Ross Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about Ross medical school, where you spend the first 20 months in the Dominican Republic and then have an option to go to a U.S. medical school that they have a contract with to reserve a number of spots. Is what I said true? Any other info would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and got accepted for the class of 2004 but after much research, I've concluded that it would be a VERY VEERRY bad idea to go to a foreign medical school now. Medicare is curbing residency spots for such students. Get a US medical education if you can.

PS: Living conditions on the island, from what I've heard, is simply HORRIBLE (sp?)!

Ross University is situated in "Dominica" not the "Dominican Republic." Those are two different countries, but I hear that you can contract the same mosquito viruses on both countries. hee hee hee. P.S. I withdrew my application from Ross two days before I was scheduled for an interview there. I panicked and applied after seeing my April MCAT score, but nothing (and I mean nothing!) would ever be able to persuade me to got to Ross. I can't believe I actually spent $65 dollars for the application fee. Grrrrr.

Members don't see this ad :)
Think twice before you apply to a foreign medical school. Even you can do your clerkship in the US, you are still considered as foreign grad and your chance of getting into desired residency is very very low.

------------------
NSU 2002
(-@o@-)

mig- YOU applied to the Caribbean, and you think KC is too far away?!? Heehee
smile.gif

------------------
Sara
Class of 2004 at XXXXX

SD: Yeah I did! Heheheh...I applied there a month or so before I applied to the US schools. It was pretty much a backup-backup incase I didn't get into _any_ US schools. But after doing more research, I've decided that if I didn't get in this year, I would probably reapply and not take my chances with Ross.

The Ross medical program works the same way many Carribbean programs work: basic sciences on some little island country and the clinical sciences at their "clinical affiliates" back on US soil. There is no such thing as "reserving spots" for foreign students in US medical schools. What they mean is that their students can do third and fourth year clerkships/rotations in the US.

So while you won't be an actual medical student of a US medical school, you will be rotating through many US medical schools during your rotations as a Ross medical student.

I don't think Carribbean medical schools are worth the trouble. Much legislation with regard to residency slots is being directed against foreign medical graduates, and increasingly, it's becoming more and more difficult for studnets from these schools to get a quality residency program. Not that people haven't succeeded before from these schools, but it's definitely more difficult nowadays.

I've known one person to head out to Ross. Living conditions on Dominica (the country in which Ross is situated -- not the Dominican Republic) are horrible. Interruption in regular water and electricity service is frequent (especially during those tropical storms), crime is a problem, and life on the island is a far cry from life in the US.

If you absolutely want to go to a foreign medical school, consider St. George's in Grenada. It has a somewhat better reputation than Ross and, at least in their promotional materials, seems a few degrees less shady than their Dominica counterpart.

Good luck.

Tim of New York City.

Anybody catch 60 minutes on Sunday? They never mentioned anything about residency slots for foreign grads decreasing. From what I got out of the documentary, it seems like it will become easier to come back over the next few years because US med schools cutting down the size of their classes.
Having said that, I went to a medical school in the Dominican Republic for a semester and would not recommend it to anybody, unless you are totally out of options. (Ross isn't much better).

Legislation is aimed at reducing the number of residency slots available to ALL medical gradutes, whether foreign or US-trained, in the years ahead. This doesn't necessarily hurt the FMGs, but they're the ones that are the target of this legislation.

As the 60 Minutes report showed, of 24,000 slots 17,000 are filled by the graduates of US medical schools (MD & DO). The remaining 7,000 are filled by FMGs, not necessarily thsoe of American citizenship, but just foreign-trained. As I mentioned on another thread there are currently 1.5 times as many residency slots as there are graduates of US medical schools. Legislation will eventually knock that factor down to 1.1 (which is a heck of a lot less -- less than 19,000 slots a year!). How will this legislation work? Reducing monetary incentives hospitals receive for picking up a resident. The 60 Minutes report showed that for every resident in training, a hospital gets about $70,000. That's a lot of money!

My suggestion is you do anything you possibly can to get into a US medical school. Don't do DO if you don't believe in osteopathic medicine or philosophy.

Tim of New York City.

Generally, I think that going abroad, especially to the caribbean, is a bad idea. That said, with enough dedication most anyone can overcome any adversity. Both the AMA and AOA see off-shore schools as serious threats. Essentially, these schools are circumventing all the medical education reforms that have been employed in the "post-Flexner" report era. Both the AMA and AOA are working to reform GME in order to redistribute residency programs to inner-city and rural areas where IMG's have traditionally sought training opportunities. In short, I think that IMG's will experience a "squeeze." If not sooner, then later...

I've also heard that there is quite a bit of hostility towards IMG's in certain parts of the country, (maybe Tim of New York City could address this better) although I don't know if this is true for American IMG's.

I know one guy from undergrad who made a go at the Caribbean and was successful. However, he was already tri-lingual (he went to the Dominca), had dual-USA/Canadian citizenship, and completed most of his clinical work in the UK via some obscure training agreeement between UK hospitals and Canadian hospitals.

Caveat Emptor---Buyer Beware!

I am extreemely offended by the comments made concerning the island of Dominica. I think that it is ok to have reservations about going to school there but someone who has never been to my country should not assume that the conditions are horrible there. I am a citizen of Dominica and it is not some island whose citizens are hostile to foreigners and the crime rate is not a fraction of the US'. My country is not as rich as the US but we have learned not to poke fun or ridicule those who are less fortunate. So by all means, do not go to Ross, but don't knock my paradise until you have seen it for yourself. To see more of our "horrible" country, visit cakafete.com

and delphis.dm

Hi. Is anyone from USA going to attend Ross in May 07 class. Please contact me if you are going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk about reviving an ancient thread. You should really have started a new one. And on the carribean board, not pre-allo.

my god. 1999. I was in high school back then. oh those were the days..

my god. 1999. I was in high school back then. oh those were the days..

Oh man, those were the days. None of this worrying about med schools. Your biggest concern was whether Jenny from third period had a crush on you...

::single tear down left cheek to honor memories::

I am extreemely offended by the comments made concerning the island of Dominica. I think that it is ok to have reservations about going to school there but someone who has never been to my country should not assume that the conditions are horrible there. I am a citizen of Dominica and it is not some island whose citizens are hostile to foreigners and the crime rate is not a fraction of the US'. My country is not as rich as the US but we have learned not to poke fun or ridicule those who are less fortunate. So by all means, do not go to Ross, but don't knock my paradise until you have seen it for yourself. To see more of our "horrible" country, visit cakafete.com

and delphis.dm

I certainly agree. Whether or not anyone decides to attend medical school in my homeland, I find it very ignorant to comment about conditions there never having visited. :mad:

Ross University is situated in "Dominica" not the "Dominican Republic." Those are two different countries, but I hear that you can contract the same mosquito viruses on both countries. hee hee hee. P.S. I withdrew my application from Ross two days before I was scheduled for an interview there. I panicked and applied after seeing my April MCAT score, but nothing (and I mean nothing!) would ever be able to persuade me to got to Ross. I can't believe I actually spent $65 dollars for the application fee. Grrrrr.
Be

Be warned, they have dangerous and nasty faculty staff and this place should probably be avoided, or at least insist that you are never alone with mr Kal Winston of ross medical school in dominica

You sound like you were sexually molested or something....