Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol, I'll eat my words. I just got the acceptance call.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like it's the waitlist for me then...

Has anyone called the office? I tried to call but it went straight to voicemail

Anyone know if this school offers scholarships along with acceptances? I would absolutely love to attend this school, but I will be paying OOS tuition, which is a bit steep for me ($59,000 annually). Anyone has any idea?

Just got an II here! So excited! Do you know the post acceptance rate?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They actually don't reject if you have interviewed, I was told this by admissions. But check the portal, mine was updated with the waitlist notice at least a week before I got the letter in the mail. Good luck!

What do you mean, they don't reject? As in they don't formally reject, but its a silent rejection? Or do you mean that if you have an interview you're pretty much in?

What do you mean, they don't reject? As in they don't formally reject, but its a silent rejection? Or do you mean that if you have an interview you're pretty much in?
I think he means all non acceptances after interviews result in waitlists

II today!! sooo excited! Anyone got any advice?!

Nothing tricky to prepare for. Know your application well, know why you want to attend RowanSOM, etc. It's a conversational interview where they want to get to know you and understand your motivation for wanting to be a DO and why you want to attend this school specifically.

Reactions: 1 user
Is rowan receptive to students walking in to drop the deposit or is it better to just send it by mail?

Is rowan receptive to students walking in to drop the deposit or is it better to just send it by mail?

they've been known to rescind acceptances if you simply mail them (it shows a lack of conviction).

i'd drop it off in person

Good luck :thumbup:

Interview Invite!

Was complete mid-September if that helps anyone out. I am IS re-applicant with an average cGPA, above average SGPA, and just slightly above average MCAT. Will not be long now guys! Keep in there!

Interview Invite!

Was complete mid-September if that helps anyone out. I am IS re-applicant with an average cGPA, above average SGPA, and just slightly above average MCAT. Will not be long now guys! Keep in there!
What date did they give you??

What date did they give you??

They give you a choice using the online system. I chose mid-December because I want a little bit of time to prepare, but there are some dates still open for early-ish December too.

+1 how should we prep??

Know the basics, what is a DO, why RowanSOM, some outside hobbies and etc. Remember to prep a good intro for yourself. Also, remember to be yourself! I prepped by looking in the mirror to make sure I didn't show any negative body language but that may have been a little much hahah.

they've been known to rescind acceptances if you simply mail them (it shows a lack of conviction).

i'd drop it off in person

Good luck :thumbup:

What? Really? I have NEVER heard of that.

They give you a choice using the online system. I chose mid-December because I want a little bit of time to prepare, but there are some dates still open for early-ish December too.
Yeah it was weird, they called me a gave me a date instead of letting me choose. Hmmm maybe I'll call and see if I can get an earlier date!

Hello guys, I would like to share my experience with interviewing at RowanSOM. Hope this helps all those of you who have recently gotten your Interview Invites (Congrats!!!)

My interview was for the PM session, and to be specific, my interview was at 3pm. For the PM sessions, I needed to be at the admissions office at 10:30AM. You sign in with the secretary at the front desk (April) and then she will take a picture of you for the records. April is an AMAZINGLY nice lady, VERY friendly and helpful. She def did help me ease my tensions and stress levels. There are a few refreshments in the office as well (bagels, jelly-filled donuts, coffee, tea etc.) to which we can help ourselves with. Paula Watkins (Asst Dean of Admissions) then walks in and gives you an overview of the program and you could ask her any questions you may have. She is also a VERY helpful and friendly person. After that, we all watched a video which is about 15 mins long in where you learn about the school, and the various programs it offers. Once the video is over, We got a chance to sit in one of the first year classes. For us, it was Biochemistry. I felt that this was a unique experience with this school, because you get to know what it feels like first hand to be a first year student. You also get to talk to students about how they feel about RowanSOM, what to expect, the lecture layouts, etc - which I thought was as close as you could get to getting all and any first hand information as a medical student. Once the class is over, you get back to the admissions office, and there will be 2 second year students waiting for you. They will take you on a tour to see the entire school, and answer any other questions you may have about the school and/or the interview. Once the tour is over, you will be taken back to the admissions office, in where you will wait till it's your turn to interview. We got called in one at a time, according to our time slots. I didn't know who my interviewer was, so I asked April who it was going to be, and she told me who it was going to be and what her position is/working as. I felt that this was VERY critical for the interviewee - as you get to frame your answers to become even more specific.

As for the interview itself, it was VERYYYYY laid back. I almost felt as if I was having a conversation with a medical professional over some tea and cookies. Yes. It was THAT laid back. We spoke for an hour (supposed to be a 30 min interview...yikes!) about various aspects of my application. Tip - KNOW your primary and secondary applications INSIDE OUT. The questions that I was asked were VERY SPECIFIC to my file. IF you have done research, know what it is about, medical implications for the future, what and why you did each experiment/trial etc. Also have a couple of specific examples to share for each of your medical experiences as an EMT etc. You will be asked about your grades and MCAT and should be prepared to explain any weaknesses in your file and how you have overcome that weakness. Also, be ready to exploit all the strengths in your file and make them shine through your words. After the interview, you are free to go!

I hope I have helped all those in the future who will be interviewing here at RowanSOM. It is SUCH a good school, and it has DEF been a pleasure interviewing here. Good luck to all of you!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah it was weird, they called me a gave me a date instead of letting me choose. Hmmm maybe I'll call and see if I can get an earlier date!

Yeah it might depend on whether or not they need to fill up early slots. If they called me asking if I could do it tomorrow, then I would definitely have taken them up on it haha. Also, I can confirm, April is absolutely amazing. She remembered my first name when I called a month or so ago.

that was sarcasm guys :smack:

I should have known by the tone of your voice ;p

Yeah it might depend on whether or not they need to fill up early slots. If they called me asking if I could do it tomorrow, then I would definitely have taken them up on it haha. Also, I can confirm, April is absolutely amazing. She remembered my first name when I called a month or so ago.

April is your best friend during all of this. She is amazing. Just to add onto your day, if you do get a chance to shadow a class please feel free to ask us what it's like. Any questions you have, this is your time and we don't judge. I highly recommend asking the students just to make sure the school is right for you. I can't speak for the 1st years but I know us 2nd years love to answer questions (pretty sure 1st years do too). If an applicant sits in on one of our classes, we'll usually approach you during break and ask if you have any questions. Most of all, enjoy your day.

Interviewing on Friday, OOS! Who's staying at the Hampton Inn?

Last edited:
To any current students or past interviewees:

Where exactly do we have to go when we get to campus? I think I remember reading to go to admissions, but which building is that? I feel like this should be detailed somewhere but I can't find any directions on where to exactly go in the II or confirmation email.

Here is a map: http://www.rowan.edu/som/about/docs/strat.pdf

Thanks!
I believe the entrance is to the right side (if your back is facing the main road) of building three on the map. There will be a lobby with stairs where you can go to second floor and then to straight to where it says office of admissions.

I believe the entrance is to the right side (if your back is facing the main road) of building three on the map. There will be a lobby with stairs where you can go to second floor and then to straight to where it says office of admissions.

In the academic center there is 1 staircase in the center of the lobby, go up to the 2nd floor, right after the stairs make a slight right to the hallway, first open door on the right, make a right turn and go straight to April's desk to check in. There are tons of signs now so I wouldn't worry about getting lost.

Accepted!!! I am sooo psyched! :soexcited:

Anyone know if there is a facebook group for the Rowan SOM Class of 2019?!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone whose application has been complete since around November 3 or later heard back about a ii ?

Repost from another thread (not sure if it's allowed) but does anyone know how the lottery system works for choosing rotation sites? Also if there are pros/cons to each track (north jersey vs. south jersey), as in the intensity/quality/scope of the clinical areas, whether didactics or teaching differ, which is better for a particular specialty? I couldn't find any information specifically about these questions by searching so if someone has experience please let me know!

Are they responsive to emails? I called last week and no one picked up so I left and message. Then emailed recently. Wondering if I should just call back another day.

Has anyone whose application has been complete since around November 3 or later heard back about a ii ?

I was complete mid October. As far as I know no one who was complete when I was or after has been given ii

Submitted way back in the summer, good numbers both gpa and mcat, yet still no II from Rowan. anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 2 users
Same here. Complete since early October and no II. Anyone thinking about emailing/calling admissions? Or is it still too soon?

Been complete since Sept 4th... and nothing...... Rowan why you show no love? :/

(Stats: 3.37 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, 28 MCAT, strong ECs, IS)