Roseman University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nevada campus! Haha I should've specified earlier. :oops:

Congrats Elcie! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Elcie! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Thanks, val848.

My current stats are:

BA in Biological Sciences
MS in Medical Health Sciences
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science: 3.3
PCAT: 97 composite

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey congrats! Were you on the waitlist? If so, what number?

Congrats to all who got accepted and please no offense to anyone, but I was just thinking is doesn’t sound quite fair to see people from earlier interviews on wait-list receiving updates &spots while some who interviewed later have never heard back and don’t even know where in this process they are. I wish I would have chosen an earlier interview date.:(

I'm soooooo happy:D:D:D:D:D:D!! I got the call May 7th while I was at work, at 8pm in Nevada, so Dr. Deyoung calls at all times of day. Accepted for Utah campus, wait listed for Nevada campus with 50 spots ahead of me. I interviewed on March 12. For those of you who interviewed later.. he's still making calls. Just hang in there guys! Can't wait to meet the rest of you guys!

Congrats to all who got accepted and please no offense to anyone, but I was just thinking is doesn’t sound quite fair to see people from earlier interviews on wait-list receiving updates &spots while some who interviewed later have never heard back and don’t even know where in this process they are. I wish I would have chosen an earlier interview date.:(

I had my interview back in Jan and haven't heard back. I don't think it matters when you had your interview. If you did well on your interview and have good stats, don't worry, you will get a spot eventually.

I'm soooooo happy:D:D:D:D:D:D!! I got the call May 7th while I was at work, at 8pm in Nevada, so Dr. Deyoung calls at all times of day. Accepted for Utah campus, wait listed for Nevada campus with 50 spots ahead of me. I interviewed on March 12. For those of you who interviewed later.. he's still making calls. Just hang in there guys! Can't wait to meet the rest of you guys!

Congrats! :)

Hey congrats! Were you on the waitlist? If so, what number?

Thanks! I was in the top 20 for Nevada as of the first week of April. I interviewed back in early February as well so I was waiting for a bit. I wish the best of luck to everyone else still waiting! Hang in there! :luck:

I received my MBA paperwork in the mail today... and I've found myself still debating whether or not I want to follow through with this dual degree opportunity. $20,000 extra for three more letters without experience doesn't really amount to much, no? I've done my research and am still 50/50 on this. There's no solid evidence that it will equal a higher salary nor necessarily a job over someone with just a pharmD. I just don't want to invest in something that won't benefit me in the long run. Anyone else having a difficult time? I know that all of us at this point are "overachievers" haha so we jump at the opportunity to get ahead.. but we're giving up a lot to pursue the dual degree. Which wasn't really a dream of mine to begin with. Any advice on what swayed you guys either way?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone called Dr. de young regarding their stat recently ? I wonder what his respond is , now that we are getting close to the end of this (May 15th).
PLEASE SHARE :cry:

I received my MBA paperwork in the mail today... and I've found myself still debating whether or not I want to follow through with this dual degree opportunity. $20,000 extra for three more letters without experience doesn't really amount to much, no? I've done my research and am still 50/50 on this. There's no solid evidence that it will equal a higher salary nor necessarily a job over someone with just a pharmD. I just don't want to invest in something that won't benefit me in the long run. Anyone else having a difficult time? I know that all of us at this point are "overachievers" haha so we jump at the opportunity to get ahead.. but we're giving up a lot to pursue the dual degree. Which wasn't really a dream of mine to begin with. Any advice on what swayed you guys either way?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2384201/

^^ This link helped me. Higher salary - yes. However, the article doesn't state whether compensation was higher because they were offered higher starting salaries for the same jobs or because they were landing higher-paying jobs (including leadership positions).

I was in the exact same situation as you yesterday when I finally asked the doctor I work for what the best course of action should be. He believed, in his opinion, that it's best to first get your PharmD and work in your field to find out what you really want to do. If in the end you find that you'd like to do some administration or managerial position then get an MBA degree AFTER at a top-tier school. I'll be honest, getting an MBA at Roseman who are not known for their MBA program, might not count for much. However, since money is somewhat of an issue for me (being $20,000 more than the already large tuition) it seemed like the best course of action (for me) would be to do the MBA after finding out what I want to achieve in the Pharmacy field later. The doctor also pointed out that doing it now might not surmount to much if you're not going to use it. It will most likely be more expensive later (I heard it was around $50,000 for a part-time MBA program at UCLA) but you'd have a steady job without having to worry about loans and go to school part-time and working while studying for an MBA.

It really is up to you in regards to NEEDING that degree. It's true that time efficiency seems very tempting, but I agree after the doctor put into prospective that if you don't need it now and it's through a LOAN it'll be more stress later. Also you might feel jipped if you don't use that degree later and thought how you could've saved yourself $20k (or more due to interests from loans and etc.) If your future goal has to do with pharmacy and any administration jobs then go for it, but if you're unsure (like me) just wait it out, experience the field, then make a decision if you want to go back to get another degree for what you want to do.

I hope this helped in some way. I had been contemplating about this for months ... After asking someone whose in the health care field, it helped bring a lot of clarity and gave me an idea of what I should do.

Reactions: 1 user
Rinrinrinoa, have you read the article I posted? My opinion was the same until I read this study. The study may suggest that simply having the degree could give you a deciding advantage, access to higher-paying positions, or at least the skills to negotiate a higher wage. Whatever it is, dual degree grads reported first-year earnings that were several thousand dollars higher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rinrinrinoa, have you read the article I posted? My opinion was the same until I read this study. The study may suggest that simply having the degree could give you a deciding advantage, access to higher-paying positions, or at least the skills to negotiate a higher wage. Whatever it is, dual degree grads reported first-year earnings that were several thousand dollars higher.

If you look at the method section, however, the results were based on the "76 students graduating from the South Carolina College of Pharmacy-Charleston in 2007."

My opinion is that the most ambitious pharmacist get an MBA. These pharmacist will continue to be so when it cones time to get a job which translates to higher pay.

If you look at the method section, however, the results were based on the "76 students graduating from the South Carolina College of Pharmacy-Charleston in 2007."

Do you feel the sample size is insufficient or the program and surrounding job environment is significantly different from any other place in the US? What do you think the data and feedback given by graduates would look like at Roseman?

Yes, I even have a physical copy as well since I checked out the stand they had regarding the dual program. I understand the study, however, that's not enough really to get me to think that I need to pay an extra $20,000 for a degree that I might not even really need until I know for sure in the future. I'm not trying to talk someone out of the program. I'm just expressing my experience, ideas and thoughts for the decision that I came up with. I was merely offering my advice and another perspective for them to look at.

For those that are going for the dual program kudos! I'm glad you guys know what you would like to do and want that advantage. All in all I wish everyone good luck with whichever program they decide to join and take part of.

My opinion is that the most ambitious pharmacist get an MBA. These pharmacist will continue to be so when it cones time to get a job which translates to higher pay.

True. That could definitely be another reason for the higher salaries. My guess is that it's a combination of situations - some are more ambitious, some get offered more money, etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have also read the study and agreed that the survey sample was too small. I would be more curious to find how the dual graduates of Roseman did and how many have actually used their MBA to get ahead.

Hmm, as of now, I'm doing more research on what I personally would like to do after I earn my pharmD and what field I want to dedicate myself to. If the MBA doesn't seem help me get there, I will most likely not go through with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have also read the study and agreed that the survey sample was too small. I would be more curious to find how the dual graduates of Roseman did and how many have actually used their MBA to get ahead.

The sample size was actually considered "relatively large" (see below). As far as whether the data applies to Roseman students: I don't see any unique variables that would set Roseman and/or this job market apart from the environment in which this survey was conducted. Can you? An MBA is just as valuable here as it is in South Carolina. I just wouldn't be so hasty to discredit peer-reviewed research.

"Despite the widespread popularity of these programs and the implicit assumption that an MBA must certainly be an asset to a health professional's career, this is the first published research comparing job placement and level of remuneration between a relatively large sample of students who chose to participate in one of these programs and those who did not. Considering the fact that few students typically enroll in dual-degree programs each year at any given institution, the number of graduates included in the survey (n = 17) was relatively large."​

With that being said, an MBA doesn't guarantee a job or anything else, so I'd agree with you about wanting to explore your options before deciding that an MBA is what you want. For me, if the MBA degree was considerably more expensive, added another year to my education, or if I didn't have these non-pharmacy business aspirations, then I'd be on the fence too. Besides, the biggest factor for landing that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is probably going to be "luck" :luck: than anything else :D

As far as whether the data applies to Roseman students: I don't see any unique variables that would set Roseman and/or this job market apart from the environment in which this survey was conducted. Can you? An MBA is just as valuable here as it is in South Carolina. I just wouldn't be so hasty to discredit peer-reviewed research.

A lot of Roseman students would most likely try to find jobs in the west coast versus east coast. In 2016, the job market might be different than it was in 1997.

Got accepted to Utah campus :):):):):)

Congrats! :)

I just got the email from them that I am in top 10 on waiting list :'( I guess no mire hope for this year:'(

Don't lose hope. Made the $1000 dollar deposit. And I might withdraw

Don't lose hope! Other students may withdraw and a spot will open up for you. You never know. Stay positive :)

Congrats to those accepted!

A lot of Roseman students would most likely try to find jobs in the west coast versus east coast. In 2016, the job market might be different than it was in 1997.

The study was meant to evaluate the value of the addition of an MBA. I'd argue that time period and location aren't significant variables because the value of an MBA hasn't changed significantly since 1997 and is just as valuable on the west coast as it is back east. It is true that relative pay changes based on location and the job market changes over time, but an MBA would continue to generate interest among employers and continue to prep students for business aspects if their field. Whatever the reason is that sets dual-degree grads apart from non-dual-degree grads is going to continue to set them apart today- especially as job competition rises (which would actually increase the value of an MBA).

Right? Correct me if there's something I'm not taking into account. Like I said - an MBA isn't a guarantee, so weigh your options. All I wanted to share is a study that showed that choosing the dual-degree yielded favorable results and it can do the same for y'all.

I just got the email from them that I am in top 10 on waiting list :'( I guess no mire hope for this year:'(
You do have a very good chance of getting in, I know people raking 50-60 on wait list got in last year

Alright Ya'll... this just in, Deyoung has confirmed that all spots have been filled in Both Utah and Nevada. Lets hope wait list goes through quickly. (cross fingers) :oops:

I am also on the fence about the MBA program at Roseman. My major concern is the accreditation from IACBE compared to AACSB. I noticed that the IACBE list of accredited programs does not contain any "major league" schools, but AACSB does. Does this really matter anyway?

Also, I've been looking at the part-time evening program at UNLV, but don't plan on applying to that program till next year. Anyone else thinking the same or looked into that? Thanks!

Has he sent out an email ? How come I haven't received anything yet ,
called him last week and he said , wait until may 15th.

Has he sent out an email ? How come I haven't received anything yet ,
called him last week and he said , wait until may 15th.

Yes, I got the email from him on saturday.

yes, emails were sent. you were given your wait list range and a wait list packet.

Has anyone from April 2nd interview received any emails, calls, waitlist form Roseman ?

I interviewed 4/2 & just got waitlisted via e-mail....I think its because im still working on my Pre-reqs...Anyhow,
Deyoung says to call back in June for rank...

I interviewed 4/2 & just got waitlisted via e-mail....I think its because im still working on my Pre-reqs...Anyhow,
Deyoung says to call back in June for rank...
it is not because of your pre-reqs,
I had them all finished and just got REJECTED :mad:

Hey yall. does anyone know how to get Hep A & Hep B shot series in less than 6 mos.. Sounds like vaccines must be in order prior to start of the program..I dont have record of these.. Any suggestions? :confused:

I'm getting my immunizations for Roseman also. You only need to show proof of starting it. Its all on that one sheet. Then after August 1st we do drug screening, and TB.

How do you know you got rejected?
This is the email I received today.

Thank you for applying to the program. The Admissions Office completed the last phase and final quality control checks on your application this week. The faculty faced the challenge of selecting a limited number of students for the incoming Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) class. There were more applications than seats this admission cycle. The Admissions Office regrets to inform you that you were not selected for admission into the class that begins the Pharm.D. program this fall.

This is the email I received today.

Thank you for applying to the program. The Admissions Office completed the last phase and final quality control checks on your application this week. The faculty faced the challenge of selecting a limited number of students for the incoming Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) class. There were more applications than seats this admission cycle. The Admissions Office regrets to inform you that you were not selected for admission into the class that begins the Pharm.D. program this fall.

Don't give up... If there is a will there is a way...
Some people, like myself, have tried more than once.
Stay positive and persistent. Best of Luck to you!!!

It was after 1pm for me.

I believe that's the total cost of the laptop and the 3 year warranty.

Don't under estimate the warranty. After two weeks of usage, I accidentally spilled milk over it and damage the motherboard. The warranty paid for all the repairs. :)

it is not because of your pre-reqs,
I had them all finished and just got REJECTED :mad:

moj101, I too had to reapply (was due to family circumstances). That year of reapplying is the WORST, but if you improve your essays and really study up on past interview questions, you should be ready to kick some A next year. What helped me: remembering that getting accepted next year and being a year behind won't matter at all in 20-30 years. Eyes on the prize :thumbup:

Hey yall. does anyone know how to get Hep A & Hep B shot series in less than 6 mos.. Sounds like vaccines must be in order prior to start of the program..I dont have record of these.. Any suggestions? :confused:

If you know you've had these vaccinations before, then you can get a titer to prove that you have the antibodies for them. I can't find my immunization records for some of my vaccinations, so I will be looking forward to getting pricked and having the titers done D:

When do we hear from financial aid? I got an email from Dr. Deyoung about him receiving my enrollment packet with my deposit, so now I'm just waiting to hear from financial aid. Scares me.. I just wanna make sure I'll have money for school and money for living expenses. Does anyone know about financial aid, or have any of you heard back from financial aid office?