Ross University Veterinary School January 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asv353

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I got accepted into Ross's Vet program for this upcoming january! :) I just want to hear from people that are there right now. How is your schedule like? Do you actually have time to breathe! I'm very excited but also very nervous. Do you have to leave after every semester?

Also I'm waiting to hear back from St. George's University Vet school and I was wondering since they have summers off, do you have to constantly keep moving in and out of apartments? how does that work?

Any info would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in that semester too! If you go well be classmates

Hey everyone! I got accepted into Ross's Vet program for this upcoming january! :) I just want to hear from people that are there right now. How is your schedule like? Do you actually have time to breathe! I'm very excited but also very nervous. Do you have to leave after every semester?

Also I'm waiting to hear back from St. George's University Vet school and I was wondering since they have summers off, do you have to constantly keep moving in and out of apartments? how does that work?

Any info would be great!.

If your apartment question is specific to SGU, I just started my first term here. For summers, you can hold your apartment and you will pay half rent at most places since you're storing stuff but aren't actually living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I got accepted to Ross for January too! I'm still waiting to hear back from SGU as well. Any ideas on how long they take to get back to you after your interview? I just had mine this week, but I have to let Ross know my decision by the end of the month so I'm nervous about what to do. I would really like to get into SGU, but I don't want to lose my seat at Ross

Hey I got accepted to Ross for January too! I'm still waiting to hear back from SGU as well. Any ideas on how long they take to get back to you after your interview? I just had mine this week, but I have to let Ross know my decision by the end of the month so I'm nervous about what to do. I would really like to get into SGU, but I don't want to lose my seat at Ross

It took them about three weeks to get back to me after the interview but I was also missing a document that i had sent over a month ago and I kept bothering them. If you tell them you got accepted to Ross they will do their best to rush things! I ended up paying the $1000 to Ross because they didn't get back to me in time and I also didn't but to lose my seat! It's unfortunate because I think I do want to go to SGU. it's not final yet but that's what I'm leaning more towards. I really hope you get in! Hopefully I see you at whatever school you decide to go to! Maybe we will end up being classmates!

I'm in that semester too! If you go well be classmates

That's awesome! I think I want to go to SGU though. I hate making decisions haha But good luck to you! and Maybe I'll see you at Ross. who knows :)

If your apartment question is specific to SGU, I just started my first term here. For summers, you can hold your apartment and you will pay half rent at most places since you're storing stuff but aren't actually living there.

Okay awesome! how are you liking your first couple of weeks? I'm freaking out I don't know if SGU is what I want but I think I like it a lot more than Ross. I heard about the campus having computer tests and you have to pay $100 to have your notes printed off. Not sure if you've taken a test yet but how does that really work? I know people at Ross but I haven't been able to talk to someone from SGU to tell me their opinion!

Okay awesome! how are you liking your first couple of weeks? I'm freaking out I don't know if SGU is what I want but I think I like it a lot more than Ross. I heard about the campus having computer tests and you have to pay $100 to have your notes printed off. Not sure if you've taken a test yet but how does that really work? I know people at Ross but I haven't been able to talk to someone from SGU to tell me their opinion!.

We just had our first official quiz this past Friday! Haha so yes, you take all of your lecture exams on your computer. We downloaded a special program called ExamSoft that we take them on. It's kind of obnoxious since I'm used to paper tests so it's a little bit uncomfortable just from breaking habit and getting into a different routine with my testing strategies, but it wasn't bad. It's also nice that you get your grade as soon as you're finished with it. As far as notes, they give you $125 (I think) in your account to print, and it's $0.25/page so you can print a lot with that. I'm not much of a printing notes person so it doesn't bother me, but a lot of professors also have given us our notes already printed for us. And so far I love it here :)

We just had our first official quiz this past Friday! Haha so yes, you take all of your lecture exams on your computer. We downloaded a special program called ExamSoft that we take them on. It's kind of obnoxious since I'm used to paper tests so it's a little bit uncomfortable just from breaking habit and getting into a different routine with my testing strategies, but it wasn't bad. It's also nice that you get your grade as soon as you're finished with it. As far as notes, they give you $125 (I think) in your account to print, and it's $0.25/page so you can print a lot with that. I'm not much of a printing notes person so it doesn't bother me, but a lot of professors also have given us our notes already printed for us. And so far I love it here :)

That doesn't sound too bad! how is your schedule like? and the dorms? Also I had a question about customs. is it true you have to pay for the electronics you bring to the island? and what are you doing about a cell phone? I kinda was planning on not getting one and just using FaceTime when i have wifi but I don't know if that smart because when I leave campus I won't have anyway to communicate.

Also I wanted to point out that I'm from virginia too!! I saw that you are a VCU graduate. I'm a CNU graduate. I don't expect you to know the school cause its small haha

That doesn't sound too bad! how is your schedule like? and the dorms? Also I had a question about customs. is it true you have to pay for the electronics you bring to the island? and what are you doing about a cell phone? I kinda was planning on not getting one and just using FaceTime when i have wifi but I don't know if that smart because when I leave campus I won't have anyway to communicate.

Also I wanted to point out that I'm from virginia too!! I saw that you are a VCU graduate. I'm a CNU graduate. I don't expect you to know the school cause its small haha.

First term, we have Anatomy Lab at either 8:30 or 10:30 for about two hours monday-wednesday, Radiology lab thursday, and Histology lab friday. Then we have lectures from 1:30-5:20 every day that are usually Histology, Physiology, Anatomy, then either Nutrition, Professionalism, or something else. I don't live in the dorms so I can't say too much about those but they are nice. The school recently started asking for serial numbers of our electronics and they pay the customs fees for us :) I use my iPhone down here and just switched out the sim card so I can use Digicel. You can definitely use WiFi down here when you have it, but it's good to have a local number as well in case you don't have WiFi. Digicel also has data plans that you can get so you can get on the internet and stuff without having WiFi. And that's awesome you're from VA! I know about CNU, I'm from Williamsburg and used to do ballet and we'd do Nutcracker at the Ferguson Center every year :)

First term, we have Anatomy Lab at either 8:30 or 10:30 for about two hours monday-wednesday, Radiology lab thursday, and Histology lab friday. Then we have lectures from 1:30-5:20 every day that are usually Histology, Physiology, Anatomy, then either Nutrition, Professionalism, or something else. I don't live in the dorms so I can't say too much about those but they are nice. The school recently started asking for serial numbers of our electronics and they pay the customs fees for us :) I use my iPhone down here and just switched out the sim card so I can use Digicel. You can definitely use WiFi down here when you have it, but it's good to have a local number as well in case you don't have WiFi. Digicel also has data plans that you can get so you can get on the internet and stuff without having WiFi. And that's awesome you're from VA! I know about CNU, I'm from Williamsburg and used to do ballet and we'd do Nutcracker at the Ferguson Center every year :)

Sounds busy haha but it actually sounds kind of exciting. I like learning. I'm just freaking out about everything haha If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for rent? and does it include utilities like electricity and water and those things. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. I can send you a message with my email if thats okay? but I'm soo glad they pay customs fees because I was kinda freaking out about that. another expense haha another thing I wanted to ask you about was transportation. did you end up getting a car or do you use the bus? I read they go into the school so that's convenient. but omg that's crazy! what a small world. what are the chances haha

Sounds busy haha but it actually sounds kind of exciting. I like learning. I'm just freaking out about everything haha If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for rent? and does it include utilities like electricity and water and those things. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. I can send you a message with my email if thats okay? but I'm soo glad they pay customs fees because I was kinda freaking out about that. another expense haha another thing I wanted to ask you about was transportation. did you end up getting a car or do you use the bus? I read they go into the school so that's convenient. but omg that's crazy! what a small world. what are the chances haha.

I got your message and sent you an email for any other questions you have! My rent where we are now is $400/month, I live in a 3-bedroom with two other classmates of mine. It includes water, but not electricity. Most places on the island are similar as far as not including electricity, and electricity is very expensive, but we haven't yet gotten our first electric bill so I'm not sure how much it's going to be (but I'm scared to find out). I use the SGU buses to get everywhere, but I'm strongly considering getting a car. Scooters are also a big thing here with students, I know a lot of my classmates are thinking about getting those. The buses are awesome for getting to and from campus and stuff, but when you have to go grocery shopping and you buy a lot of things, the buses are a real pain in the butt to try to take back home, at least to my neighborhood because there isn't a store on our bus route so you have to get on more than one bus :p

I'm currently in first semester at Ross and I love it! Most days (mon-wed) I have class 8-3ish but we always have an hour break for lunch. On Friday I only have one class from 1-2 and on thurs I go 10-4. Your whole class will be in lecture together and then split up for labs. Halfway through the semester ill swap to the 4pm anatomy lab instead of 8 am.

I'm currently living on campus (all first semesters do) and I feel like I have a decent amount of time to myself. I spend a loooot of time studying, way more than undergrad, but I'm studying things I enjoy which makes it easier. I absolutely love it here. When you're not studying, everything is very laid back here which is a nice contradiction to the stress of school. The island is beautiful, the professors are phenomenal and everyone is so nice. Ross is the best! You're welcome to PM me with more questions!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It took them about three weeks to get back to me after the interview but I was also missing a document that i had sent over a month ago and I kept bothering them. If you tell them you got accepted to Ross they will do their best to rush things! I ended up paying the $1000 to Ross because they didn't get back to me in time and I also didn't but to lose my seat! It's unfortunate because I think I do want to go to SGU. it's not final yet but that's what I'm leaning more towards. I really hope you get in! Hopefully I see you at whatever school you decide to go to! Maybe we will end up being classmates!

Ahhh that's so rough! I'm trying to avoid that situation myself. I have until Tuesday to respond to Ross and I emailed Krista about everything so she is on the case. Fingers crossed I hear from them soon because I would really like to go to SGU. Not that Ross is a bad choice either, I just think I would be happier at SGU in the long run. But hopefully we will be classmates somewhere! Good luck to you :)

I'm currently in first semester at Ross and I love it! Most days (mon-wed) I have class 8-3ish but we always have an hour break for lunch. On Friday I only have one class from 1-2 and on thurs I go 10-4. Your whole class will be in lecture together and then split up for labs. Halfway through the semester ill swap to the 4pm anatomy lab instead of 8 am.

I'm currently living on campus (all first semesters do) and I feel like I have a decent amount of time to myself. I spend a loooot of time studying, way more than undergrad, but I'm studying things I enjoy which makes it easier. I absolutely love it here. When you're not studying, everything is very laid back here which is a nice contradiction to the stress of school. The island is beautiful, the professors are phenomenal and everyone is so nice. Ross is the best! You're welcome to PM me with more questions!

That sounds awesome! I think I decided to go to SGU. Ross told me I had to take two upper level bio classes during this semester off and that would have been $1700 out of pocket and last week was the last day to sign up so thats one of the reasons I chose SGU. Also I know myself and I know I could not deal with not having summers. I believe I'll be happier at SGU. Thank you so much for your info! I hope Ross treats you well!

Ahhh that's so rough! I'm trying to avoid that situation myself. I have until Tuesday to respond to Ross and I emailed Krista about everything so she is on the case. Fingers crossed I hear from them soon because I would really like to go to SGU. Not that Ross is a bad choice either, I just think I would be happier at SGU in the long run. But hopefully we will be classmates somewhere! Good luck to you :)

Yeah thats rough. I hope they respond in time!! I just paid my deposit for SGU on friday!! I'm so excited. I'm hoping ross feels bad for me and at least gives me a partial refund... ugh haha I doubt it. Yeah hopefully I'll see you around and good luck with SGU! Keep me updated if you get in and decide to go there! it would be great to know someone in my class!

Yeah thats rough. I hope they respond in time!! I just paid my deposit for SGU on friday!! I'm so excited. I'm hoping ross feels bad for me and at least gives me a partial refund... ugh haha I doubt it. Yeah hopefully I'll see you around and good luck with SGU! Keep me updated if you get in and decide to go there! it would be great to know someone in my class!

I actually just got a call this morning that I was accepted to SGU!!! I am SO excited, I can't wait to go there. That's so great that you decided on SGU as well! We'll be classmates! haha

I actually just got a call this morning that I was accepted to SGU!!! I am SO excited, I can't wait to go there. That's so great that you decided on SGU as well! We'll be classmates! haha

If you have any questions about SGU let me know :) Congrats!

Thats great!! Well I'll see ya there!! :D haha and ally is great. she's answered a lot of my questions so definitely go to her for info!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I have a skype interview for Ross coming up and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the interview style. Thanks in advance! And hoping I can join you guys in January!

Hey guys! I have a skype interview for Ross coming up and I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the interview style. Thanks in advance! And hoping I can join you guys in January!

Hey I skype interviewed too! It was super laid back, I was asked questions about my experience traveling and whether or not I would be able to handle life on the island/away from my family. I've been told that if you have a big "mistake" that shows up on your transcripts then to be prepared to explain that. I had a C in organic and I don't remember even being asked about that though...it was mostly typical stuff like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "what do you do to unwind from the stress of class". The main emphasis was definitely finding out how I would adapt to island life, so have some traveling anecdotes prepared...or any "overcoming obstacles" examples.

During the interview I was told that I would hear back by 3:30 that afternoon with a decision, but I'm pretty much the only one here who was in that situation....apparently for most people it took a few weeks if not more. Good luck and hope to see you in January!

pretty much ljones2211 explained it well! it was laid back as she said. i remember being asked about all my animal experience and my main duties but yeah it was pretty much how you would adapt to island life and such. Yeah I don't have great GRE scores and they didn't even mention that so i was really surprised haha but i was told i was in after 10 days but that was back in july. probably since its getting closer to january they will let you know sooner and i just gave up my seat so i hope any one of you get it! good luck!!

Did any of you end up going to Ross in January?

If so, how's it going? Any tips?

(I'm going into the May class! )

Reactions: 1 user
Hello I'm new in the forum! Congrats to all of u :) I'm currently working with my 300 word application essay for RUSVM but i'm having difficulties narrowing down the essay to only 300 words. Does anyone currently accepted to RUSVM have some kind of outline of their essay that I could use as a guide. Thanks!