Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Repost from another thread (not sure if it's allowed) but does anyone know how the lottery system works for choosing rotation sites? Also if there are pros/cons to each track (north jersey vs. south jersey), as in the intensity/quality/scope of the clinical areas, whether didactics or teaching differ, which is better for a particular specialty? I couldn't find any information specifically about these questions by searching so if someone has experience please let me know!

I could literally write a 5 page paper on each rotation site. Ones to choose from are Jersey City (Christ Hospital), Morristown/Overlook, Kennedy (South Jersey by school), Ocean County, Vineland, and Atlantic City which just opened up today. Just basics, each area has their own specialties and you can rotate through all of them once your electives hit in 4th year (pending on spots). For your core rotations you pick one in a lottery system format as we will be doing soon. I am not going to go through all of them but all of the sites will cover just about any specialty you want. From what it sounds like, each site will also help you get into residencies in their hospital if you show dedication and hard work. If you have a specific specialty in mind you can feel free to PM me. I may delay in getting back to you due to my exams but I promise, I will get back to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

+2 I was complete even before that point, I wasn't gonna call though because I am thinking they are waiting for my fall classes to post. With the whole issue with the portal I think its really hard to gauge where there are in the process. If they aren't waiting on anything for you maybe its more of indication to call but I think I am just gonna give them time...it's hard though when this is your top choice school!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Interview in less than a week. Preparing hard. Ready to show them why I fit at Rowan and not with those timid souls.

Seriously everyone, Good Luck. I'm excited to see who I'm interviewing with this year. I think the office is still bogged down, but you will get the II soon. Then CRUSH IT!

Here's to the future Rowan class of 2019.

Reactions: 4 users
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Interview in less than a week. Preparing hard. Ready to show them why I fit at Rowan and not with those timid souls.

Seriously everyone, Good Luck. I'm excited to see who I'm interviewing with this year. I think the office is still bogged down, but you will get the II soon. Then CRUSH IT!

Here's to the future Rowan class of 2019.
I think your a reapplicant like me right? This is your year! You got this.

Hi everyone. I am currently working on my secondary---I know it's late but I'm hoping I still have a shot! Trying to decide whether or not to do the optional essay, I don't really have any SIGNIFICANT barriers that I feel I can speak about.

Wish me luck,adn good luck to all of you!

Hi everyone. I am currently working on my secondary---I know it's late but I'm hoping I still have a shot! Trying to decide whether or not to do the optional essay, I don't really have any SIGNIFICANT barriers that I feel I can speak about.

Wish me luck,adn good luck to all of you!

Good Luck, if you check back through the thread it appears that alot of people did what you did and skipped the optional section. Nothing is worse than the admissions committee seeing someone put "Getting a C in Chemistry I" as a significant barrier haha. I think it's just a nice section for people who have overcome great adversity and have had their grades affected as a result. Or even as a way to display an extraordinary attribute about yourself regardless of grades.

Your not too late, although applying early is always beneficial as rolling admissions make it harder and harder to secure a spot later in the cycle. The great thing though is despite it being December we are more like in October/November due to the new online system. They will probably interview into late April like last year. The wonderful thing about the DO application cycle is that it runs much later than the MD one.

I got an ii today!! Complete 10/5/14, New Jersey resident

Reactions: 6 users
Same here. Interviewing on December 29. Does anyone know if it's rolling admissions? Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here. Interviewing on December 29. Does anyone know if it's rolling admissions? Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

Yes, it's rolling admissions. But I think they might have started later than they wanted to. So I don't know when it will end

Edit: Why does my post autocorrect to tis.

Last edited:

Last edited:
I received the call as well! I interviewed 12/9 -- faster turnaround than I expected, but certainly not complaining! Congrats to others accepted, and good luck to everyone waiting for the call!

So what does it mean if I heard nothing at all yesterday? My group was told that we'd hear back yesterday regardless of the outcome.

So what does it mean if I heard nothing at all yesterday? My group was told that we'd hear back yesterday regardless of the outcome.
it means you most likely are put on the alternate list. same thing happened to me. you're going to get a letter in the mail during the week but you should call the office and just double check

Hey guys I just want to see if anyones received interviews with these kind of stats. Their weird but my MCAT suffered because my dad was going through chemo during the time of preparation but I really didnt want to retake
MCAT: 26
sGPA: 3.93
cGPA: 3.86
i dont know if i should fill out a few more secondaries i received so I am just trying to see my potential in each school to weigh which ones i should throw money for.

Thanks!

Hey guys I just want to see if anyones received interviews with these kind of stats. Their weird but my MCAT suffered because my dad was going through chemo during the time of preparation but I really didnt want to retake
MCAT: 26
sGPA: 3.93
cGPA: 3.86
i dont know if i should fill out a few more secondaries i received so I am just trying to see my potential in each school to weigh which ones i should throw money for.

Thanks!
are you in-state? If so, I think you have a shot - I just got in with very similar stats

Just got an II. OOS, 3.7 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 27, 32 retake. Funny because I thought that they didn't end up accepting one of my letters and that I was never complete..

Edit: is getting IS residency and tuition possible after the first year?

Also got an II as well. Completed on Oct. 24th. Thought I was rejected pre-interview having waited quite a while. 3.43 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA, 37 MCAT.
I know Rowan gives preference to IS students but is there a specific quota (like 10% with TCOM) for international students?

Just got an II. OOS, 3.7 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 27, 32 retake. Funny because I thought that they didn't end up accepting one of my letters and that I was never complete..

Edit: is getting IS residency and tuition possible after the first year?
I believe on the website FAQs it says "Out of state residents are to pay out of state tuition continually for all four years of medical school." Based on that, I would imagine you can't get IS tuition after first year.

First of his name. 3.52, 32 IS. II raven 12/4. Interviewed mid-Dec. Acceptance raven, 12/19.

RowanSOM has bent the knee to the rightful king of Westeros.

Edit: I thought I did pretty awful at the interview; it's supposed to be relaxed and they do everything they can to make it so, but nerves got to me nonetheless (I interviewed with someone that was really nervous and he spread the anxiety). Very nice school, very helpful students, and real sense of family and pride on campus. Interview questions are pretty typical, be prepared to speak about osteopathic medicine. If you have any questions, pledge fealty to Lord Stannis Baratheon. Acceptance ravens seem to fly Friday late afternoons.

Reactions: 5 users
First of his name. 3.52, 32 IS. II raven 12/4. Interviewed mid-Dec. Acceptance raven, 12/19.

Edit: I thought I did pretty awful at the interview; it's supposed to be relaxed and they do everything they can to make it so, but nerves got to me nonetheless (I interviewed with someone that was really nervous and he spread the anxiety). Very nice school, very helpful students, and real sense of family and pride on campus. Interview questions are pretty typical, be prepared to speak about osteopathic medicine. If you have any questions, pledge fealty to Lord Stannis Baratheon. Acceptance ravens seem to fly Friday late afternoons.

Wow............ well that's creative!

I've seen you post lots of places, and I appreciate it every time.

Reactions: 1 users
Prepping for interview, and I know they have very good turn around times. Did any of you send a thank you email?

Prepping for interview, and I know they have very good turn around times. Did any of you send a thank you email?
I sent thank you emails immediately after I got home (same day). I didn't get business cards so I had to do some searching through the school directory to find the actual contact info for my interviewers.

I heard back exactly 1 week after my interview, but it seems like depending on their committee meetings turn around time can range from 1-3 weeks (still pretty great!)

PM me if you have any questions about the interview!! Happy to help and provide more detail

Also got an II as well. Completed on Oct. 24th. Thought I was rejected pre-interview having waited quite a while. 3.43 cGPA, 3.38 sGPA, 37 MCAT.
I know Rowan gives preference to IS students but is there a specific quota (like 10% with TCOM) for international students?

I believe on the website FAQs it says "Out of state residents are to pay out of state tuition continually for all four years of medical school." Based on that, I would imagine you can't get IS tuition after first year.

Thanks for the reply! However, just recently I saw that there were students who were OOS that got IS after a year or so. I think I'm just gonna call the admissions and ask.

Thanks for the reply! However, just recently I saw that there were students who were OOS that got IS after a year or so. I think I'm just gonna call the admissions and ask.

Unfortunately I was told that they no longer do this. I am an IS applicant, but it came up a few times during the tour last year. I think the last students to get this benefit were the ones entering in 2013. Check with admissions though to be sure. They could have changed it back again.

From the people who were accepted, how long did it take you to receive the acceptance package in the mail? Its almost been a week and a half and nothing has come in yet. Just want to make sure I get the deposit in on time!

Also, you can ask someone from admissions to show you a list of all the interviewers and their contact info. I think it was April who wanted to make sure we got to copy down our interviewer contact information for thank you notes before we left.

What's the acceptance rate here?? Good chance of acceptance if you got an interview?

The admissions staff will tell you that you would not be asked to interview if they didn't think you would be a great candidate. If I remember the stats correctly ~5000 applicants, ~500 interviews, 162 Spots.

From the people who were accepted, how long did it take you to receive the acceptance package in the mail? Its almost been a week and a half and nothing has come in yet. Just want to make sure I get the deposit in on time!

Also, you can ask someone from admissions to show you a list of all the interviewers and their contact info. I think it was April who wanted to make sure we got to copy down our interviewer contact information for thank you notes before we left.

Still haven't gotten mine yet either, but Erin said it would be a couple weeks before we receive it.

Has anyone else received ii since before the holidays?? Anxiously awaiting any news...

Still haven't gotten mine yet either, but Erin said it would be a couple weeks before we receive it.

To answer my own question, I emailed April and she told me that they are aiming to email out the letters on 1/5. They are waiting to find out who they are going to require to attend the Pre-Matric program before classes start so they can include that in our letters.

I believe the ADCOM meets today (for anyone who interviewed this week)

I believe the ADCOM meets today (for anyone who interviewed this week)

Yeah, I believe they meet at 1pm too (right now) which is quite intense. Hopefully some good news! Its also the holidays so I would not be too worried if we don't see anyone post today either.

Yeah, I believe they meet at 1pm too (right now) which is quite intense. Hopefully some good news! Its also the holidays so I would not be too worried if we don't see anyone post today either.

Last I spoke with the admissions office, they said the next committee meeting would be next Friday 1/9.

Last I spoke with the admissions office, they said the next committee meeting would be next Friday 1/9.

Makes sense, I was not too worried when we got silence today. I cannot imagine them hurrying back from Christmas and New Years to review our files so soon haha. One can secretly hope though :p

Can I ask when you spoke to them?

One way to look at it is that no one on SDN posted an acceptance today so thats a good indicator. Its always possible that the subset of applicants that got accepted are not SDN users, but id say that's unlikely. Looks like we shall reconvene in a week! Acceptances for EVERYONE!

Last edited:
Can I ask when you spoke to them?

I called the office on 12/29 because I knew they would be there because there were interviews scheduled that day.
I interviewed on 12/18 and was told I would not be included in the meeting they had on 12/19, and I think it was April Burton who told me the next meeting was 1/9.

Interviewed on 12/29! I know it's only been a week, but if anyone else is reading this who interviewed that day as well let me know if they hear back after the meeting on 1/9. Thanks!