Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard updates on the laptop policy? I know that at accepted students day Dr. Boyd mentioned that they were working on an Apple based option for those students who prefer Mac. She also mentioned they are working an iPad initiative. I was in touch with her via email a few weeks ago and said they were still discussing. Any second, third, or fourth years hear anything?

I really hope they do offer Mac/iPad. The continuity features with OSX Yosemite and ios 8 look pretty neat.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree the updates look really awesome! It'd be so nice to be able to start notes on one device and not have to worry about transferring them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted off the wait list on 5/29!

Can't wait to meet everyone else this fall! :) And good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the average MCAT is? I read that it was a 28. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know what the average MCAT is? I read that it was a 28. Can anyone confirm this?

Not sure what the incoming class is, but last year it was a 28 with a 3.63 gpa

Reactions: 1 user
I am still waiting on the waitlist. I was told that the waitlist is exceptionally slow-moving this year. I don't know if everyone Rowan accepted is actually planning on attending. If not, I really wish that everyone who knows for sure they will not be attending RowanSOM to withdraw so the waitlist can begin to move more rapidly!

I am still waiting on the waitlist. I was told that the waitlist is exceptionally slow-moving this year. I don't know if everyone Rowan accepted is actually planning on attending. If not, I really wish that everyone who knows for sure they will not be attending RowanSOM to withdraw so the waitlist can begin to move more rapidly!

I'll say this much: the MD WLs are moving slower too, meaning there is much less cherry picking from DO programs. However, having said that, it is still early and there is plenty of time still for movement to occur. UCSF apparently started moving a lot recently.

I'll say this much: the MD WLs are moving slower too, meaning there is much less cherry picking from DO programs. However, having said that, it is still early and there is plenty of time still for movement to occur. UCSF apparently started moving a lot recently.

Yeah it is such a multifaceted process. I think some people are definitely committed elsewhere and for whatever reason are not withdrawing their other spots, while others are still waiting for a school they would rather go to. Of course, every year is different and this one seems to be particularly "agonizing."

I know it's somewhat early still, but I really want to go here and I guess I am getting somewhat anxious.

I don't know if you're going to Rowan or waitlisted or going elsewhere, but best of luck to you!

I think we can all agree with you there haha. In the end it will be alright though. The spots will open up and the waitlist will move. We got this! The waitlist has moved at least 10 percentile points since it started so you can already add at least 10 to your original rank. This doesn't include movement that happened in the middle of the list too. Keep in there though. We will survive this and think back on it laughing on how trivial it was in the end. We will think back as attending physicians who were accepted this year or had to reapply and got accepted the next year. In the end we accomplished the same goal.

I do agree though haha. Knowing sooner would be nice with my housing and financial decisions right now. Got a friend that lives down there that I would love to live with, but obviously no one can sign a lease without a definite yes or no. Oof.

I think we can all agree with you there haha. In the end it will be alright though. The spots will open up and the waitlist will move. We got this! The waitlist has moved at least 10 percentile points since it started so you can already add at least 10 to your original rank. This doesn't include movement that happened in the middle of the list too. Keep in there though. We will survive this and think back on it laughing on how trivial it was in the end. We will think back as attending physicians who were accepted this year or had to reapply and got accepted the next year. In the end we accomplished the same goal.

I do agree though haha. Knowing sooner would be nice with my housing and financial decisions right now. Got a friend that lives down there that I would love to live with, but obviously no one can sign a lease without a definite yes or no. Oof.

Haha yeah you're absolutely right! Thanks!

Yeah, I can relate with the whole "where am I going to live?/what am I going to do?" and all the other overwhelming unknowns. But like you said it will work out in the end and this is just the process we gotta go through.

However, I wish there was a requirement of some sort that would make students withdraw from all other schools after they committed somewhere, but I don't really know how that would work. I also wish there was an online waitlist ranking (with IDs instead of names) that we could actively check because I honestly feel like calling everyday haha. Obviously I am over-analyzing and becoming preoccupied with things out of my control. I definitely need to stop haha.

Best of luck!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to put this out there. A lot of people have been asking me advice on what to do with the waitlist if they were accepted to another school. My advice is to make plans for that school you are confirmed for. Find an apartment, pay attention to the termination policy, plan your travel and etc. Best case is you are called off of the waitlist and you spend "x" amount coming back up. In the long run you will still save more money because our tuition is cheaper so you can consider that a win. If you aren't called off, then at least you don't have to scramble and you will be all set to go. I was prepped to go to SGU till I was accepted to SOM so I do take my own advice haha. I wish you all the best of luck in the coming months but please remember to relax (or try)! It is summer you know, go to the beach or something.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious but why aren't they already embroidered?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile
With our names. I'm guessing it's because if the coat doesn't fit then we wouldn't be able to exchange it. With that said, it would be awesome if we did have it or a nice name plate!

With our names. I'm guessing it's because if the coat doesn't fit then we wouldn't be able to exchange it. With that said, it would be awesome if we did have it or a nice name plate!

After selecting a size through the survey, I think they should just put our names on it lol. I know a whole bunch of schools who do it. Oh well, I guess it can be done later.

Just curious but why aren't they already embroidered?

1. You need to ensure you have the correct size coat
2. Students have on occasion been called on white coat day to join the incoming class
3. Embroidery is NOT paid for by the school. It's the individual students option to have their name embroidered.

So for a number of years, the family medicine club has organized an embroidery drive for a good deal and relatively quick turn-around time. Prices and dates for drop off will be announced sometime in August.

we also pay during intern year if we want our names embroidered. I do recommend buying an extra coat third year.

This is a random side question on how to interpret our waitlist rank. Hopefully it's not too neurotic.

Does or rank change or does it remain the same throughout the entire summer? Obviously if it doesn't change it just means that they do not recalculate it and it's still moving. Just curious how to interpret it.

For instance if someone starts at the 50th percentile at the beginning of the summer. Will they be 70th percentile later or will they remain 50th (but still closer to the top since the top 20 were taken off the list)?

This is also a random question.

Do you think most, if not all, of the applicants that are on the waitlist are definitely waiting for RowanSOM? I guess it might be clearer to phrase it this way: do you guys think that some people are on the waitlist, but have no intention of attending RowanSOM and just have not withdrawn? Or does the school confirm the intent of each waitlist applicant and we are solely relying on accepted students to withdraw for waitlist movement?

This is a random side question on how to interpret our waitlist rank. Hopefully it's not too neurotic.

Does or rank change or does it remain the same throughout the entire summer? Obviously if it doesn't change it just means that they do not recalculate it and it's still moving. Just curious how to interpret it.

For instance if someone starts at the 50th percentile at the beginning of the summer. Will they be 70th percentile later or will they remain 50th (but still closer to the top since the top 20 were taken off the list)?

They do not add people in the summer to the waitlist because the interview process is over. I hear they do re-evaluate from time to time but most of the time its strictly a "move up by having someone drop out or get in" list.

This is also a random question.

Do you think most, if not all, of the applicants that are on the waitlist are definitely waiting for RowanSOM? I guess it might be clearer to phrase it this way: do you guys think that some people are on the waitlist, but have no intention of attending RowanSOM and just have not withdrawn? Or does the school confirm the intent of each waitlist applicant and we are solely relying on accepted students to withdraw for waitlist movement?

I am sure not everyone on the list is 100% committed to RowanSOM because nothing in this world is 100% (cept for death). During my year there were some drop outs and some people that were called off that rejected the invitation (I assumed). There is no "confirmation of interest" until you reach the "next person to be called off the list". Stop worrying about the details, all you can really do is wait.

Accepted Friday the 13th!!!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
I was in the top 12 % when the wait list was ranked. The wait list is definitely moving slowly this year, but it is moving! Good luck to everyone on it!
Can't wait to meet everyone :)

Reactions: 5 users
Ive been following the forum for the last 2-3 months. This is my first post. And im happy to say I was Accepted on Monday!!!!

To be honest, i didn't know much about the school, but I liked its mission and just throw my name in the hat. Once I interviewed, I fell in love with the program and I am honored to be entering this years class.

Cant wait to meet you all!! and for those on the wait-list still, keep the faith. I cant tell you why I was chosen, but I know that through God All is possible.

PS. I started off at top 14%

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all! I haven't posted on any thread in a while! After I got accepted here I slowly fell off of the SDN game. I am pretty confused as to what I should do. Still holding a seat here at rowansom, another osteopathic school and I also got into one MD! Obv, want to go MD, but tuition is a factor. Im prob gonna withdraw from the other DO school. I guess I can come out of med school from either rowansom or md school and make enough bills to pay off my loans. But I heard that SOM students don't do as well on boards!? but then I also heard that board scores averages are skewed at SOM because they accept some students with low academic credentials who fit "other" criteria. Who knows what is true? Lastly, I hears rowansom is still facing some of the repercussions of the whole "umdnj som scandal and controversy" from the mid 2000s with former deans, politics etc (wiki it)

I am giving myself until this wednesday for a final decision, so any advice would be nice! Please help a homeboi out haha!

Hey all! I haven't posted on any thread in a while! After I got accepted here I slowly fell off of the SDN game. I am pretty confused as to what I should do. Still holding a seat here at rowansom, another osteopathic school and I also got into one MD! Obv, want to go MD, but tuition is a factor. Im prob gonna withdraw from the other DO school. I guess I can come out of med school from either rowansom or md school and make enough bills to pay off my loans. But I heard that SOM students don't do as well on boards!? but then I also heard that board scores averages are skewed at SOM because they accept some students with low academic credentials who fit "other" criteria. Who knows what is true? Lastly, I hears rowansom is still facing some of the repercussions of the whole "umdnj som scandal and controversy" from the mid 2000s with former deans, politics etc (wiki it)

I am giving myself until this wednesday for a final decision, so any advice would be nice! Please help a homeboi out haha!

You've already made your decision based on what you typed. Give up your seat at SOM and go to the MD institution that granted you admission. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope the MD institution is everything you dreamed medical school to be and more!

You've already made your decision based on what you typed. Give up your seat at SOM and go to the MD institution that granted you admission. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and hope the MD institution is everything you dreamed medical school to be and more!

I concur!

Now go continue studying for Level 1

Everybody wish this person luck on the upcoming Board exam, although luck is not needed in this case

(and the score won't be skewed because of "other" criteria)

I concur!

Now go continue studying for Level 1

Everybody wish this person luck on the upcoming Board exam, although luck is not needed in this case

(and the score won't be skewed because of "other" criteria)

I agree also. Give up your seat if you have any doubts/concerns. You might give someone who actually wants to go here a chance! Best of luck.

I have to say as a new alum and current intern the school cannot be more amazing. I don't think our board fail rates are any worse than any other school and our match list was very good, over 17+ EM matches, allo matches at UCSD, Brown and other high tier places. Our Dean and staff are fabulous. But go where your gut instinct says you'd be happiest. And please give up your other 2 seats as soon as possible - in allo world you have to pick one by May 15 so holding 3 seats is not fair to students waiting. If you have any questions PM me. Good luck

thanks for the feedback everyone. I will be withdrawing from rowan.

Question regarding the merger of Rowan. I was wondering if this means we would have access to the undergrad facilities too. I know the medical school has a gym of their own, but would I have access to the undergrad gym too? If I am accepted I would live relatively close to the Glasboro campus with a friend that is attending Rowan for his undergrad. Would we be able to use the gym together? What about the libraries and other resources?

Congratulations on the other acceptances KobeDO! Hope you enjoy your first year!!

Question regarding the merger of Rowan. I was wondering if this means we would have access to the undergrad facilities too. I know the medical school has a gym of their own, but would I have access to the undergrad gym too? If I am accepted I would live relatively close to the Glasboro campus with a friend that is attending Rowan for his undergrad. Would we be able to use the gym together? What about the libraries and other resources?

Congratulations on the other acceptances KobeDO! Hope you enjoy your first year!!
Yes, you would just need to pick up an ID for the undergrad campus unless the new ones you'll get during orientation are coded for both campuses. We have access to everything at the undergrad. I don't think we have full access to Cooper medical school facilities though, probably just their library but I've never had a need to go.

Hi Everyone! If accepted students or students waiting to hear back are looking for apartments in the near future, I would definitely recommend Foster Square. I just visited the area and absolutely loved this apartment over others. It's in a very safe area with great amenities. I am not from South Jersey, so after comparing costs and researching different places, I'd put this at the top. If anyone is interested, call their leasing office and reach out to Su directly. There are great offers and discounts for incoming Rowan medical students. I hope this helps anyone who may be trying to find a place in short notice. Best of Luck!

Yes, you would just need to pick up an ID for the undergrad campus unless the new ones you'll get during orientation are coded for both campuses. We have access to everything at the undergrad. I don't think we have full access to Cooper medical school facilities though, probably just their library but I've never had a need to go.

Thanks! That helps a lot! Back to distracting myself from the waitlist again.

They are in the process of issuing Rowan IDs to all of us but last I heard (Monday), the IDs were not working as they were issuing them to the pre-matrics.

Hi Everyone! If accepted students or students waiting to hear back are looking for apartments in the near future, I would definitely recommend Foster Square. I just visited the area and absolutely loved this apartment over others. It's in a very safe area with great amenities. I am not from South Jersey, so after comparing costs and researching different places, I'd put this at the top. If anyone is interested, call their leasing office and reach out to Su directly. There are great offers and discounts for incoming Rowan medical students. I hope this helps anyone who may be trying to find a place in short notice. Best of Luck!

They are great and most of the class ends up living there. It's just pricey. Word of advice, get 3 people per apartment and then that is manageable.

anyone know where the waitlist is at now, meaning what percent have they gone through?

anyone know where the waitlist is at now, meaning what percent have they gone through?

Based on the last post we got, the top 14% has moved. Not sure if it helps but I am approximately around the top 25% (assuming what I was originally given was percentile and not my percent) and am still hopefully waiting on some good news.

So we are somewhere between the top 14% and 25% as of around 2 weeks ago. The list appears to be moving excruciatingly slow this cycle though so we shall see.

Perhaps we will get someone in the middle chiming in on an acceptance soon. I must say we are pretty spoiled here though. Wandered into other threads and it appears no one else has numeric ranks like we do.

Good Luck btw!

Based on the last post we got, the top 14% has moved. Not sure if it helps but I am approximately around the top 25% (assuming what I was originally given was percentile and not my percent) and am still hopefully waiting on some good news.

So we are somewhere between the top 14% and 25% as of around 2 weeks ago. The list appears to be moving excruciatingly slow this cycle though so we shall see.

Perhaps we will get someone in the middle chiming in on an acceptance soon. I must say we are pretty spoiled here though. Wandered into other threads and it appears no one else has numeric ranks like we do.

Good Luck btw!

That's what I thought based on one of the most recent acceptance posts. I, myself am in the top 25% as well so best of luck to us both. Hoping to get a call from them before July 25th!

Goodluck!

I really hope we all get some good news soon! I am trying to not let it consume me, but it's hard to distract myself.

Has anyone been recently accepted off of the waitlist?

I hope we all get accepted in the very near future!

I'm sure you guys can call admissions and see where you are now if you already haven't done so. I was accepted off the wait list and I called about once a week to see how far the list moved.

I'm sure you guys can call admissions and see where you are now if you already haven't done so. I was accepted off the wait list and I called about once a week to see how far the list moved.

Please what was your ranking, if I may ask

Yeah, what percentage were you in?

They do not add people in the summer to the waitlist because the interview process is over. I hear they do re-evaluate from time to time but most of the time its strictly a "move up by having someone drop out or get in" list.

I am sure not everyone on the list is 100% committed to RowanSOM because nothing in this world is 100% (cept for death). During my year there were some drop outs and some people that were called off that rejected the invitation (I assumed). There is no "confirmation of interest" until you reach the "next person to be called off the list". Stop worrying about the details, all you can really do is wait.
it looks like you got off the waitlist late last year, please what was your ranking/percentile on the list last year? thanks

Fortunately I was top 5%. It took about two weeks to get off the wait list. And I agree it is moving slow this year.

I had a mentor through their gsbs program, which I finished this past year, and he was accepted several days before white coat ceremony and was top 30% so hang in there.

Try calling every week and ask what your current rank. Ask for Marisole (administrative assistant) if possible She's really helpful!

it looks like you got off the waitlist late last year, please what was your ranking/percentile on the list last year? thanks

Hey businessdoctor, its sorta difficult for me to put my wait list percentage on here as I know a lot of people will use that as a guarantee. I must stress that this wait list system is different from last year and therefore any numbers pulled up from last year may be invalid when compared to this year. As many people have said, its quite different this year. I would recommend you keep an eye on the waitlits movement. There is still roughly 4 weeks left and anything can happen.

Sorry guys and gals, I just don't want anyone to be angry at me if their number is lower than mine was and they aren't called.I believe in all of you and keep up the faith! I hope you can all enjoy summer to some extent and good luck.

Good Luck btw!

You might want to double check that. I thought what I was first given was my percentile but when I called today, it was actually the percent. So if you were 99th percentile, that actually means you are at the bottom of the list.

You might want to double check that. I thought what I was first given was my percentile but when I called today, it was actually the percent. So if you were 99th percentile, that actually means you are at the bottom of the list.

Everytime I called they told me my percenTILE. Not sure why they would tell you a percentage indicating how far you are from the bottom of the list.

Everytime I called they told me my percenTILE. Not sure why they would tell you a percentage indicating how far you are from the bottom of the list.

Yep, they always said percentile whenever I called, but this time, the person on the phone decided to add whether or not it was the top or the bottom of the list.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate you looking out for me. I did call shortly after making that post and found out that it is unfortunately true. I'm just calling it on my own misinterpretation. I am definitely reapplying here and hoping to see if I can clear a summer course right before the deadline to try applying early decision this cycle.

Keep in there though. Remember the FACTS. You made an interview out of a massive amount of applicants. You made waitlist. Your near the top. Keep in there.

There are plenty of people still holding multiple acceptances right now. They told me this when I last called. In addition to this there are plenty others still on the waitlist that never informed Rowan SOM that they are no longer interested. If they are accepted elsewhere then it could be that they do not want to lose their deposit on another school or signed a lease. Who knows. Just know that you got a chance. A really good one too!