Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Traffic rules for aacomas anyone ? I remember seeing it on a thread but can't find it...
I thought they didn't have those rules? I always thought they threw around that May15 date because of the fact that a lot of people get accepted to MD schools after their May 15 deadline and have resulting WL movement for other MD/DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Traffic rules for aacomas anyone ? I remember seeing it on a thread but can't find it...
I would check the aacomas website. The traffic rules are definitely not as well know as the amcas ones. But aacomas has a whole guide on their website with all the information that is easy to sort through. If that doesn't work, you can probably just google aacomas traffic rules

Overview:

AACOMAS traffic guideline schedule:
• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
• Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
• Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days.
• Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.
• After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.

For the full deal:

https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2015cib_p21-23.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here and would like to help with a few clarifications.

The hold list and waitlist are definitely different. I think the previous poster that mentioned the hold list is referring to the waitlist/alternate list. I know people that came off of both, the hold list will land you an acceptance faster and will likely move sooner. If you received something in the mail you were probably on the waitlist - not the hold list that the other posters are mentioning.

That being said if you are on the hold list your chances of getting in are probably great. Waitlist chances are good as well, especially the top 25% or so. There is always a fair amount of waitlist movement every year, that hasn't really changed over the years. I think this is mainly because the bar for receiving an interview keeps increasing and everything else has stayed fairly proportional (waitlist movement, outright acceptances, etc). So it is definitely harder to get an interview each year, but once you are in that pool of people chances of a final acceptance are probably the same as previous years. There will still be people dropping acceptances for MD schools, schools closer to home, etc.

In terms of realistic advice for people planning on applying next year or reapplying, etc - you need to have balanced ECs that show your interest in medicine (research is great too) and a basic understanding of what being a DO entails. Grades are obviously important - especially for this school. Realistically, the path of least resistance to an acceptance for most people would be a 3.5+ and 28+.

If you are on a hold or waitlist, keep in touch with them and you can also send an LOI. It definitely doesn't hurt. Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 2 users
Current student here and would like to help with a few clarifications.

The hold list and waitlist are definitely different. I think the previous poster that mentioned the hold list is referring to the waitlist/alternate list. I know people that came off of both, the hold list will land you an acceptance faster and will likely move sooner. If you received something in the mail you were probably on the waitlist - not the hold list that the other posters are mentioning.

That being said if you are on the hold list your chances of getting in are probably great. Waitlist chances are good as well, especially the top 25% or so. There is always a fair amount of waitlist movement every year, that hasn't really changed over the years. I think this is mainly because the bar for receiving an interview keeps increasing and everything else has stayed fairly proportional (waitlist movement, outright acceptances, etc). So it is definitely harder to get an interview each year, but once you are in that pool of people chances of a final acceptance are probably the same as previous years. There will still be people dropping acceptances for MD schools, schools closer to home, etc.

In terms of realistic advice for people planning on applying next year or reapplying, etc - you need to have balanced ECs that show your interest in medicine (research is great too) and a basic understanding of what being a DO entails. Grades are obviously important - especially for this school. Realistically, the path of least resistance to an acceptance for most people would be a 3.5+ and 28+.

If you are on a hold or waitlist, keep in touch with them and you can also send an LOI. It definitely doesn't hurt. Best of luck to all of you!

Thanks for the info, gives me some hope! Still crossing my fingers for acceptance off the hold list.

So it is definitely harder to get an interview each year

That's true. One of the women in the office during my interview day told me that this year is the most competitive one she's ever seen and told us to be proud of ourselves for receiving an ii.

Reactions: 1 user
Ill be interviewing next week, does anyone have any advice? I know theres some posts further back but I was just wondering if any of the more recent interviewees had any more insight. I got the invite last monday and they were interviewing on the 22 and 24th of April....I'm just nervous as I know this is one of the last interview dates

Ill be interviewing next week, does anyone have any advice? I know theres some posts further back but I was just wondering if any of the more recent interviewees had any more insight. I got the invite last monday and they were interviewing on the 22 and 24th of April....I'm just nervous as I know this is one of the last interview dates

My particular interview was very laid back. My interviewer really encouraged me to bring up any topics I felt I should mention. He only asked maybe 3 or 4 specific questions but they all pertained to things on my application. Except one question about what I think I'd specialize in. Otherwise it was very interviewee directed. What I also liked about my interviewer is that he gave me feedback in his expressions and even his comments. With that said, I have heard from others that there are interviewers that give no feedback at all. As in they may not smile, nod anything. So be prepared and just keep on talking whether your interviewer responds or not. I think the "stiff" tactic just works for some interviewers. Good luck

does anyone know how many people are on the alternate list at this moment?

There are two lists apparently. One hold list and one wait list. There are no real numbers for either, some speculation. I know of about 5 SDN'ers on the hold list. There could be several more though. I have no idea about the waitlist. In the past cycles I think I remember seeing it was close to, if not, exceeding, 200; approx 20-30% get in. This is all conjecture though

Don't take this too seriously because its just a theory of mine based on what I know. RowanSOM told me that they had 5,600 applications & they interview 10% of that. (I was told on my interview day kind of as a "congrats you made it this far"). So 10% of 5,600 is 560. The class has 162 seats. That makes 398 left. They said they rarely ever reject, only accept and waitlist. So I'd guess the list starts out that size but from what I understand they get get a ton of movement bc of their low deposit amount and the fact that many of their top applicants chose MD schools. When may comes I think they will let you know your ranking.

Do they rank the waitlist with GPA + MCAT only?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!! Got a phone call this past Friday.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you. Yeah I think there is movement now. I interviewed March 20.

Admissions said they are interviewing until May...

It wasn't on the choices for interview dates. The last option was Friday but maybe they added more.
remember that they are behind because of the switch to online secondaries. It's totally possible that they may have added one or two interviews on the end. I would check with the admissions office though - they will know for sure when the last interview is!!

I interviewed here last week and April (who is super sweet and amazing) said they will be interviewing into May ! There's still hope out there everyone! :):):)

Withdrew my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you guys and makes a dream come true!

Thanks for the heads! Good Luck!

Did anyone realize that its not May 15 for final MD decision day ?! Its April 30th ! I was on another thread and someone said that so I called AMCAS and they confirmed that it is indeed April 30th. However, Rowan has had little to no movement this week. :/ Just thought I'd share.

That date has still not passed, also we already know there is movement from the hold list. Don't worry so much. I think the additional interviews may slow this process down as well, but remember, apparently, Rowan is behind on things to begin with. I was hoping to hear something by mid-May, if anything at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is later than that for some of the hold list/wait list.

Also, all we can do is wait anyhow, it is there decision, yah know? We did what we could and it is mostly of out of our hands now.

That date has still not passed, also we already know there is movement from the hold list. Don't worry so much. I think the additional interviews may slow this process down as well, but remember, apparently, Rowan is behind on things to begin with. I was hoping to hear something by mid-May, if anything at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is later than that for some of the hold list/wait list.

I agree worrying doesn't really help much. I was just so surprised to hear that the date wasnt May 15 like we all thought and additionally that there was little movement. But like you said, the date hasn't passed yet so maybe in the next few weeks we'll get some updates. Best of luck to all of you in this coming month !!!

anyone receive any phone calls today?

Nothing :/ im going to call Mon.... Hoping that end of april was the last week of interivews

Last edited:
Got the call yesterday, ACCEPTED!!! I could not be happier as this is my number one!!! GL to everyone else and I look forward to meeting the rest of the class in August!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call yesterday, ACCEPTED!!! I could not be happier as this is my number one!!! GL to everyone else and I look forward to meeting the rest of the class in August!

Congratulations !!! So happy for you.

Congrats!! When did you interview?

Last week
That's a great turn around time for you! It looks like there won't be much movement for people on the hold list until interviews are done as they're giving first chance to those who are still interviewing.

Rowan SOM is my first choice. I absolutely loved the school and the staff so I'm definitely going to be going. When I interviewed the staff was very optimistic about people being accepted off the hold list so don't give up hope, you could get that phone call any day now. Good luck guys!

Reactions: 3 users
anyone know if they are still supposedly having May interviews?

I would assume that they have concluded their interviews for this cycle since the last admissions committee meeting was this past Friday.

So alittle bit of an update just got off the phone with Marisol who did confirm that last committee interview was this past friday. So we should see some movement on the hold list. She did say that the majority of the scoring/ranking etc of hold list is based off of your interview, so someone who interviewed after you and did BOMb on the interview may get an interview invite before you do. She said that she wasnt allowed to tell us exactly where we are on the list but if say Ms. Watkins will than thats her choice.
On a brighter note she stressed the difference between the 'hold' and 'waitlist.' She said hold list is definitely promising but again NO GUARANTEE because she cant say for sure whether they may have a fluke and all 162 people may accept and keep their seat..that those on hold should hear more in the coming weeks.
Lastly:
8/2, Sunday- white coat ceremony
8/3-8/7, Monday to Friday- orientation
8/10, Monday- classes begin

Good luck alll!!! fingers crossed we see some movement!!! I think this shows lots of promise! :)

Last edited: