Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview 1/15 and haven't heard anything...kinda sad :-/ did they meet last week??
I interviewed on Jan. 8th and still haven't heard back. Been checking my mailbox for any letter of rejection/waitlist but nothing so far.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well cancel what I just said. Just got a call from the admissions and got accepted! So I guess it will be either this week or 2 weeks from now for people who interviewed after Jan. 8th.

Reactions: 1 users
Yuppp looks like I freaked out prematurely!! Acceptance call just now! Yayyy!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just got the phone call.... ACCEPTED!

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received II recently?

Late but I got a call earlier informing acceptance! Was watcbing COD Modern war fare YouTube videos and the call scared me lol. Congrats to all! Those still waiting. I intervieed 1/6 . I believe they are behind a bit cause of snow and electronic transition in application. Mrs. Watkins told me it would take only 2-3 weeks but it took a month so don't give up hope. This school doesn't do silent rejections or silent waitlists. You are informed when they decide good or bad. So hold on in there. I understand waiting is hard cause I waited a month to hear from interview and still waiting other places for over 3 months post interview. So don't worry. It's out of your hands now and all you can do is wait and keep yourselves occupied.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone got an II yesterday? It seems like a lot of acceptances (congrats to who got in), but I haven't seen any interviews. I was complete in November and haven't heard anything. I sent an update letter two weeks ago.

Reactions: 3 users
For those who have interviewed. What time can expect the PM interview day to be over? I am referring to the 10:30am session. Also I am debating whether or not to book a flight leaving on the same day. Was it common for other students to bring their luggage to the interview?

Has anyone received an interview invitation recently? Does anyone have a sense of how filled the class is? I am an instate resident who would love to attend here.

Accepted OOS - interview 1/16

completed my secondary 11/8

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/22. In state, 28 MCAT l, 3.72cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, reapplicant

Members don't see this ad :)
if you were waitlisted what did it say in your portal? has anyone who interviewed 1/16 not heard back yet?

OOS, accepted 02/13/15!

Secondary completed 10/06/14

Interviewed 01/16/15

Best wishes everyone!

Received a letter in the mail today that I was placed on the alternate list. I just want to confirm that this is indeed the Waitlist and not some other designation.

Additionally, I was wondering if any one had any idea how many people Rowan typically takes from the waitlist for acceptance?

10/6 complete. Heard nothing so far.
So I emailed Paula yesterday, and she called me today but I missed it and she wants me to call her back.

Will see what this means tmr when I call her..

To ppl who got ii, does Paula call you to give out the invitation?

10/6 complete. Heard nothing so far.
So I emailed Paula yesterday, and she called me today but I missed it and she wants me to call her back.

Will see what this means tmr when I call her..

To ppl who got ii, does Paula call you to give out the invitation?
Not usually. Normally an email is sent out for interview invite. Once your interview is confirmed/scheduled, someone from admissions will give you a phone call to inform you of your exact interview time and answer any questions you might have. Fingers crossed and hope it will be good news tomorrow for you!

Received a letter in the mail today that I was placed on the alternate list. I just want to confirm that this is indeed the Waitlist and not some other designation.

Additionally, I was wondering if any one had any idea how many people Rowan typically takes from the waitlist for acceptance?
I believe alternate list = waitlist. The admissions will likely start pulling people off waitlist once all the interviews have been conducted (probably at the end of April). And waitlist movement varies significantly from year to year but usually there are some substantial movements based on past years (refer to the RowanSOM thread from the past few years).

To get an idea of turnaround time on these letters, could you let us know when you interviewed?

All the items on my file have green checkmarks, but I didn't get a official "complete email". I had to call them to mark my recommendation letters complete. Did this happen with anyone else?

All the items on my file have green checkmarks, but I didn't get a official "complete email". I had to call them to mark my recommendation letters complete. Did this happen with anyone else?
I never got a complete email either. I don't think they actually send those. as long as everything is checked off, you should be good!

To get an idea of turnaround time on these letters, could you let us know when you interviewed?
I interviewed on 1/7 and the letter was postmarked on 2/10.

Have people been able to get a hold of the admissions through the admissions email ([email protected])? I am an accepted student and have sent two emails to that address with no replies.

It is impossible to talk to Watkins during my lunch break....... Do you guys know if they are open on Saturdays or not?

Would anyone have any information regarding how many seats are still available and when they stop interviewing?

Would anyone have any information regarding how many seats are still available and when they stop interviewing?
Don't quote me on this but the emails sent out to accepted students had 139 recipients (they strangely did not conceal the recipients). There are likely less than 30 spots left.

Don't quote me on this but the emails sent out to accepted students had 139 recipients (they strangely did not conceal the recipients). There are likely less than 30 spots left.
I met with Erin Michel in October 2013 at an AACOM conference and she said that they are restricted to a class size of 162 students. I think this means they might give out that many acceptances and then use the waitlist to get the class size to 162. I suspect a decent amount of the acceptances will be turned down if NJ residents get off the waitlist at 1 of the 3 state schools or OOS applicants get accepted elsewhere and want to avoid the 58K tuition. It's unfortunate for me since I haven't heard anything since completing my file in late October. :(

aww man :( slowly losing hope...

I met with Erin Michel in October 2013 at an AACOM conference and she said that they are restricted to a class size of 162 students. I think this means they might give out that many acceptances and then use the waitlist to get the class size to 162. I suspect a decent amount of the acceptances will be turned down if NJ residents get off the waitlist at 1 of the 3 state schools or OOS applicants get accepted elsewhere and want to avoid the 58K tuition. It's unfortunate for me since I haven't heard anything since completing my file in late October. :(
Hopefully you get an interview soon. I do believe there is very high movement on the waitlist simply because OOS students could no longer receive IS tuition after 1 year in NJ. I was told on the day of the interview that Rowan accepted around 30-40% OOS students but only around 18% ended up attending. And there has been quite a bit of delays because of snow storm in Southern Jersey. The interviews should be conducted until April (just my estimate).

Hopefully you get an interview soon. I do believe there is very high movement on the waitlist simply because OOS students could no longer receive IS tuition after 1 year in NJ. I was told on the day of the interview that Rowan accepted around 30-40% OOS students but only around 18% ended up attending. And there has been quite a bit of delays because of snow storm in Southern Jersey. The interviews should be conducted until April (just my estimate).
Any advice on how or who to reach for admissions? Whenever I call no one picks up the phone. Also do you think that I should send a letter of intent or interest and mention in it that I have an acceptance to NSUCOM but RowanSOM is my top choice as a NJ resident?

Any advice on how or who to reach for admissions? Whenever I call no one picks up the phone. Also do you think that I should send a letter of intent or interest and mention in it that I have an acceptance to NSUCOM but RowanSOM is my top choice as a NJ resident?
I personally have difficulties reaching the admissions as well (sent two emails to the admissions email with no reply whatsoever). I would suggest either calling/emailing the Assistant Director of Admissions or the Administrative Assistant if you want to ask about your status. You could call them to ask about your application status and ask if they are receptive to a letter of interest and updates. I wouldn't bring up your NSUCOM acceptance though, and based on my own experience, update letter is unlikely to change your application status unless you've had several significant accomplishments.

I personally have difficulties reaching the admissions as well (sent two emails to the admissions email with no reply whatsoever). I would suggest either calling/emailing the Assistant Director of Admissions or the Administrative Assistant if you want to ask about your status. You could call them to ask about your application status and ask if they are receptive to a letter of interest and updates. I wouldn't bring up your NSUCOM acceptance though, and based on my own experience, update letter is unlikely to change your application status unless you've had several significant accomplishments.
Thanks. Last question: Should I mention that I have received 4 ii's and not mention my acceptance?

Thanks. Last question: Should I mention that I have received 4 ii's and not mention my acceptance?
This is just my opinion but your interview invites or acceptances elsewhere are not going to sway the admissions. To put it bluntly, the school is not short of qualified candidates, and the admissions are certainly not afraid of letting go a few qualified candidates. Informing them of your other ii or acceptances is not going to change anything.

I called earlier in the week, I think I spoke with April who told me they would interview through the month of April. As far as being complete goes, I was all wrapped up back in Aug and am in-state with what I think would be pretty decent stats to give me a shot at this school, but no luck here unfortunately. Ill keep my fingers crossed, on some level I think we all have a preference for our state schools =)

Does the nature of this email suggest that all of these recipients have decided to go to the school/paid the deposit?

Does the nature of this email suggest that all of these recipients have decided to go to the school/paid the deposit?
More likely paid the deposit but not necessarily set on to matriculate. Remember the deposit is only 195 with no second deposit, unlike other schools. And also note that applicants accepted are likely borderline competitive or very competitive for MD schools to begin with, especially the OOS students. Don't read too much into the number. There are still two months left for interviews.

Just wondering if anyone's gotten the health information yet. Checklist says it will be sent in February, and we're fast running out of February.

OOS, accepted on Friday
Secondary completed mid Nov.
Interviewed last week of January

I just received a secondary yesterday as well.

Do they expect you to use up the entire 750 words per essay question? They seem to be very similar and it's difficult not using the same information in each question.

I just received a secondary yesterday as well.

Do they expect you to use up the entire 750 words per essay question? They seem to be very similar and it's difficult not using the same information in each question.

medlifecrisis was referring to an "interview invite" which is commonly denoted as II on SDN. With regards to your actual question, I did not go up to the limit on any question. The admissions committee seemed like they just put that limit to ensure no one would be cut off, but would not expect you to fill it up if you didn't need to.

medlifecrisis was referring to an "interview invite" which is commonly denoted as II on SDN. With regards to your actual question, I did not go up to the limit on any question. The admissions committee seemed like they just put that limit to ensure no one would be cut off, but would not expect you to fill it up if you didn't need to.

I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Does anyone know how often they meet up and send interview invites? I was hoping for some Jersey love..IS

When do those that are accepted have to make a decision by?

I'm really trying to get an interview here so I was wondering if anyone knows if rowan considers letter of recs from current students attending rowansom... I have a friend at the med school that said she heard another Ned student sent one in for another applicant and said she'd write me one if it could help get an interview... I just wanna make sure rowansom doesn't look down on these letters before submitting one... Would wanna hurt my chances of getting in for a silly mistake like that.... Anyone sent one in or have any input?