Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So.. I havent received an email about my application being completed or even in screening. However, I called them and she said everything was okay and an email should be sent out shortly. This was about a week and a half ago.. Something I should be worried about, or are they just slow to respond?

They are usually very slow to respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Previous BMS students,

What do you guys think about getting the molecular bio/ biochem lectures/notes and studying in advanced before the classes start?

Those are the easier classes and in addition, studying in advance wouldn't help much. You will have enough "free time" (less class time) to dedicate to those classes in the fall. In other words, there will be plenty of time to master the material come school time. Don't do anything now unless you are super bored.

Previous BMS students,

What do you guys think about getting the molecular bio/ biochem lectures/notes and studying in advanced before the classes start?

It's going to be a stressful year, so take the time to relax right now. Study your ass off when the program begins. A lot of us had to fight burning out because of the stress and amount of hours we studied. Just relax, hit the beach, read that book you've been wanting to, or just watch a tv series

Previous BMS students,

Man, I sure hope you get into your first choice, because if I have you as a BMS classmate, it's going to be a long year.

Reactions: 1 users
Man, I sure hope you get into your first choice, because if I have you as a BMS classmate, it's going to be a long year.
It's going to be a long year regardless of who your classmates are buddy. Every class is diverse with some people studying everyday and others studying the week before an exam. Get used to it. You're not in undergrad anymore.

Previous BMS students,

Just take the time to relax, like above posters said, you will have plenty of time to study up on the materials.

It's going to be a long year regardless of who your classmates are buddy. Every class is diverse with some people studying everyday and others studying the week before an exam. Get used to it. You're not in undergrad anymore.

I'm not your buddy. calm down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not your buddy. calm down.
I'm just saying that if you go in with that attitude then you will have a very long year because there are in fact many gunners in the program. With that being said it's not like you associate yourself with everyone all the time so its pretty easy to not let that affect you

I'm just saying that if you go in with that attitude then you will have a very long year because there are in fact many gunners in the program. With that being said it's not like you associate yourself with everyone all the time so its pretty easy to not let that affect you

It's not about being a gunner. That poster in particular always asks asinine questions over and over again the answers for which are self-evident. His/her last post was a repeat from previous discussions on the subject. His questions are naive, and I'm sure his personality matches.

moving forward.... what private schools besides CMS have BMS students been accepted to?

I'm most likely starting here in the fall! I think its still a great program and chose it over a couple others. I think it's worth it.

It's not about being a gunner. That poster in particular always asks asinine questions over and over again the answers for which are self-evident. His/her last post was a repeat from previous discussions on the subject. His questions are naive, and I'm sure his personality matches.
Your last few posts show that you can be a gunner. If you look at yourself your previous messages I'm sure you will agree that your personality matches.

Yeah you're one to judge a personality based on something every BMS student wants to know the questions to.

Those are the easier classes and in addition, studying in advance wouldn't help much. You will have enough "free time" (less class time) to dedicate to those classes in the fall. In other words, there will be plenty of time to master the material come school time. Don't do anything now unless you are super bored.

It's going to be a stressful year, so take the time to relax right now. Study your ass off when the program begins. A lot of us had to fight burning out because of the stress and amount of hours we studied. Just relax, hit the beach, read that book you've been wanting to, or just watch a tv series

Just take the time to relax, like above posters said, you will have plenty of time to study up on the materials.

Thank you guys!

Like Bev90 said, what other schools (public/private) besides CMS have BMS students been accepted to?

Thank you guys!

Like Bev90 said, what other schools (public/private) besides CMS have BMS students been accepted to?
people have gotten into loyola, LSU, UIC, howard, albany, arizona, yale (yeah i know lol), and then some are going to DO schools too

If you had to put a percentage on it - on average, of the 100 or so BMS students every year 1) what percent end up staying at CMS? 2) What percent go to other MD schools? 3) What percent go to DO schools 4) what percent don't get in anywhere?

Last edited:
There are no gunners in BMS. Unless you are saying studying a lot is gunner, but that should be expected considering this is a 1yr/$50000 gamble on one's self

If you had to put a percentage on it - on average, of the 100 or so BMS students every year 1) what percent end up staying at CMS? 2) What percent go to other MD schools? 3) What percent go to DO schools 4) what percent don't get in anywhere?
I personally know 4 people who didn't get in anywhere and are currently going over their options

There are no gunners in BMS. Unless you are saying studying a lot is gunner, but that should be expected considering this is a 1yr/$50000 gamble on one's self
If the class didn't have gunners, something would be wrong lol. there are at least 5 that i can think of off the top of my head.

oh yea, there was that one incident with the guy and the gunner telling on him for that thing. I wonder who did that anyway? Hopefully they got rejected

Sorry if this question has already been asked but do you guys know where to get access to old exams? Do any of you M1A students care to share? Thanks in advance!

any updates about wait listed BMS students to CMS? Did any get in yet?

To the above poster: the BMS director emailed us 2 weeks ago saying that all decisions from BMS were made aside from the maybe 10 or so on the waitlist. I just sent this same message to a "sdn friend" I've been messaging with regarding the program but at this point, the numbers from this years BMS aren't going to change much. Plus, would it really make you feel better if a few of them got in? It is what it is at this point. At this point, you pretty much have the "official" number give or take 2-3 students so just decide if the program is right for you and go for it!

Old exams aren't hard to get. The professors actually provide them for you so no need to "hunt" them down. They usually give the past 2 or three years exams. They are helpful indeed

Reactions: 1 user
To the above poster: the BMS director emailed us 2 weeks ago saying that all decisions from BMS were made aside from the maybe 10 or so on the waitlist. I just sent this same message to a "sdn friend" I've been messaging with regarding the program but at this point, the numbers from this years BMS aren't going to change much. Plus, would it really make you feel better if a few of them got in? It is what it is at this point. At this point, you pretty much have the "official" number give or take 2-3 students so just decide if the program is right for you and go for it!

Old exams aren't hard to get. The professors actually provide them for you so no need to "hunt" them down. They usually give the past 2 or three years exams. They are helpful indeed
I heard that after the 4th wave was accepted (at that point there was 52 accepted) they told some people that between 12-20 more BMSers would get accepted, so take that for what it's worth.

Oh ok. I was just referring to professor ribbons email she sent early June which stated that all BMS students heard back from admissions, and then everyone was saying that only 8-10 BMS students were waitlisted. But, as we all know, things are very hazy. Buckle up for that kind of year.'

Oh ok. I was just referring to professor ribbons email she sent early June which stated that all BMS students heard back from admissions, and then everyone was saying that only 8-10 BMS students were waitlisted. But, as we all know, things are very hazy. Buckle up for that kind of year.'
I also heard that around 10 to 15 will get off the waitlist from BMS depending on how many withdraw their acceptance at this point. Indeed Professor Riblion mentioned about some people being waitlisted but she never mentioned how many will get off and how many are waitlisted. However, according to Dr.Knott, historically, around 20 to 30 people get off the waitlist in June, July, and August from both BMS and external application pool (CMS applicant) combined and I don't know how many out of them are from BMS waitlist group but I doubt it's going to be 2 to 3.

I also heard that around 10 to 15 will get off the waitlist from BMS depending on how many withdraw their acceptance at this point. Indeed Professor Riblion mentioned about some people being waitlisted but she never mentioned how many will get off and how many are waitlisted. However, according to Dr.Knott, historically, around 20 to 30 people get off the waitlist in June, July, and August from both BMS and external application pool (CMS applicant) combined and I don't know how many out of them are from BMS waitlist group but I doubt it's going to be 2 to 3.
The number I heard for the # of BMS students waitlisted was 21. I don't know where the 8-10 number came from. But I heard 21 from someone in the BMS office

To me, it really depends on if I get off the waitlist or not lol If many people from the waitlist groups end up getting in, I'd recommend it to others. If not, the number of BMS accepted to CMS seems a lot lower than what I thought it'd be. We started off with 130 or more so 52/130 is less than 50%. Even the number of people who graduated was 107 and 52/107 is still below 50%.

It would depend if I get off the waitlist or not as well. I would recommend it if most/all of the BMSers who are currently waitlisted eventually get accepted. Then again, the new Admissions Chair & Committee might be looking to change the way they will accept students to CMS in future years. Thus, this would most likely make the RFU BMS program not have the forum "linkage prestige" that it did in the past.

Does anyone know if the BMS acceptance can be deferred for one year?

I don't think you can defer it, but having an extra year to apply to md programs could potentially save a ton of money if that's what you're thinking.

I don't think you can defer it, but having an extra year to apply to md programs could potentially save a ton of money if that's what you're thinking.
Can I join a DO program this fall, and still apply to MD programs in the upcoming cycle? Torn between DO offer and BMS, and time is running out.

Can I join a DO program this fall, and still apply to MD programs in the upcoming cycle? Torn between DO offer and BMS, and time is running out.

I'm not completely sure about this but, I think MD programs will be uninterested in a students who drops out of a doctorate program.

Hi everyone,

For the FAFSA application, does the BMS program requires all the students to answer questions about their parents on the application?

I have different feelings about bms everyday. So much up and down and speculation .

Torn between DO offer and BMS, and time is running out.

I have different feelings about bms everyday. So much up and down and speculation .

Same here. I've gone back and forth everyday for the past month - I've lost a ton of sleep over this decision. Nice to see others in the same boat.

DO is a sure thing, 5 years from now md and do difference will be irrelevant. Residency options are the same. Honestly, if I had a DO opportunity, I would never take a $50k gamble. Plus doing DO now means making money 1 year sooner. Just my 2 cents.

I have read a few times before that yes you can apply for md while in do. But you can not enter at advanced standing, so it'd be restarting. I'd say run with the DO program though, you'll be a year ahead and done with all this stress.

Since previous exams seem to be fair game, would you or another BMS graduate mind sharing the exams in one of the Facebook groups for those of us who want to see what the exams are like and what materials are covered. Atleast for the first quarter classes?? :)

Since previous exams seem to be fair game, would you or another BMS graduate mind sharing the exams in one of the Facebook groups for those of us who want to see what the exams are like and what materials are covered. Atleast for the first quarter classes?? :)
Moot point. There is no reason to see what the exams will look like now without having seen any of the material or how the professor teaches. Once school starts you will have access to so many exams (via M1as and M2s) that you won't even know what to do with them. Just relax and have fun this summer!

Moot point. There is no reason to see what the exams will look like now without having seen any of the material or how the professor teaches. Once school starts you will have access to so many exams (via M1as and M2s) that you won't even know what to do with them. Just relax and have fun this summer!

I've enjoyed my gap year a lot, but I'd like to somewhat get myself back in the grind. A lot of us have probably taken Biochem, Physio or Cell. It would be nice to see what material is tested so I have a better idea of what to freshen up on.

If I were you I would just take the DO offer and save myself the headache that is the BMS year. Unless you feel dead set on doing some super competitive residency like Derm, Plastic Surgery, ENT, etc. In that case BMS might be what you want to do to get the MD. Still, things could change quickly in the next 5 years for DOs and getting into competitive specialties might become much easier for them.

Also, here is a folder with examples of exam questions from each medical school class: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/itcdbw5fnoqbmf0/AAAbCSzMSXpYENE0yyIdQ1oBa

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users