Rosalind Franklin BMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for BMS students entering Fall 2016, we will still be taking the same courses (cmcb, biochem, physiology etc) with the M1 students, right? But unlike previous years, if we matriculate into CMS then our course load as M1's probably will not be any lighter?

First they change the MCAT on me and now this :( Thank you for the clarification!
I am 99% this is the case.

Members don't see this ad.

Any accepted students that wouldn't mind sharing their stats?

Reactions: 5 users
It is from my understanding that starting fall 2017, CMS will have a different curriculum than it currently has. Right now, subjects are divided into different courses: cmcb, biochem, physiology etc. Starting 2017 there won't be division of courses anymore, instead medical students will study "medicine" all together. Current BMS students take about half of the courses as M1's do, and won't repeat the courses later on. This no longer will be possible for BMS Fall 2017 because first year medical eduction, with the new curriculum can't be split like it does right now.
As for as BMS students entering Fall 2016, their curriculum will look same as now; meaning they will take half of the courses as medical students entering fall 2016. But when they matriculate for 2017 medical school, the courses they had taken during 2016-2017 academic year will no longer reflect 2017's version of medical education. They won't be necessarily repeating the courses since they won't be offered anymore. I don't think anyone at this point knows what the curriculum for BMS entering fall 2017 will look like. I will update this post if I find out anything new or more accurate information.

Do you know if this change will affect the linkage rate?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know there's been a few posts mentioning waitlists, but has anyone been accepted yet? Wondering what kind of timeline to expect to hear back from them.

It's kinda a bummer that they want recommendations specifically targeted at their own program. Makes me have to go out of the way to ask for rec's from other professors who haven't already written one for med school and seems a little wasteful of their services too.

We received no information on whether or not this would affect linkage rate. If I had to guess I would say no, but that's just a guess

It's kinda a bummer that they want recommendations specifically targeted at their own program. Makes me have to go out of the way to ask for rec's from other professors who haven't already written one for med school and seems a little wasteful of their services too.

Where did you find this? When I applied this was not the case nor did they say this on the BMS page. Not saying you're wrong, but personally haven't heard of this as far as recommendations go.

Reactions: 1 users

We received no information on whether or not this would affect linkage rate. If I had to guess I would say no, but that's just a guess

Where did you find this? When I applied this was not the case nor did they say this on the BMS page. Not saying you're wrong, but personally haven't heard of this as far as recommendations go.

I just emailed the admissions office asking and they told me they really prefer recs specifically for their program. Huge pain.

I just emailed the admissions office asking and they told me they really prefer recs specifically for their program. Huge pain.

True, I just sent my LOR writers the website for the BMS and told them I'm applying to that program before med school. It shouldn't be so bad, I mean your writers should know what your plans are and what not. of course...they'll have to write different letters than your med school ones.

I'm assuming they changed requirements and they're pushing for BMS-specific LORs this year. From what I've seen in older posts from previous years, they originally accepted med school LORs. I sent an email to make sure, but was told they want it written for the program now. Complicates things a bit.

Does anyone know if there's a requirement on how many letters must be written from a science instructor? Would 1 of 3 be fine? I have 2 healthcare supervisors who are willing to write for me, and it would take a significantly longer time to get a second professors to write one.

How detrimental do you guys think it'd be to send the recs for medical school? I really don't think I can get 3 solid recs otherwise.

@iRezaDH Been a while since I've been on SDN. Looks like the 2017 changes are throwing some curve balls at our previous years' advice.

Like he said, 2017 will introduce curriculum changes. From what we've heard, CMS is following suit with other medical schools by adopting the organ system approach rather than the traditional system for future medical curriculum.

Good luck to all of the applicants out there! We'll try to provide more info as these "changes" become more concrete with factual evidence rather than speculation. And, more than likely, @iRezaDH will reply to your questions sooner than I can.

I'm having some trouble understanding the essay prompt if anyone can help me out.

"Indicate the impact of your previous shadowing and volunteer experiences on your current perspective of the U.S. healthcare delivery system."

I guess I'm just a little unsure of what they specifically mean in terms of delivery system. It might just be super obvious. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates? Has anyone been accepted or placed on the waitlist? I spoke with with someone from the BMS program and the class is not full yet. I'm feeling so nervous! I'm still on the waitlist.

The last update I have is to wait 4-6 weeks for a decision on my application. I was reading older threads and it seems like RFU gives out a bulk of their acceptances in June.

I'm having some trouble understanding the essay prompt if anyone can help me out.

"Indicate the impact of your previous shadowing and volunteer experiences on your current perspective of the U.S. healthcare delivery system."

I guess I'm just a little unsure of what they specifically mean in terms of delivery system. It might just be super obvious. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

^ bump?

Can anyone clarify the possible replacements for the biochemistry lab component requirement? I can't find a nearby school that offers a lab, and was told that other upper-level science labs will not fulfill the requirement. The website now states "a one-term research lab is suggested as a replacement and must appear on your transcript." I'm assuming this means work as a research assistant will not be accepted?

I just took it to mean that they want you to show that you learned something of substance from clinical experiences, and how that will impact your future profession and how you decide to practice. For example, did you volunteer in a hospital and notice any shortfalls in healthcare, and is that something you want to address in your career? I pretty much wrote about a few things I learned when I shadowed, and how those were challenges I never really thought about before, but now that I know about them, I know what kind of role I need to play. If that makes any sense..

Can anyone clarify the possible replacements for the biochemistry lab component requirement? I can't find a nearby school that offers a lab, and was told that other upper-level science labs will not fulfill the requirement. The website now states "a one-term research lab is suggested as a replacement and must appear on your transcript." I'm assuming this means work as a research assistant will not be accepted?

huh. they changed BMS requirements too. Yeah, i think that won't be accepted.

huh. they changed BMS requirements too. Yeah, i think that won't be accepted.

I was recently accepted without a Biochemistry lab. I am not sure what they counted in place of the lab. I had an independent study research course in Biology my senior year and also Microbiology lab that could have met the requirement. Perhaps some students on here have taken a lab with a Genetics or Microbiology class that would count?

Does anyone know when or if there is a priority deadline? Their website says that the application deadline itself is June 1st, so just wondering if there was an earlier deadline if anyone knows

How long does it generally take to hear back? I was verified last week, and I got the application received email today. I'm visiting campus Thursday, but it seems like too much to hope for to hear something by then.

Are the LORS submitted electronically? or do they have to be mailed in by the writers?

In other words, do I need to account for a mailing time in order to assure that they get in before the application deadline?

How long does it generally take to hear back? I was verified last week, and I got the application received email today. I'm visiting campus Thursday, but it seems like too much to hope for to hear something by then.
Seems to take awhile. You get an application complete email after the application received email, I got it a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

They are electronic you can have them submitted directly to RFU or use Interfolio.

Congrats to the future BMSers! If any of you are looking to moving down here in the summer, I'm looking for a subletter from June 15th-July 31st (this is negotiable). This is for a 3bd, 2.5 bath house located in Navy Housing, Forrestal Village (located directly across from RFUMS: 10 min walk, 2 min drive). Two out of the three rooms will be open. The roommate who is staying is female and we have one male subletter already for one of the larger open rooms with attached full bath. The open room is $400/month + utilities = ~$450 per month (seriously the cheapest rent you will find). The room fits a queen sized bed comfortably and you'd be sharing a 2nd full bath with the female roommate. I'm also looking to sell my 1 yr old IKEA queen sized bed and frame so if you wanted to purchase that, you'd avoid yourself a lot of hassle. You can check out the area on the website. Our house is pretty similar to these photos: http://www.navygreatlakesfamilyhousing.com/great-lakes/forrestal-village/photos/
Send me a message if you're interested in subletting and I can send you actual photos of the room and house.

Need advice. I have one LOR from a healthcare supervisor, one from an MD I shadowed, and I’m currently waiting on a professor to write recommendation for me. I’ve actually been waiting for this letter to be complete since January, and I can’t find another professor who knows me well enough to complete one in time. I shadowed a DO a year ago, who would absolutely love to offer me his support and write one, but how bad would it be to not have one from a professor? I’ve contacted my professor constantly throughout the past few months, and he absolutely agreed but is extremely busy. I don’t want to keep waiting, but I also don’t want to submit letters that don’t hold as much value. Should I just keep waiting on my professor and keep trying to contact him, or should I go ahead and get the DO to write one?

Thanks a ton in advance.

Since there aren't really any data points in this thread and other people may be curious, my app was complete on 4/5 and I was accepted yesterday (4/19). cGPA 3.25, sGPA 3.09, no MCAT, GRE 158/160/4.5, pretty non-traditional. Now I need to decide between here and Tufts MBS.

Since there aren't really any data points in this thread and other people may be curious, my app was complete on 4/5 and I was accepted yesterday (4/19). cGPA 3.25, sGPA 3.09, no MCAT, GRE 158/160/4.5, pretty non-traditional. Now I need to decide between here and Tufts MBS.
Nice! Did you specifically ask your LOR writers to write it specifically for the program? Did you tailor your personal statement to fit the prompt or did you submit along the lines of how an AMCAS PS is supposed to be. Reason I'm asking is the 2nd part of the prompt seems hard to address without seeming a bit critical of current healthcare. Also, did you write the diversity statement?

Nice! Did you specifically ask your LOR writers to write it specifically for the program? Did you tailor your personal statement to fit the prompt or did you submit along the lines of how an AMCAS PS is supposed to be. Reason I'm asking is the 2nd part of the prompt seems hard to address without seeming a bit critical of current healthcare. Also, did you write the diversity statement?
My LOR were my medical school ones, nothing about the program. My personal statement was the same rough idea that I am going with for the AMCAS PS, but I did edit a few parts of it to cater to the program and wrote a diversity statement.

I'm also deciding between Tufts and RFU...

Congratulations to those accepted, how did you hear, via email?

Does anyone else mind sharing stats?
What GPA/MCAt score did you apply with?

Waiting on a decision, applied with a 3.44 cGPA and a 3.18 sGPA as calculated by RFU, AMCAS calculates the sGPA higher. I have a 32 MCAT.

Last edited:
Is this program as good for students going to CMS and it is for students wanting to go to the PA program?

Thanks! The wait is killing me. I visited last week and loved it.

hey guys. i sent in my applications 2 weeks ago but just got an email stating that my prereqs are not fulfilled (although I've already completed them and also filled it out on the applications.

I sent them an email about the issue and also called them but they never responded to my emails and also never pick up the phone. Did anyone else have the same issue?

hey guys. i sent in my applications 2 weeks ago but just got an email stating that my prereqs are not fulfilled (although I've already completed them and also filled it out on the applications.

I sent them an email about the issue and also called them but they never responded to my emails and also never pick up the phone. Did anyone else have the same issue?
I had a similar issue with my prereqs and I had emailed them two weeks ago about it and finally got a reply back today so you may just have to give it a week or two and wait it out unfortunately.

I e-mailed them my pre-reqs about 2 weeks ago as well. I haven't heard back either. They also haven't returned my call.

Is there a Facebook group for the 2016-2017 BMS program?

What are they looking for in this program? I'm seeing a good amount of people with "decent for SMP" stats getting rejected.

What are they looking for in this program? I'm seeing a good amount of people with "decent for SMP" stats getting rejected.

I was rejected with very similar stats to Stranger. I think it was a prereqs issue as they don't take AP classes. It's been a a recurring problem for me(Tufts/Temple and others) but my undergrad doesn't let me take classes I have AP credit for.