Rosenberg Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

percyeye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew much about the Rosenberg School of Optometry in San Antonio Texas? If so if they knew what an interview day was like?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone knew much about the Rosenberg School of Optometry in San Antonio Texas? If so if they knew what an interview day was like?

Thanks

San antonio is an amazing city! The staff at RSO are the friendliest and most helpful that I have encountered. The school itself is located in the heart of the medical district and all the clinics are brand new! I am interviewing on Friday and an interview day consists of a brief welcome followed by one on one interviews. After interviews you have a chance to get information on financial aid, housing, and talk informally with staff and students. There's also a tour that concludes the day.

Thanks! I was offered an interview and I hadn't seen much on here about it. Thanks again for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know more about the school as well. Can any current students comment on their education/clinic?

i got an interview to this school as well. does anyone know more about the school?

i got an interview to this school as well. does anyone know more about the school?

I just received my acceptance for RSO yesterday so if you want any information on the interview I'd be more than happy to help. Class size is small, about 60 and the main clinic is onsite with an additional clinic being built in an area of need. The equipment is about is new as it gets and you name it, they had it. I was very impressed by how the administrative staff seemed to know every current student by name. I do not feel like I will be just a number there or get lost in the shuffle. All of the classes are in the same building with parking right on site. Vast amounts of housing options with in walking distance of campus. They seemed to genuinely care about us as individuals and our success as future optometrists regardless of whether we attended their school or not. As you can see, I am quite sold on RSO, I fell in love with it after my visit and I felt like it had a very conducive environment for success.

I just received my acceptance for RSO yesterday so if you want any information on the interview I'd be more than happy to help. Class size is small, about 60 and the main clinic is onsite with an additional clinic being built in an area of need. The equipment is about is new as it gets and you name it, they had it. I was very impressed by how the administrative staff seemed to know every current student by name. I do not feel like I will be just a number there or get lost in the shuffle. All of the classes are in the same building with parking right on site. Vast amounts of housing options with in walking distance of campus. They seemed to genuinely care about us as individuals and our success as future optometrists regardless of whether we attended their school or not. As you can see, I am quite sold on RSO, I fell in love with it after my visit and I felt like it had a very conducive environment for success.

that sounds great, does that mean you're sold on attending there? did you have any visit with other optom schools yet? my first is with Indiana, then RSO after.
Also, what kind of questions did they ask in the interview?

that sounds great, does that mean you're sold on attending there? did you have any visit with other optom schools yet? my first is with Indiana, then RSO after.
Also, what kind of questions did they ask in the interview?
Yes, I plan on attending there for sure! I have visited UHCO and have visits scheduled with Nova and Midwestern but I'm not sure I will be attending those since I really felt a connection with RSO and I'm from Texas (less than an hour from RSO) so it makes sense financially. I'm not worried about their accreditation status because they have many other successful professional programs already established and I am sure once they graduate their first class they will get accredited with no hiccups.

The interview was with a faculty member and lasted about 30 minutes

My interviewer asked:
Tell me about yourself.
What is an accomplishment you are proud of?
What does it mean to being professional entail?
How do you think an undergraduate and professional program differ?
How did you get interested?
Why is RSO a good fit for you?
What did you learn during shadowing?
How do you manage stress?
How would your friends describe you?
What would you bring to a professional program?

My tip for you: The interview technically starts when you walk in the door, ask questions in the holding room, participate in discussion, be memorable because the people in the holding room are some of the ones that will be reviewing your file.

Yes, I plan on attending there for sure! I have visited UHCO and have visits scheduled with Nova and Midwestern but I'm not sure I will be attending those since I really felt a connection with RSO and I'm from Texas (less than an hour from RSO) so it makes sense financially. I'm not worried about their accreditation status because they have many other successful professional programs already established and I am sure once they graduate their first class they will get accredited with no hiccups.

The interview was with a faculty member and lasted about 30 minutes

My interviewer asked:
Tell me about yourself.
What is an accomplishment you are proud of?
What does it mean to being professional entail?
How do you think an undergraduate and professional program differ?
How did you get interested?
Why is RSO a good fit for you?
What did you learn during shadowing?
How do you manage stress?
How would your friends describe you?
What would you bring to a professional program?

My tip for you: The interview technically starts when you walk in the door, ask questions in the holding room, participate in discussion, be memorable because the people in the holding room are some of the ones that will be reviewing your file.

cool, thanks for your help

I'm not worried about their accreditation status because they have many other successful professional programs already established and I am sure once they graduate their first class they will get accredited with no hiccups.

I wouldn't be so sure on this point. The ACOE is under a lot of pressure from practicing ODs to increase standards for OD programs in an effort to reduce the flood of new graduates into the already super-saturated market. If that does happen soon, it will put all of these new "pop-up" OD programs at risk. Don't assume that because a program is enrolling students that all will go smoothly with accreditation; sometimes it doesn't and students are left with their pants down. When it does happen, schools are usually ordered to repay tuition, but wasted time is not returnable. I'm not saying the school won't eventually be awarded a good status, but don't assume it, it's not a given.

You guys need to keep in mind that these new OD programs are in existence for one reason and one reason only; to make a profit from your tuition dollars. They are not starting up for the purpose of adding to the profession or bettering it in any way. The absolute last thing optometry needs right now is another OD program so you have to ask yourselves, "Why is this program here?" Treat the school as if it's selling you something and ask yourself whether the product they are selling to you, the customer, is worth the asking price.

Also, keep in mind that, as other ODs have pointed out, graduating from one of these new unnecessary schools will not likely put you in the prime running for one of the rare private practice associateships after graduation. A lot of private practice ODs are very upset with these new programs and what they're doing to an already struggling profession. There is some animosity, well deserved, directed at these new programs. Unfortunately, it's the graduates of the new schools who will shoulder the burden of that animosity, not the schools themselves.

If I were hell-bent on entering optometry in its current state, I'd be looking at ways to spend as little as possible on my degree to minimize my debt load after graduation. It can be daunting, especially when combined with declining income for ODs. Paying for one of these private schools will likely cost you over 200K in loans which will translate to almost twice that amount once repaid with interest. You'll be starting out at between 70K and 80K IF you're lucky enough to find a FT job. There's no practical difference between a $100K OD and a $200K OD, just the amount you pay for it and the difficulty in doing so.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure on this point. The ACOE is under a lot of pressure from practicing ODs to increase standards for OD programs in an effort to reduce the flood of new graduates into the already super-saturated market. If that does happen soon, it will put all of these new "pop-up" OD programs at risk. Don't assume that because a program is enrolling students that all will go smoothly with accreditation; sometimes it doesn't and students are left with their pants down. When it does happen, schools are usually ordered to repay tuition, but wasted time is not returnable. I'm not saying the school won't eventually be awarded a good status, but don't assume it, it's not a given.

You guys need to keep in mind that these new OD programs are in existence for one reason and one reason only; to make a profit from your tuition dollars. They are not starting up for the purpose of adding to the profession or bettering it in any way. The absolute last thing optometry needs right now is another OD program so you have to ask yourselves, "Why is this program here?" Treat the school as if it's selling you something and ask yourself whether the product they are selling to you, the customer, is worth the asking price.

Also, keep in mind that, as other ODs have pointed out, graduating from one of these new unnecessary schools will not likely put you in the prime running for one of the rare private practice associateships after graduation. A lot of private practice ODs are very upset with these new programs and what they're doing to an already struggling profession. There is some animosity, well deserved, directed at these new programs. Unfortunately, it's the graduates of the new schools who will shoulder the burden of that animosity, not the schools themselves.

If I were hell-bent on entering optometry in its current state, I'd be looking at ways to spend as little as possible on my degree to minimize my debt load after graduation. It can be daunting, especially when combined with declining income for ODs. Paying for one of these private schools will likely cost you over 200K in loans which will translate to almost twice that amount once repaid with interest. You'll be starting out at between 70K and 80K IF you're lucky enough to find a FT job. There's no practical difference between a $100K OD and a $200K OD, just the amount you pay for it and the difficulty in doing so.

Thanks, Jason, for this insight. As an applicant for the Fall of 2012 entering class, I have decided against applying to any of the schools that are in the 'pre-accreditation' status for the very reason you stated. I want to guarantee that my efforts will be rewarded with an accepted degree not only legally but amongst those already in the field. I used to work in retail as an optician, and those optometrists already working have been established for years, decades even and they have a very weighted say in who the company hires. The fact of the matter is whether it is fair or not doesn't seem to reflect in the decisions that are actually being implemented.

I think that is the only thing I've ever read by Jason I don't completely hate. Good job. =}

I think that is the only thing I've ever read by Jason I don't completely hate. Good job. =}

Be careful what you say you hate - it's going to be your reality very soon. You can tell yourself that you're going to be different, you'll work harder, you'll be smarter, you'll somehow plan ahead and avoid what the masses will not. You'll somehow get out of optometry school with a thousand dollars in student loans while everyone else borrows 180K. You're not even in optometry school yet. You've got years to go before you enter the profession. That's a long time for optometry to fall even further than it already has. You're heading toward a career with lower pay, lower quality of work, longer hours, and more lost weekends, all in the exciting world of commercial optometry. You just don't know it yet. Was that more like it?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
......I have decided against applying to any of the schools that are in the 'pre-accreditation' status for the very reason you stated.

I think this is a wise choice, no matter what profession we're talking about. Applying to a non-accredited school for any degree is asking for trouble. The only people who should be considering these schools are ones who have extremely poor grades and/or test scores and can't get into a reputable school.

Be careful what you say you hate - it's going to be your reality very soon. You can tell yourself that you're going to be different, you'll work harder, you'll be smarter, you'll somehow plan ahead and avoid what the masses will not. You'll somehow get out of optometry school with 1K in student loans while everyone else borrows 180K. You're all heading down the same path, a career with lower pay, lower quality of work, longer hours, and more weekend work, all in the exciting world of commercial optometry. You just don't know it yet. Did you hate hearing that? It's the truth.

Is there ANY positive side to a career in optometry because you seem to not have anything but negative things to say? Every OD I've shadowed did nothing but encourage me to pursue this as my career choice. I've honestly wanted to be an optometrist since I was seven and everything I've worked for has been to achieve that goal. There's nothing else I could see myself doing, so I think it's a little too late to jump ship now and scramble to find a new career. I want to go to RSO because it's really close to my home and my family and they made me feel like more than a number, which is a lot more than I can say for the vast majority of the other schools I've been in contact with. You seem to be spending a great deal of time in the pre-optometry forum trying to convince anyone and everyone that optometry is not the way to go so why are other OD's so supportive of the profession?

I think this is a wise choice, no matter what profession we're talking about. Applying to a non-accredited school for any degree is asking for trouble. The only people who should be considering these schools are ones who have extremely poor grades and/or test scores and can't get into a reputable school.

ALL schools were once not accredited, even the most prestigious let's not forget that.

Is there ANY positive side to a career in optometry because you seem to not have anything but negative things to say? Every OD I've shadowed did nothing but encourage me to pursue this as my career choice. I've honestly wanted to be an optometrist since I was seven and everything I've worked for has been to achieve that goal. There's nothing else I could see myself doing, so I think it's a little too late to jump ship now and scramble to find a new career. I want to go to RSO because it's really close to my home and my family and they made me feel like more than a number, which is a lot more than I can say for the vast majority of the other schools I've been in contact with. You seem to be spending a great deal of time in the pre-optometry forum trying to convince anyone and everyone that optometry is not the way to go so why are other OD's so supportive of the profession?

The scenario you're mentioning is pretty much the entire reason I'm on here. There's no shortage of established ODs out there who graduated from optometry school in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, started their practices, and did very well. They left school with far less debt, made more money, and dealt with a very different set of obstacles than new grads deal with today. As I've said many times on this site, don't look at what older, established ODs have and think you can duplicate it. You can't. They're happy with their situation and what they've been able to accomplish. You're going to travel a very different road, one they don't have to travel on even for a minute. Many of them know it, some of them don't realize it, and some just don't want to come off like they don't like their profession. One thing is for certain, however - optometry is terrible at addressing its problems, particularly when it comes to exposing them to those who are interested in the profession. The problems are discussed openly among ODs, but they're "swept under the rug" when it comes to applicants and the public.

I'm sorry if what I have to say seems overly negative, but rest assured, while there may not be hundreds of ODs on this particular site exposing all of optometry's problems, my views are not at all unusual in the profession. The problems are here, they're real, and they're only going to get worse.

If they're treating you well, it's because they're smart. They know that now, more than ever, you have to be "sold" on their product. They're selling something that exists already in gross excess. When you do that, you have to compete by offering something above and beyond your competition. I'll say again that these new schools are not here for you, for optometry, or for anything else other than to collect your tuition money. All of the other reasons and justifications for these new schools can be shot down easily and just about every practicing OD in the US knows that. There are even faculty from RSO on ODWire anonymously expressing concerns with some of the things the school is doing. That's terrifying. It's all about money, remember that.

ALL schools were once not accredited, even the most prestigious let's not forget that.

That's true, all schools have to start somewhere, but the pressures that exist against new OD programs were not there when most current programs started. Practicing ODs are furious with these new programs and there's a lot of talk about how to get them squashed. If you've already decided on RSO, I wish you the best, but optometry school is stressful enough without having to worry about the validity of the degree you're working towards. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
hi, could the people who received interviews at RSO-San Antonio list their stats, thanks!

hi, could the people who received interviews at RSO-San Antonio list their stats, thanks!

I have an interview there on the 20th of Jan.
My stats are 3.1 GPA OAT: 330TS 330 AA

Who else is going to be interviewing there on January 20th?

Thanks, Jason, for this insight. As an applicant for the Fall of 2012 entering class, I have decided against applying to any of the schools that are in the 'pre-accreditation' status for the very reason you stated. I want to guarantee that my efforts will be rewarded with an accepted degree not only legally but amongst those already in the field. I used to work in retail as an optician, and those optometrists already working have been established for years, decades even and they have a very weighted say in who the company hires. The fact of the matter is whether it is fair or not doesn't seem to reflect in the decisions that are actually being implemented.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I

Blazen dont be afraid of a "Pre Accreditation" Label on a school, I am a class of 2014 student @ RSO and that kind of stuff never crosses our minds because its just a formality, these new schools have way too much money invested not to get accredited.

I think the school is great. The Profs are really nice and friendly especilly after you get past your 1st semester.

Jason from Chicago has been talking a lot of negativity, maybe our school didn't want him at one point or another.

Last edited:
Blazen dont be afraid of a "Pre Accreditation" Label on a school, I am a class of 2014 student @ RSO and that kind of stuff never crosses our minds because its just a formality, these new schools have way too much money invested not to get accredited.

I think the school is great. The Profs are really nice and friendly especilly after you get past your 1st semester.

Jason from Chicago has been talking a lot of negativity, maybe our school didn't want him at one point or another.

Are you suggesting you can buy accreditation?

First, I don't know how many times I can say this, but I am not in Chicago.

Second, it's incredibly naive to assume that pre-accredidation status is "just a formality." The amount of money spent does not guarantee accreditation, particularly when the AOS is putting a lot of pressure on the AOCLE/AOA to increase standards, making new schools potentially "unaccreditable." Believe me, there aren't many ODs in the US who would shed a single tear if all of the new programs went belly-up and did not achieve accreditation. Talk to some students at law schools that sprang up in the early 2000s only to never get accreditation status, leaving several classes with a useless J.D. It happens.

Thirdly, I only applied to one optometry school and was easily accepted. Your theory doesn't hold any water. Try again.

It says Jason is already an optometrist. Pretty sure if he is an optometrist now your school didn't exist at that point.

Come for a site Visit Jason, I hope you are still around in 2 months after our 3rd years take their NBE's. Our curriculum is based on the top 5 programs in the country.
But you are correct, with the new programs starting up with all the latest technology, including the latest on diagnostics & treatments (like gene therapy), things that they never dreamed of when older ODs were in school I would be nervous if I was a dinasour in an exponentially advancing profession. Yea you have your CE classes but that's where u go in order to keep your license. I do agree however that we should keep it at 20 schools, we don't want to over saturate the field like all the Law programs did. Although statistics show that older OD's are retiring at a healthy rate where we dont have to worry.

And I figured you were from Chicago because I was going to come visit your office and see it for myself.

Come for a site Visit Jason, I hope you are still around in 2 months after our 3rd years take their NBE's. Our curriculum is based on the top 5 programs in the country.

Please tell me this was meant to be sarcastically humorous because if you're serious, this is truly demented. Gene therapy? Are you kidding me? Most grads are having trouble even finding Walmart jobs and you're going to tell me about gene therapy? Rest assured, my friend, few ODs will ever make any use of gene therapy beyond referring to an MD for said therapy measures. While your new and very unnecessary school may have millions of dollars of fancy toys (paid for by tuition dollars so that the "non-profit" institution can remain as such in the eyes of the IRS), it does not change the fact that the school, itself, is only adding to an already hyper-saturated market of ODs.

But you are correct, with the new programs starting up with all the latest technology, including the latest on diagnostics & treatments (like gene therapy), things that they never dreamed of when older ODs were in school I would be nervous if I was a dinasour in an exponentially advancing profession. Yea you have your CE classes but that's where u go in order to keep your license.

Your statements lead me to believe that you are of the grossly misled notion that future ODs will be facing technology as their greatest hurdle. You are unfortunately completely disconnected from reality with regard to what future grads will be facing - not an unusual situation for an academic. Future grads will be entering a profession which does not need or want them. Their "technology" background can not save them from that reality.

Furthermore, the clinical strength of any program lies mostly in the quality of its externship sites. Most students will agree that they "learned to be a doctor" at off-site rotations, not at the school's clinic. This has nothing to do with the technology or facility, but more to do with the fact that school clinics are not run like private offices, hospitals, or other real-world settings. They're run like schools. It takes a long time to develop quality over quantity in externship programs. Sorry, but your external sites leave much to be desired.

I do agree however that we should keep it at 20 schools, we don't want to over saturate the field like all the Law programs did. Although statistics show that older OD's are retiring at a healthy rate where we dont have to worry.

I'm glad you want to cap it off at 20 schools, because we would't want to have an excess, right? This is like saying that people should cap the night at 20 beers because 21 would simply be too much. We should be discussing the closing of several OD programs or at the very least, the dramatic reduction in class sizes at all programs.

I don't mean to be harsh, but your statements are in line with typical "pie in the sky" academic viewpoints; totally disconnected from reality and real-world practice. Keep telling your students they'll be out there doing ERGs, fluorescein angios, and gene therapy. I'm sure they'll be thrilled when they can't even land a job at a sleazy Pearle Vision. New programs are not needed. No amount of smoke and mirrors can change that. Throwing millions of dollars into a fancy new clinic might wow students, but it does nothing to change the fact that the degree your students will be working toward will be highly overvalued and will be essentially worth a fraction of what they pay for it. Shame on the new schools for charging the highest tuition while providing the weakest diplomas and education.

And I figured you were from Chicago because I was going to come visit your office and see it for myself.

One more time. I'm not from and I'm not in Chicago. I don't know how else to say it.

And one final question: What exactly do you tell students about the oversupply issue? I'd love to know.

Last edited:
But I am going to...

Technology is ever changing, and the "latest" that you have at your school today.. will most likely be gone tomorrow.

Yes, CE is for us to keep our licenses active, but the purpose is to keep current on changes/advances in the medical profession.. and... the "latest" technology. Your education doesnt end after four years.

What disturbs me the most, is that these students at the new schools seem to be short sighted. Obtaining an OD isnt the end of it, its just the beginning.

I would be asking, "What am I going to do after I graduate if the school is still in preliminary accreditation (or GOD FORBID! accreditation revoked)?" All states (if I am not mistraken), require you to have graduated from an approved/accredited school optometry. If your school isnt accredited, guess what, you arnt getting a state license. Without that license, you wont be able to get that awesome job at America's Bestness.

Dont want to scare you, but its a serious question. No job and massively in debt, isnt a good combo. Another important point: its difficult as it is to join insurance panels going to an accredited school; I cant imagine what the companies are going to do when they see an influx of NEW optometry school applicants. Im assuming its going to be very difficult becoming a provider. The credentialing process will be endless since most of them will have never heard of these programs.

The optometrists that these students "shadowed" did them a great disservice, if you cant get into an accredited program this year or the next, maybe its time to do something else.

oh.. and ABSOLUTELY, the quality and diversity of your extern/clinic has a tremendous effect on how well you will be prepared. You can memorize the Wills Manual all you want, but its going to mean nothing if you have no idea how to manipulate the information. You cant always "turn to page 64" to find the answer.

I am curious to know how clinic is and what extern sites the schools are affiliated with.

But you are correct, with the new programs starting up with all the latest technology, including the latest on diagnostics & treatments (like gene therapy), things that they never dreamed of when older ODs were in school I would be nervous if I was a dinasour in an exponentially advancing profession. Yea you have your CE classes but that's where u go in order to keep your license. I do agree however that we should keep it at 20 schools, we don't want to over saturate the field like all the Law programs did. Although statistics show that older OD's are retiring at a healthy rate where we dont have to worry.

Your post demonstrates an extreme disconnect with the real world.

Im flattered by all of your concern regarding job security for new grads once out of school. I personally have a private practice (not Americas Bestest, Peral, or Walmart) that I will be working for once Im done.
I just dont understand all the animosity & negativity, are all on you that scared for your future job security? So the plan is lets go onto "student" forums and try to bash as much as possible maybe turning one or two people away from that profession.
Guess what? It doesn't work fellas, so get out there refract, refract, refract, because that's your bread and butter.

Thank You & I approve this message

Im flattered by all of your concern regarding job security for new grads once out of school. I personally have a private practice (not Americas Bestest, Peral, or Walmart) that I will be working for once Im done.
I just dont understand all the animosity & negativity, are all on you that scared for your future job security? So the plan is lets go onto "student" forums and try to bash as much as possible maybe turning one or two people away from that profession.
Guess what? It doesn't work fellas, so get out there refract, refract, refract, because that's your bread and butter.

Thank You & I approve this message

After reading your last post, for some reason, I thought you were a faculty member. When you started carrying on about gene therapy and referring to 3rd year students in the possessive, it seemed that way. It's obvious to me now that you're a 1st year student. Don't worry. Every 1st year OD student has a lot of enthusiasm and hope for the future of the profession. I know I did. You have no reason not to since everything you're exposed to is intentionally positive due to misdirection and good sales tactics by your school and the AOA. Your level of cluelessness is not unexpected, but it is nonetheless terrifying. You guys just don't seem to understand that no ODs on this forum are here for their own benefit. We're here to warn you of something of which you are painfully unaware. Your school and the other new programs out there are taking your money and pumping it right back into the program's fancy toys and beautiful buildings. Ever wonder why they do that? Is it to impress you? Nope, students are lining up at some of the crappiest schools in the country so fancy facilities are not necessary. They do it so they can maintain a "non-profit" status. Your tuition goes to to inflated deans' salaries, fancy equipment that you'll never be able to use in practice since you'll be working commercial, and trying to convince more suckers to go into optometry.

I sincerely hope your private practice opportunity has a salary negotiated already. Otherwise, you might be surprised when you're offered 65K as your starting pay. If you haven't discussed pay yet, I'd sit down with whomever is supposedly offering you a position and get an idea for how much he/she intends to pay a new associate. It will almost certainly be less than you think.

Last edited:
Correction 3rd year student, and this school does not hide the fact that its for-profit, after all this is a business, one would be dumb not to think it is. Most of the Docs here preach against commercial optometry so I dont know where you get that from.

Correction 3rd year student, and this school does not hide the fact that its for-profit, after all this is a business, one would be dumb not to think it is.

Your school is a NON-profit institution. Many universities like yours will take the millions of dollars they take in with tuition and roll the moeny back into inflated deans' salaries, inflated presidents' salaries, shiny new buildings designed to wow parents, and fancy toys designed to wow students. They have to spend your money because if they didn't they wouldn't get to keep their NON-profit status. You guys just don't get it - the school's very existence is to make use of the student-loan-cash-machine, not to educate future optometrists. We already have more than we can handle so clearly the purpose of the school is not to better the profession. You guys will be paying for a very expensive, over-valued, refracting optician's certificate.

Most of the Docs here preach against commercial optometry so I dont know where you get that from.

My program preached the same message. Commercial giants like America's Best and Luxottica were not even allowed on our campus when I was in school. They had a hard time even setting up dinners/recruitment events because the school did everything they could to hide that side of the profession from its students. You know what, though? It didn't matter - most students still end up in commercial. It's not that they're trying to "protect" you from commercial optometry, they're trying to hide it from you and from those who would consider the profession. The last thing they want anyone to know is that commercial optometry is the optometry they're signing up for. No one in their right mind would pay 200K or more for the ability to work for $40-45/hr in a doc-in-the-box as an IC. That's where we're at, though.

Furthermore, the clinical strength of any program lies mostly in the quality of its externship sites. Most students will agree that they "learned to be a doctor" at off-site rotations, not at the school's clinic. This has nothing to do with the technology or facility, but more to do with the fact that school clinics are not run like private offices, hospitals, or other real-world settings. They're run like schools. It takes a long time to develop quality over quantity in externship programs. Sorry, but your external sites leave much to be desired.

I think what Jason K said about the clinical strength of any program lies mostly in the quality of its externship sites sounds very true.

I was wondering if anyone could share some insight into the externship sites given by Pacific University and University of Waterloo (Canada).

Is there anyway to find out about the quality? Both claimed to have rotations all over America.

I was wondering if anyone could share some insight into the externship sites given by Pacific University and University of Waterloo (Canada).

It has been years since I was at Pacific but when I was there you got out of your externship sites what you wanted. You can choose easy sites where you don't have to learn much or you can take very challenging sites where you learn a lot. I would suggest ensuring you get more difficult sites that cover a range of skills. A primary care facility that requires you to sharpen your refraction/CL skills, a Binocular vision site that introduces you to that aspect of optometry and then a disease heavy rotation in addition to your in-school rotations.

I urge you to reconsider coming down to the US for school. Unless you have a plan on how you can stay in the US (marry an American or ???) there is very little reason to come here. You will overpay for your education and get no benefit for it.

I came down because I was enamoured with the education at Pacific. I enjoyed my time there but it wasn't worth the money (other than meeting my wife). Don't come down here and spend $150,000. Save your money and open a practice at home.

I'm pretty sure this Jason guy is just a troll. I''ve seen him ****ting on optometry and RSO in other threads as well.

I'm pretty sure this Jason guy is just a troll. I''ve seen him ****ting on optometry and RSO in other threads as well.

Yes, clearly because there is someone posting information that contradicts your fantasy land view of optometry, and of the prospects from attending one of the new, over-priced, largely-hated schools, that means he/she is a troll. Go with that attitude - it will serve you well. Maybe you should hold out for The Appalachian School in VA. That's even newer, so clearly it must be even better. God, you people are in for a spanking. Don't say you weren't warned.

Oh, and also, you just posted on a thread that's over a year old. Since this is your first post, you might want to take some time to actually read what's on here, rather than jump to conclusions about the realities of this sinking profession.

Wow, so much anger. I'm really sorry that your life didn't turn out well. That bubble of hate and cynicism must do wonders for your mental health, or lack thereof.

Hi, I have and interview at the the Rosenberg School of Optometry this coming weekend and I was wondering if you ended up going to ROS and if you could give me some feed back about your experience at the school?