going to?

This program is really only for people who otherwise wouldn't have a chance of getting in to a US MD school due to a low uGPA/MCAT. In other words, if you have the chops to get in to a top medical school minus something that can easily be fixed (eg. little experience/volunteering/etc.) this program most likely isn't for you. Otherwise, if you're like the majority of us on this forum, this program is definitely one of the best ways of getting in to a US medical school.

PS, if you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

rankings don't mean zilch unless you're going to a top 10 med school. If you look at RFU's match list they are very competitive with schools like Loyola and Rush. And truth be told, if you had the credentials to be going to a top 10 school, let's be honest, you probably wouldn't be applying to the BMS program. A US allopathic school is a US allopathic school. Case in point.

so any former bmsers/current med students, did they change the pass/fail curriculum to 1st year only or is it first 2 years?

As I understood it, those of you in class of 2017 will be Pass/Fail for M1 and M2. Class of 2016, on the other hand, will stay letter grades since they don't want one year to be letter grades and the next year to be pass/fail

USPS confirmation of delivery to Rosalind Franklin BMS office on May 3rd. Did not receive completion status e-mail. Accepted via e-mail May 21st. Hard copy of acceptance arrived today via US mail. Will mail in the $100 deposit tomorrow. Was going to apply to other SMPs this week but after being accepted here there is no need. My #1 choice over programs like Cincy and Tufts due to the facts that program is only 9 months and no thesis is required for degree. Am about 75% sure that I will attend.

Have heard people talking about getting on on campus housing waiting list. Any idea how I go about getting on it? Am already on waiting list at the Woodlands. I might not decide if program is for me until first week of classes at which point I can still get a 100% tuition refund, so I will probably drive out a couple of days before orientation (I'm about an 11 hr drive) and stay in an extended stay hotel that I found nearby for $45/night all in with AAA discount.

If I stay in the program which is likely, I'll look on Craigslist for roommates or just grab a 1 bedroom off campus apt in Lake Bluff, which I've heard is a very nice area and only about 3 miles from campus. Was wondering if any current students (BMS or MD) see any problem with this plan, like if it would be impossible to still find a 1bd apt in Lake Bluff for 1,000 or so a month ( which is what a google search told me they are). Thanks so much guys

Edit: stats posted earlier in thread but will repost. 3.35cGPA, 3.70BCPM, 3.75 post-bac GPA(prereqs), 30S MCAT. Gl to all waiting. Feels good to get an acceptance somewhere after having two MD interviews this past cycle and whiffing on both.=(

Have heard people talking about getting on on campus housing waiting list. Any idea how I go about getting on it? Am already on waiting list at the Woodlands. I might not decide if program is for me until first week of classes at which point I can still get a 100% tuition refund, so I will probably drive out a couple of days before orientation (I'm about an 11 hr drive) and stay in an extended stay hotel that I found nearby for $45/night all in with AAA discount.

Congrats on getting in. I'm more than likely going, too. Here's the link to campus housing: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/pro...nthousing/studenthousingapplication/form.aspx

Congrats on getting in. I'm more than likely going, too. Here's the link to campus housing: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/pro...nthousing/studenthousingapplication/form.aspx

Thanks sir/ ma'am!

I was worried since I applied so late. Do u think my plan is feasible out of curiosity? I'm gonna go out there for orientation, go to two days classes till I get my score on afternoon of August 13th, then decide by wednesday whether I'm staying (all depends on my score and I already know my cutoff). The deadline to buy the school health insurance is the following week (of the 18th) and first quarter's tuition is refundable through the end of first week's classes which is the 16th, so not worried about those two things, but housing is my only concern. As I said I'm gonna stay in an extended stay hotel within a 10 minute drive until I get my score (signing a 9 or 12 month lease beforehand would be very stupid obviously), but do you think ill be able to find nearby housing in lake bluff? Others in the thread mentioned and i confirmed via google that there's a half dozen private apartment complexes near the campus. I can't imagine they'd all be full by mid August?

Is it worth getting on the on campus housing waitlist? I mentioned that I'm on the woodlands WL, but I couldn't accept offers from either until I get my score and I'm sure all the units at both places will be gone by August 13th due to the fact that both are within walking distance.

Thanks sir/ ma'am!

I was worried since I applied so late. Do u think my plan is feasible out of curiosity? I'm gonna go out there for orientation, go to two days classes till I get my score on afternoon of August 13th, then decide by wednesday whether I'm staying (all depends on my score and I already know my cutoff). The deadline to buy the school health insurance is the following week (of the 18th) and first quarter's tuition is refundable through the end of first week's classes which is the 16th, so not worried about those two things, but housing is my only concern. As I said I'm gonna stay in an extended stay hotel within a 10 minute drive until I get my score (signing a 9 or 12 month lease beforehand would be very stupid obviously), but do you think ill be able to find nearby housing in lake bluff? Others in the thread mentioned and i confirmed via google that there's a half dozen private apartment complexes near the campus. I can't imagine they'd all be full by mid August?

Is it worth getting on the on campus housing waitlist? I mentioned that I'm on the woodlands WL, but I couldn't accept offers from either until I get my score and I'm sure all the units at both places will be gone by August 13th due to the fact that both are within walking distance.

I'm coming from California so I really couldn't tell you how the housing situation will play out after classes have started. I'd imagine you could find housing within a five mile range. Plenty of people have gone to school after getting off the waitlist during orientation so you should be okay. Honestly I think you'll be fine -- you should def quit worrying and rock that MCAT instead :)

If you get on campus housing's waitlist, you have just about 10 days to give a $500 deposit, so it wouldn't be too useful for you.

Thanks sir/ ma'am!

I think you should have a general idea of how you'll do on the mcat by doing practice tests. its very rare that someone whos getting 34+ will ever go below a 30, and the opposite is also true. its very rare someone averaging 25s and 26s will ever get above a 30 on the real thing. so thats something to consider as well. you could probably save yourself the long drive up to north chicago if you are averaging a high score on the practice tests...

I'm still really unsure about the MBS program because of cost. I would have to fund tuition and living expenses with loans. Apparently, subsidized loans for graduate/professional programs do not exist anymore... =[. By the time I'll pay the loans back, It'll be at least 7 years and the loan will probably be close to 1.75x the amount. How are you guys financing the BMS and do you guys believe it's really worth it?

I'm still really unsure about the MBS program because of cost. I would have to fund tuition and living expenses with loans. Apparently, subsidized loans for graduate/professional programs do not exist anymore... =[. By the time I'll pay the loans back, It'll be at least 7 years and the loan will probably be close to 1.75x the amount. How are you guys financing the BMS and do you guys believe it's really worth it?
welcome to the field of medicine...whats an extra 50k in loans on top of 200k. and you think you'll be able to pay off loans in 7 years??!?!? please tell me your secret haha. There are doctors who are still paying loans off 15 years after they graduated med school

Hello!

I'm a soon to be 3rd year at CMS and for those of you interested in housing...

We are subleasing a 2 BR/ 2 BA at Deer Valley Apartments in Lake Bluff- available July 1st with the option to renew! Super nice apartments and only a 5 minute drive to campus- conveniently close but far enough to get away from the stress of campus :)
Renovated last year so all new appliances and finishes- laundry IN UNIT!

Great for roommates (split layout) or perfect for a couple looking for some extra space! The apartment complex has a beautiful pool and a gym too, I really enjoyed living here. Maintenance is super attentive and I'm slightly OCD (aren't we all) so the apartment is spotless!

PM me for details!

Does anybody know when we hear back about financial aid? I also applied for the scholarship and I'm not sure when I should be hearing back about that. Do any former BMSers know when we find out about the scholarship and the amount of it?

Does anybody know when we hear back about financial aid? I also applied for the scholarship and I'm not sure when I should be hearing back about that. Do any former BMSers know when we find out about the scholarship and the amount of it?
Financial aid???? How about has anyone heard anything from the SCHOOL...haha

Ranking doesn't mean much. We've had a consistently excellent match list for the past few years.

What matters more are your board scores and your clinical rotations. RFU prepares students very well for the boards and our clinical rotations are as good as any other mid-tier school, save for the fact that they are spread out throughout the Chicagoland area.

So when we submit our AMCAS, do we apply to RFU CMS immediately or do we wait for anything?

So when we submit our AMCAS, do we apply to RFU CMS immediately or do we wait for anything?

Yes apply to CMS. I would hold off on submitting the secondary until school starts. They give you a code that you put when you submit your secondary which waves the fee. Feel free to work on it, however it will not make any difference if you submit the secondary now or when they give you the instructions on how to do it as they pull your application out and place in the BMS pile. If this coming up year is similar to last years than you will not even interview until January after returning from Winter Break. Just make sure everything is in before the deadlines they set. All of this information will be given to you when the program starts.

Waitlist people Im rooting for you I hope that you receive some news soon!

Yes apply to CMS. I would hold off on submitting the secondary until school starts. They give you a code that you put when you submit your secondary which waves the fee. Feel free to work on it, however it will not make any difference if you submit the secondary now or when they give you the instructions on how to do it as they pull your application out and place in the BMS pile. If this coming up year is similar to last years than you will not even interview until January after returning from Winter Break. Just make sure everything is in before the deadlines they set. All of this information will be given to you when the program starts.

Waitlist people Im rooting for you I hope that you receive some news soon!

Thank you :thumbup:

Financial aid???? How about has anyone heard anything from the SCHOOL...haha

Futuredoc27 I thought you got in already? For the rest of you on the waitlist best of luck, hope you are all joining in the fall. I've heard from past years that a significant amount of the class is from the waitlist!

Futuredoc27 I thought you got in already? For the rest of you on the waitlist best of luck, hope you are all joining in the fall. I've heard from past years that a significant amount of the class is from the waitlist!
I have gotten in...but after i received my acceptance letter in the mail, i havent heard a thing from the school except for the financial aid email. I had to call to make sure they received my deposit because i didn't hear anything from them...

Since it's approaching AMCAS submission time, I was wondering how many of you guys are applying to your state schools? Are you applying to other (out-of-state) schools as well?

I know secondaries and interviews will be tough while in BMS but on the off-chance that I get into my state school (CA resident over here) I would probably go there over CMS (save $100k+). I don't really see the point in applying to OOS schools since tuition runs in the same range once your out of state. What's everyone else doing?

Has anyone heard any stats on how many got into next year's CMS class from BMS?

Has anyone heard any stats on how many got into next year's CMS class from BMS?

A lot. Not sure of exact numbers but it seems as though the number of people that got in this year were similar to previous years. (The only difference this year was that acceptances were given out in three waves instead of the normal 1-2 waves.)

finally the June 1st deadline is here so they can start taking people off the waitlist

finally the June 1st deadline is here so they can start taking people off the waitlist

I think it will be another 3 weeks or so before they start looking at the waitlist as they have to process and accept any one that they like who submitted at or close to the deadline. Just means more waiting around..

Last edited:
I don't think I'll be bringing a car with me... Is it really difficult to get by without a car? also, do people get really bored from the very rural area?

I don't think I'll be bringing a car with me... Is it really difficult to get by without a car? also, do people get really bored from the very rural area?
just become friends with people who have cars!....like me! haha

I finished my application this week (was waiting on MCAT scores) and would love to go.

cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 28

Just nervous about having applied so late.

I finished my application this week (was waiting on MCAT scores) and would love to go.

cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.87
MCAT: 28

Just nervous about having applied so late.

You should be just fine.

Hey guys, if anyone is looking into off campus housing in Lake Buff or Lake Forest such as Forest Pointe Apartments let me know. I'm looking for a roommate for a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit.

Does anyone know if the waitlist is on rolling admissions as well? That is to say, do those that applied earlier in the cycle and got waitlisted have a better chance than those who applied later? Cause I applied in the beginning of May and I'm anxious to hear a final decision soon.

This probably sounds like a bummer, but all you can realistically do is wait and figure out what you'll do if things don't pan out. Reach that zen point until you find out so you don't die from cortisol poisoning.

I totally forgot to ask bc2a3's question when I called! Spoke to Brian today and was told that alternate list will be screened when spots become available... Such a vague description! He also mentioned that they received a bunch of application last minute. Being in the wait list blows!

Last edited:
Dropped application in mailbox ~5/22.
Accepted by email 5/30. No idea when they received my materials.

Have not sent in deposit yet (have 14 days), but there's a decent chance I'll attend.

3.3 uGPA/3.3 sGPA (top 15 school)

31R MCAT

Dropped application in mailbox ~5/22.
Accepted by email 5/30. No idea when they received my materials.

Have not sent in deposit yet (have 14 days), but there's a decent chance I'll attend.

3.3 uGPA/3.3 sGPA (top 15 school)

31R MCAT

Congrats on your acceptance!

Has anyone from the alternate list heard back yet?? I think it's odd how the admissions committee keeps saying that they will look at the alternate list when a spot becomes free, but they haven't taken anyone off yet. This seems worrying, seeing as how they accepted people from the alternate list before June. Should I be worried??