Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my top choice DO school as I live 5 minutes away! I am an underdog as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know of any international student who has gotten in to this school in the past? I am Canadian

Does anyone know of any international student who has gotten in to this school in the past? I am Canadian

I am not sure if any international applicants have been accepted here before. I do know that there is a very heavy regional bias. According to data from Rowan when it was UMDNJ suggests that it is not a very good chance that an international applicant would be accepted. If it is a school you are very interested in and your stats are around or above their averages than you could always give it a shot.

I am not sure if any international applicants have been accepted here before. I do know that there is a very heavy regional bias. According to data from Rowan when it was UMDNJ suggests that it is not a very good chance that an international applicant would be accepted. If it is a school you are very interested in and your stats are around or above their averages than you could always give it a shot.
Yeah the idea of "giving it a shot" is what I am confused about. I am trying to decide whether its worth spending the money or since no international applicant ever got accepted here before, I should just save the money for another school..

I know we had people in my class who were born outside the US but am not sure if they lived in the US while applying. Call the admissions office and ask.

They state that they accept apps from outside the us, but it should also be noted that 88% are from NJ last year according to their website, so that leaves 12% of apps for OOS and international applicants.

They state that they accept apps from outside the us, but it should also be noted that 88% are from NJ last year according to their website, so that leaves 12% of apps for OOS and international applicants.

I sent them an email and all they said was, " we will review applications from international applicants". So, I guess it is worth a shot. Does anyone know the average stats of matriculants for the school in the past years?

I sent them an email and all they said was, " we will review applications from international applicants". So, I guess it is worth a shot. Does anyone know the average stats of matriculants for the school in the past years?

For the 2013 entering class, averages are as follows: 3.63 cGPA, 3.55sGPA and a 28 MCAT. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide do!

OOS but strong connections w/family + used to live in NJ. Did the secondary prompt last year leave any room to discuss such ties? Didn't see any in whats on SDN. If not, where could I discuss it to try to get an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying OOS as well.

Does anyone know what the character/word limit was on last year's secondaries? Below are the prompts, and I think current students recommended writing one essay that answered both questions.

1. Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

2. How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

Applying as an Underdog Here.
31 MCAT
cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.15

Lots of Shadowing, EMT hours, and Volunteer Hours.
Also NJ resident.

Think I have a shot? I really want to go here. Its only half hour away from me.
Hell yes!! Being IS is a huge plus and the 31 does not hurt either :p! Im applying OOS/NY with 29/3.9+ hoping for some love!

Hell yes!! Being IS is a huge plus and the 31 does not hurt either :p! Im applying OOS/NY with 29/3.9+ hoping for some love!

You will definitely get an interview! A 3.9+ is amazing and that 29 is still above their average. OOS or not those are some amazing stats for DO schools!

You will definitely get an interview! A 3.9+ is amazing and that 29 is still above their average. OOS or not those are some amazing stats for DO schools!
Thank you & I hope so! Hope we get interviewed and then accepted :)

I think you both are in a really good position! Good Luck guys!!

31 MCAT
cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.15

Also NJ resident.

Not sure if really an underdog with that mcat. Have faith!

Reactions: 1 users
IS, Number 1 on my D.O. list. Anyone get a "application received" email? I haven't but their website says they will email you one.

31 MCAT
cGPA 3.35
sGPA 3.15

Also NJ resident.

You seem ok, especially with your upward trend I see in your other post. I think you will get an interview, but with that the problem is the science gpa mostly. They might recommend taking masters classes to boost it. Many people do that.

Anyone have any idea when the Secondary is coming out?

Anyone have any idea when the Secondary is coming out?
I received an email from them a while ago saying they are working on an online system for secondary applications and when that is all set, they will let us know.

I received an email from them a while ago saying they are working on an online system for secondary applications and when that is all set, they will let us know.

Yeah I got that message too. I'm excited to be applying here, looks like a great program!

Do you guys think it is worth it to apply here with a 6 on verbal? I got 10+ on science sections, however. I have 3.85 cGPA and 3.8 sGPA. Good ECs.

How are your ECs?

2 Shadowing experiences, 4 years of teaching as a volunteer at church, volunteering as patient transporter for 200 hrs, helping jobless ppl at the train station for 2 years, research for 2 years, several leadership experiences in christian clubs and 4 years as a drummer of praise band in one of these clubs

I am an IS applicant btw.

2 Shadowing experiences, 4 years of teaching as a volunteer at church, volunteering as patient transporter for 200 hrs, helping jobless ppl at the train station for 2 years, research for 2 years, several leadership experiences in christian clubs and 4 years as a drummer of praise band in one of these clubs

I am an IS applicant btw.

I think you look awesome and def should get an interview.

Did they send out secondaries yet?

Do you guys think it is worth it to apply here with a 6 on verbal? I got 10+ on science sections, however. I have 3.85 cGPA and 3.8 sGPA. Good ECs.

I think you have an excellent chance! Your GPA is fantastic and your MCAT is in a good place considering you said you are 10+ in the other two sections. That means that you are probably at least a 26 overall (which is an excellent score!) and I would venture to say 27 or 28 if you said 10+ in your previous post. In this case you are near the average for the school which is a 28 and well above their average of 3.6 cGPA. Now, a 6 in a single section is going to stand out. But! You have some great extracurriculars and english is not your first language which helps make up for the lower verbal score. Obviously ESL does not excuse you completely but it is better than a native speaker getting a lower score.

Also you are IS! Rowan SOM has a great preference for IS applicants so I think you are in a great position. Good Luck this cycle!

I visited Rowan about two years ago for an open house and wasn't too sure how student life and the surrounding environment were like. Any Rowan medical students care to share? How's school there for you?

I think you have an excellent chance! Your GPA is fantastic and your MCAT is in a good place considering you said you are 10+ in the other two sections. That means that you are probably at least a 26 overall (which is an excellent score!) and I would venture to say 27 or 28 if you said 10+ in your previous post. In this case you are near the average for the school which is a 28 and well above their average of 3.6 cGPA. Now, a 6 in a single section is going to stand out. But! You have some great extracurriculars and english is not your first language which helps make up for the lower verbal score. Obviously ESL does not excuse you completely but it is better than a native speaker getting a lower score.

Also you are IS! Rowan SOM has a great preference for IS applicants so I think you are in a great position. Good Luck this cycle!

Thank you so much for the kind words.
How are they going to find out if I am ESL though?

Also, do you know if they already started sending out their secondaries?

Thank you so much for the kind words.
How are they going to find out if I am ESL though?

Also, do you know if they already started sending out their secondaries?

It all depends on how you structured your application. You could have implied it in the content of your personal statement or elsewhere if you had liked. Obviously if you did not do this its fine and may not have been necessary given your approach to the personal statement. A 6 should not get you screened out as your GPA is really good. Your GPA clearly tells admissions that you can be successful alongside native speakers. It might come up in an interview so be prepared, but if it doesn't then it clearly was not important enough compared to your other experiences. The interview is really conversational and really low stress.

As for secondaries I was lead to believe that it will be online this year so perhaps there are some delays there. If you want you could always pre-write the secondaries from last year. I was lead to believe that they are still keeping the previous two questions from last year but will also add a new question to the mix. That way you can feel ready for when the online system does go live. I would not worry though. We are still really early in the cycle and people go interviews into April of this year. So sit back and relax in the idea that you are ahead of most of the applicants right now.

Reactions: 1 users
It all depends on how you structured your application. You could have implied it in the content of your personal statement or elsewhere if you had liked. Obviously if you did not do this its fine and may not have been necessary given your approach to the personal statement. A 6 should not get you screened out as your GPA is really good. Your GPA clearly tells admissions that you can be successful alongside native speakers. It might come up in an interview so be prepared, but if it doesn't then it clearly was not important enough compared to your other experiences. The interview is really conversational and really low stress.

As for secondaries I was lead to believe that it will be online this year so perhaps there are some delays there. If you want you could always pre-write the secondaries from last year. I was lead to believe that they are still keeping the previous two questions from last year but will also add a new question to the mix. That way you can feel ready for when the online system does go live. I would not worry though. We are still really early in the cycle and people go interviews into April of this year. So sit back and relax in the idea that you are ahead of most of the applicants right now.

Thanks again!!

do I have chance with 3.3 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa, 31 MCAT (10 ps, 9 v, 12, bs) OOS?

Just got the email. It said they hope to have the online secondary running by Aug. 1. Mean while the prompts are
Question 1 (Required):

Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

Question 2 (Required):

How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

Question 3 (Optional):

Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.

750 word limit.

Just got the email. It said they hope to have the online secondary running by Aug. 1. Mean while the prompts are
Question 1 (Required):

Explain the process by which you decided that osteopathic medicine was right for you?

Question 2 (Required):

How does the osteopathic profession fit into your professional goals and values?

Question 3 (Optional):

Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals.

750 word limit.
How do people feel about question 3 being optional. I mean is this a typical "write about a challenge" type of essay? Or is this really only for like people who REALLY overcame some crazy stuff and like are URM applicants and stuff? The fact that it is optional has put some doubt in my mind, instinctively I would not answer this question... I dont want to come off as some prick who thinks the world is against him haha. I have surely had some hurdles to overcome, but I have had a pretty good life.

Last edited:
How do people feel about question 3 being optional. I mean its this a typical "write about a challenge" type of essay? Or is this really only for like people who REALLY overcame some crazy stuff and like URM applicants and stuff? The fact that it is optional has put some doubt in my mind, instinctively I would not answer this question... I dont want to come off as some prick who thinks the world is against him haha. I have surely had some hurdles to overcome, but I have had a pretty good life.
I was thinking the former but now you have me wondering too haha

I plan on leaving it blank. I can't think of anything significant besides money but I don't plan on bringing that up.

I plan on leaving it blank. I can't think of anything significant besides money but I don't plan on bringing that up.
Yea I pretty much just have typical crap: money, first away to college, challenging courses, balancing school and work etc. But nothing that I would feel comfortable putting on an optional essay asked to describe "significant barriers."

Well thats good news, just 2 essays then haha!

Question 1 (Required):

Question 2 (Required):

Question 3 (Optional):

750 word limit.

Just a quick question since I am pre-writing these right now and a little behind in the whole application process. Does the email describe the word limit in more detail? I can only assume its 750 words each or do they want some short essays? Just clarifying since we use a word count for our personal statements and 700 words is pretty close to our personal statement size. Its perfectly fine but I do not want to write a nice sized essay and find out I have to cut it down a great deal later on.

I visited Rowan about two years ago for an open house and wasn't too sure how student life and the surrounding environment were like. Any Rowan medical students care to share? How's school there for you?

I am a current Rowan rising 2nd year so this may be biased but I loved it here ever since I came to the Pre-SOMA conference a while back. Everyone is really friendly from the staff to the students. It really feels like we are a family here because we all share notes, we all help each other out, we all go out together and etc. There really isn't a cut throat attitude here since we don't get ranked. I would say there isn't that attitude at all but you still do have a handful of gunners. Other than that, I love it. Most students will end up living somewhere nearby and I haven't heard of any complaints about the area. It's safe, and Voorhees has a small town square where we all like to go grab a few beers and watch the game if we have time. You are also 20 mins from Philly for those nights you want to get really wild.

I've seen all types of people at school so you will def fit in pretty quickly. As for the faculty, they are all really really nice. Very approachable and it actually felt like they wanted you to succeed. The courses are difficult but fair in my opinion. There are some kinks here and there in the courses but what course doesn't have the occasional speed bump.

Overall, I love the environment, my class and the school. Even the Dean is great, you will randomly catch him walking downstairs and talking to some students. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask or to PM me.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a quick question since I am pre-writing these right now and a little behind in the whole application process. Does the email describe the word limit in more detail? I can only assume its 750 words each or do they want some short essays? Just clarifying since we use a word count for our personal statements and 700 words is pretty close to our personal statement size. Its perfectly fine but I do not want to write a nice sized essay and find out I have to cut it down a great deal later on.

750 words for each response was stated in the email.

Even though they give you 750 words I don't plan on using all of them because that is pretty lengthy. I am going to limit my response to 500 max but probably less. I like to keep my secondaries short and concise. But that is only my opinion.

On a side note it is still early in the game. Good luck.

Question 1 (Required):

Question 2 (Required):

Question 3 (Optional):

750 word limit.

Is it ok to do Questions 1 and 2 together. i pre-wrote and in last years thread most people seemed to answer them in 1 essay. But in this email, they're listed as separate questions

Last edited: