rotations at COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adri

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any 3rd or 4th years could give me advice on where to rotate for my 3rd year at COMP. I am a 2nd year and I know that Arrowhead seems to be the best...but I don't want to live out here anymore...what other hospitals do you all recommend that are closer to the coast? What are some of the pros and cons of Long Beach, Downey....etc.?I am very ignorant about this important choice we will be making next month...the school (the dean's office) is very shady about giving information about each of the hospitals. I would appreciate any advice and comments
adriana

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am going to be an msI next year...I'd like some background info. as well concerning rotations. I know they are changing the curriculum but I'd still like an idea of what to expect...so please offer some info. if possible!

Sorry, this is totally off the real subject, but is there a "Pomona Valley Hospital" near COMP? If so, do you do any rotations/have any exposure to that hospital

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am a MSIII just finish my block (5 months consist of IM, Surgery, and FP) over at Downey Regional Hospital.
Pro: You will learn a great deal. There is morning report with different attending each morning. There is Dr. Multani (a great cardiologist)giving lecture about twice a week there. His lectures are way better than any lecture I have in COMP (maybe except Dr. Leo's). I learn how to do and write H&P, dictation of H&P and discharge summary, daily soap notes on pts, ICU notes and writing prescription notes. The Interns and residents are mostly graduates from COMP, and they are extremely helpful to me.
Cons: The schedule is tough, especially for IM rotation. You will be on call about once a week. Your day starts around 6 am, and you will leave around 6-7 pm at night most of the time. You will probably get 2 days off of the whole 4-week rotation. When the attending miss morning report, the morning report is not as good--because you miss out on all the clinical pearls. It's a good thing that this doesn't happen very often.
Overall, I highly recommend Downey Hospital. I get to scrub in on many different surgery when I was doing my surgery rotation. Surgery over at Downey is great for beginner. They teach you step by step about sterile techniques and scrubbing-in.
If anyone have specific question, feel free to email me. This is just my opinion about my past 5 months experience there. It would be better for the MSII and the incoming new students to hear other students' experience.

Pei, COMP MSIII

P.S. Pomona Valley is 5 min. away from the school. I know there are quite a few COMP students rotate there each year.

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited 12-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by peiyueng (edited 12-12-2000).]

I was excited about doing rotations at Riverside General. But now, i find out that they are not affiliated with them anymore, bummer. I got this from the list of affiliations on their website.

The hospitals that are on the list are "tentative". Riverside Gen is on the list for us but that could change next week or next month. Right now we have about 15 hospitals on the list including a place in Vegas and in Portland. They are trying to get a block going in San Diego (naval)...we won't know definite answers until next month.
Has anyone heard anything about Western Med(anaheim and santa ana)? Or about long beach memorial?

I was volunteering at CHOC (Children's Hospital of Orange County) the other day and noticed a couple of doctors with Western U. patches. Do students rotate through CHOC for a ped rotation or is it mainly doctors that are doing their ped residents? I was also interested in hearing about the hospitals in Long Beach. I've seen some COMPers at Pacific Hospital but I don't know about the other hospitals like St. Mary's or Memorial. Any additional info would be helpful.. thanks.

I'm also wondering about what rotations are available in Socal, specifically in the Orange County region. What hospitals are considered teaching hospitals that would be good to rotate at during 3rd/4th year as a DO student. Has anyone heard about UCI medical? Any advice on any hospitals would be great!

holy cow this thread is old!! i was reading peiyueng's post about being an msiii and noticed that the status was "attending"...i was like wtf...then i noticed this thread is 8 years old!!

WOAH! haha i didn't even notice! i just did a search a saw a few posts. well it's a good time to revive this (or i can just make a new post). i figure it's all the same. I caught one person's attention. now i just need someone to answer my questions....