Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No More Pharmacist Shortage

The glut is already here!! The recruiter for the [EMPLOYER NAME WITHHELD] Poison Center tells me that 6 months ago a posting for a pharmacist position would generate 3 to 4 applicants. Now he gets 120 to 130 applicants.

Schools continue to open, and class sizes are continually increased. Schools generate revenue by making PharmDs. There is no incentive for schools to consider their students' employment prospects. A recruiter tells me that all major metropolitan areas are totally saturated for retail and hospital pharmacists.
—Guest EyesNowOpen

That's why I don't know what those organizations like APhA are doing. For doctors/physicians, their organization AMA is very powerful, and strickly limits number of medical students in the market, now and in the future.

You must already have heard that there will be about 20,000 physician shortage for the next 10 years nationwide, especially in primary care physicians. (Doctors tend to go specialty, to make more money) So, maybe you should consider medical school instead of pharmacy school for your future.

Or you may consider nursing school. One of my friend just graduated in this June with her nursing associate degree. She spent only $5,000 total in nursing tuition for two years. And a local community hospital hired her right upon her graduation as in ER, with a decent pay about $43/hr. Not bad at all! (Compared to RPh!) Plus, she works only three days a week!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should at least pick a believable time frame for the jump.

Also I don't know where you're from, but here in Nevada we have too many people trying to be nurses or so I'm told by every nursing major I come across, but hey maybe people should stop derailing the thread.

Plus Winvian said if you're fluent in one of those languages you're fine.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and I have an interview date for next month and so I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for the interview prep or hotel locations? It would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
No More Pharmacist Shortage

The glut is already here!! The recruiter for the [EMPLOYER NAME WITHHELD] Poison Center tells me that 6 months ago a posting for a pharmacist position would generate 3 to 4 applicants. Now he gets 120 to 130 applicants.

Schools continue to open, and class sizes are continually increased. Schools generate revenue by making PharmDs. There is no incentive for schools to consider their students’ employment prospects. A recruiter tells me that all major metropolitan areas are totally saturated for retail and hospital pharmacists.
—Guest EyesNowOpen

I think your probably right. I heard there is a big demand lately for Walmart greeters and you won't have a mountain of debt to pay back. Relax and have a cookie. Your worries are over.:D

:thumbup:
I don't know why people are so concerned, just be awesome and you will get hired. I'm a damn good pharmacy tech and I know I'll be a damn good pharmacist.

Well Said!!

Has any one received an interview this week yet?

I received an e-mail that they received my application on 12/1. I got an invitation for an interview the next day 12/2 . I am interviewing at the Utah Campus on 01/19 . Good luck everyone and congratulations to those that have been accepted!

:( I turned in mine a month ago, still nothing. :(

I received an e-mail that they received my application on 12/1. I got an invitation for an interview the next day 12/2 . I am interviewing at the Utah Campus on 01/19 . Good luck everyone and congratulations to those that have been accepted!

I was one of the last people to get in...I interviewed in Nov and didn't get in until 2 weeks before orientation. Don't give up hope!!

Your admission timing has got me wondering.. If all the candidates that were interviewed will hear back by may the latest, then were you notified in may of being on a waitlist?

:( I turned in mine a month ago, still nothing. :(

It's not a good sign though based on this. Roseman's processing is pretty fast. I remember the next day they received my PCAT score, I got invited for interview.

yeah same here i turned my application in november 21st and i still havent heard anything from them :(

I'm coming in with a 2.8 though :|

i heard that some students got accepted with a 2.8 gpa
im applying with a 3.1 gpa and i am just hopeful to get an interview invite.

I'm already going in with my eyes open. I don't need another person to tell me the obvious. I know about the job situation and quite personally I don't care this is what I want to do. People act like other job fields are just booming right now. I've never thought I was going to be able to practice where I wanted and quite honestly I don't care where I practice, in the end a job is a job. Maybe you shouldn't assume that my telling somebody to stop trolling means I don't know how the job market is.

Not everything is about you. It is a fairly common practice to use someone's quote to address the general reading audience and not the specific person quoted. That is why I used the term "you guys" instead of using the pronoun you. I do find it interesting that in a post scolding me for making assumptions about the thoughts in your head, you made assumptions about what I was thinking and got it wrong. I appreciate the irony.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are the places where no one wants to live?

Now I'm going to offend people. Perhaps Fresno, CA or Kingman, AZ are really nice places to live but they wouldn't be my first choice. I'd still live there, though, if it meant the difference between having a job or not.

...when I was looking several months ago there were several opportunities in and around Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Denver and Boise. Those are all places that I consider nice places to live.

And yes, maybe you'll be able to find the job you want where you want. It does still happen:)

Last edited:
Now I'm going to offend people. Perhaps Fresno, CA or Kingman, AZ are really nice places to live but they wouldn't be my first choice. I'd still live there, though, if it meant the difference between having a job or not.

I live in Fresno lol I don't know how the job market for pharmacist is here tho. I don't think it's doing to well?

From what I heard, there are still pharmacist jobs in Central California, although I could be wrong at this point. After all, it doesn't seem like many people would want to move there.

Last edited:
It's more like high, medium, and too low may be an auto-reject. If you're a November interviewee and don't get rejected soon afterward, you're still in good shape IMO. Just stay patient.

I am inferring that you mean a rejection email within a few weeks after the interview.

So I got a notification that they received my application on november 30 but I haven't gotten anything about an interview yet. Im panicking. Please someone tell me that theyre still in the same boat as I am...

So I got a notification that they received my application on november 30 but I haven't gotten anything about an interview yet. Im panicking. Please someone tell me that theyre still in the same boat as I am...

I turned my application in nov21 and havent received any invite. but im sure the school is closed for the holidays. maybe we will hear something back in January :xf:

Does anybody know when will Dr. DeYoung's next wave of acceptance? Is it safe to say after the January interviews when he re-ranks the applicants?

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

What is the link for possible questions that may get asked?

Does anybody know when will Dr. DeYoung's next wave of acceptance? Is it safe to say after the January interviews when he re-ranks the applicants?

The best I can speculate is the first week of Feb. It appears like it took 3 weeks last time.

I talked to a pharmacist who graduated from Roseman University, did her residency for 1 year at the Nevada Health system .. can't recall the exact name. She got hired immediately after residency in a hospital in CA. That's a fact.

Anyone have the link to possible questions or know any questions that may get asked or will the people that were accepted will you tell us what you were asked. Thanks....

Anyone have the link to possible questions or know any questions that may get asked or will the people that were accepted will you tell us what you were asked. Thanks....

According to the Roseman website

Candidates are interviewed by a panel that consists of one faculty member and one student from the College of Pharmacy. Through various questions the panel assesses the candidate's abilities in:

• Oral communication skills
  • Working within a team
  • Leadership
  • Motivation
  • Problem solving
  • Professionalism

I think the questions are random, but I hope this helps illustrate what to expect.

Hey guys, I was reading old posts on Roseman when it was USN, people were having problems with the curriculum then and was not fond of the 90% pass rate on assessments along with the professors and what not. I was wondering if things have improved at the school and if there are any current students that can give some real and honest input about what the atmosphere is like now. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone received a call or e-mail recently?

Starting with post #264 of this thread on Nov 29 a few people have already received an early acceptance phone call. There may not be any more similar phone calls until Feb.

Does anyone know how soon waitlisting begins?

You won't know your spot on the wait list until after all of the interviews have been completed and all initial admission offers have be made.

nope, turned in my app since november. i havent heard anything. i wonder when are they gonna start giving out or emailing interview invites

According to the Roseman website

I think the questions are random, but I hope this helps illustrate what to expect.

The information you find on Roseman's website lists the areas that the questions will deal with. Here is a link to the Roseman interview survey that should give you a good idea as to what type of questions that are asked. http://studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=pharmacy
That would definitely be a good place to start if you are worried about what to expect.

Hey guys, I was reading old posts on Roseman when it was USN, people were having problems with the curriculum then and was not fond of the 90% pass rate on assessments along with the professors and what not. I was wondering if things have improved at the school and if there are any current students that can give some real and honest input about what the atmosphere is like now. :)

It's hard to say really. I can't comment on the Henderson campus but, for the most part, the faculty has stayed the same since the South Jordan campus opened. We have added more clinical faculty though for the P2 class this year that present lectures in their area of practice. Having many different professors presenting material in areas that they work in is nice because they know what they are talking about and they know what it is important for you as a pharmacist to know so that is where they focus their lectures. The down side to that is that sometimes you will have many different people writing your assessment so it's hard to guage what type of questions each one writes as everyone has different teaching styles and assessment expectations. Our last assessment had 6 different people writing questions for 8 days of lecture so that was pretty interesting.

The 90% pass rate is a tough thing, no doubt about it. But if you come to class everyday, pay attention and have good study habits outside of class, then passing the assessments is doable. You will be overloaded with information often enough (we had over 1100 slides over 8 days of lecture for our last assessment) that it may feel impossible to get through but after a few day of going over the material you get the hang of it. 90% passing score can be hard sometimes but I like it that way. Not only do you have to know your stuff to pass but it will easily weed out those who shouldn't be there. Besides, there is team points that can help you pass if you need them. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see a fellow student fail out, but if you don't put in the work and rise to the occasion then I don't think you should be in pharmacy school, IMHO.

Wow 1100 slides in 8 days, that is a lot. So you would study like 130 slides or so a day? Or print out the slides, bring them to class and take notes/mark important points when needed? I have good study habits, 1100 slides is a little intimidating though. Do you know which campus has the better pass rate and if so why do you think that campus does better?

The SO got an interview invite. Application complete on deadline (12/6).

As for stats, I'm not quite sure, but I know it's in the 3.7 region and a high 80 PCAT.

Last edited:
Wow 1100 slides in 8 days, that is a lot. So you would study like 130 slides or so a day? Or print out the slides, bring them to class and take notes/mark important points when needed? I have good study habits, 1100 slides is a little intimidating though. Do you know which campus has the better pass rate and if so why do you think that campus does better?

So far this year (P2) we have gotten at least 120 slides per day and as many as 240. Each assessment is usually 6 days worth of material but our last one was 8 days worth due to the Christmas break schedule. Some students print out the slides 4-6 per page and take notes by hand but other import them to OneNote and takes notes electronically. It totally depends on what works best for you. Really it's not too bad though. During P1 year, 80 slides was considered a lot and about the most you could get done in the 6 hour lecture but in P2 year we have way more material but we get done by lunch almost everyday. I'm not sure why that is but it's true.

I haven't heard any stats regarding which campus performs better but I'm sure they exist. At the South Jordan campus it seems like 15-20% of the class has to come back for Monday reassessment and the majority of those students pass. If I had to guess, I would say the South Jordan campus probably does a little better because when it gets cold there is nothing to do but stay inside and study whereas Henderson is usually always playing weather and there is a lot more things to do. Overall though, Roseman students at both campuses do very well. Bottom line is, if you make it graduation, then you will be well prepared for the NAPLEX and will do very well (99% passing rate for 2011 graduates). If given the choice, you should pick whichever campus is the best fit for you. Henderson campus is the more desired campus. It fills up the fastest.

Is the Reputation of Roseman getting better in Utah. I know it was rough with the U there. I heard students had a hard time finding places to intern since everyone favored the U and felt Roseman was going to come pump out students for 2 or 3 years and fail. Any input

So far this year (P2) we have gotten at least 120 slides per day and as many as 240. Each assessment is usually 6 days worth of material but our last one was 8 days worth due to the Christmas break schedule. Some students print out the slides 4-6 per page and take notes by hand but other import them to OneNote and takes notes electronically. It totally depends on what works best for you. Really it's not too bad though. During P1 year, 80 slides was considered a lot and about the most you could get done in the 6 hour lecture but in P2 year we have way more material but we get done by lunch almost everyday. I'm not sure why that is but it's true.

I haven't heard any stats regarding which campus performs better but I'm sure they exist. At the South Jordan campus it seems like 15-20% of the class has to come back for Monday reassessment and the majority of those students pass. If I had to guess, I would say the South Jordan campus probably does a little better because when it gets cold there is nothing to do but stay inside and study whereas Henderson is usually always playing weather and there is a lot more things to do. Overall though, Roseman students at both campuses do very well. Bottom line is, if you make it graduation, then you will be well prepared for the NAPLEX and will do very well (99% passing rate for 2011 graduates). If given the choice, you should pick whichever campus is the best fit for you. Henderson campus is the more desired campus. It fills up the fastest.

Ok that doesnt sound too bad....what about text books? I havent heard them mentioned, or does the material come strictly from whatever the school provides? What about professors, are they favored more at one campus? How many breaks do you guys get during the 6 hour lecture?

Is the Reputation of Roseman getting better in Utah. I know it was rough with the U there. I heard students had a hard time finding places to intern since everyone favored the U and felt Roseman was going to come pump out students for 2 or 3 years and fail. Any input

I'll assume you are talking about paid intern and not school intern hours but correct me if I'm wrong. Finding a paid intern spot along the Wasatch Front has gotten harder each year over the past several years. Not counting the students who went to non-Utah pharmacy schools and interned in Utah in the summers or during their last year of school while doing their APPEs in Utah, before USN opened their Utah campus in the Fall of 2006 you only had the UofU's 45(x4) students seeking paid intern work. Then USN-Utah opened with their first class-50 students. Then USN expanded to 80 students in 2007 and 90 in 2008. Now the UofU has 60 students per class and USN/Roseman has 110. Going from 45(x4) students along the Wasatch Front to 110(x3) plus 60(x4) is the main reason it is hard to find a paid spot. The poor economy the past 3 plus years has also made employers hire less.

Ok that doesnt sound too bad....what about text books? I havent heard them mentioned, or does the material come strictly from whatever the school provides? What about professors, are they favored more at one campus? How many breaks do you guys get during the 6 hour lecture?

There are not text books required. Everything you need to know for assessment purposes is included in the powerpoint, for the most part. There are a few exceptions when they want you to read an certain article which can also be testable. The sources that were used to make the powerpoint are always listed so if you want additional information or more detail explanations then you know where to get them. The campus library has many useful texts that you can use and there is also many electronic resources availabe to use as well.

As far as the professors go, that's hard to say. There are a handful of professors that lecture the same material at both campuses so I think the difficulty of the material is pretty much the same at both places. It seems like they are trying to separate the faculty a little more between the two campuses, especially the clinical faculty, as they have hired a lot new professors over the past year. One thing to note, even if there are different professors teaching the same block at each campus, each block has the same objectives so I would imagine the material is going to be pretty much uniform between the two campuses.

Breaks totally depends on how much material you have and what professor is teaching. Usually it's something like 10 min. break every 1.5 hours with an hour break for lunch.

I'll assume you are talking about paid intern and not school intern hours but correct me if I'm wrong. Finding a paid intern spot along the Wasatch Front has gotten harder each year over the past several years. Not counting the students who went to non-Utah pharmacy schools and interned in Utah in the summers or during their last year of school while doing their APPEs in Utah, before USN opened their Utah campus in the Fall of 2006 you only had the UofU's 45(x4) students seeking paid intern work. Then USN-Utah opened with their first class-50 students. Then USN expanded to 80 students in 2007 and 90 in 2008. Now the UofU has 60 students per class and USN/Roseman has 110. Going from 45(x4) students along the Wasatch Front to 110(x3) plus 60(x4) is the main reason it is hard to find a paid spot. The poor economy the past 3 plus years has also made employers hire less.

That and also the reputation that the U just feels they are better and look down and talk bad about students from Roseman. A friend told me that the reputation is only a Utah thing mostly because of the U. That in other states Roseman students are given the same chance as any other and not looked over like then are in Utah. Is there any truth to this?