Rotc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boon Doctor

The Tree-Tacklin' Bum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone can properly answer my question here, but my unit is currently in ADSW status preparing to deploy to Iraq in September. Being that we're in ADSW status and not under federal orders for the deployment, I know it is still legally possible for me to contract with ROTC as a SMP (simultaneous membership), but I'm a little afraid to talk to my Commander about it because he has to sign off on the DA 594-1. The reason is because I feel that it would be insulting to ask him to release me from the list of deployables so close to our mobilization date. Does anyone have any advice on how I should approach him? I've talked to a National Guard liaison and he was supposed to contact his boss, a Major in the Officer Recruiting and Retention Command, but neither has contacted my CO to help jumpstart conversations. I just graduated AIT about 2 months ago, and the reason I enlisted was so that I could do the SMP program but now I am faced with deployment... I really don't mind going as I am completely aware of all the pros, but I'd much rather continue my medical education and commission ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm probably not the only one understanding you. You're enlisted right, and sounds like reserve. What current medical education are you undertaking? What in the world is ADSW? If you medical, what in the world do you have to do with ROTC, that's for undergrad. Are you an undergrad going premed? What's a DA 594-1, I haven't run across that one in my seven years, or at least don't remember it.

As for as talking to the CO or XO (where you should start, after you've talked to the senior NCO), it's just like talking to any other boss. You have a right to talk to him and explain your situation, and I would be sure to mention that if he doesn't sign off on it, you understand and are more than willing to go. Of course, just like the real world, there are good CO's and there are a BUNCH of schmucks. Don't know your CO, so I can't say. My best advice, you better darn well make sure you go up your chain of command with this one, starting with the CO and having it come back down your chain will not be pleasant for you. I used to be midlevel in that chain, and being blindsided by my superior about one of my guys was not fun, and then not fun for my chief, and then not fun for my guy.

start the paperwork ASAP, cause it takes awhile. I did it about 3 years ago-don't feel bad. You'll be much more useful to the Army as a doctor, or a PL at the very least, than you'll be at the the rank you are now. They all know that they desperately need officers (to the point that the national guard is direct commissioning E6's and above) so I don't think you'll catch a lot of flak for wanting to do this. I was SMP too, and went through the same decision, and wouldn't be in med school right now if I hadn't done it.