Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am waiting, I interviewed 2/18. Pretty nervous to be honest. This is my number one choice. I think they are meeting tomorrow because I don't think they met last week. From my understanding it is a bi weekly schedule. Also I called earlier this week and they said a staff member was away on site visits. This person returned sometime this week and will be calling to inform applicants of the committee decisions.
Yeah I called and spoke with Marisol last week Mon. I interviewed 2/27 and she said they are meeting 2/20 tmr

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, I really appreciate this post! Gives me some hope. I was accepted elsewhere, but I love this school. If I don't get in this cycle, I will defer my other acceptance to reapply next year. My friends attend here, I am close to the school and every time I've visited there was such a good and positive vibe. The admissions office is always so friendly and my interviewer was so nice. Fingers crossed for an acceptance tomorrow.

It sounds like we're in the same boat! I think it's safe to say that if we get a call tomorrow evening it will be an acceptance if not it's either a wait list or rejection. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I called and spoke with Marisol last week Mon. I interviewed 2/27 and she said they are meeting 2/20 tmr

Good luck! I will post here if and when I hear from someone in admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your post! As an out of state student, how was finding housing? Any suggests of good apartment complexes nearby?

Congrats on your acceptance! Finding housing is super easy. Once May/June swings around someone from admissions will send out daily emails on available apartments/condos/houses in the area. As far as suggestions, it depends on what you're personally looking for. I study a lot from home so I knew that I wanted to live somewhere super nice. Unfortunately this is South Jersey so many of the apartments in the area are old and outdated. However, I live in "Glen Eyre" luxury apartments.. everything is brand new, washer & dryer, gym, etc.. but I pay a lot more than those who share a 5 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms. It's all about preference :)

Also, I really appreciate this post! Gives me some hope. I was accepted elsewhere, but I love this school. If I don't get in this cycle, I will defer my other acceptance to reapply next year. My friends attend here, I am close to the school and every time I've visited there was such a good and positive vibe. The admissions office is always so friendly and my interviewer was so nice. Fingers crossed for an acceptance tomorrow.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! Fingers crossed

Hey guys, there is a strong possibility today that the acceptance calls won't go out today. I was told by a friend that they are busy with some match day stuff, so look forward to next week on Tuesday, or Wednesday. I was relieved to get this news and I'd hate for you all to go the weekend wondering, so I figured I'd pass it on. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hey guys, there is a strong possibility today that the acceptance calls won't go out today. I was told by a friend that they are busy with some match day stuff, so look forward to next week on Tuesday, or Wednesday. I was relieved to get this news and I'd hate for you all to go the weekend wondering, so I figured I'd pass it on. Have a great weekend everyone.
Thanks!!
So good to knoe

Thanks for the update! @medlifecrisis from skimming through previous posts it seems like the calls usually go out between 2-9pm.

For those who did interview here, how did you guys get your interviewer's contact information?
I forgot to ask after my interview, and I cant find his email address.. (Dr. Walters).

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who did interview here, how did you guys get your interviewer's contact information?
I forgot to ask after my interview, and I cant find his email address.. (Dr. Walters).
I got mine during the interview. Try the school website.

Walters, Richard Lawrence
No Phone
[email protected]
General Internal Medicine

From their online directory, assuming this is who you mean

Guys,

I really need your help and advise. I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown with this whole application process and admissions hasn't been helpful.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to apply late. My secondary was complete Feb 15th and I haven't heard back from Rowan. Rowan is my state school (I'm a NJ resident) and I would truly prefer going here.
My stats are : 3.1 overall, 3.1 SGPA, 25 MCAT (took it once), DO letter (shadowed), MD letter (another shadowing), 3 letters of recommendation, committee letter.
I'm a non-trad student who is a bit older and have had a quite a few disadvantages growing up (immigrant family, lack of resources, having to work since the age of 14, very bad family circumstances, challenging life in general -however I keep on persevering) , however I got my post-bacc from UVA (saved money to pay for it) and did my best to raise my GPA. I have excellent professional recommendations and life experience backed up by my achievements in the professional field, which illustrate my maturity, perseverance, etc. All my essays are very well thought out. My last 2 semesters at UVA have above 3.5 sGPA. I went in there with no prep and I believe did exceptionally well for someone with no medical background. (I was a business major in college).

I received a ton of secondaries (Rowan, NYIT, Touro (CA ,Harlem, Middletown), NYIT, PCOM (both campuses), Nova, Alabama COM and turned them around within 3 days to each one of the institutions. I have received ZERO interview invitations and my hope is in the dumpster. I mean, is there something wrong with me? Of course, I realize I applied late.
This waiting process is starting to screw with my mind to the point where I feel like I am losing it. If I had at least 1 interview, I would somehow feel better. But I have absolutely nothing. And all these years of hard work are for nothing, it seems like. Sorry, I had to vent. There is no one else I could talk to about this.

I wish you all the best with your acceptances .

Guys,

I really need your help and advise. I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown with this whole application process and admissions hasn't been helpful.

Due to circumstances beyond my control I had to apply late. My secondary was complete Feb 15th and I haven't heard back from Rowan. Rowan is my state school (I'm a NJ resident) and I would truly prefer going here.
My stats are : 3.1 overall, 3.1 SGPA, 25 MCAT (took it once), DO letter (shadowed), MD letter (another shadowing), 3 letters of recommendation, committee letter.
I'm a non-trad student who is a bit older and have had a quite a few disadvantages growing up (immigrant family, lack of resources, having to work since the age of 14, very bad family circumstances, challenging life in general -however I keep on persevering) , however I got my post-bacc from UVA (saved money to pay for it) and did my best to raise my GPA. I have excellent professional recommendations and life experience backed up by my achievements in the professional field, which illustrate my maturity, perseverance, etc. All my essays are very well thought out. My last 2 semesters at UVA have above 3.5 sGPA. I went in there with no prep and I believe did exceptionally well for someone with no medical background. (I was a business major in college).

I received a ton of secondaries (Rowan, NYIT, Touro (CA ,Harlem, Middletown), NYIT, PCOM (both campuses), Nova, Alabama COM and turned them around within 3 days to each one of the institutions. I have received ZERO interview invitations and my hope is in the dumpster. I mean, is there something wrong with me? Of course, I realize I applied late.
This waiting process is starting to screw with my mind to the point where I feel like I am losing it. If I had at least 1 interview, I would somehow feel better. But I have absolutely nothing. And all these years of hard work are for nothing, it seems like. Sorry, I had to vent. There is no one else I could talk to about this.

I would advise you to retake the mcat and try to get 30+ with that GPA. Right now, you applied too top-heavy and 25/post bacc 3.5 is not enough for those schools (unless you are URM?)
Retake mcat with lots of practice and apply broadly day 1 next cycle. Keep an open mind because even then the top DO schools may not extend an ii, but you will get in somewhere and be a doctor.
Good luck

Guys,

I would have advised not to apply this late but what's done is done. As a re-applicant, you would need to build up a better application for the cycle. The positive is that your post-bacc GPA is not bad but your MCAT is still too low. If you apply early next cycle (i.e. submit on day 1, June 1st) and apply to more newer schools, you should be able to land multiple interviews. You should also evaluate your extracurriculars (do you have enough clinical experience and community service?).

Guys,

Hey, first of all, don't let this process get the best of you. You have done your work and all you can for this cycle, if something happens, great. If not, so be it. If you have to reapply, it isn't the end of the world, obviously it isn't ideal either, but just remember this is the long run. Instant gratification isn't something that happens for developing a career like this.

The practical advice I have is pretty much well put by everyone else in this thread. MCAT could come up, but if not, you should still have a shot at some schools, if you apply early. Keep in mind my stats are slightly higher than yours, similar GPA, higher MCAT and I was complete in November (which is still considered very late). I only received 2 interviews, only 1 DO, Rowan, which is what I'm hoping for. If I don't get in, I am deferring my acceptance to the other school and reapplying the day the apps open the next cycle.

Mistakes are mistakes, man. Just don't repeat them. Best of luck!

Does anyone know if the committee met on Friday? Should we expect calls today?

I think it was supposed to be this Tuesday or Wednesday, not sure. I used my self-imposed 1 call per 7 days limit haha, so I'll wait it out till Wednesday gnawing my fingernails off.

LOL! If we don't hear anything I may call this afternoon.

I would advise you to retake the mcat and try to get 30+ with that GPA. Right now, you applied too top-heavy and 25/post bacc 3.5 is not enough for those schools (unless you are URM?)
Retake mcat with lots of practice and apply broadly day 1 next cycle. Keep an open mind because even then the top DO schools may not extend an ii, but you will get in somewhere and be a doctor.
Good luck
Thanks , I am studying for the MCAT as we speak...I have it scheduled for April 18th and hopefully, with a ton of practice, I should raise my score to 30 plus. I am not a URM, (had to look that up), I am 26 and white (slovakian), so there is no advantage from that standpoint. Thank you for your advise. I basically applied to every single school I could last cycle (it was a ton of money). Would you suggest to do the same this time?

Hey, first of all, don't let this process get the best of you. You have done your work and all you can for this cycle, if something happens, great. If not, so be it. If you have to reapply, it isn't the end of the world, obviously it isn't ideal either, but just remember this is the long run. Instant gratification isn't something that happens for developing a career like this.

The practical advice I have is pretty much well put by everyone else in this thread. MCAT could come up, but if not, you should still have a shot at some schools, if you apply early. Keep in mind my stats are slightly higher than yours, similar GPA, higher MCAT and I was complete in November (which is still considered very late). I only received 2 interviews, only 1 DO, Rowan, which is what I'm hoping for. If I don't get in, I am deferring my acceptance to the other school and reapplying the day the apps open the next cycle.

Mistakes are mistakes, man. Just don't repeat them. Best of luck!
Thanks KS, I truly appreciate the kind words and advise. I will make sure to apply the first day the AACOMAS and AMCAS opens up.
I'll take my MCAT again, hopefully with a bit more practice I should fare well. I was having a bit of a nervous breakdown the other day and your words and the other person's snapped me back into reality. ( to the point where I was emailing St. George in the Caribbean LOL) Kind of easy to spiral down into a dumpster full of self-pity, negative thinking and all kinds of other nonsense.

I hope you get into Rowan, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. If you don't get it, then I am sure you'll get in next time. I'll keep checking the forum the see any updates.

I would have advised not to apply this late but what's done is done. As a re-applicant, you would need to build up a better application for the cycle. The positive is that your post-bacc GPA is not bad but your MCAT is still too low. If you apply early next cycle (i.e. submit on day 1, June 1st) and apply to more newer schools, you should be able to land multiple interviews. You should also evaluate your extracurriculars (do you have enough clinical experience and community service?).
Applying early is the key for me , considering I am not the most stellar applicant, but I will retake my MCAT as well. My extracurriculars are not the best, however I am working on improving my volunteer experience. Thank you for taking time to respond to me. All the best to you.

Anybody have questions, feel free to PM me. I'm a second yr & I know a lot bout admissions
Good luck everybody!

Ugh, I know. Luckily I have my thesis to write and defend this month to distract me. Haha, not, this is also an extremely anxiety ridden task. To quote the greatest news anchor of all time, "I feel like I'm in a glass case of emotion."

Reactions: 2 users
anybody hear anything yet?

Word from the students is that they had very bad weather, and the campus was closed for most of Friday. So, I doubt they had the committee meeting. They will most likely have one this week. We should know something by Friday evening. Here's to hoping!

Word from the students is that they had very bad weather, and the campus was closed for most of Friday. So, I doubt they had the committee meeting. They will most likely have one this week. We should know something by Friday evening. Here's to hoping!
welp now i can stop frantically checking sdn LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL ill see u all on Friday!!! goodluck everyone

I received a call from admissions. Missed it. They left a message to call them back. No idea what that means. Now I am so scared.

I received a call from admissions. Missed it. They left a message to call them back. No idea what that means. Now I am so scared.
OMG what time?!?!?!?ahhhhh did they leave a message?? call back! LOL; when did u interview??

It's a good thing!! Don't be scared!! :) if you don't mind sharing, what time did they call you?

I also received a call today and missed it ):

5:12 pm. Thanks!
yep. I would assume that's an acceptance call!! They make most of them between 5-6pm-ish! ...and they wouldn't call if you were waitlisted or rejected. Congrats!!!

I also received a call today and missed it ):
It's a good thing!! Don't be scared!! :) if you don't mind sharing, what time did they call you?

I'm almost certain those were acceptance calls. Congrats guys! Please update the thread as soon as you hear back officially. This news has made me even more anxious. OMG! @anaxx when did you interview?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm almost certain those were acceptance calls. Congrats guys! Please update the thread as soon as you hear back officially. This news has made me even more anxious. OMG! @anaxx when did you interview?
im thinking that this may be for 2/18 people..but this is good!! hopefully we all hear good news soon!!

Thanks! I interviewed the week of 2/18.

I interviewed around 2/18

I guess I will be waiting awhile then... Interviewed 2 weeks ago. At least I know so that I won't be driving myself crazy waiting for a phone call lol Thanks for replying.

Hey guys I have some weird news. I was place on a hold list. It is apparently different than the waitlist. I was told that it means the committee liked your app enough that they would've liked to offer you a seat and that you met the qualifications that they were looking for, however, there are no seats left to offer. I guess that differs from the waitlist in that despite there being seats, you are not offered one initially.

So... I wait again. If anyone else has clarification on this status, or updates let me know. @anaxx what was your status from the phone call, if you don't mind?

Good luck, guys and gals.