Ross University Veterinary Medicine Applicants 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

privera3

Class of 2018!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and wanted to create a new thread for Ross Veterinary Medicine applicants of 2013. I'm from Puerto Rico and applied for September 2013. Feel free to pitch in if you are planning to apply. I also applied to LSU and SGU!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm new here and wanted to create a new thread for Ross Veterinary Medicine applicants of 2013. I'm from Puerto Rico and applied for September 2013. Feel free to pitch in if you are planning to apply. I also applied to LSU and SGU!

not at all about Ross, but we have some wonderful Puerto Rican students here at SGU :)

Awesome! That was originally my first choice. That island seems hard to get to from here! Anyways, thats good to know! Who knows I might end up there!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into Ross for May 2013.. but waiting to hear from SGU! :)

Congrats! :) When do you move in for orientation and the white coat ceremony? I could be ready to go for that May semester, but IDK when in May I finish my semester here..

Accepted at Ross for May 2013! Just waiting to hear back from the US Schools I applied to!

Great, I still have not heard from them for September. Probably because the academic letter is on its way, and I still have a prerequisite course pending for next semester.

Started my application for Ross for September 2013! Just waiting to hear back from the schools in the states to decide whether or not I'm going to submit it. Who knows where I'm going to end up at this point :rolleyes: Good luck to everyone!

I will be an applicant whenever I actually finish my application. Probably going to wait until my finals are over.

Kind of wish they had an actual deadline so I would have some motivation to get my butt in gear and finish it. :laugh:

I recently went to a Ross info seminar, and I absolutely LOVED it! I know a few Ross grads who had some great things to say about the program. But hearing more details about it made me actually want to go there over some of the US schools I applied to. Starting my application now!!

I realize on the application that you need to check off both "General Chemistry I with Lab" and "General Chemistry II with Lab," but the pre-reqs page says you need a whole year of General Chemistry + lab (8 semester hours). I have 8 semester hours, which is from one full year of Gen Chem Lecture, but only 1 semester of gen chem lab...is it okay to only take 1 lab for that sequence??? i called admissions and am waiting for a response

I applied to Ross for the September 2013 class. Also applied to MU. Waiting to hear back from both :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize on the application that you need to check off both "General Chemistry I with Lab" and "General Chemistry II with Lab," but the pre-reqs page says you need a whole year of General Chemistry + lab (8 semester hours). I have 8 semester hours, which is from one full year of Gen Chem Lecture, but only 1 semester of gen chem lab...is it okay to only take 1 lab for that sequence??? i called admissions and am waiting for a response

I had a similar issue.. But we had a separate series of chem lab class (experimental chemistry 1,2,3 etc) which I just used for it..

hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors

Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club

hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors

Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club

If you want someone to comment on your stats, you'd be much better off posting in the stats thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820748

Not sure why you're choosing to ask this here, since it looks like you didn't apply to Ross. :rolleyes:

I've been accepted to Ross for September 2013. I am so excited! :)

I'm planning on applying to Ross If I don't get in stateside

Does anyone know if all the seats for May have been filled yet? Has anyone applied for May and been bumped to September? Thanks!

Hi ya'll Congrats on all your acceptances! I'm a 6th semester Ross student so if you guys have n e questions just lemme know =)

Since there is no timetable, how long after you submit your application will you find out if you got in or were bumped to the next semester?

I do not suggest Ross to anyone. They work too heavily on a profit system and they rely on a certain number of students failing every term. Any school that does that can not be trusted. I suggest any other school in America or even in the caribbean. They are far better.

I do not suggest Ross to anyone. They work too heavily on a profit system and they rely on a certain number of students failing every term. Any school that does that can not be trusted. I suggest any other school in America or even in the caribbean. They are far better.

Why do you say this? Where did you get that information from?

Why do you say this? Where did you get that information from?

By the sound of his previous posts, he dropped out of Ross and now blames the school for his failure to anyone who will listen. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any advice for writing the personal statement for Ross? 300 words is far too short! I feel like I'm struggling to get my point across without being too wordy. Anyone willing to share what you wrote about in yours?

By the sound of his previous posts, he dropped out of Ross and now blames the school for his failure to anyone who will listen. :rolleyes:

I know a handful of people who graduated from, are now in US clinical rotation yrs, or transferred from Ross, and I've heard similar things so I wouldn't turn a blind eye to some of these comments. Not all of them will actively discourage pre-vets from going there, but I think most would say don't go there if you can avoid it.

The quality of their education is fine if not great. Their graduates are super capable generally. BUT, it sounds like it is a survival of the fittest teaching model there with high attrition. Many people flunk out or have to repeat semesters, and some of their clinical rotation sites require that you not having ever repeated a semester. For some rotations,

you have to pay an extra tuition on top of the already high Ross tuition (which sounds like bull to me).

It sounds like Ross will accept many students knowing they probably aren't likely to graduate, but are okay with that so long as they are paying tuition. I think that's where the "money grubbing for-profit" comments come from. But conversely, you can also say that Ross allows students a chance to become a vet when no one else would (the people I know said this was the case for them, though I'm sure there are students who go their as their first choice). They allow the student to choose if they want to spend that money. So... I'm not sure I'd call it unethical.

That being said, everyone i know says they feel like they were lied to by admissions to some degree about what they are going to experience (island lifestyle, safety, support, etc...), so I would make sure you talk to multiple current or recent students about their experiences. Make sure you get perspectives from those who like it there as well as hate it there (or have transferred) and make sure you're comfortable with what they have to say.

It sounds like Ross will accept many students knowing they probably aren't likely to graduate, but are okay with that so long as they are paying tuition. I think that's where the "money grubbing for-profit" comments come from. But conversely, you can also say that Ross allows students a chance to become a vet when no one else would (the people I know said this was the case for them, though I'm sure there are students who go their as their first choice). They allow the student to choose if they want to spend that money. So... I'm not sure I'd call it unethical.

I really think this is the key point here. Ross accepts a lot of low GPA students. They give people a chance. A lot of those students aren't prepared for vet school and will ultimately fail out. But at least they are given a chance. Does it ultimately come down to getting their tuition money? Absolutely. Is that wrong? Absolutely not. It's the student's responsibility to understand and prepare themselves for the rigors of vet school. It's the student's responsibility to maintain their grades and learn the material. A lot of people with low undergrad GPA's can't handle that, but that's not the university's fault. On the other hand, there are plenty of students with low undergrad GPA's who take the chance that Ross offers them, do very well in vet school, and go on to become successful veterinarians. It's a lot more about holding yourself accountable and being truly, brutally honest with yourself about whether you're capable of facing the challenges of vet school.

That being said, everyone i know says they feel like they were lied to by admissions to some degree about what they are going to experience (island lifestyle, safety, support, etc...), so I would make sure you talk to multiple current or recent students about their experiences. Make sure you get perspectives from those who like it there as well as hate it there (or have transferred) and make sure you're comfortable with what they have to say.

This is a big one too. You have to recognize that you are going to school in a third world country, where you are a foreigner and a minority. It's an entirely different culture. It's not going to be the same as going to a US school, nor is it going to be some tropical island paradise where you get to lounge on the beach all day. This again goes back to being prepared. You can't blame the school if you didn't do your homework and found yourself in a strange country that you aren't ever going to be happy or comfortable in. Yes, obviously you expect admissions to be straight with you, but you have to remember that they are actively trying to recruit students. They're going to sugarcoat some things. It's up to you as the student to do your own research and make an informed decision about whether this particular school - and vet school in general - is going to be right for you.

I really think this is the key point here. Ross accepts a lot of low GPA students. They give people a chance. A lot of those students aren't prepared for vet school and will ultimately fail out. But at least they are given a chance. Does it ultimately come down to getting their tuition money? Absolutely. Is that wrong? Absolutely not. It's the student's responsibility to understand and prepare themselves for the rigors of vet school. It's the student's responsibility to maintain their grades and learn the material. A lot of people with low undergrad GPA's can't handle that, but that's not the university's fault. On the other hand, there are plenty of students with low undergrad GPA's who take the chance that Ross offers them, do very well in vet school, and go on to become successful veterinarians. It's a lot more about holding yourself accountable and being truly, brutally honest with yourself about whether you're capable of facing the challenges of vet school.

This is a big one too. You have to recognize that you are going to school in a third world country, where you are a foreigner and a minority. It's an entirely different culture. It's not going to be the same as going to a US school, nor is it going to be some tropical island paradise where you get to lounge on the beach all day. This again goes back to being prepared. You can't blame the school if you didn't do your homework and found yourself in a strange country that you aren't ever going to be happy or comfortable in. Yes, obviously you expect admissions to be straight with you, but you have to remember that they are actively trying to recruit students. They're going to sugarcoat some things. It's up to you as the student to do your own research and make an informed decision about whether this particular school - and vet school in general - is going to be right for you.

I agree 100% with BlackDog. I am a 4th semester Ross Student who has never repeated and I know plenty of people who have never repeated as well. It seems to me that most of the people who have to repeat or fail out are the ones who don't go to a tutor, and especially don't go to professors, if they know they are doing poorly. Or there are people who get so sidetracked with being in 5 zillion clubs and other activities around the island that they forget that their #1 priority should be school.

I also agree that the admissions folks do sugarcoat some things, but once you get in, you form a Ross family with your fellow students, orientation group, etc, that help you through the acclimation process. I think that is pretty crucial to doing well here emotionally, because you are far away from family/friends, and you will have those "Only in St Kitts" days, but that's what your Ross friends are for....as a substitution family. And I do think it is pretty great to be able to say that I go to school with kids from literally all over the U.S. So, it is what you make of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Soo given that I got rejected 5/5 in the US, I applied for September of 2013. Does anyone have an idea of when they let you know about a decision? Though I know my Vet LOR is still pending since she takes a while to get things done.

I'm still finishing up my Ross application so I can't say for certain, but I think Ross does have a pretty quick turn around time (at least compared to a lot of other schools) when it comes to offering interviews and sending out decisions.

They won't start reviewing your application until it's complete though, so that last LOR is probably holding you up.

I applied for Ross's sept 2013 class and have been accepted. After all my transcripts LOR's and everything, I received an e-mail for an interview about 3 weeks and then after my interview it took a month to get the call that I was accepted!!

I'm still finishing up my Ross application so I can't say for certain, but I think Ross does have a pretty quick turn around time (at least compared to a lot of other schools) when it comes to offering interviews and sending out decisions.

They won't start reviewing your application until it's complete though, so that last LOR is probably holding you up.

Thanks for the reply! I emailed Ross admission to ask about whether they have received my materials and I emailed my LOR. So we shall see what the responses are! I am just anxious for some sort of news...good news preferably!

Accepted at Ross for May 2013! Just waiting to hear back from the US Schools I applied to!
Heyyy,

So I applied for May 2013 as well--- I had the interview 2 weeks ago-- question: does it really take 4-6 weeks to get back to you?? or in reality is it shorter than that??

I got accepted to St Matt's and have an interview at Tuskegee too, and it's kind of hard to keep track of the deadlines..

I am giving up my seat at Ross.. I REALLY hope one of you gets it!!! :luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf:

Hi all, I would like some feedback from current students/applicants on what you think my chances would be for an interview/acceptance to Ross in particular (which is why I'm posting this in this thread and not the "What are my chances?"). As of right now, I'm a current applicant; I submitted my application for September 2013 a few weeks ago (because I had 2 outstanding courses; now I only have one). I'm only waiting on my LOR to be submitted. I applied to some US schools but haven't had much luck in that area. My stats are as follows:

Graduating May 2013 with a BA in Biology
Overall GPA: 3.1
Last 45 hours: 3.2
Science GPA: 2.9 (which I hope will go up after the huge chunk of science courses I'm taking this semester).
I personally think my GPA is my #1 setback.
GRE: 161 Quant. (83%), 158 Verbal (77%), 3.5 AW

Vet experience: 1,300 hours and counting at a SA clinic
Animal experience: 180 hours at a petting zoo with primarily farm animals, 90 hours at a dairy farm, 300 hours at a SA shelter
Research: 150 hours and counting in an environmental biology lab, 100 hours on a psychological epilepsy study

Extra curricular: member of pre-vet club, bhakti club, and choir at my University; volunteer for a pediatric epilepsy charity; participate in ballet and professional acting classes; traveling (i guess that's more of a hobby...) (high school: founder of a club that donates/fundraises for local animal shelters; volunteered to sing/play piano at nursing homes)

I wrote both a personal statement and an explanation statement. The PS gives background on how I became interested in animals, and how that has helped me through some setbacks in life (being diagnosed with epilepsy and numerous mental health issues). The explanation statement further explains how my epilepsy and medication hindered my cognition in college (as I was diagnosed right before attending college), but my grades increase as I progress throughout semesters; these higher grades correlate with gradual lower dosages of medicine (as fortunately, my seizures are under control).

Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks :)

I'm no expert on stats or admissions, but I agree that you can probably get an interview at Ross. Your GPA is on the lower end, which I'm sure you're aware of, but Ross is known for taking chances on lower GPA students, and you have a solid medical reason for why you struggled.

However, if you do get an interview, make sure you are absolutely 100% prepared to explain how you're dealing with your condition, and how you intend to handle it in vet school.

I think when you get to the interview stage, you just need to knock it out of the park! I had a friend who had good stats (3.5 GPA, good GRE, tons of experience), but got rejected from Ross because he didn't interview well according to his file review. Just make sure to relax and let them see YOU, Not what you think they want you to be. That being said, I think my Ross interview was the most enjoyable of all my interviews! They were all SO kind and it really was just a conversation!

First post on the board! Have been a lurker for the longest time. Applied to three US schools and got denied at all of them. Then I applied for the September 2013 RUSVM class and got offered an interview 2 days later! It was originally April 24th but I just received an email asking to reschedule to March 14th :)

Got my acceptance email today!!!!! Now I need to decide between September or May!!!!! Good luck everyone!!!!

Well, it looks like I'll be submitting an application to Ross this year afterall...and I'm actually excited about that :) Hope Ross brings me better luck :luck: Anyone know if there are still seats left for September?

Interviewing this Monday! First vet school interview after 5 flat out rejections :love:

Must Love Dogs- There's gotta be because I'm interviewing for a spot in their September class and I feel like they would have told me already if all of the September spots were filled.

Interviewing this Monday! First vet school interview after 5 flat out rejections :love:
Good luck wannabevet!! This was my favorite of all my interviews, they really cared about YOU as a person! Go rock that interview!!

I have interviewed at two US schools so far and have been put on the alternate list for one so far. I should be hearing back from the other one soon. I have and interview for Ross this monday as well as one for St. George later this month. Anyone know how soon Ross trypically lets you know whether you have been accepted after the interview? Good luck everyone!!