Ross University, University of Sydney, and Medical Schools in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gwiddlebones

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question regarding these three schools.
First off, with Ross University, how high are the employment rates for doctors who received their licenses from this university? I know that a license from Ross University is restricted to New Jersey, New York, California, and Florida.

Second, if I were to take the USMLE and transfer from a medical college at the University of Sydney, would my license be approved by all hospitals in the States? Or is that restricted as well? Also, how high would the employment rate be?

Third, is it as difficult for international students to apply to medical schools in Canada as it is in the U.S.? I heard there was a school in Florida that might accept a high number of international students.

Members don't see this ad.

try Boston Uni; they accept a fair number of int'l students into their med and dent courses.

try Boston Uni; they accept a fair number of int'l students into their med and dent courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your license is not from Ross, it is from the state that you wish to practice in. If you do your residency in the US there is no limitation to jobs in the states(as an IMG/or USIMG) unless of course you have a visa issue, but I am not too familiar with that. Secondly, even though you go to Ross, you are not limited to the above mentioned states, you can do residency in any of the states, just that some require more paperwork/and have slight variations in requirements then others

gwiddlebones said:
Third, is it as difficult for international students to apply to medical schools in Canada as it is in the U.S.? I heard there was a school in Florida that might accept a high number of international students.
Only 2-3 Canadian schools accept applications from internationals (includes U.S. citizens) routinely. It is generally easier to obtain an interview as a U.S. citizen or international than it is for a Canadian as these schools 'reserve' places for internationals and your tuition is greater. The same situation applies to U.S. citizens gaining entry in many British schools. The locals have a tougher time.

I know of one U.S. citizen who was accepted by McGill this year with a 6, 11, 11 on the MCAT after multiple attempts and I received a University of Toronto interview last year with an MCAT below the U of T average. Canadian citizens would not have been succesful in either case as strict GPA and MCAT cutoffs apply for them--hence the reason that many great Canadian students end up in U.S. medical schools every year. McGill and U of T are good schools and are arguably the most selective for Canadian citizens. Winning an interview an any medical school, however, is quite an achievement. I don't know of anyone who gained admission to medical school by accident.

What you heard about Ross is wrong, there are no restrictions.

gwiddlebones said:
I had a question regarding these three schools.
First off, with Ross University, how high are the employment rates for doctors who received their licenses from this university? I know that a license from Ross University is restricted to New Jersey, New York, California, and Florida.

Second, if I were to take the USMLE and transfer from a medical college at the University of Sydney, would my license be approved by all hospitals in the States? Or is that restricted as well? Also, how high would the employment rate be?

So basically even if I go to medical school at Ross or St. George's, I can get a license to practice anywhere in the U.S.? Would my chances of getting employed as a doctor be strongly affected though?

Meat Cookie said:
What you heard about Ross is wrong, there are no restrictions.

gwiddlebones said:
So basically even if I go to medical school at Ross or St. George's, I can get a license to practice anywhere in the U.S.? Would my chances of getting employed as a doctor be strongly affected though?
Ross thing you heard is wrong!

Ross alumni are practicing in all the states. You can check the website for more info:

http://www.rossu.edu/med/