Roseman University of Health Sciences (Entering 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The financial aid office is SO NICE and helpful! I went and spoke with them yesterday, spent over an hour reviewing all available options, and now feel much more prepared. Dorothy Levy, the main contact there, was the person with whom I spoke, and she said she was packaging aid info yesterday and we should receive emails from her explaining the aid package for which each of us qualify. So if you haven't received that yet, it's coming soon and includes a lot of loan info including the amounts you can take out, and if you've still got questions then definitely give her a call! She is also the work/study coordinator and said there are some positions available and they pay quite well.
Thanks for the update Panda fellow!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats for everyone that was accepted. As for people that are still waiting, don't give up.

For people that are planning to attend Roseman, if you don't mind me asking, I was wondering if you could give me some information on loans and such? Because with federal loans, I don't think it even enough to cover the tuition. So how are you paying for living expenses and such if you don't have any cash in hand? I was looking at private loans but still not sure :-( so if you know, please help me out.

Thanks guys,

There is second student loan that financial aid can help you apply for, total would be about 75k per year. The second loan covers the rest of the tuition and living expenses for one year. 75k per year kinda gives me anxiety so if I'm accepted I'm planning to work as much as I can.

Has anybody received any phone calls from Dr. park lately?

Hi all,
At the interview, i heard that students could do their summer rotations in other states if the school is able to find spaces. Is this true? If yes, how easy has it been for the school to find rotation spaces in other states and approximately what's the percentage of the students doing the rotations out of state? Does anybody know? Any information would be appreciated! :)
And since it seems like the Henderson campus is full as of last Thursday, if we accept a space in South Jordan and put the name on the waitlist for the Henderson campus, does the deposit transfer if a space opens up in Henderson and I get removed from the waitlist?

Hi Allez2014, it is true that you're allowed to do your summer rotations in other states if you like. There are a few already available that the school can set you up with if space permits. However, if you would like a particular area that is close to home or a particular hospital/chain retail that does not already have a contract set up with Roseman University, then it will your responsibility to set that up yourself. You basically have to reach out to the internship coordinator at the facility and work it out with them to see if they would be willing to take you on as an intern. Then, after they've agreed upon that with you then Dr. Oswald who is the IPPE-S coordinator for the summer between your P1 and P2 year will reach out to the facility and they will try to draw up a contract that both sides agree upon. If everything works out, you can do your internship there. Don't forget to make sure to apply for an internship license in the state you wish to do your rotation in as well. That will be your own responsibility. There is a good proportion of students who do their summer rotation out of state, typically in California. We've all set it up ourselves.

As for the waitlist between South Jordan and Henderson. I am under the impression that the deposit would transfer over. HOWEVER, please don't quote me on this cause I entered the Henderson campus directly without being on the waitlist. This would be an appropriate question to ask Dr. Park.

Best of luck to everyone!

I got a call from Dr Park on April 1st- she told me that all the spots on the Henderson campus were filled up already, and offered me the last spot at the South Jordan campus. Since I was given 2 weeks to send in my deposit and everything, I bet around that time some spots will come open and they'll be calling more people.
I interviewed 2/25 in Henderson, I am not a resident, and don't have a BA.

Last edited:
Hi Allez2014, it is true that you're allowed to do your summer rotations in other states if you like. There are a few already available that the school can set you up with if space permits. However, if you would like a particular area that is close to home or a particular hospital/chain retail that does not already have a contract set up with Roseman University, then it will your responsibility to set that up yourself. You basically have to reach out to the internship coordinator at the facility and work it out with them to see if they would be willing to take you on as an intern. Then, after they've agreed upon that with you then Dr. Oswald who is the IPPE-S coordinator for the summer between your P1 and P2 year will reach out to the facility and they will try to draw up a contract that both sides agree upon. If everything works out, you can do your internship there. Don't forget to make sure to apply for an internship license in the state you wish to do your rotation in as well. That will be your own responsibility. There is a good proportion of students who do their summer rotation out of state, typically in California. We've all set it up ourselves.

As for the waitlist between South Jordan and Henderson. I am under the impression that the deposit would transfer over. HOWEVER, please don't quote me on this cause I entered the Henderson campus directly without being on the waitlist. This would be an appropriate question to ask Dr. Park.

Thank you so much for the information, SweetANDSimple! Being able to do rotations in other states is one of the top factors in choosing school for me and so far I haven't seen a school with more flexibility with the rotation than Roseman.

Thank you so much for the information, SweetANDSimple! Since being able to do rotations in another state is one most important factor in choosing school for me, Roseman became one of my top choices after reading your post. Do you happen to have a list of pharmacies that the Roseman has already established contracts with? It seems very hard to find information on Roseman's IPPE and APPE sites online. I have one hospital in my mind that I really really want to do my rotations at (and work for after graduating) but it seems like they mostly take students for APPE and they have a strong relationship with the local pharmacy school that they fill the spaces with the students from that school. In this case won't it be easier for Roseman to directly contact the hospital to set up a contract? I mean, how easy/hard is it for a student to set up an IPPE by his/her own? Does Dr. Oswald help with students who have difficult time getting an IPPE position at the pharmacy of their choice? The "local pharmacy school" that I mentioned is the school that I had originally decided to attend (mainly because this school already has a contract with that hospital) but after receiving an admission offer from Roseman, I needed some assurance about the rotation before making my final decision. Please share any information with me (and other people on this forum)!! :)

Thank you!!!

I sent in my deposit yesterday. Probably will email them to get more info on how to apply for Aids since I completed the entrance survey on studentloans site, not sure what else to do.

I am only a sophomore in college but I always like to plan ahead. I've been looking into this school and so far it seems like it is the direction I want to go to get my PharmD; however, I have a few questions:
1) Is there anyway you can work while in school, or are the internships paid? I read that you work 40 hours in a pharmacy interning and I would hope they are paying you... how else are you going to be able to afford to live out there.
2) For those people who transferred from another state, was it a difficult transition? Was it easy finding somewhere to live and getting established? I currently live in GA and have never been to Nevada. This would be a big transition for me especially since it's across the country.
3) Also, I've been considering the MBA program. What are the pro's and cons of doing this program while getting your PharmD? If I am trying to own my own pharmacy do you recommend me getting my MBA?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only a sophomore in college but I always like to plan ahead. I've been looking into this school and so far it seems like it is the direction I want to go to get my PharmD; however, I have a few questions:
1) Is there anyway you can work while in school, or are the internships paid? I read that you work 40 hours in a pharmacy interning and I would hope they are paying you... how else are you going to be able to afford to live out there.
2) For those people who transferred from another state, was it a difficult transition? Was it easy finding somewhere to live and getting established? I currently live in GA and have never been to Nevada. This would be a big transition for me especially since it's across the country.
3) Also, I've been considering the MBA program. What are the pro's and cons of doing this program while getting your PharmD? If I am trying to own my own pharmacy do you recommend me getting my MBA?

Thanks!!!

It's always good to plan ahead.
1) Most interships I've found are paid, but you need to apply early and get your foot in the door. Some are 10 hrs/week while others are 20+.
2) Do you have any family in the west? My wife and I lived in Alabama for 4 years and loved it. Once we left it helped us to have family nearby for support during the transition. There are pros and cons to living in the south vs. the west, just depends on what your interest are.
3) Can't give advice on the MBA program, just doing the PharmD.

It's always good to plan ahead.
1) Most interships I've found are paid, but you need to apply early and get your foot in the door. Some are 10 hrs/week while others are 20+.
2) Do you have any family in the west? My wife and I lived in Alabama for 4 years and loved it. Once we left it helped us to have family nearby for support during the transition. There are pros and cons to living in the south vs. the west, just depends on what your interest are.
3) Can't give advice on the MBA program, just doing the PharmD.

I read during P1 they assign your internship... is that paid? Unfortunately, I don't have any family in the west. What are the pros & cons of living in the west vs. south?

^Pretty sure the cost of living is more over here than in the south. I only spent a week in Georgia (specifically Athens) but the biggest difference I noticed is probably the infrastructure. Being from CA I hated the roads/highways in GA, and there weren't as many food options or things to do for fun.

There is definitely a difference in the cost of living. In Alabama what costs $700/month in rent would cost $900-$1000 in nevada or utah. Another big difference is outdoor recreation. There are a lot more options to hike bike, rock climb, camp, fish etc in the west than in the south. The gulf coast is fun and everything, but the west has more options (and less bugs).

There is definitely a difference in the cost of living. In Alabama what costs $700/month in rent would cost $900-$1000 in nevada or utah. Another big difference is outdoor recreation. There are a lot more options to hike bike, rock climb, camp, fish etc in the west than in the south. The gulf coast is fun and everything, but the west has more options (and less bugs).

Oh the less bugs thins is SUPER important!!!! That's great. I can probably adjust to the cost - everything else sounds fun. Thanks guys!

I read during P1 they assign your internship... is that paid? Unfortunately, I don't have any family in the west. What are the pros & cons of living in the west vs. south?

You're correct, they do assign you an internship site during your P1 year as well as your summer and P2 year (aka IPPE). However, because you are earning school credit for it, you will not be paid. Any paid internships you do get will be consider a job and done on the side. There are students here who work which means that despite our rigorous coursework, it is possible. It all comes down to time management and what you're willing to give up (free time, extra study time, social life, etc) in order to work.

Anyone know what the policy is if for some reason you don't pass your in progress classes before August? Do you get to use your one time deferment and start next year? Or do you just lose your deposit and have to reapply next year?

I'm so nervous and exited. People at this school are so friendly. I hope that people that was waitlisted will hear back soon because I know a lot of people will decline their seats soon.

I emailed Dr. Park approximately where I stood on the waitlist for both Henderson and S. Jordan campus and she told me there are over 105 students ahead of me on the waitlist for Henderson and there are approx 40 students ahead of me for the S. Jordan campus. I'm pretty sure this may not apply to everyone who's on the waitlist but I just like to throw this info out there for those who are kinda curious how many are on the waitlist for both campuses. I interviewed at the Henderson location on 3/25.

Interviewed March 6 and got my acceptance call from Dr. Park last week! Took forever and I was freaking out. She told me that they send out the acceptances/waitlists soon after the interview. They hold off on rejections until the end of the cycle in May. Hope the info helps.

Roseman Henderson is my top choice, see you guys there in the fall!

I'm #80 on the waitlist for Henderson, what do you think my chances of getting in are ?

Hey guys!

Long time reader of SDN, and will be attending Roseman COP Henderson in fall.

Interview: 2/11
Acceptance: 2/22

I hope to join the FB page soon after the semester is over.

For all of you on the waitlist, do NOT worry. Just like bunny786 said, the waitlist MOVES and it moves frequently. Do not lose hope!

Good luck! :)

I'm #80 on the waitlist for Henderson, what do you think my chances of getting in are ?

Slightly average chance! I've heard of the waitlist move at least 40-50 spots, but it could always be more.

Thank you so much for the information, SweetANDSimple! Since being able to do rotations in another state is one most important factor in choosing school for me, Roseman became one of my top choices after reading your post. Do you happen to have a list of pharmacies that the Roseman has already established contracts with? It seems very hard to find information on Roseman's IPPE and APPE sites online. I have one hospital in my mind that I really really want to do my rotations at (and work for after graduating) but it seems like they mostly take students for APPE and they have a strong relationship with the local pharmacy school that they fill the spaces with the students from that school. In this case won't it be easier for Roseman to directly contact the hospital to set up a contract? I mean, how easy/hard is it for a student to set up an IPPE by his/her own? Does Dr. Oswald help with students who have difficult time getting an IPPE position at the pharmacy of their choice? The "local pharmacy school" that I mentioned is the school that I had originally decided to attend (mainly because this school already has a contract with that hospital) but after receiving an admission offer from Roseman, I needed some assurance about the rotation before making my final decision. Please share any information with me (and other people on this forum)!! :)

Thank you!!!

You do not do a hospital rotation until the summer. (At least that's how its turning out to be for us. They may decide to make changes your year.) During the summer rotations, you get 2 weeks at a hospital site and 4 weeks at a community site. We do 2 weeks during the summer at the hospital site which you can either decide to do in Henderson (or Utah if that's where you end up) and that will be set up by Roseman for you. If you would prefer to do the hospital and/or community sites at a location not in Henderson/Utah, then it will be your responsibility to set that up yourself. You are correct, many hospitals especially, will have established contracts with the pharmacy schools already in the area and I would think that those schools/contracts have priority. Thus, in my opinion, it is a bit more difficult for you to set these sites up yourself. This isn't to say that it is impossible. This simply implies that you will have to work a little harder to get it and to not be surprised if the contract may fall through and you don't get it. Roseman does work with the site to try to come up with a contract both sides agree upon so that you may be able to perform your internship there. However, it is your job to make the first step and get in contact with the person responsible for setting up these internships at that specific hospital. If you can have that person initially agree to take you on as an intern, that would be a good first step. It is simply not feasible for Roseman to have to find out who this person is, make contact with said person, explain to said person that you wish to perform your internship there and then establish a contract, etc. Imagine if even 50% of students from out of state were to expect Roseman to do that for them. It would be a even more difficult and lengthy process than it already is. Especially if Roseman already has contracts with the hospitals in the area that they can provide for you to perform your requirements at. Remember, it is not their obligation to accommodate your every wishes to go out of state for your internships. That is something extra that you wish to do. If you would like a better chance at working at a specific hospital, it may be better to simply go to the pharmacy school within the area. There are a lot of out of state students attending Roseman and many of them would ideally like to go back to their home state and perform their internships but it is not always possible. Dr. Oswald who is responsible for IPPE and Dr. Zarley who is in charge of APPE do what they can to help set up these out of state sites for you. However, sometimes things do not work out and it just doesn't happen. Contracts are a long and difficult process and sometimes both sides simply can't agree. After such point, there's not much else either side can do.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you!!!

I'm going to guess and say you're from Cali and you want to work at Kaiser (yeah?). Like SweetANDSour said, Dr. O is going to help you set up a contract only AFTER you've discussed this with the pharmacy manager/director. She's not here to persuade, only here to set up the terms.

It may be helpful to start networking with the pharmacist(s) and pharmacy manager/director before school starts. Talk to them now and tell them you're interested in applying to their pharmacy after graduation. See if they'll hire you for the summer as a clerk/tech or whatever you're qualified to do. If they're not looking to hire, maybe you can volunteer, shadow their pharmacist(s), or if all else fails, treat the manager(s)/director(s) to lunch and interview/network. At the very least, you'll have shown them you're motivated and you'll have established contacts for when you want to set up your IPPE or APPE rotations.

Some other things to consider: whether or not you're able to do your IPPE/APPE rotations at Kaiser, pay attention to opportunities during pharm school that will set you apart from other applicants come summer of 2017 when you're looking to land a job at your chosen pharmacy. I know of one pharmacist who got involved with volunteer opportunities and leadership opportunities at an east coast pharm school, came back to the west coast, and landed a job at Kaiser. The only other piece of advice I can give is to not limit yourself too much. Even with IPPE/APPE rotations, networking, and a great CV, a significant part of landing a specific job/residency/fellowship is going to be luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys.
I got my rejection letter today.
Kind of sad but I'm okay.

I will try again for next year !
Good job and good luck for all those that have been accepted.

Hi guys.

I am sorry to hear that but glad you've already got a plan for next year! Hope to pass you in the halls in 2015!! :D

Hi guys.

I'm sorry to hear that :( Did you apply to more than one school?

Hi guys.

Aww bummer! Do u know the reasons why you didn't get accepted?

Hi, I was just wondering... If I retake a science course, do they just get the highest or most recent grade? Or do they use the first and second take for the science GPA calculation?

Is anyone who got accepted even a little hesitant because of the cost?? Or am I the only one that doesn't want that kind of debt coming out of school?

Is anyone who got accepted even a little hesitant because of the cost?? Or am I the only one that doesn't want that kind of debt coming out of school?

Yes the amount of loans does freak me out!! It's a huuuge risk. Eeek. I'll be living on eggs and rice to keep cost down . I know I'm disciplined enough to taggle the debt when I graduate .

Hi, I was just wondering... If I retake a science course, do they just get the highest or most recent grade? Or do they use the first and second take for the science GPA calculation?
They take the highest grade..

Yes the amount of loans does freak me out!! It's a huuuge risk. Eeek. I'll be living on eggs and rice to keep cost down . I know I'm disciplined enough to taggle the debt when I graduate .

I'm leaning on pulling my acceptance. I can't justify a 200K+ loan for an 80K take home pay(taxes and student loan deductions plus 401K etc) :( huge huge decision tho

Hey everyone! Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted to Roseman!! For those of you who have been accepted and/or chosen to attend our South Jordan campus-- you should be excited! South Jordan is a beautiful area and our campus is gorgeous. I am from California and was accepted into Roseman in May of last year, the only spot available was for SoJo campus. A month later they offered me Henderson, but I already found a place to live out in Utah. Prior to the Henderson offer, I was afraid/ worried because I have NEVER even been to Utah; I never knewthe area or anyone that lived out here. But this has been the best move;the best decision I have ever made! There are times when I wonder what it would have been like to attend the Henderson campus.. But I don't regret making this move. I am sure Nevada (with all the bright lights) has a lot to offer, but Utah has something better to offer to supplement your education. If you are planning to do a residency, Utah has 5 highly ranked hospitals, Nevada has maybe 1. Here in Utah, it's easy to make friends, a lot of the other candidates have never been out here so you experience Ut together. We have a lot of eateries around campus. Did I already mention, that our campus is gorgeous?? So if you're thinking about how badly you've wanted to go to the Henderson campus and got stuck with South Jordan, think of the opportunities that could open up for you. If any of you have questions be sure to PM me. I'm a P1 and excited for the year to come to an end so I can begin P2. Looking forward to comments and questions.

I'm leaning on pulling my acceptance. I can't justify a 200K+ loan for an 80K take home pay(taxes and student loan deductions plus 401K etc) :( huge huge decision tho

Talk to a professor about this. They only bring in $90-ish before taxes and can give you an additional perspective on why/why not you should pursue pharmacy.

I'm going to be doing the dual degree & was curious how the p3 year works? Do you do your rotations while finishing your MBA classes?

Also, any advice on safe & local apartments in Henderson? :) super excited to start!!

For your P3 year, there's an "off" block and an "elective" block that the MBA courses will occupy. It'll be at the end of the school year, so if you're interested in a residency you'll have opportunities earlier in the year to complete certain rotations in preparation for your residency application.

Anything in the Green Valley area is relatively safe :D

Hey everyone! Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted to Roseman!! For those of you who have been accepted and/or chosen to attend our South Jordan campus-- you should be excited! South Jordan is a beautiful area and our campus is gorgeous. I am from California and was accepted into Roseman in May of last year, the only spot available was for SoJo campus. A month later they offered me Henderson, but I already found a place to live out in Utah. Prior to the Henderson offer, I was afraid/ worried because I have NEVER even been to Utah; I never knewthe area or anyone that lived out here. But this has been the best move;the best decision I have ever made! There are times when I wonder what it would have been like to attend the Henderson campus.. But I don't regret making this move. I am sure Nevada (with all the bright lights) has a lot to offer, but Utah has something better to offer to supplement your education. If you are planning to do a residency, Utah has 5 highly ranked hospitals, Nevada has maybe 1. Here in Utah, it's easy to make friends, a lot of the other candidates have never been out here so you experience Ut together. We have a lot of eateries around campus. Did I already mention, that our campus is gorgeous?? So if you're thinking about how badly you've wanted to go to the Henderson campus and got stuck with South Jordan, think of the opportunities that could open up for you. If any of you have questions be sure to PM me. I'm a P1 and excited for the year to come to an end so I can begin P2. Looking forward to comments and questions.

I'm looking forward to visiting the campus area this summer ! I am from Henderson and got accepted to sojo! I think being away from the strip might help me focus more :)[/QUOTE]

I'm looking forward to visiting the campus area this summer ! I am from Henderson and got accepted to sojo! I think being away from the strip might help me focus more :)
[/QUOTE]

Great! We have quite a few students from Las Vegas that picked South Jordan as their first choice just because they wanted to be away from home lol. It'll be a little bit of a change, lol you'll see. If you've seen the Henderson campus and was impressed with it, you'll think our campus is gorgeous! It's exactly like the pictures show with the snow capped mountains. The Dental building is 3 stories or something high and we are next door and our building is 2 stories high. We share our building with the nursing students. Aside from that, I agree being away from the strip will help you focus more and besides it'll make your winter and summer breaks much more enjoyable when you're visiting home. I definitely think coming to Utah regardless if it was your choice or not will be an experience you won't forget. Get ready for the snow! Welcome to SoJo!

I have a question for all of you. I am currently still taking pre-requisites for Roseman but I was wondering, do you all get a loan before getting accepted to pay off the school or did you guys get scholarships? Please help me out. I am also from Las Vegas, considering to move to Utah so I can be able to focus much more in school.

I have a question for all of you. I am currently still taking pre-requisites for Roseman but I was wondering, do you all get a loan before getting accepted to pay off the school or did you guys get scholarships? Please help me out. I am also from Las Vegas, considering to move to Utah so I can be able to focus much more in school.

The loan process doesn't start until u get the acceptance letter/email from Roseman. The loans won't be dispersed until the start of orientation. The school will pay the tuition first then anything extra is refunded to you. There are scholarships out there also but most of the deadlines are between jan - May, depending on the time frame u get accepted u may not have enough time to apply to scholarships.

Great! We have quite a few students from Las Vegas that picked South Jordan as their first choice just because they wanted to be away from home lol. It'll be a little bit of a change, lol you'll see. If you've seen the Henderson campus and was impressed with it, you'll think our campus is gorgeous! It's exactly like the pictures show with the snow capped mountains. The Dental building is 3 stories or something high and we are next door and our building is 2 stories high. We share our building with the nursing students. Aside from that, I agree being away from the strip will help you focus more and besides it'll make your winter and summer breaks much more enjoyable when you're visiting home. I definitely think coming to Utah regardless if it was your choice or not will be an experience you won't forget. Get ready for the snow! Welcome to SoJo![/QUOTE]

Thanks I'm actually getting excited! I'm just curious what's the living situation that most students choose? Are there near by apts for reasonable price?

Hey does anyone know when the people that have been accepted have to confirm by? also has anyone heard anything since the wait list email... Usually around that time the wait list starts to move.. Good luck to everyone I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hey does anyone know when the people that have been accepted have to confirm by? also has anyone heard anything since the wait list email... Usually around that time the wait list starts to move.. Good luck to everyone I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

For me it's may 6 I have to send my initial deposit to confirm. It's within 2 weeks from time I accepted the offer .

Congrats to everyone who got in. We're nearing the end of the year and it feels great! For those accepted to the Utah campus I'm sure you'll love it. I've visited Utah many times and it's a cool place to stay.
I chose the henderson (Vegas) campus because well it's vegas. Hahha but any choice is a great choice!!! Hope to meet you all next year!!