Rosalind Franklin BMS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should we attend BMS?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • NO

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Guys,

For RFUCAS under experiences section did u guys just list your experience like one does for a resume with short descriptions or did you write out paragraphs essay style for everything? Thanks!
I actually listed everything w/ bullet points. Because of the max character count, I wasn't able to fit everything that was on my CV, so I only kept what I thought was most significant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
could you elaborate on 'year-long interview'? it sounds awful - i'm gonna get real tired of people kissing ass for 10 months of the year.
I thought CMS did MMI interviews now which should have less bias when it comes to evaluating applicants during the interview?

It shouldn't sound awful. The point is, this is a small school. Professors generally know who you are, and what program you're in. One of our directors made the statement that "somehow... everyone knows you're a BMSer." So don't be a jerk, don't be arrogant, don't be aggressive or rude. Be courteous and positive when you're on campus.

I'm not saying accidentally dropping an F-bomb in the halls when a prof rounds the corner, or bothering a prof for help occasionally will = game over. But if you are consistently unreliable, annoying or aggressive and the wrong people hear about it, that is probably not gonna help you. NOR am I saying you should kiss ass. That's probably just as bad/annoying to professors (who are not idiots).

And to your point about MMI being less biased - yes and no. The system is set up to be less biased, but the people that interview you are still human beings. And many of them may be professors or other staff at RFUMS. What happens if you get a person you pissed off? Or who overheard you talking about how "unfair and awful an instructor Dr. _____ is" Will they be able to think 100% objectively? Why risk it?

Just use common sense, and don't give them a reason not to take you.

Oh, and a general piece of advice if you come to this program- Rumors spread like wildfire. Don't bother with them, it's really not worth it. They are almost always nonsense. Keep your head down, study and look out for that email that decides your fate :p

Reactions: 2 users
In regards to stats I'll tell you what I always heard going into the program, If you had good enough stats/AMCAS stuff to get into BMS, you have good enough stats to get into CMS. If you do well, meaning getting at least high B's in all your classes, you will more likely than not get into CMS

I (mostly) agree with that statement. If you get in with bottomed out stats, and get straight A's (or As and high Bs) nobody is gonna say you're not good enough. But if you do mediocre before... and mediocre here..... I'm not so sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
that
It shouldn't sound awful. The point is, this is a small school. Professors generally know who you are, and what program you're in. One of our directors made the statement that "somehow... everyone knows you're a BMSer." So don't be a jerk, don't be arrogant, don't be aggressive or rude. Be courteous and positive when you're on campus.

I'm not saying accidentally dropping an F-bomb in the halls when a prof rounds the corner, or bothering a prof for help occasionally will = game over. But if you are consistently unreliable, annoying or aggressive and the wrong people hear about it, that is probably not gonna help you. NOR am I saying you should kiss ass. That's probably just as bad/annoying to professors (who are not idiots).

And to your point about MMI being less biased - yes and no. The system is set up to be less biased, but the people that interview you are still human beings. And many of them may be professors or other staff at RFUMS. What happens if you get a person you pissed off? Or who overheard you talking about how "unfair and awful an instructor Dr. _____ is" Will they be able to think 100% objectively? Why risk it?

Just use common sense, and don't give them a reason not to take you.

Oh, and a general piece of advice if you come to this program- Rumors spread like wildfire. Don't bother with them, it's really not worth it. They are almost always nonsense. Keep your head down, study and look out for that email that decides your fate :p
that sounds good, nothing of concern there then.
also i thought we were done with rumor wildfires back in high school *rolls eyes*

I (mostly) agree with that statement. If you get in with bottomed out stats, and get straight A's (or As and high Bs) nobody is gonna say you're not good enough. But if you do mediocre before... and mediocre here..... I'm not so sure.

Exactly. I think what it means is that if you get into BMS you have the potential to get into CMS, but I'm sure the threshold (grades) is not the same for everyone. An applicant with a relatively strong AMCAS might be able to get away with slightly weaker BMS grades, and vice versa. (I'm being intentionally vague because I have no idea what the actual values might be.) In general, the program exists for people with some deficiency in their application, so most people have something about their AMCAS that is weak, so most people won't be able to get away with mediocre grades. You're trying to prove that you can excel, to show that your previous record is not indicative of your current ability. Shooting for A's is good advice for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
that

that sounds good, nothing of concern there then.
also i thought we were done with rumor wildfires back in high school *rolls eyes*

@lithiumforce described the year long interview relatively well. It's not stressful, you're not under a microscope 24/7, but you should try to act professional and be generally likable on campus. Like Lithium said, why risk it?

The rumor stuff is true though. Pretty hilarious. You'll just learn to ignore them or take everything with a grain of salt. The only thing you can directly control is how hard you work and what you do. Don't worry about what other people say they're doing and focus on what works for you. It'll save you a lot of stress, even beyond BMS.

Reactions: 3 users
What're your opinions on on campus vs off campus housing? I figure I should go with the cheapest option, which would be... off campus housing it seems?
I plan on sharing a 2 bedroom unit. The floor plants for 2 bedroom units at Woodlands look pretty nice, separate bedrooms and bathrooms. What more could I ask for :p
also, will I need a car for grocery shopping, etc? If I do need one, I could rent a zipcar for 8.50 an hour. Two hours out would be 17.. carpooling with another student could half that price?

Last edited:
What're your opinions on on campus vs off campus housing? I figure I should go with the cheapest option, which would be... off campus housing it seems?
I plan on sharing a 2 bedroom unit. The floor plants for 2 bedroom units at Woodlands look pretty nice, separate bedrooms and bathrooms. What more could I ask for :p
also, will I need a car for grocery shopping, etc? If I do need one, I could rent a zipcar for 8.50 an hour. Two hours out would be 17.. carpooling with another student could half that price?

Woodlands or on-campus housing by far the most convenient. You never know when a freight train or snow storm will cause you to be late (or your alarm clock), something you absolutely cannot afford to have happen on an exam as you will not get extra time. It saved me once when I got woken up 45 minutes into an exam and still made it in time to finish. I haven't seen the inside of campus housing, I imagine it's like a normal college dorm, but the Woodlands is where it's at for convenience IMO, but I couldn't stand the idea of living in a dorm again. Do consider, I think it's 10 vs 12 mo leases for campus vs woodlands as well, so that is worth thinking about too and campus really only has breakfast and lunch (closes at like 130pm) M-F.

There are no grocery stores (or much of anything for that matter) within walking distance, and AFAIK the PACE bus is pretty useless for grocery shopping (unless you like spending hours on public transit for a ten minute car ride). You either 1) have to have a car, or 2) make friends/room with someone that has a car. I know I would have gone crazy without mine, but there will certainly be classmates willing to help you out if you don't.

Also I'm pretty sure we do NOT have ZipCar on campus... Or at least I haven't seen one (nor do I see it mentioned on the RFUMS website), so you're down to bumming or cabbing if you don't bring your own.

Hey guys under the Experiences Tab did you guys list employment as well? Or do we just leave that for the Resume. Thank you.

Hi here's my unsolicited advice from someone who did the program and later dropped out... IMO it's really hard. Esp if you are a non-trad coming from a non-science background (me). I am not saying don't do it, but HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. I applied for DO schools at the same time as MD, right before I entered this program. YOU SHOULD DO THAT. I left the program after getting into another medical school, but I know of a few people who had to drop this program (i.e. failed out) WITHOUT having gotten into another medical school. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU. Cover all your bases. Absolutely apply to D.O. schools before you even start classes. Also MCAT has pretty much nothing to do with how you'll do in this program. I got above a 30 and this program kicked my a**. Hopefully that will make a lot of you feel better. Many of my fellow classmates with lower MCATs did much better than me in class. But also plenty of people (presumably regardless of MCAT) failed an exam (I know this because they put you in group tutoring if you fail or come very close to failing an exam). So just have a backup plan and be smart about this.

PS if you're a non-trad with a liberal arts background I suggest using Anki, digital flashcard thing. My mistake was initially trying to study for classes like I studied for the MCAT or my undergrad courses, all hippie-like and drawing things. There is a crap ton of memorization no matter what anyone says. Yes, even for the classes that require "understanding" you still have to memorize ****everything**** on top of critical thinking. I thought I was good at memorizing until I did the BMS program. Some of my classmates could read something a couple times and just know it but alas. Not everyone is like that.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi here's my unsolicited advice from someone who did the program and later dropped out... IMO it's really hard. Esp if you are a non-trad coming from a non-science background (me). I am not saying don't do it, but HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. I applied for DO schools at the same time as MD, right before I entered this program. YOU SHOULD DO THAT. I left the program after getting into another medical school, but I know of a few people who had to drop this program (i.e. failed out) WITHOUT having gotten into another medical school. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU. Cover all your bases. Absolutely apply to D.O. schools before you even start classes. Also MCAT has pretty much nothing to do with how you'll do in this program. I got above a 30 and this program kicked my a**. Hopefully that will make a lot of you feel better. Many of my fellow classmates with lower MCATs did much better than me in class. But also plenty of people (presumably regardless of MCAT) failed an exam (I know this because they put you in group tutoring if you fail or come very close to failing an exam). So just have a backup plan and be smart about this.

PS if you're a non-trad with a liberal arts background I suggest using Anki, digital flashcard thing. My mistake was initially trying to study for classes like I studied for the MCAT or my undergrad courses, all hippie-like and drawing things. There is a crap ton of memorization no matter what anyone says. Yes, even for the classes that require "understanding" you still have to memorize ****everything**** on top of critical thinking. I thought I was good at memorizing until I did the BMS program. Some of my classmates could read something a couple times and just know it but alas. Not everyone is like that.
Just to add my 0.02$ to some of this; I'm not from a non-science background so I can't compare directly with crazy87, but I will say I mostly agree:

- the MCAT is probably not a strong correlation to your grades here. I personally did (imo) quite well on the MCAT, and there are people who tanked it above and below me. Keep in mind, most of us did the "old" MCAT. However there are people with high science gpas above and below me as well - so there is usually no way to predict how you'll do based on your past.

- there is definitely value in having a plan B. I didn't have one set in stone, but I had a general backup plan. Depending on how much time you are willing to "sacrifice", you can plan accordingly. For example, if you don't mind taking a gap year between BMS and "not CMS" you can apply in the next cycle to your backup choices. Depends on personal preferences, how young you are/how old you're willing to start, financial factors, etc. I will say this: do not fool around with too many applications/administrative stuff during the year. It is a stressful year, and you will be preoccupied. Get it out of the way in Summer and/or holidays. I hated everything to do with applications, so I got my AMCAS and as many secondaries as I could out of the way before I started here.

- there is a lot of memorization... but I think it's doable. You have to dedicate the entirety of this year to studying anyways. Does it suck? Yes. But if you get in... it's worth it. (NB: I'm not implying crazy87 or anyone else *didn't* dedicate their year to studying)

-There are a ton of resources and strategies at your disposal here. There are tutors/TA's, professors will (generally) always help you, and of course if you find a good group of friends to study with, less material slips through the cracks.

-Oh.. and this is not necessarily relevant, but failing an exam doesn't = game over. I failed an exam. Most people do quite poorly on at least one exam in one subject, but obviously do NOT put yourself in that situation, and if you end up there, use all your resources and fix the problem ASAP. But it's not over until it's over.

LF

Thanks for the advice people!

I'm in the process of preparing my AMCAS application. I've never written AMCAS or any med school applications before so hopefully this goes well and my application doesn't read like ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
- there is definitely value in having a plan B. I didn't have one set in stone, but I had a general backup plan. Depending on how much time you are willing to "sacrifice", you can plan accordingly. For example, if you don't mind taking a gap year between BMS and "not CMS" you can apply in the next cycle to your backup choices. Depends on personal preferences, how young you are/how old you're willing to start, financial factors, etc.

I just want the incoming students to know that it IS about timing, IMO. If they go to this program and then start getting B's and C's (or worse) and don't have a backup plan set in place for that next year (i.e., applying aggressively to D.O. schools the summer before BMS), then it's going to make getting in to any other medical school (including D.O.) with a gap year that much harder with those grades on your record. Your example of a gap year between BMS and CMS (or other med school) would work IF the person did very well in BMS and then didn't get into CMS. But what if they don't do well in BMS? There are a lot of variables. I am not one to rush the process of applying at all (I waited like 4 years after starting my pre-reqs to finally apply, doing relevant jobs, studying, and taking my time to make sure I had a competitive app) but this is strategic timing that I think is really important.

Hey, is there a facebook group for any of the accepted students for the 15-16 school year?

I just want the incoming students to know that it IS about timing, IMO. If they go to this program and then start getting B's and C's (or worse) and don't have a backup plan set in place for that next year (i.e., applying aggressively to D.O. schools the summer before BMS), then it's going to make getting in to any other medical school (including D.O.) with a gap year that much harder with those grades on your record. Your example of a gap year between BMS and CMS (or other med school) would work IF the person did very well in BMS and then didn't get into CMS. But what if they don't do well in BMS? There are a lot of variables. I am not one to rush the process of applying at all (I waited like 4 years after starting my pre-reqs to finally apply, doing relevant jobs, studying, and taking my time to make sure I had a competitive app) but this is strategic timing that I think is really important.
That's a fair point. I guess my situation was a little more unique so that I had that freedom. Also, my plan B was NOT D.O. schools. I was planning to go Carribs. Which has a different flexibility. Also, I abhor applications. Takes me weeks to come up with an answer to some secondaries :(

'Pologies.

-lf

Hello Everyone!

My name is Patrick and I applied to RF BMS program about 2 months ago.

I wanted to know if anyone had a good idea of when applicants hear back from the school? And maybe how they hear back? Either E mail, phone, or post mail?

If anyone has any information on this I would very much appreciate hearing about it!!

Thank you so much

Hello Everyone!

I wanted to know if anyone had a good idea of when applicants hear back from the school? And maybe how they hear back? Either E mail, phone, or post mail?

If anyone has any information on this I would very much appreciate hearing about it!!

Thank you so much
I got a phone call

Hello Everyone!

Thank you so much
It was a little less than a month from the time I submitted to the time I got my acceptance (phone call from Dr. Riblon and then email later that morning).

Hey Guys.

I know the previous post touched on a timeline, but I kinda wanted to build on that and ask those who have been accepted or rejected, so based on previous posts in the thread the first email you get is from RFUCAS saying you are verified. Then you get an email from RFU saying they received the app and are going to verify it. What is the next step from here do you get an email saying the app is complete from RFU? Do you also get an email saying if its under review or is it just quiet until you get a notification of acceptance or rejection.

Hey Guys.

I know the previous post touched on a timeline, but I kinda wanted to build on that and ask those who have been accepted or rejected, so based on previous posts in the thread the first email you get is from RFUCAS saying you are verified. Then you get an email from RFU saying they received the app and are going to verify it. What is the next step from here do you get an email saying the app is complete from RFU? Do you also get an email saying if its under review or is it just quiet until you get a notification of acceptance or rejection.
You will get an email saying you are complete and that you will recieve a decision in 4-6 weeks.

Hi everyone! I was just accepted to the RF program, but I am also strongly considering the Loyola MAMS program as well. Is anyone else considering these two programs, and if so, do you have any insights on how you're making your decision? I know RF has great linkage and the opportunity to take actual medical school classes in the BMS program, but I also have heard from a recent student that Loyola has great support and resources for the application process (not to mention a fantastic med school acceptance rate of their own). Any thoughts would be great, thanks!!

Hi everyone! I was just accepted to the RF program, but I am also strongly considering the Loyola MAMS program as well. Is anyone else considering these two programs, and if so, do you have any insights on how you're making your decision? I know RF has great linkage and the opportunity to take actual medical school classes in the BMS program, but I also have heard from a recent student that Loyola has great support and resources for the application process (not to mention a fantastic med school acceptance rate of their own). Any thoughts would be great, thanks!!

I was considering these two programs last year and it really depends on the strength of your application and where you would prefer to go to medical school. Traditionally, students who attend BMS at RFU go to CMS (RFU's medical school), whereas Loyola MAMS students go to many different schools. Loyola students usually apply the cycle following completion of coursework, which would require another gap year.

hey all, how similar was your BMS personal statement to your AMCAS personal statement? I'm working on my AMCAS essay and it's basically just a shorter version :p

I think I remember reading in last year's thread that people submitted the same essay for both apps?

hey all, how similar was your BMS personal statement to your AMCAS personal statement? I'm working on my AMCAS essay and it's basically just a shorter version :p

I think I remember reading in last year's thread that people submitted the same essay for both apps?
My BMS PS is a LOT different from my med school personal statement. My BMS talked a lot about why my grades sucked, and my PS for medical schools focus a lot more on why I want to go into medicine. I didn't go nearly as deep into that on my BMS PS.

Great question, could we get some input from current BMS/M1s? here's some love to everyone contributing to this thread :biglove:

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much my essays helped or hurt me, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Great question, could we get some input from current BMS/M1s? here's some love to everyone contributing to this thread :biglove:
I wrote different essays. The core ideas were similar, obviously, but my BMS essay was specifically focused on BMS while the med school one was about medicine in general.

My BMS talked a lot about why my grades sucked
Despite having pretty atrocious undergrad grades, I spent less than a paragraph explaining them. I mostly focused on what I had done since and the improvement I had shown.

BMS and medical school are different programs and will select for applicants differently. While there should be similarities between your essays, since they're both your story, I think using the same one is lazy and unnecessarily weakening your application. But I remember reading that people have done it, so who knows.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much my essays helped or hurt me, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I wrote different essays. The core ideas were similar, obviously, but my BMS essay was specifically focused on BMS while the med school one was about medicine in general.

Despite having pretty atrocious undergrad grades, I spent less than a paragraph explaining them. I mostly focused on what I had done since and the improvement I had shown.

BMS and medical school are different programs and will select for applicants differently. While there should be similarities between your essays, since they're both your story, I think using the same one is lazy and unnecessarily weakening your application. But I remember reading that people have done it, so who knows.

I agree, you should write a tailored essay for your BMS App (which is what I did), but I'm also fairly certain the BMS admissions team won't read your AMCAS one. I have no proof of that. Just what I suspect.

I also focused on my good qualities rather than my undergrad grades. I said something along the lines of "my undergrad grades were not stellar but ____ and ___ show I'm more than capable of handling the material" etc.

Oh and I'm gonna add the same disclaimer as blob, I have no idea if my essay was fruitful or not. I know a lot of people here at BMS now didn't change much.

-LF

what is wrong with RFUCAS? Have you been facing the same issue as I am, they do not update the system despite the fact that they have all the documents. I am really worried to miss the deadline due to RFUCAS carelessness.

Hey guys, i need some advice

Should I go ahead and take my CCOM (DO school) acceptance or should I take my RFU BMS acceptance? No one has been able to elaborate on the actual numbers when it comes to the BMS-CMS linkage so I'm hesitant to go ahead and matriculate into the BMS program. Can anyone give me advice on my scenario?

Should I go ahead and take my CCOM (DO school) acceptance or should I take my RFU BMS acceptance? No one has been able to elaborate on the actual numbers when it comes to the BMS-CMS linkage so I'm hesitant to go ahead and matriculate into the BMS program. Can anyone give me advice on my scenario?
If I had a DO acceptance, especially at a "top" school like CCOM, I would take it in a heartbeat. The linkage to CMS went down this past cycle, and it is not a guarantee. CCOM is a great school, and I think you'd be silly to turn it down.

Plus, if you do not get into CMS, that's ANOTHER gap year to apply elsewhere in addition to your BMS year.

Seems like a no brainer to me, since your #1 is to get into med school.

If I had a DO acceptance, especially at a "top" school like CCOM, I would take it in a heartbeat. The linkage to CMS went down this past cycle, and it is not a guarantee. CCOM is a great school, and I think you'd be silly to turn it down.

Plus, if you do not get into CMS, that's ANOTHER gap year to apply elsewhere in addition to your BMS year.

Seems like a no brainer to me, since your #1 is to get into med school.

Hm, what makes you say the linkage has gone down? Is it approximately 50% of BMSers get into CMS? If so, then yeah that's actually pretty scary..

Well I was just contemplating doing this program because I'm interested in competitive specialities and going to CMS would be a better option for that route. I just heard though that RFU BMS had basically guaranteed linkage with CMS assuming you do well in the program. Figured it was worth taking the risk but if the linkage is only 50%, thats too much of a gamble you're right.

The reason the numbers on the linkage are not clear is because it's very hard to predict. As of now (after a third wave) I would estimate some 30-35 people are in out of ~90-95 remaining people there is one more test in two medical subjects remaining. Last year the count was around 62-63 of... I want to say 107. But it's very clear from all the students here that things change every year. I heard a rumor one year was ~95% a long time ago. The ups and downs from year to year mean we can never tell you "yeah, BMS has a 70% linkage"

Hm, what makes you say the linkage has gone down? Is it approximately 50% of BMSers get into CMS? If so, then yeah that's actually pretty scary..

Well I was just contemplating doing this program because I'm interested in competitive specialities and going to CMS would be a better option for that route. I just heard though that RFU BMS had basically guaranteed linkage with CMS assuming you do well in the program. Figured it was worth taking the risk but if the linkage is only 50%, thats too much of a gamble you're right.

The definition of 'well' is not made clear by CMS adcoms. As was the case last year, you can get rejected with 3As+1B yet watch some of your BMS peers get acceptances with Bs and Cs. This year seems to have a stronger correlation with BMS grades but there are still currently people on hold with 3As+1B. If you are too anxious about a 50% linkage and you think it will impact your ability to perform in BMS then certainly matriculate to DO. This is because it is more realistic to assume that CMS admissions would be either equally or more difficult than the previous year (rather than less difficult).

Anecdotally, straight As is the only 'guarantee' for BMS to CMS linkage. 3As+1B rejections are possible and has happened.

If you read through last year's thread, you will see that from 2012-2013 to 2014-2015 it went down. Friend who is current CMS student said his year was 60% while the year before was clser to 75%. It's a gamble, an expensive gamble.

The reason the numbers on the linkage are not clear is because it's very hard to predict. As of now (after a third wave) I would estimate some 30-35 people are in out of ~90-95 remaining people there is one more test in two medical subjects remaining. Last year the count was around 62-63 of... I want to say 107. But it's very clear from all the students here that things change every year. I heard a rumor one year was ~95% a long time ago. The ups and downs from year to year mean we can never tell you "yeah, BMS has a 70% linkage"

Do you have an approximate stat on CMS acceptance this year?

As has already been said, no one knows.

Somewhere around 30 to 40 is are probably already in, 95 people left in the class at this point (slightly fewer if you count those who are not CMS applicants). I'm of the opinion that the acceptance rate should be counted out of the number of people who are applying to CMS that made it to the finish line. We've had ~20 drop out over the course of the year, but let's face it, if you failed a class, it's pretty unreasonable to count that person as a potential competitor for a CMS spot.

The last big round of decisions will likely come right at or right after finals on May 22nd. I think it is a balancing act for CMS, if they don't let enough students in, the quality of student matriculation to BMS will decline into a downward spiral And let'let's face it, SMP's are cash cows.

so why are some with B's getting accepted and not those with the A's. So based of what you are saying what is that 'thing' CMS is looking for... high mcat? good letters before? school involvement? surely there must be a good reason that those who are doing worse end up getting favored...

The definition of 'well' is not made clear by CMS adcoms. As was the case last year, you can get rejected with 3As+1B yet watch some of your BMS peers get acceptances with Bs and Cs. This year seems to have a stronger correlation with BMS grades but there are still currently people on hold with 3As+1B. If you are too anxious about a 50% linkage and you think it will impact your ability to perform in BMS then certainly matriculate to DO. This is because it is more realistic to assume that CMS admissions would be either equally or more difficult than the previous year (rather than less difficult).

How are those students with Bs and Cs getting into BMS but those with good grades are not? It doesn't make any sense.

Do most students who attend his program apply during the academic year for medical schools? Or do they wait till the completion of the program and then apply ? Thanks

so why are some with B's getting accepted and not those with the A's. So based of what you are saying what is that 'thing' CMS is looking for... high mcat? good letters before? school involvement? surely there must be a good reason that those who are doing worse end up getting favored...
How are those students with Bs and Cs getting into BMS but those with good grades are not? It doesn't make any sense.

CMS adcoms have their own undisclosed criteria for matriculating BMS students to CMS. This is the 'gamble' people speak of. The closest thing to a guaranteed linkage would be straight As (i.e. 89.5%+ in all courses).

For the same reason people with a 3.5 and 38 get rejected from medical schools. The adcom and adcom alone know.

All you can do is study hard and hope for the best. There are no guarantees in life, and certainly none in medical school admissions.

Somewhere around 30 to 40 is are probably already in, 95 people left in the class at this point (slightly fewer if you count those who are not CMS applicants). I'm of the opinion that the acceptance rate should be counted out of the number of people who are applying to CMS that made it to the finish line. We've had ~20 drop out over the course of the year, but let's face it, if you failed a class, it's pretty unreasonable to count that person as a potential competitor for a CMS spot.

The last big round of decisions will likely come right at or right after finals on May 22nd. I think it is a balancing act for CMS, if they don't let enough students in, the quality of student matriculation to BMS will decline into a downward spiral And let'let's face it, SMP's are cash cows.

How are you able to get this number? Did I miss an announcement in class?

Okay, 1) what was the total of BMSer enrolled last year?
2) How many (~) dropped out ?
3) How many (~) wished NOT to matriculate into CMS?
4) Total BMSers accepted into CMS as of now?
5) Remaining BMSers who wish to matriculate?

Many Thanks!

A lot of people are asking me this. I AM NOT ON THE ADCOM. I have no idea what goes on in their heads. There is NO PREDICTING who will get in when.

Word of mouth. People tell people when they get in, names go around like wildfire. Which is why we give a range.

Estimates from people I know getting in. It's just a guess, but I'd say it's probably 20 at the very very least so far. Which is why I'm guessing maybe 30 to 40 on the higher end as I don't know everyone in the program.