Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if all three orientation sessions are mandatory? I have my last final on the first day of orientation and I have a mandatory graduation ceremony on the second day of orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if all three orientation sessions are mandatory? I have my last final on the first day of orientation and I have a mandatory graduation ceremony on the second day of orientation.

It says mandatory, but there was a thing somewhere that you can get an exemption for unavoidable circumstances I think by emailing the orientation people.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to all wonderful people of BMS :)

So I am now in a position that I have to make an important decision and I would love to hear your advice. When I applied to BMS, I had a MCAT score of 30 (11PS/7VR/12BS) with a 7 in VR, which most people told me would kill my application to medical schools. About a month ago, I retook the MCAT and I ended up with a 33(12PS,10VR,11BS). Now I do not know if I should still attend BMS to be safe or I should save myself the tuition fee and wait to see if I get into an MD school this cycle now that I have a better MCAT score.
My greatest fear is to give up BMS and not get accepted in a medical school!
What would you do if you were in my position?
In the worth case, if I do not attend BMS this year and do not get into a medical school, do you think if I reapply to BMS next year, can I get accepted again?

So I am now in a position that I have to make an important decision and I would love to hear your advice. When I applied to BMS, I had a MCAT score of 30 (11PS/7VR/12BS) with a 7 in VR, which most people told me would kill my application to medical schools. About a month ago, I retook the MCAT and I ended up with a 33(12PS,10VR,11BS). Now I do not know if I should still attend BMS to be safe or I should save myself the tuition fee and wait to see if I get into an MD school this cycle now that I have a better MCAT score.
In the worth case, if I do not attend BMS this year and do not get into a medical school, do you think if I reapply to BMS next year, can I get accepted again?

I know 43k is a lot of money but, doing the program with your stats will for SURE get you into medical schools; not just RFU but, it will increase your chances with others, as well. Also, you can be motivated to do the BMS route because if you do choose to go to RFU, you'll have advance standing. That's just me though. I would like to play things safe.

We have similar stats, I'm going for the insurance.

Are bms students still guaranteed an interview?

I know 43k is a lot of money but, doing the program with your stats will for SURE get you into medical schools; not just RFU but, it will increase your chances with others, as well. Also, you can be motivated to do the BMS route because if you do choose to go to RFU, you'll have advance standing. That's just me though. I would like to play things safe.

We have similar stats, I'm going for the insurance.

While it's good to be confident, there is no longer a "for SURE" thing or "insurance." About a week before school got out, several people were telling BMS applicants things like "yeah I'm not nervous, I have a good MCAT" or "I got some As in the program, I'll for sure get in" and then didn't. I'm very much pro-bms but just don't be one of those people who still assume that finishing BMS will guarentee your acceptance here. Again, close to 50% of this years class didn't get in and some of those people had good mcats. This isn't to discourage, merely to help you all shy away from feeling safe until you actually have that acceptance.

While it's good to be confident, there is no longer a "for SURE" thing or "insurance." About a week before school got out, several people were telling BMS applicants things like "yeah I'm not nervous, I have a good MCAT" or "I got some As in the program, I'll for sure get in" and then didn't. I'm very much pro-bms but just don't be one of those people who still assume that finishing BMS will guarantee your acceptance here. Again, close to 50% of this years class didn't get in and some of those people had good mcats. This isn't to discourage, merely to help you all shy away from feeling safe until you actually have that acceptance.

There has never been a "for sure thing" for any of the SMP programs. We are all doing it because medicine is the most competitive field to get into and we're all looking to increase our odds. Assuming all other parts of our application stays constant, the one with the SMP behind their back has better chances.

I know a guy with a very VERY good gpa but a 26 mcat, including a 6 in verbal. He got into UIC med and Rosalind franklin. soooo I think you're fine.

Hey everybody, I need some advice.

I'm an incoming BMS student and have a sub 3.0 cGPA/sGPA and a 29 MCAT. Is it even worth it to apply broadly to other schools this cycle? I already know CMS is my best shot... I feel like I'll just get screened out by every other school I apply to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Similar boat here. I'm going to apply to a few others. If I have to do the application, I may as well give it a shot.

Similar boat here. I'm going to apply to a few others. If I have to do the application, I may as well give it a shot.

I was thinking the same. Are there any schools in particular BMS students are encouraged to apply to? I was thinking other host schools with an SMP program would be a start, as well as a few of the IL schools that may be familiar with the BMS program. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to believe that getting the BMS masters degree would increase my chances for other medical schools as well until I heard some people saying that this masters does not make your application stronger for other school. I don't know how accurate this is.

Did those of you who have just finished college submit updated/final transcripts? I've been looking for information about where to send them and can't find anything.

Did those of you who have just finished college submit updated/final transcripts? I've been looking for information about where to send them and can't find anything.

I would have imagined that those need to be sent to the admissions office. In an unlikely event that it was meant to be sent elsewhere, the office would have done the appropriate transfer of the document.

I was thinking the same. Are there any schools in particular BMS students are encouraged to apply to? I was thinking other host schools with an SMP program would be a start, as well as a few of the IL schools that may be familiar with the BMS program. What do you think?
There really are no schools that will give you an edge on other applicants because you are doing an SMP program. I would recommend you apply to schools at which you think you may have a shot at with your statistics. For one, apply to your state schools. Other than that it all depends on your stats. I think its pretty obvious that everyone in this program had some sort of deficiency in their application which is why they are here in the first place. However, apply broadly to MD schools and even to DO schools because after this year who knows what exactly they will be doing.

My advice for what it's worth. Just do the program. You'll likely get accepted to another MD school during the semester. And then just drop out of BMS making sure your acceptance isn't contingent on graduation; acceptances usually aren't. You'll lose like $ 15,000 but so what.

Yes, it all makes sense, but you should also keep in mind that you are an international student (if I remember it correctly). You will be surprised to find your peers with some higher MCAT scores doing the BMS. Having said that, I believe BMS could be a game-changer for international students in particular.

I can personally assure you that international students who have good stats and perform well in CMS courses got accepted, even though they still require an F-1 visa. That's not so common, my friend, unless you're a Canadian.

Yes, it all makes sense, but you should also keep in mind that you are an international student (if I remember it correctly). You will be surprised to find your peers with some higher MCAT scores doing the BMS. Having said that, I believe BMS could be a game-changer for international students in particular.

I can personally assure you that international students who have good stats and perform well in CMS courses got accepted, even though they still require an F-1 visa. That's not so common, my friend, unless you're a Canadian.
That is true, wow, you remembered correctly! However, my immigration status changed to permanent residency few month ago and that is why I have doubts about attending the program. If I was still an international student, I would attend the program with no questions asked, because I experienced how impossible it is for international students to get into a MD program in the US.

My advice for what it's worth. Just do the program. You'll likely get accepted to another MD school during the semester. And then just drop out of BMS making sure your acceptance isn't contingent on graduation; acceptances usually aren't. You'll lose like $ 15,000 but so what.
That is a smart idea for saving tuition money, but wouldn't it look bad on the resume if someone drops out of a masters program in the middle of the way? Have you heard other BMS students do the same?

So I think everyone should be receiving a letter from RFUMS stating the amount of BMS tuition and its due date. So how are we supposed to pay the tuition by August 8 while we still have not received financial aid packages? How can we know how much of the tuition is going to be covered by grants or scholarships?

So I think everyone should be receiving a letter from RFUMS stating the amount of BMS tuition and its due date. So how are we supposed to pay the tuition by August 8 while we still have not received financial aid packages? How can we know how much of the tuition is going to be covered by grants or scholarships?
I was wondering the same thing. Ever since I put down my deposit, I haven't received any e-mails other than the confirmation letter. Are we suppose to receive something for immunization and criminal background check?

I would not expect much at all in grants or scholarships.

That is a smart idea for saving tuition money, but wouldn't it look bad on the resume if someone drops out of a masters program in the middle of the way? Have you heard other BMS students do the same?

Dropping out of BMS wouldn't look bad if you got accepted to med school; I mean, there wouldn't be any purpose to finishing it.

You guys should be getting your immunization and background check emails if you haven't already. If you want to prepare beforehand, you need a TB test within the last year, a recent tetanus / diphteria booster, and you need titers for MMR and Hep B, no exceptions to the titer.

You also need a physical exam from a doctor, RN, or PA. There's a form that that the doctor has to fill out, so you might need to wait for that email before getting the physical.

It's a pain in the ass, I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I just got my bill. Even with financial aid, i owe a couple grand. damn.

The bill subtracts the financial award estimate I received / will receive. Is that what you're asking?
That is exactly what I was looking for. My financial awards are not listed on my bill!

That is exactly what I was looking for. My financial awards are not listed on my bill!

If you haven't received your financial award yet, then it's not going to show up on the bill. Give it some time. Aug. 8 is a soft deadline; i wouldn't worry too much if you overextend it as long as you give notice.

Basically if I remember correctly, all that stuff is going to your RFU emails (which obviously you guys haven't gotten yet). I think you guys will have until the end of the orientation week to pay it. I could be wrong though, maybe another BMS student can chime in.

As for dropping the program because you got into another med school. There were many people who did it last year in order to save some money. It will not look bad because in the end this MS degree means squat. And if med school accept you during the year, they did because of your AMCAS, not your BMS program and the grades you get here.

Also I'm kind of surprised you need titers. Maybe they changed it for this year but I know that last year we didn't have to get titers and only needed proof for the immunizations. But you guys can go to the orientation website to get more details on all these things.

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/campuslife/Orientation.aspx

Basically if I remember correctly, all that stuff is going to your RFU emails (which obviously you guys haven't gotten yet). I think you guys will have until the end of the orientation week to pay it. I could be wrong though, maybe another BMS student can chime in.

As for dropping the program because you got into another med school. There were many people who did it last year in order to save some money. It will not look bad because in the end this MS degree means squat. And if med school accept you during the year, they did because of your AMCAS, not your BMS program and the grades you get here.

Also I'm kind of surprised you need titers. Maybe they changed it for this year but I know that last year we didn't have to get titers and only needed proof for the immunizations. But you guys can go to the orientation website to get more details on all these things.

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/campuslife/Orientation.aspx

Yeah the titer requirement is bothersome. Someone in your class must have tested positive for Hep B or something. Immunizations aren't 100%.

How did you get your bill? Through email? Mail?

I got mine through the mail. It's not a bill per se, but just notice of what you owe / will owe. I see that if the bill isn't paid by Aug 8, they put a 1.5% penalty. Not too bad if you're late with payment.

That is true, wow, you remembered correctly! However, my immigration status changed to permanent residency few month ago and that is why I have doubts about attending the program. If I was still an international student, I would attend the program with no questions asked, because I experienced how impossible it is for international students to get into a MD program in the US.

What a great news!! I personally envy you my friend lol. Anyways, I am sure that you will make a wise decision and wish you all the best!

I just retook the MCAT on Friday. Wasn't that bad. There's 4 more test dates before school starts. Something to consider for us CMS hopefuls.

What a great news!! I personally envy you my friend lol. Anyways, I am sure that you will make a wise decision and wish you all the best!

Quite a few BMS have gotten into CMS off the waitlist. I think the cause for concern we all had a few months back are a bit alleviated. If some of you are having doubts about BMS , it shouldn't be bc of any linkage issues, in my opinion.

I will start this message the same way I start all of my posts on here. This isn't to discourage any of you, it's just to be realistic. For those of you who committed to BMS, good luck! I do hope it helps get you into a medical school.

That being said, unless the above poster knows something else, I believe only a few BMS students were accepted off the waitlist. The number is still less than 60 which is still hugging the 50-55% linkage rate. The fact of the matter is that things DID indeed change this year because of a new admissions chair etc. I don't have any contact with anyone from admissions but it does appear that the days of 70%+ linkage are over. I say this to caution people like @smpbound from thinking that things haven't changed just because a few BMS students were fortunate enough in August and were accepted off the waitlist. BMS is a stressful year and I think a healthy amount of "nervousness" and knowing that you are very much working to gain admission actually helps. People who relied on a high linkage were the ones who got screwed because they were a little too relaxed and thought that they were already CMS students. I just felt I wanted to post because I saw some of my friends last year already assuming they would be accepted because they got A's in the fall and then ended up being rejected. The year starts out fairly slow so just do yourselves all a favor a and use all the uncertainty to your advantage and study your butts off. The numbers may be much lower but I do believe that BMS is a good way to show you can handle med school level courses. Quite a few students didn't get into CMS this year but are still going to other med Schools too!

hey everyone, I just sneaked in off the waiting list (3.26cgpa, 2.9sgpa, 24 MCAT) and I also got accepted into Rutgers Piscataway Biomedical Sciences program however, I'm indifferent. I would like to have anyone's opinion. I am leaning towards RFU but based on cost, and rescheduling the MCAT...Rutgers seems more convenient. Any advice is more than welcome.

Finally just got my CMS acceptance email off the waitlist. This a lifelong dream come true!!!! All of this waiting has paid off. I'm in total shock and tears right now! :DD
I'll see you BMSers and M1A's in a few weeks!

Let me know if anyone has any other questions or concerns, I'll be happy to answer them here or via PM.

Reactions: 3 users
I will start this message the same way I start all of my posts on here. This isn't to discourage any of you, it's just to be realistic. For those of you who committed to BMS, good luck! I do hope it helps get you into a medical school.

That being said, unless the above poster knows something else, I believe only a few BMS students were accepted off the waitlist. The number is still less than 60 which is still hugging the 50-55% linkage rate. The fact of the matter is that things DID indeed change this year because of a new admissions chair etc. I don't have any contact with anyone from admissions but it does appear that the days of 70%+ linkage are over. I say this to caution people like @smpbound from thinking that things haven't changed just because a few BMS students were fortunate enough in August and were accepted off the waitlist. BMS is a stressful year and I think a healthy amount of "nervousness" and knowing that you are very much working to gain admission actually helps. People who relied on a high linkage were the ones who got screwed because they were a little too relaxed and thought that they were already CMS students. I just felt I wanted to post because I saw some of my friends last year already assuming they would be accepted because they got A's in the fall and then ended up being rejected. The year starts out fairly slow so just do yourselves all a favor a and use all the uncertainty to your advantage and study your butts off. The numbers may be much lower but I do believe that BMS is a good way to show you can handle med school level courses. Quite a few students didn't get into CMS this year but are still going to other med Schools too!

why do you think ur friends who got As in the fall got rejected? did they do bad in the later courses?

i posted in bms 2015-2016 but any input would be highly appreciated..
Hey guys long time lurker on BMS forums for while, I really could use some help, it would be much appreciated!!!! please help!.... I graduated USC with biology degree last spring and finishing up my last ochem and another class curently this fall. Because the last mcats for january are filled, i would be taking the next earliest May22 mcat2015 which the mcat website says scores will be released june30 2015. I want to call BMS tomorrow so tlak about my situation but basically I would be applying with ~3.4gpa ~3.2sgpa with very extensive research, volunteer, shadow and 2 publications in march but won't have mcat turned in before june30. I will be applying MD/DO in june but want s to start Bms 2015 so at least durign the year i have applied i can do this program because I really would like to attend CMS. So ... Do i still have a shot at starting BMS 2015 considering my late mcat submission..maybe off a waitlist? would BMS admissions see that because of late mcat dates some people will have this same problem??? Thanks !!!!!!

i posted in bms 2015-2016 but any input would be highly appreciated..
Hey guys long time lurker on BMS forums for while, I really could use some help, it would be much appreciated!!!! please help!.... I graduated USC with biology degree last spring and finishing up my last ochem and another class curently this fall. Because the last mcats for january are filled, i would be taking the next earliest May22 mcat2015 which the mcat website says scores will be released june30 2015. I want to call BMS tomorrow so tlak about my situation but basically I would be applying with ~3.4gpa ~3.2sgpa with very extensive research, volunteer, shadow and 2 publications in march but won't have mcat turned in before june30. I will be applying MD/DO in june but want s to start Bms 2015 so at least durign the year i have applied i can do this program because I really would like to attend CMS. So ... Do i still have a shot at starting BMS 2015 considering my late mcat submission..maybe off a waitlist? would BMS admissions see that because of late mcat dates some people will have this same problem??? Thanks !!!!!!

If your MCAT is not on file before the deadline (which is usually June 2 I believe?) they will not consider your application. Either take your MCAT earlier, take a gap year, or take the GRE and apply with that. I was accepted to BMS with the GRE (I only studied for a week, and did well) and then added my MCAT scores later.

No you shouldn't apply here if being a permanent resident doesn't put you at a significant disadvantage. 3.9 sgpa and bcpm, 33 mcat w/ volunteering and research. A US applicant doing an smp with those stats would be called crazy.

so what was the FINAL COUNT on BMS students going to a medical school from this program the latest year.??? i read some got off waitlist
... how many got accepted and Matriculated into CMS or some other MD total..??? thanks!

so what was the FINAL COUNT on BMS students going to a medical school from this program the latest year.??? i read some got off waitlist
... how many got accepted and Matriculated into CMS or some other MD total..??? thanks!
The number I was told during orientation was 63

The number I was told during orientation was 63

thanks!! @addieu345 i appreciate it, so in total it was 63/107 roughly 58%, so i guess the days of 70%+ are over but over half isn't that bad i guess considering all the circumstances,
would you say the best way to align yourself with a CMS acceptance is too have all your ducks in a row with AMCAS statements/LOR/ec's/scoring well on MCAT and focus on doing well in program solely for the undegrad gpa redemption?

63/102 was what I was told.

And yes you are correct.

I just want to highlight that at the end of the day this program is still a gamble, a very large gamble.
I could go on for hours about this program, but my opinions are pretty much in line with others who have posted on this thread.