Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I interviewed at Pacific they told me they often sent students to Alaska for rotations so I'm not sure how accurate that is. However, that interview was 5 plus years ago so maybe their policy has changed.

Pong,

The more established pharmacy schools do have international rotations. The two established programs I've been affiliated with thus far in my career, both had international rotations. It has something to do with having a preceptor who is licensed in another country. In the Spring 2009 when I was setting up my rotations, Dr. Zarley told me that USN hasn't pursued that yet. Sounds like it hasn't changed.

You should of had the rotation lottery by now, correct? Which rotations did you get? Are the am-care and advanced community rotation options any better now? Too many filler spots for those two required rotations when I was there doing mine 2-3 years ago. How do you like Erin? I heard she was hired to take Dr. Zarley's responsibility as Roseman Utah APPE rotations director

I inquired early on in P2 year about the possibility of going out of the country for a rotation as I have family over seas but I was told that I wouldn't be able due to a student insurance. I guess the school has insurance on each student and it wouldn't cover us if we went out of the US. They also said that the precptor had to be licensed in the US so that limited my options to a military base of some sort unless of course it was a group thing like what the U did in Thailand recently where a preceptor from the school went with them.

Yes, the lottery happened a few weeks ago. I wasn't terribly impressed with what I got stuck with but I think I ended up with a few good ones through trade and picking up what other students dropped. The ones I was really shooting for was emergency medicine and oncology rotations but I had to settle for infectious disease and an ICU.

Erin is really cool. I don't think she realized just how much work all this is going to be. I can't imagine how difficult it was for Zarley to get the rotations set up for the students at both campuses for the past several years. I don't think Zarley is as accomodating when it comes to rotation switches as Erin. Having interacted with both of them, I think Erin is more willing to help students get the rotations that they want. That may just be because this is her first year doing it so she may get burnt out down the road and start to not care what you end up with. Hopefully not, Erin is awesome, hope she stays that way. There seemed to be a handful of decent Am.Care rotations available but they were definitely lacking in Adv.Community rotations. There was only a few Adv.Comm rotations that even seemed like it was legit. The majority of them you are essentially going to just be free labor for 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Good to hear Erin is working out well! Dr Zarley has been overworked ever since they opened the Utah Campus! I actually thought Dr Z was quite appropriately accommodating with rotation setup and appreciated her efforts. I known Coffman and Levin thought she was too student friendly with it all.

Which am care and advanced community sites will you be rotating at? That is good to hear that am care may be improving somewhat. There is some overlap between ID/Onc and ED/ICU so hopefully you enjoy those. There is actually some demand for pharmacists in those areas right now in Utah and having expeience in those areas may prove fruitful to your future.

Take care! Btw, when is Roseman starting up their DO program in Utah? I just heard this week that the UofU dental school has now been given the state legislature go ahead. Gotta love the ongoing competition between the two:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to hear Erin is working out well! Dr Zarley has been overworked ever since they opened the Utah Campus! I actually thought Dr Z was quite appropriately accommodating with rotation setup and appreciated her efforts. I known Coffman and Levin thought she was too student friendly with it all.

Which am care and advanced community sites will you be rotating at? That is good to hear that am care may be improving somewhat. There is some overlap between ID/Onc and ED/ICU so hopefully you enjoy those. There is actually some demand for pharmacists in those areas right now in Utah and having expeience in those areas may prove fruitful to your future.

Take care! Btw, when is Roseman starting up their DO program in Utah? I just heard this week that the UofU dental school has now been given the state legislature go ahead. Gotta love the ongoing competition between the two:)

I haven't heard anything about Roseman starting a DO program. I kind of figured they would open a medical school program at some point. Where did you hear about it?

Has anyone received an enrollment/admissions packet yet? I know they said they possibly wouldn't go out until the end of March but I am DYING to get mine and make it official! :D

I interviewed last year during the last interview cycle, on the last day (Thursday). I got the call from Dr. DeYoung the following Monday.

So, if you haven't heard back yet, there's still time. There are candidates who get calls and then turn down the offer, opening up spots for some of you who've yet to hear back.

Somewhat off-topic, but did Dr. Zarley handle IPPE in the past, or only APPE?

I believe Zarley only does APPE. She used to do APPE for both campuses but they recently hired Dr. Johanson to set up the APPE rotations at the South Jordan campus. We have two different people do the APPE & IPPE rotations in Utah so I'd imagine it's the same in Henderson.

Geez, you guys don't actually have to get here so early.

(Not that we don't enjoy greeting you at lunch, but there just isn't much going on the rest of the time before the interview day agenda starts.)

has anyone heard back from 2/21 interview???
still waiting to hear :/

Quick question. I'm still waiting for a call from Roseman but was wondering, if accepted, do I need to send in my updated transcript? Or can I drop out of this semester since all my pre-reqs are done?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm loathe to answer and misguide you, but it seems to me that if you're not taking any pre-req's this spring and you end up accepted, you'd be able to drop those and still be fine for Roseman.

Just curious..why are you taking unnecessary courses at all? Unless they're pre-req's for another school?

I'm loathe to answer and misguide you, but it seems to me that if you're not taking any pre-req's this spring and you end up accepted, you'd be able to drop those and still be fine for Roseman.

Just curious..why are you taking unnecessary courses at all? Unless they're pre-req's for another school?

I'm taking classes for my biology degree just in case I don't get accepted. And I'm taking physics 2 for a pre-req for another pharmacy school in Utah.

Quick question. I'm still waiting for a call from Roseman but was wondering, if accepted, do I need to send in my updated transcript? Or can I drop out of this semester since all my pre-reqs are done?

During the initial conversation with Dr. Deyoung offering me admission, he hinted towards me completing the courses I am in enrolled in. I had planned on graduating with a bachelors in May and I also had to enroll in one more class to cover a pre-req. If there is any doubt, you should certainly ask Dr. Deyoung when he calls you. He would be the best resource for a question like this.

Phew! Just finished my interview yesterday. Good news is people who interviewed on 3/20 were the last group to go...so that means everyone should hopefully be finding out their admission status soon! Dr. DeYoung mentioned the administration hoped to have everything sorted out within the next two weeks, so hang in there everyone!! We're in the home stretch!

Phew! Just finished my interview yesterday. Good news is people who interviewed on 3/20 were the last group to go...so that means everyone should hopefully be finding out their admission status soon! Dr. DeYoung mentioned the administration hoped to have everything sorted out within the next two weeks, so hang in there everyone!! We're in the home stretch!

how did you interview go?
i just had mine yesterday too, :)

I think it went well...but you never know haha. I was pretty nervous right in the beginning so I know my voice was a little shaky, but otherwise I think I answered the questions well. How about you?

I think it went well...but you never know haha. I was pretty nervous right in the beginning so I know my voice was a little shaky, but otherwise I think I answered the questions well. How about you?

i think it went well. I felt good about it. but like you said i may never know.
i felt that I was too happy answering my questions and felt that i wasnt too serious? :confused:
idk, all the advice i would get is "be yourself" and i felt that was myself. i hope we hear something soon :xf:

i think it went well. I felt good about it. but like you said i may never know.
i felt that I was too happy answering my questions and felt that i wasnt too serious? :confused:
idk, all the advice i would get is "be yourself" and i felt that was myself. i hope we hear something soon :xf:

Weird!! I seriously felt the exact same way. I'm a pretty happy/goofy person, and right when I got out of my interview I was like "Man, I was definitely not super professional/serious during that interview". Hopefully they like us for our happy selves! haha I don't know, it was kind of hard to be super serious when the staff was being so nice and funny. :)

I'm taking classes for my biology degree just in case I don't get accepted. And I'm taking physics 2 for a pre-req for another pharmacy school in Utah.

You've already paid for the classes and are probably halfway done with the classes by now. You may as well finish. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I'd hate for you to get in the habit of quitting before getting to Roseman. Haha, jk:)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

You've already paid for the classes and are probably halfway done with the classes by now. You may as well finish. It certainly wouldn't hurt. I'd hate for you to get in the habit of quitting before getting to Roseman. Haha, jk:)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

Lol I definitely don't want to develop that habit. Its just the physics class I'm struggling with. I really dislike the professor and it's just not clicking with me. Do you have to send in an updated transcript of classes you took after you sent your application in if your accepted? Even if there were no pre-reqs?

Lol I definitely don't want to develop that habit. Its just the physics class I'm struggling with. I really dislike the professor and it's just not clicking with me. Do you have to send in an updated transcript of classes you took after you sent your application in if your accepted? Even if there were no pre-reqs?

Yes, you have to send in a final transcript when you finish the semester because they'll need to keep your GPA current.

oh, yeah...forgot that PGY1 & 2 still need to see those cumulative GPA stats. good thing you were there to intercept my bad advice.

oh, yeah...forgot that PGY1 & 2 still need to see those cumulative GPA stats. good thing you were there to intercept my bad advice.

You are right though. If she has the pre-reqs completed already then it's probably not that big of a deal as long as they won't count against your GPA. Even if it does drop your GPA it still wouldn't be that big of a deal (althought I don't recommend it) as long as it doesn't drop below the minimum (2.5 I think). The only thing Roseman cares about is that you have the pre-reqs done. You will need to send in a final transcript to Roseman regardless.If you get accepted then you are accepted and as long as you meet the minimum requirements then you are golden. Half way through the semester and I'm pretty sure they will show up on transcript though so you may as well finish the classes and see how you do. No sense in quitting, you'll need all the confidence you can get to get through Roseman's program.

You are right though. If she has the pre-reqs completed already then it's probably not that big of a deal as long as they won't count against your GPA. Even if it does drop your GPA it still wouldn't be that big of a deal (althought I don't recommend it) as long as it doesn't drop below the minimum (2.5 I think). The only thing Roseman cares about is that you have the pre-reqs done. You will need to send in a final transcript to Roseman regardless.If you get accepted then you are accepted and as long as you meet the minimum requirements then you are golden. Half way through the semester and I'm pretty sure they will show up on transcript though so you may as well finish the classes and see how you do. No sense in quitting, you'll need all the confidence you can get to get through Roseman's program.

The minimum is a 2.5 overall gpa but also at least a C in all prerequisites right?

The minimum is a 2.5 overall gpa but also at least a C in all prerequisites right?

Yes, with the exception of public speaking and english 1010. Those two need to be at least a B.

I suppose this is pretty odd and quite late notice, but if any locals wanna come out and hang with students from the Henderson campus, there's a BBQ being thrown by one of the pharmacy fraternities today (Saturday), 1pm at Sunset Park. I figured it would get a bit more play here than on the relatively fledgling Facebook group. Soo... yeah, take advantage of this opportunity!

Has anyone who interviewed 2/7 heard back yet??? :confused:

im sure we are going to be hearing from roseman soon, since the last interview was on 03/20. Maybe another week or so.

im sure we are going to be hearing from roseman soon, since the last interview was on 03/20. Maybe another week or so.

Interviewed: 2/7
Got accepted today! :D Good luck everyone!!!!!:xf:

Interviewed on 2/2. Still waiting as well.

Does anyone have any idea how many seats are still available?

Interviewed 2/2 and just got the call from Dr.Deyoung!!! I'll be at the Utah campus.

Got the call about 2 hours ago. I am in. Utah campus. :)

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in so far!! :clap: To every one still waiting, I am sure there are many more phone calls to come. Good luck! :xf:

People who got called today----Were you guys offered by both campus choices? or Dr young gave u only one option like Utah

People who got called today----Were you guys offered by both campus choices? or Dr young gave u only one option like Utah

I was only given one option. On your application, you were given choices on which campus you would accept an offer from.