rotation research vs summer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonwake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did clinical research for a year (part-time) on a clinical trial where we tried different dosings of enoxaparin in trauma patients to see if PE's occurred less. It was an amazing experience and really helped me see how amazing medicine could be. But here I am now with 3 kids and I just imagine life will be super busy for me that I want to spend time with my fam during the summer break. Would doing research as a rotation be as effective because I still want to play around with the idea of doing gen surg. in a place I want to live or specializing where having research might be the "icing on the cake" for residency applications. Anyone know if there would be a huge difference between the two or would they basically be the same?

Thanks for any feedback~

Members don't see this ad.

I'm shooting for summer research and staying involved as much as I can during second year since the doctor I'll be working with is pretty cool about it. As for rotations, they told us to try being proactive and getting involved with case reports.

I think you're asking about using an elective rotation during third year for research. Correct me if I'm wrong. I did this and combined all of my elective time (8 weeks total) and scheduled it at the beginning of third year right after step 1. Combined with the time off you get for step studying this can end up being a substantial "summer equivalent" and you can still spend the summer after m1 with your family.

Reactions: 1 user