Rosh Review prediction scores accurate to actual ABEM test results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used Rosh Review and willing to post how accurate the Rosh Review prediction score in their cumulative performance was compared to their actual ABEM score? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm happy to post my correlation after I take boards. But I don't think it can be that predictive. I was really disappointed with Rosh Review. The questions are either ridiculously easy, or not ABEM style questions. A lot of the questions have 97 to 100% of users picking the correct answer. I doubt ABEM would use a question that essentially everyone get right. Not to mention there are numerous errors, typos, and very poorly written questions.

I would ask for my money back, but I like the confidence boost of getting all the questions right.

I seriously doubt the real exam will be so easy. PEER VIII has to be a much better correlation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the post -- one of the first critical takes on Rosh I've seen, tbh.

I have little to no attention span for dedicated textbook use these days. Behind PEER VIII and Rosh, are there any other reputable question banks you guys are using / used for the inservice exams / boards?

Anyone know the difference between the resident and attending versions for Rosh? It says one caters to in training and other to board exam, is there that much difference between the two or is this a cash play.
I used 1200 questions for the emergency medicine boards (was going to buy rosh in a couple weeks for year leading up to boards), they have an iPad/phone/droid app that is super convenient and you will answer lots of random questions ($50, never expires, don't think you need net/wifi for it but could be wrong), though I can recall like 5 questions word for word (I otherwise would have gotten wrong) that were in that qbank and also on the in-service.

I had a relatively positive experience with Rosh. I used it my final year of residency and then again for written board prep. I primarily chose to try it out because I had already read 1000 questions 2-3 times for ITE. Nothing beats PEER, period. That being said, I had some very similar Rosh Q's on my written exam. I thought the Rosh q's where a bit tougher. I think the 1200 questions book is also high yield. If you only had time for two question banks, I'd do all PEER questions and flip a coin for Rosh vs 1200 questions. Combined, that is more than adequate prep.

As for score correlation.... I don't think it's meant to closely correlate with your actual board score. I scored 6 points higher than my last 5 exam averages and 1 point lower than the highest exam score. YMMV.

I would ask for my money back, but I like the confidence boost of getting all the questions right.

I seriously doubt the real exam will be so easy. PEER VIII has to be a much better correlation.

Rosh is not in the business of "measuring" your abilities. ABEM is. Rosh teaches. They are a review site, not a standardized exam. The avg Rosh score is 72%. Learn from what you don't know and reinforce what you already know...that is the goal.

My RR predicted score was 85 and my actual score was 80. A drop, but I passed and that is all I really cared about. The questions overall were easier than PEER VIII but I thought the explanations were pretty good and it was good as an overall review for the real test.

I used rosh during residency and was doing great on the practice questions but didn't do as well on the last inservice I took. Main reason I avoided rosh for the actual boards. PEER Viii seems to be the most high yield. The other resources are hit or miss. I think really knowing the material is the best gauge for how you will do.

My RR predicted score was 85 and my actual score was 80. A drop, but I passed and that is all I really cared about. The questions overall were easier than PEER VIII but I thought the explanations were pretty good and it was good as an overall review for the real test.

Are you saying the questions on Rosh were easier than PEER or that the questions on the real thing were easier than PEER?

I feel like PEER seems to have a slightly higher subset of questions with >90% answering corrrctly.

I'm using ROSH review right now. I passed boards 3 years ago. No special reason to use it (no boards for awhile) other than... I like Q-banks.

I think the questions are pretty stout (I'm about 400 Q's in at this point).

Its a teaching tool, not a self-assessment tool. Use it for what it is.

I'm using ROSH review right now. I passed boards 3 years ago. No special reason to use it (no boards for awhile) other than... I like Q-banks.

I think the questions are pretty stout (I'm about 400 Q's in at this point).

Its a teaching tool, not a self-assessment tool. Use it for what it is.

I like it for that too, but hey, you 'member? 'Member when you were taking the qualifying exam and wondering how you'd do? And if predictions like this were accurate? Ahh, I 'member.

I like it for that too, but hey, you 'member? 'Member when you were taking the qualifying exam and wondering how you'd do? And if predictions like this were accurate? Ahh, I 'member.

I'm totally missing the joke here.

Maybe I'm the joke.

I'm totally missing the joke here.

Maybe I'm the joke.

Need to be a south park fan. If u are, it's super funny. Member the 80s, member the 90s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahhh.

I dig South Park, but I'm not one of these *collect all the DVDs* guys.

I didnt use it when I was studying for boards, so I can't say it correlated or anything. I used PEER8, the 1000 questions book, and passed just fine.

IMG_1058.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know anything more about how ABEM scores? Their website basically leaves it at saying that they test to a cutoff of 76 (as of now) and that they calculate the total number of correct answers to determine a score -- it sounds as if a percentage, but the wording never really says that -- just "0 to 100".

And of course, we all know that there's a fraction of experimental items, who knows how many.

Suspect many of us are having that "well, I have no idea how that went" feeling this week.