Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can imagine. I am the type of person who will notoriously check multiple times a day for something.... I pray I will get closure. I don't think I could handle it. Apparently from what everyone is saying though you still stand a chance (a lot of slots will open up). So I hope you don't have to reapply. Is this the only school you got an interview from?

Members don't see this ad.

I can imagine. I am the type of person who will notoriously check multiple times a day for something.... I pray I will get closure. I don't think I could handle it. Apparently from what everyone is saying though you still stand a chance (a lot of slots will open up). So I hope you don't have to reapply. Is this the only school you got an interview from?

Haha, I'm definitely the same way. Yeah, I'm really hoping I don't have to reapply...it's a pretty intense process and going through it once is more than enough haha. I applied to 5 schools, got interviews at 3. I'm currently within the top 10 at Roseman and one other school, and within the top 20 at the third school. It's terrible knowing that I'm so close in two places and yet I could very well not be accepted anywhere. Roseman was my number one choice from the beginning (I absolutely fell in love with the program and the faculty), so I'm going to hold out as long as possible to see if I get accepted there.

Awesome, thanks. You beat me to it.

I haven't applied yet. I'm applying this fall. I just finished my PharmCAS app today.

My advice is to apply ASAP so that you are on tier-1 applicants in every school. Last year I applied to Roseman the first week it began, got in the first interview in Nov., then got accepted the next Friday after interview.

(Still remember his sweet voice about accpeatnce from Dr. DeYoung)

By the way, you must show something stronger for 2013 than 2012 cycle. People usually go ahead get a pharm tech license which is very very helpful in applications.

Keep up your hope!

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharm tech licenses are a lot harder to come by than I thought. It is rare here in Utah to get into a tech job unless you already have the license (they won't train you) and that means a couple thousand $ and a lot of time- which I don't have. I'm super annoyed about PharmCAS. I was hoping to be like you jksp and get an early interview and wouldn't need to apply anywhere else. Instead... I have to get all my LORs because I have to apply at all the schools at the same time. Meh... :confused: I wanted to go to Roseman but if a school gives me an interview before them I'll be stupid to say no if they accept me. Roseman... you screwed me! lol.. So much for staying in Utah :(

Anyone from the waitlist hear any news ? Updates ? Is Dr. DeYoung still out of the office ?:confused:

Anyone from the waitlist hear any news ? Updates ? Is Dr. DeYoung still out of the office ?:confused:

He's officially out of the office until July 2nd according to Dawn, his assistant. She said that when he's gone, basically all administrative issues are on hold, so no one will be receiving any phone calls or updates in these next two weeks concerning admissions. She mentioned to check back in with him again though after July 2nd for any further updates about wait list standings.

He's officially out of the office until July 2nd according to Dawn, his assistant. She said that when he's gone, basically all administrative issues are on hold, so no one will be receiving any phone calls or updates in these next two weeks concerning admissions. She mentioned to check back in with him again though after July 2nd for any further updates about wait list standings.

Thanks for the info. :)

Ugh, reading all these posts is making me anxious for this fall. I really want to go to Roseman!!!! I got a quick question though for anyone who might know. I want to do a PG1-PG2 residency at a hospital for oncology. In all reality, how possible do you think that is? How do they get you residencies? Or do they not do most of the work for you in finding them? I literally have no idea how the IPPE/APPES or residencies work so any information would be AMAZING! Thanks and congrats to all the 2015 class on acceptance.

You have to do all the work in getting a residency. If you want one, my suggestion is to start working to make yourself competitive early. The percentage of people getting a residency goes down each year as more and more pharmacy schools open up and the job market for grads gets tighter. Unfortunately, Roseman students have a disadvantage in that there is no GPA so that is one less way to make yourself competitive and some programs won't even look at you without a GPA. I suggest starting early, joining up with a few clubs in your P1 year and attending health fairs. You won't be able to do much but make yourself seen and try to run for an officer position in your P2 year. Also, try to get a job in a hospital if you can. I'm not sure how you manage that but I'm sure somebody out there knows someone who knows someone who can set you up. Finally, look for research opportunities. Start thinking about ways to make your CV impressive early on. Remember, since Roseman is a 3 year program, you have one less year to work on your CV so you need to make your time count.

You have to do all the work in getting a residency. If you want one, my suggestion is to start working to make yourself competitive early. The percentage of people getting a residency goes down each year as more and more pharmacy schools open up and the job market for grads gets tighter. Unfortunately, Roseman students have a disadvantage in that there is no GPA so that is one less way to make yourself competitive and some programs won't even look at you without a GPA. I suggest starting early, joining up with a few clubs in your P1 year and attending health fairs. You won't be able to do much but make yourself seen and try to run for an officer position in your P2 year. Also, try to get a job in a hospital if you can. I'm not sure how you manage that but I'm sure somebody out there knows someone who knows someone who can set you up. Finally, look for research opportunities. Start thinking about ways to make your CV impressive early on. Remember, since Roseman is a 3 year program, you have one less year to work on your CV so you need to make your time count.

Wow thanks for the tips. That is a lot to consider. Yeah it looks like U of U does a good job setting you up. If I don't get in there, Roseman is my next choice. So for research I'm assuming you have to look outside Roseman? There are no teachers who will take you under their wing like in undergraduate situations I assume? If that's the case where would you recommend looking?

I don't have any numbers, but I've heard that a lot of P3's here in Henderson matched for residency this year. It is very doable if you follow diastole's advice.

That makes sense since there is only one pharmacy school there. I think here in Utah it'll be a different story since U of U's students have a GPA. Thanks for the heads up thought Golden

That makes sense since there is only one pharmacy school there. I think here in Utah it'll be a different story since U of U's students have a GPA. Thanks for the heads up thought Golden

Well, yes and no to that thought. People have been matching all over the country, not just within Nevada. It's probably just a small minority that stay in Nevada or go back to their home state.

I've got a question for you. I have a wife and a kid and I was wondering how much time to find yourself studying during the weekdays or weekend to get 90%+ since obviously you need to know the material very well. People said at 4 year programs they have enough time to work part-time during school. I assume that isn't possible at Roseman?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a question for you. I have a wife and a kid and I was wondering how much time to find yourself studying during the weekdays or weekend to get 90%+ since obviously you need to know the material very well. People said at 4 year programs they have enough time to work part-time during school. I assume that isn't possible at Roseman?

Can't speak from personal experience, but people with families make time to do the studying as well as take care of their family. I think that most of them don't work part-time in addition to that, but many students who don't have kids do have a part-time job.

Do they also need GPA for undergraduate coursework for residency matching? or they only look at pharm school GPA?

What campus are you attending?

Hey, I'm an incoming P1 who is also in the MBA program. I am currently looking for another NEVADA student to be my roommate. Is anyone interested?

I have 2 rooms available for rent 2 miles (app. 7 min local drive) away from Henderson campus. It's $350/month, $350 refundable deposit, and if contract is signed on or before 7/15/12 for 8/1/2012 move-in, the 1st month's rent is free. It is a 1-year contract. Please contact me via my email if you have questions or want more details because I rarely check SDN. Female roommates only please.

[email protected]

I have a wife and 2 kids and my wife is due at the beginning of the semester with number 3. I'm opting not to work and see how it goes. I don't want to risk it. If it looks like I can handle it, I might consider a job later. I hear it's easier to hold a job during the P1 year, but I'm not sure how many who do have a family are the ones working. Also, they are probably working in a pharmacy, which probably helps with school. I have no pharmacy experience. I got my tech license on my own, didn't go through a program, and could not find a job as a pharm tech because I had no experience. I'm not excited about the taking out the full loan amount, but I'd rather do that and pay it back then risk failing out of school to work at the same time. Those are my thoughts on the issue and why I came to the decision I did. Good luck with applications. I applied at the very beginning of the application process for Roseman and still did not get an interview until February. This was my third year applying and I finally got in. Don't give up hope :)

I have a wife and 2 kids and my wife is due at the beginning of the semester with number 3. I'm opting not to work and see how it goes. I don't want to risk it. If it looks like I can handle it, I might consider a job later. I hear it's easier to hold a job during the P1 year, but I'm not sure how many who do have a family are the ones working. Also, they are probably working in a pharmacy, which probably helps with school. I have no pharmacy experience. I got my tech license on my own, didn't go through a program, and could not find a job as a pharm tech because I had no experience. I'm not excited about the taking out the full loan amount, but I'd rather do that and pay it back then risk failing out of school to work at the same time. Those are my thoughts on the issue and why I came to the decision I did. Good luck with applications. I applied at the very beginning of the application process for Roseman and still did not get an interview until February. This was my third year applying and I finally got in. Don't give up hope :)
Hey I'm kinda in your same boat, only I'm the wife going to school and we have kids at home and also have a new baby due at the start of the semester. We maxed out the student loan thing just because we figure that if we don't need it- there's no pre-payment penalty so we'll just pay back whatever we don't need to save on interest. My husband plans to stay at home with the kids and help me be sane and have enough study time. He'll work a few side jobs since everyone in town knows he does construction and hopefully that will get us through. We also rented out our basement to a mature couple with older kids who plan to babysit whenever we need... this is our second try though, we first rented to a newlywed couple who planned to "work off their rent" but ended up being more selfish, immature and irresponsible than any teenagers I've ever met. You can always be creative with making an income for yourself but I think the real trick to surviving the next couple of years w/ a family and limited/no income is your attitude towards spending. I've talked to lots of doctors wives and got advice- they all say the same thing: just don't buy the extras that you're used to buying and try to get by on as little as possible. One said that now that her husband's a surgeon, it's still kinda hard for her to buy kleenex since for the past 13 yrs they survived using tp instead. Top Ramen recipes can really be jazzed up if you look for recipes. I also sold my super nice SUV and now we're sporting a high-mileage used minivan but our insurance dropped more than $100 per month. We've got family to fall back on too if we end up not making it. Can't be too proud if you've got mouths to feed. I know the stress though, and just wanted you to know you won't be the only broke college student there balancing family and school. It's do-able I'm sure, I just don't plan to be too involved in the extra curricular stuff- get in and get out is my goal.

Thanks for the info thedave. It's super intimidating. We already have 10k in student loans because my wife gets super sick during her pregnancy and can't work. It's funny. I wanted to go to U of U and do the PhD- PharmD pathway but I'm realizing how much work pharmacy school is by itself and I have to agree with "shannyanny" on the fact that extracurricular stuff is starting to look less and less appealing. I may still try for a residency but when you got a family you are either going to be selfish and get to do what you want in school or take a hit on your dreams and be happy with your family during the process. I'm going to pick the latter lol.
I love Daybreak/South Jordan too. Such a nice area.

Last edited:
Hey I'm kinda in your same boat, only I'm the wife going to school and we have kids at home and also have a new baby due at the start of the semester. We maxed out the student loan thing just because we figure that if we don't need it- there's no pre-payment penalty so we'll just pay back whatever we don't need to save on interest. My husband plans to stay at home with the kids and help me be sane and have enough study time. He'll work a few side jobs since everyone in town knows he does construction and hopefully that will get us through. We also rented out our basement to a mature couple with older kids who plan to babysit whenever we need... this is our second try though, we first rented to a newlywed couple who planned to "work off their rent" but ended up being more selfish, immature and irresponsible than any teenagers I've ever met. You can always be creative with making an income for yourself but I think the real trick to surviving the next couple of years w/ a family and limited/no income is your attitude towards spending. I've talked to lots of doctors wives and got advice- they all say the same thing: just don't buy the extras that you're used to buying and try to get by on as little as possible. One said that now that her husband's a surgeon, it's still kinda hard for her to buy kleenex since for the past 13 yrs they survived using tp instead. Top Ramen recipes can really be jazzed up if you look for recipes. I also sold my super nice SUV and now we're sporting a high-mileage used minivan but our insurance dropped more than $100 per month. We've got family to fall back on too if we end up not making it. Can't be too proud if you've got mouths to feed. I know the stress though, and just wanted you to know you won't be the only broke college student there balancing family and school. It's do-able I'm sure, I just don't plan to be too involved in the extra curricular stuff- get in and get out is my goal.

Yep. We've been doing the broke college student thing for a few years now...lol The only difference this time is no job at all. We're down sizing to a 2 bedroom apartment when we move to save money. It's close to campus and the elementary school our son will be going to, so the car (we only have one) can be used less because we can walk or ride a bike when the weather cooperates. We're on the same wavelength: can pay back what we don't use of the loan without penalty (except for the interest that accrued). Everything we do/buy will be scrutinized. We've already told family to not expect us to travel to see them the next 3 years. My wife's family is helping us financially until school starts so we can move out to Utah in July and get things set up before our baby gets here. Get in and get out is a good goal :)

Thanks for the info thedave. It's super intimidating. We already have 10k in student loans because my wife gets super sick during her pregnancy and can't work. It's funny. I wanted to go to U of U and do the PhD- PharmD pathway but I'm realizing how much work pharmacy school is by itself and I have to agree with "shannyanny" on the fact that extracurricular stuff is starting to look less and less appealing. I may still try for a residency but when you got a family you are either going to be selfish and get to do what you want in school or take a hit on your dreams and be happy with your family during the process. I'm going to pick the latter lol.
I love Daybreak/South Jordan too. Such a nice area.

My wife gets super sick too, and has a very rough post-partum, so I know where you are coming from. I'm hoping to do a residency too, but my wife and I have discussed possibly working for a few years if needed before pursuing it. We'll see what happens:)

haha yeah. apparently one day you'll be making big money 80k+... its messed up that they double student loan interest rates and there is no such thing as subsidized loans now... that makes the price of rose man go up almost 20k if you aren't taking loans out for living expenses. For me, we're going to have to take out 180k. and those minor changes with loans and interest rates makes it go up to 200k.... it's a hard knock life

haha yeah. apparently one day you'll be making big money 80k+... its messed up that they double student loan interest rates and there is no such thing as subsidized loans now... that makes the price of rose man go up almost 20k if you aren't taking loans out for living expenses. For me, we're going to have to take out 180k. and those minor changes with loans and interest rates makes it go up to 200k.... it's a hard knock life

Just curious are you going to school now? If so where?

:thumbup:
I admire your consistency! :)

Hi, all. For those in the MBA program, does anyone know if the school is going to be closed on the 4th of July? If it matters, I'll be attending the Henderson campus. I'm trying to make holiday plans! :D

Got my acceptance call from Dr. DeYoung yesterday :) FINALLY!!! Will be going to the Nevada campus. BTW I was ranked from 76-100 and got in after sending in my new transcript. Good luck everyone!!!!

Got my acceptance call from Dr. DeYoung yesterday :) FINALLY!!! Will be going to the Nevada campus. BTW I was ranked from 76-100 and got in after sending in my new transcript. Good luck everyone!!!!

Congrats :) Was the 76-100 ranking your original wait list position? Did you get an update on your rank in early June?

wow that's awesome! good to know there is always hope even in July for those who are still waiting

Ya I got an update around June. My rank then was 50 for nevada and 20 for utah, but decided on nevada because my fiance lives there. :)

Ya I got an update around June. My rank then was 50 for nevada and 20 for utah, but decided on nevada because my fiance lives there. :)

Man, your updated grades must have really made a huge difference :) I was originally in the 76-100 group for Nevada, then got bumped up to top 30. Guess you jumped over me haha, wishing you the best though. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Man, your updated grades must have really made a huge difference :) I was originally in the 76-100 group for Nevada, then got bumped up to top 30. Guess you jumped over me haha, wishing you the best though. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

whats your stats like after you send in your transcript?

whats your stats like after you send in your transcript?

With my updated transcript, I moved into the top 30 for Nevada and the top 10 for Utah. I'm too lazy to recalculate my GPA and stuff haha.

hey kaishear do you mind sharing your gap/pcat etc?

hey kaishear do you mind sharing your gap/pcat etc?

I don't have my exact GPA since I attended two school to meet the prerequisite requirements. The secondary school I went to, I only took bio courses so I know that definitely changed my overall bio GPA and I'm sure it factored into my overall GPA, I'm just not sure by how much. So here is what I do know (separately) haha,

Overall GPA (from UC) 3.2
Bio GPA (from UC) 3.0
Bio GPA (from secondary school) 3.9
PCAT: 79
5+ Years pharmacy tech experience

The bio GPA from my secondary school is what I sent in during the end of May to update my application with Roseman, so I'm not exactly sure how they recalculated everything.

wow lol 3.9 even if it was a few classes it probably really changed your competitiveness. Especially since it's more recent.

Has anybody been able to contact Dr Deyoung? I have emailed him but no reply? Should I call him?

wow lol 3.9 even if it was a few classes it probably really changed your competitiveness. Especially since it's more recent.

Hopefully haha :) I'm still waiting though...and it's driving me crazy. The grade update may not have been a big enough push this year...so maybe next year it'll help out more if I reapply.

I know Dr. DeYoung was out of the office for about 3 weeks towards the end of June, but he should be back now. I had emailed him on July 3rd to see if the wait list ranks changed and he got back to me the same day, so if he hasn't responded to you yet thesituation559, I would definitely call and see what's up.

i emailed him yesterday and he responded back to me today in regards to my update.
Samething with me, I'll just go ahead to start the 2013 application and take the PCAT all over again, see you guys next year

FYI you have to do it through PHARMCAS now to apply for Roseman. Kind of sucks.

FYI you have to do it through PHARMCAS now to apply for Roseman. Kind of sucks.
YES I know, already start the Pharmcas Application and also will have other schools to pick from Good thing.

meh. good, but you still have to do the same steps as last year on top of that. So technically it's like double the work. If there weren't additional applications on top of PHARMCAS I would love it.

Speaking of which what do you include usually in your personal statement?

Hey, just wanted to respond to the questions about having kids and going through school one page back...

I just finished P1 at south jordan and passed all of the classes. It was hard, but is doable. I have a wife and 2 kids with a 3rd set to be born next week. I had plenty of time to see them every other week. Having the 2 week block, I would hang out with the family and neglect school and then study like a maniac during test week. (Not a very fun or healthy way to do it)

My point is that you just have to find something that will work for you and not allow yourself to get overwhelmed with what is required of you.

Also congrats to thedave on being accepted. I got in the second time I applied.

Samething with me, I'll just go ahead to start the 2013 application and take the PCAT all over again, see you guys next year

I have seen many friends re-applying the in the 2nd year or the 3rd year, and finally they got into pharm school they really like.

If pharmacy is your love and you want it as your future career, go for it! Just re-apply! You will eventually get in!
:thumbup: